Scott on ABC 774

Sunil_saint

Scott on ABC 774

With Libby Gore ...in depth interview re his private life and times at the Saints .
Approximately 1030 with Libby Gore 774 ABC.........

Re: Scott on ABC 774

Missed it. A summary would be good.

Thanks in advance.

SaintWodonga

Anyone got a link?

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM

It was a great interview by someone who understands football properly
but because she's not a footy journo , didn't ask stupid cliche'd football questions .
well worth a listen if anyone can post a link

Sunil_saint

Well folks it wasn't too in-depth as it turned out, but both Scott and Libby were very relaxed . Interview was prerecorded probably at a cafe (background noise)

SW spoke about his early career as a Teacher and coming to grips with the practice of teaching . He later worked/assisted with educating and nurturing young juveniles through the juvenile justice system (I assumed this may have been in the West). It gave him the confidence to deal with the situations he confronts himself NOW..something he termed "working with young men".......

On asked when we could win "The Big One" he replied that we needed more development yet. He indicated his genuine desire for coaching and would not be pressed on the question "Will Dal be traded"..???

Overall, his impression was of a caring commitment to train/develop young men and see the process through at the Saints . An intelligent and articulate man ...........

Sunil_saint

No pod cast that I can find on the ABC sorry...........

Yeah, he gives me the impression that he is a more pastoral type coach than Lyon, and more of a teacher than Thommo, so those opinions sound about right to me.

samuraisaint wrote:Yeah, he gives me the impression that he is a more pastoral type coach than Lyon, and more of a teacher than Thommo, so those opinions sound about right to me.
In the shadow of the E'dope fiasco it is skills like those you mention that will become even more valued. He just does not seem a "whatever it takes" exploitative type.

I like him and I value his efforts.

onlooker2

Heard part of the interview. The points I picked up from the part I heard were:

Have a plan to restructure the playing list and we will be sticking to the plan
Further changes to the list will occur before next season (as per the plan)
Would not be drawn to comment on the future of some players eg NDS other than their contributions to the team at this point in time
At this point we are 18 months into the list restructure
Stated that each game had two objectives. To win and to ensure that the younger players, individually and as a group continue to develop according to specific game goals.

I then left to go to the game but I think the interview basically finished after these comments.

The OtherThommo wrote:
samuraisaint wrote:Yeah, he gives me the impression that he is a more pastoral type coach than Lyon, and more of a teacher than Thommo, so those opinions sound about right to me.
In the shadow of the E'dope fiasco it is skills like those you mention that will become even more valued. He just does not seem a "whatever it takes" exploitative type.

I like him and I value his efforts.
me too.

philtee

Podcast of the Scott Watters - Libbi Gorr interview now posted -
https://soundcloud.com/774-abc-melbourn ... ndays-with

(The link on the ABC Radio site has the wrong URL).
I heard the broadcast and have been waiting weeks for it to be posted.
Very impressed by SW when he said that he "wasn't a football person first, he was a PEOPLE person".

Thankd Philtee
Some stations need to get with the modern era

jimmy_slats

i get the felling by a few of his comments that we may just look hard at taking garlett in this years draft. He really made the point of mentoring young troubled indigenous kids.... Would love to see a few freakishly skilled kids in this years draft its been a while since we have drafted a real x factor type player.
Also get the impression that Dal will be traded and possibly a few others in order to shape the team into the mould they are striving to achieve.
Was such a good interview to listen to as well really different to what you usually hear.

'WALK THIS WAY!!!!!'

great insight into his background

and little snippets about how clubs look at other clubs
when she asks about - "did you know what you were getting into?"- "At the pies we had drilled deeeply into the saints side and fully aware of what it looked like"

Spud02

Thanks Philtee, very interesting. He certainly comes across as a very well-rounded guy with a long-term vision for the playing group.

Greg T

Actually a great interview, least he knows what he's in for .
140 years and maybe this bloke will put things on the right track ...

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key

And he's worked with Juveniles before so dealing with Mad Monday would have been a walk in the park for SW.

Wayne42 wrote:And he's worked with Juveniles before so dealing with Mad Monday would have been a walk in the park for SW.
So we know why he blitzed the job interview.
Being able to deal with juvenile delinquent offenders certainly tops the selection criteria to coach the Saints.
I reckon Laidley would have had some experience in that area as well.

Does this mean he will chase some "project" players like A Krakouer (did jail in WA for assault) & D Martin from Tiges (allegedly luvs a drink and more)

GRAMophone

Just loving having Scott on board. A great blend of resilient, articulate and competitive with ample footy smarts according to many. Don't underestimate the 'eye candy' factor for us girls as well!!

HOPELESSLY DEVOTED

My mate who's nephew played at the Pies said that Watters was an awesome guy and heard only good things about him. Apparently there are a few a$#@ holes there though. Dennis Hine is apparently a nasty piece of work and Buckley is pretty much like how people perceive him. Malthouse was apparently not that bad which disappointed me as was Maxwell.

gringo wrote:My mate who's nephew played at the Pies said that Watters was an awesome guy and heard only good things about him. Apparently there are a few a$#@ holes there though. Dennis Hine is apparently a nasty piece of work and Buckley is pretty much like how people perceive him. Malthouse was apparently not that bad which disappointed me as was Maxwell.

Who is dennis Hine? I do know both his sons as they played at my local club and they are fine people. I saw that with my own eyes, not my mates brothers uncles cousin.

gringo wrote:My mate who's nephew played at the Pies said that Watters was an awesome guy and heard only good things about him. Apparently there are a few a$#@ holes there though. Dennis Hine is apparently a nasty piece of work and Buckley is pretty much like how people perceive him. Malthouse was apparently not that bad which disappointed me as was Maxwell.

Who is dennis Hine? I do know both his sons as they played at my local club and they are fine people. I saw that with my own eyes, not my mates brothers uncles cousin.

Hey I don't really care about what his sons are like - in a work situation he might be a C$%#. I wouldn't take a character reference from you as evidence of him being a good guy either.

I'll back me over your brothers wifes kids best plastic dolls friend. Derrick Hine is a nice bloke. Im unsure how a player could even care about what the head of recruitment is like. After a player is drafted they arent going to have a great deal to do with each other. And if you want some more truth Im doubting SW is an awesome guy in a work situation.

plugger66 wrote: I'll back me over your brothers wifes kids best plastic dolls friend. Derrick Hine is a nice bloke. Im unsure how a player could even care about what the head of recruitment is like. After a player is drafted they arent going to have a great deal to do with each other. And if you want some more truth Im doubting SW is an awesome guy in a work situation.

I asked the guy what h thought of Watters directly and he told me from his own mouth. The only way I met him was through my mate. My mate told me Hine is a c%$# from this guys reckoning and I don't know why. He also said Bucks is an egotistic flog. Said Maxwell was a really good guy and so was Malthouse.

i find that harder to believe than Hine being nice. My kids footy coach is mates with Matthew Lloyd and he says that he's a good bloke so I'm not sure I want to believe that either.