Scott on ABC 774

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sunil_saint
Club Player

Scott on ABC 774

With Libby Gore ...in depth interview re his private life and times at the Saints .
Approximately 1030 with Libby Gore 774 ABC.........

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Re: Scott on ABC 774

Missed it. A summary would be good.

Thanks in advance.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
SaintWodonga
Club Player

Anyone got a link?

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

It was a great interview by someone who understands football properly
but because she's not a footy journo , didn't ask stupid cliche'd football questions .
well worth a listen if anyone can post a link

In red white and black from 73
Sunil_saint
Club Player

Well folks it wasn't too in-depth as it turned out, but both Scott and Libby were very relaxed . Interview was prerecorded probably at a cafe (background noise)

SW spoke about his early career as a Teacher and coming to grips with the practice of teaching . He later worked/assisted with educating and nurturing young juveniles through the juvenile justice system (I assumed this may have been in the West). It gave him the confidence to deal with the situations he confronts himself NOW..something he termed "working with young men".......

On asked when we could win "The Big One" he replied that we needed more development yet. He indicated his genuine desire for coaching and would not be pressed on the question "Will Dal be traded"..???

Overall, his impression was of a caring commitment to train/develop young men and see the process through at the Saints . An intelligent and articulate man ...........

Sunil_saint
Club Player

No pod cast that I can find on the ABC sorry...........

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, he gives me the impression that he is a more pastoral type coach than Lyon, and more of a teacher than Thommo, so those opinions sound about right to me.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:Yeah, he gives me the impression that he is a more pastoral type coach than Lyon, and more of a teacher than Thommo, so those opinions sound about right to me.
In the shadow of the E'dope fiasco it is skills like those you mention that will become even more valued. He just does not seem a "whatever it takes" exploitative type.

I like him and I value his efforts.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
onlooker2
Club Player

Heard part of the interview. The points I picked up from the part I heard were:

Have a plan to restructure the playing list and we will be sticking to the plan
Further changes to the list will occur before next season (as per the plan)
Would not be drawn to comment on the future of some players eg NDS other than their contributions to the team at this point in time
At this point we are 18 months into the list restructure
Stated that each game had two objectives. To win and to ensure that the younger players, individually and as a group continue to develop according to specific game goals.

I then left to go to the game but I think the interview basically finished after these comments.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote:
samuraisaint wrote:Yeah, he gives me the impression that he is a more pastoral type coach than Lyon, and more of a teacher than Thommo, so those opinions sound about right to me.
In the shadow of the E'dope fiasco it is skills like those you mention that will become even more valued. He just does not seem a "whatever it takes" exploitative type.

I like him and I value his efforts.
me too.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
philtee
Club Player

Podcast of the Scott Watters - Libbi Gorr interview now posted -
https://soundcloud.com/774-abc-melbourn ... ndays-with

(The link on the ABC Radio site has the wrong URL).
I heard the broadcast and have been waiting weeks for it to be posted.
Very impressed by SW when he said that he "wasn't a football person first, he was a PEOPLE person".

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Thankd Philtee
Some stations need to get with the modern era

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
jimmy_slats
Club Player

i get the felling by a few of his comments that we may just look hard at taking garlett in this years draft. He really made the point of mentoring young troubled indigenous kids.... Would love to see a few freakishly skilled kids in this years draft its been a while since we have drafted a real x factor type player.
Also get the impression that Dal will be traded and possibly a few others in order to shape the team into the mould they are striving to achieve.
Was such a good interview to listen to as well really different to what you usually hear.

'WALK THIS WAY!!!!!'
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

great insight into his background

and little snippets about how clubs look at other clubs
when she asks about - "did you know what you were getting into?"- "At the pies we had drilled deeeply into the saints side and fully aware of what it looked like"

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Spud02
Club Player

Thanks Philtee, very interesting. He certainly comes across as a very well-rounded guy with a long-term vision for the playing group.

Greg T
Club Player

Actually a great interview, least he knows what he's in for .
140 years and maybe this bloke will put things on the right track ...

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

And he's worked with Juveniles before so dealing with Mad Monday would have been a walk in the park for SW.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:And he's worked with Juveniles before so dealing with Mad Monday would have been a walk in the park for SW.
So we know why he blitzed the job interview.
Being able to deal with juvenile delinquent offenders certainly tops the selection criteria to coach the Saints.
I reckon Laidley would have had some experience in that area as well.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Does this mean he will chase some "project" players like A Krakouer (did jail in WA for assault) & D Martin from Tiges (allegedly luvs a drink and more)

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
GRAMophone
Club Player

Just loving having Scott on board. A great blend of resilient, articulate and competitive with ample footy smarts according to many. Don't underestimate the 'eye candy' factor for us girls as well!!

HOPELESSLY DEVOTED
gringo
Saintsational Legend

My mate who's nephew played at the Pies said that Watters was an awesome guy and heard only good things about him. Apparently there are a few a$#@ holes there though. Dennis Hine is apparently a nasty piece of work and Buckley is pretty much like how people perceive him. Malthouse was apparently not that bad which disappointed me as was Maxwell.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:My mate who's nephew played at the Pies said that Watters was an awesome guy and heard only good things about him. Apparently there are a few a$#@ holes there though. Dennis Hine is apparently a nasty piece of work and Buckley is pretty much like how people perceive him. Malthouse was apparently not that bad which disappointed me as was Maxwell.

Who is dennis Hine? I do know both his sons as they played at my local club and they are fine people. I saw that with my own eyes, not my mates brothers uncles cousin.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:My mate who's nephew played at the Pies said that Watters was an awesome guy and heard only good things about him. Apparently there are a few a$#@ holes there though. Dennis Hine is apparently a nasty piece of work and Buckley is pretty much like how people perceive him. Malthouse was apparently not that bad which disappointed me as was Maxwell.

Who is dennis Hine? I do know both his sons as they played at my local club and they are fine people. I saw that with my own eyes, not my mates brothers uncles cousin.

Hey I don't really care about what his sons are like - in a work situation he might be a C$%#. I wouldn't take a character reference from you as evidence of him being a good guy either.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Hey I don't really care about what his sons are like - in a work situation he might be a C$%#. I wouldn't take a character reference from you as evidence of him being a good guy either.

I'll back me over your brothers wifes kids best plastic dolls friend. Derrick Hine is a nice bloke. Im unsure how a player could even care about what the head of recruitment is like. After a player is drafted they arent going to have a great deal to do with each other. And if you want some more truth Im doubting SW is an awesome guy in a work situation.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: I'll back me over your brothers wifes kids best plastic dolls friend. Derrick Hine is a nice bloke. Im unsure how a player could even care about what the head of recruitment is like. After a player is drafted they arent going to have a great deal to do with each other. And if you want some more truth Im doubting SW is an awesome guy in a work situation.

I asked the guy what h thought of Watters directly and he told me from his own mouth. The only way I met him was through my mate. My mate told me Hine is a c%$# from this guys reckoning and I don't know why. He also said Bucks is an egotistic flog. Said Maxwell was a really good guy and so was Malthouse.

i find that harder to believe than Hine being nice. My kids footy coach is mates with Matthew Lloyd and he says that he's a good bloke so I'm not sure I want to believe that either.