Shenton Might Not Make It

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Re: Shenton Might Not Make It

have to say he looked like a very good vfl player expected to play above his weight. Problem as some have mentioned is his age and length of time on rookie list. If you had the choice between ledger and him age wise you would have to go ledger. Also seems to have no weapons, average height, average speed.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:have to say he looked like a very good vfl player expected to play above his weight. Problem as some have mentioned is his age and length of time on rookie list. If you had the choice between ledger and him age wise you would have to go ledger. Also seems to have no weapons, average height, average speed.
Agree with all of this. I've never seen anything in Shenton that suggests he'll ever be an effective AFL player. Not an accumulator, no physical presence (despite his appearance), pace and skills just ok. Decent state level player but I'm not sure what he brings to the table at AFL level.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Shenton may still make it, but I'm still surprised that we didn't pick up Marley Williams, who was a steal at pick 35 on the rookie list (as he was expected to be picked up in the regular draft).

I remember Old Mate mentioning Marley and putting up a video of him before the AFL draft proper and I liked what I saw (a tough running player with a raking left foot kick).
Having slipped through - he should have been earmarked by our recruiters - why take chances on an obscure player?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:Shenton may still make it, but I'm still surprised that we didn't pick up Marley Williams, who was a steal at pick 35 on the rookie list (as he was expected to be picked up in the regular draft).

I remember Old Mate mentioning Marley and putting up a video of him before the AFL draft proper and I liked what I saw (a tough running player with a raking left foot kick).
Having slipped through - he should have been earmarked by our recruiters - why take chances?

But every club miss him though even the pies. We may have ear marked for a later pick. Who would know apart from the recruiters.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
samoht wrote:Shenton may still make it, but I'm still surprised that we didn't pick up Marley Williams, who was a steal at pick 35 on the rookie list (as he was expected to be picked up in the regular draft).

Having slipped through - he should have been earmarked by our recruiters - why take chances?

But every club miss him though even the pies. We may have ear marked for a later pick. Who would know apart from the recruiters.
It's their job to know. Maybe Old Mate should put his hand up. :wink:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

It's their job to know. Maybe Old Mate should put his hand up. :wink:

I think you will find Old Mate is in fact Tony Elshaug.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
I think you will find Old Mate is in fact Tony Elshaug.
You're getting mixed up with Phoney Elshaugh... (with a "h" at the end).

savatage
SS Life Member

Having slipped through - he should have been earmarked by our recruiters - why take chances on an obscure player?
Maybe coz they thought Marley Williams was a d**khead. He's already been arrested and is on assault charges.

Making him the perfect Collingwood player I guess.

savatage
SS Life Member

Then you have Darren Minchington, pick 65 in the rookie draft who will be better than both of the players mentioned here.

You win some and you lose some.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:Then you have Darren Minchington, pick 65 in the rookie draft who will be better than both of the players mentioned here.

You win some and you lose some.
Fair enough; I'm sure there must have been a reason that Marley was overlooked.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:Shenton was OK for a while today but looked like he'd completely run out of petrol tickets by the start of the third quarter.

I have a feeling he doesn't have the tank for AFL football, and considering he's almost 23, is it possible for him to somehow become an endurance athlete? If not, he didn't really show enough special today to give me confidence that he's worth hanging on to for next year.
fair suck of the sauce bottle......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:
skeptic wrote:
AP Erebus wrote:Jeez, the kids played 1 game and you are already calling time on his career?
well most ppl on here have already written Ledger off prior to his game today
in their defence. ledger has spent 3 years on the list and has played multiple games of AFL level football

six.....before yesterday...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Shenton has some weapons and is an accumulator he's been averaging around 25 possies off a back wing when playing at sandy. Strong over head mark and racking kicks. He has a bit of Farren Ray about him. Cool head under pressure takes the game on. I think he has the ability just wether he gets another go at it.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Shenton has some weapons and is an accumulator he's been averaging around 25 possies off a back wing when playing at sandy. Strong over head mark and racking kicks. He has a bit of Farren Ray about him. Cool head under pressure takes the game on. I think he has the ability just wether he gets another go at it.

Have you got your final delistings gringo because as much as you can see good in most players we need to lose some because we need better players.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:Shenton has some weapons and is an accumulator he's been averaging around 25 possies off a back wing when playing at sandy. Strong over head mark and racking kicks. He has a bit of Farren Ray about him. Cool head under pressure takes the game on. I think he has the ability just wether he gets another go at it.

Have you got your final delistings gringo because as much as you can see good in most players we need to lose some because we need better players.

Already done it earlier in the year at your insistence. Can't be stuffed again. Fergburger was gone, Staley maybe Lever, Blake, kos, Milney and I would have probably put Lenny off a year early and tried to get him at the club as a line coach to use his knowledge and experience. I have concerns his body is going to get less resilient and he's the closest to retirement of the seniors. Schnides was lucky he got some games or he would have been close to the cut I think.

Shenton and Ledger have been showing good form and deserved a go, i think we should see how he goes next weekend at least before chopping him. Lenny might have cost CJ his career at the Saints too. Dunell might be in the sights and Siposs might want some luck too. pelchen is a pretty dispassionate man if he's the list manager.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Already done it earlier in the year at your insistence. Can't be stuffed again. Fergburger was gone, Staley maybe Lever, Blake, kos, Milney and I would have probably put Lenny off a year early and tried to get him at the club as a line coach to use his knowledge and experience. I have concerns his body is going to get less resilient and he's the closest to retirement of the seniors. Schnides was lucky he got some games or he would have been close to the cut I think.

Shenton and Ledger have been showing good form and deserved a go, i think we should see how he goes next weekend at least before chopping him. Lenny might have cost CJ his career at the Saints too. Dunell might be in the sights and Siposs might want some luck too. pelchen is a pretty dispassionate man if he's the list manager.

I will do another thread after next weeks game then.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I will do another thread after next weeks game then.

I still would have liked to see more than 6 and a half quarters to decide. We delisted Will Johnson after about a half of footy. His size in the backline would be handy about now. I thought he was good at Sandy.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I still would have liked to see more than 6 and a half quarters to decide. We delisted Will Johnson after about a half of footy. His size in the backline would be handy about now. I thought he was good at Sandy.
He's 191 and 91 - exactly the same size as Simpkin. (Smaller head though.) Not sure he would have added that much, all things considered.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
gringo wrote:I still would have liked to see more than 6 and a half quarters to decide. We delisted Will Johnson after about a half of footy. His size in the backline would be handy about now. I thought he was good at Sandy.
He's 191 and 91 - exactly the same size as Simpkin. (Smaller head though.) Not sure he would have added that much, all things considered.

Oh well pays to look up the stats I guess, He played tall;) Still think he could play.

hAyES
Club Player

Worst thread ever.