Ross Lyon

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ross Lyon

kaos theory wrote:Yes a very good coach, but freo's list was full of talent and players coming into their best years. He should win a flag with a list like that. He couldn't with us, lost focus, and took the big $$ & went to a ready made team.

He was not interested in staying and rebuilding the saints, he aint a re-building coach.

It would have been stupid for us to try to pay massive dollars for a guy who lost interest in us. Can't understand people here bleating like idiots about RL, as if magically we would now be playing for a flag.

Get over it.
RL is a very good coach...but when you had almost the AFL's most incompetent recruiting team (Dees probably shaded them), there is only so much you can do. That poor recruiting of kids is personally one reason why I rate RL so highly. He found a way to mask the flaws, and despite all the hype, the list he took over had many flaws. Poor kicks, being but one that still bites us on the bum.

It is no wonder RL traded so much, not GT in his latter years who was also a big trader.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
tweedaletomanning wrote:
Teflon wrote:Hate him but can he coach

One thing his stint at Freo will tell us for sure:

St Kilda either made a great move by not securing him earlier OR we made one of histories biggest ever c**k ups

I hope it ain't the latter
If it is the latter, then there should be an official ceremony:

Pronouncing Michael Nettlefold - KING of the idiots!!!

Disagree.

Ross is easily the best coach of developed lists.

Thomas developed St.Kilda and Ross took over, Harvey developed Freo and Ross took over.

There is absolutely no evidence he can develop a list that he left ours in and that he will leave Freo's in.

Was terrific when we were after a flag, happy to see him go though, we need a coach that can develop youngsters.

Watters can do that. Give he a two year extension. After that time we would have had stability, and then know if he is the coach to take us forward.

In 2016 we will have a developed list, maybe Ross might come back :D :D
Absolutely spot on JB IMO.

RL is one of the best coaches never to win a flag which could be a different by the end of his career is over however his very uncompromising approach is really only suited to teams that have a developed list and are ready to take the next step and are ready to be treated like they are in the Army.

Treating a bunch of young gen Y kids that are conditioned to need love and hugs and constant praise would probably not suit RLs management style and would probably end in disaster....Neeld anyone?

Interestingly I reckon Clarko from Hawthorn doesn't get enough credit for being one of the best modern day coaches going around. Him and Malthouse are the only coaches currently in the system that can lay claim to taking a team from the bottom of the ladder to a premiership...maybe throw that bloke who coached Geelong against us in the 2009 GF, but a question mark will always now remain if he was doing things legally.

twirlyhair
Club Player

Clearly the latter....

St Kilda either made a great move by not securing him earlier OR we made one of histories biggest ever c**k ups

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

twirlyhair wrote:Clearly the latter....

Why clearly?

Any proof he could develop the kids on our list? Never been a list developer, but a bit like Blight, a user of lists once developed.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Doubt St Kilda would have won the flag this year with or without Ross Lyon, so who cares?

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

joffaboy wrote:
tweedaletomanning wrote:

If it is the latter, then there should be an official ceremony:

Pronouncing Michael Nettlefold - KING of the idiots!!!

Disagree.

Ross is easily the best coach of developed lists.

Thomas developed St.Kilda and Ross took over, Harvey developed Freo and Ross took over.

There is absolutely no evidence he can develop a list that he left ours in and that he will leave Freo's in.

Was terrific when we were after a flag, happy to see him go though, we need a coach that can develop youngsters.

Watters can do that. Give he a two year extension. After that time we would have had stability, and then know if he is the coach to take us forward.

In 2016 we will have a developed list, maybe Ross might come back :D :D
Agree with that.

Would be interesting to see if he can develop a list or not.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

If we still had Ross then we wouldn't be getting games into kids, we'd still be drafting and playing GOP's from other clubs.

He went list chasing because he'd ruined ours....

He can coach, he can't develop, did you see all of those underdeveloped young guys he had in his team against the Saints, he doesn't like giving games to young guys but maybe to satisfy someone at the Freo club he played them all at once... :lol: :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Calais
Club Player

Bakes just said on Facebook that Saints forced him out and chose not to renew his contract. Weird.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Freo will make this years Grannie and could win it

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

Middo wrote:Grand Final Wins =0
COP THAT :D

Before Im 85
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Freo have to win this year IMO, too physically taxing long term.

Best chance this year for them.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Freo are on the verge of greatness and we're burning dwarves. Pretty sure Ross can sleep at night.

Super coach, appreciate what he tried to achieve with us but unhappy about the way he left our list. Good luck Ross hope you can go all the way you deserve it.
Why doesn't everyone stop being bitter, stkilda supporters got a lot of pleasure out of this mans tenure at the club but we never talk of the good times enough.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

He's not a bad coach, but I don't u/s the buzz given he was gifted 2 premiership lists.

I would say Clarkson for example, has clearly demonstrated that he could be the best coach in the AFL. Built the team from the ground up and has kept it up nearly 6 years. Impressive.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Calais wrote:Bakes just said on Facebook that Saints forced him out and chose not to renew his contract. Weird.
Baker or Blake?

If you do mean Baker, yes it was well know that he wanted to keep playing( Most players do!!!). But his time was done, and it was time for Geary to take over.

I would be fairly sure tat Milne and Blake would have both wanted to play on if it was 100% their choice.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Freo have to win this year IMO, too physically taxing long term.

Best chance this year for them.
Freo had a shocking injury run this year.

Get that right next year, and I would then rate them a bigger chance then.

However with a home PF they are looking pretty to play in the GF this year.

Perversely the Hawks have to get over their nemesis in Geelong. So it could be a Freo Cats GF....and I think Ross would fancy his chances more against the Cats than the Hawks.

Calais
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
Calais wrote:Bakes just said on Facebook that Saints forced him out and chose not to renew his contract. Weird.
Baker or Blake?

If you do mean Baker, yes it was well know that he wanted to keep playing( Most players do!!!). But his time was done, and it was time for Geary to take over.

I would be fairly sure tat Milne and Blake would have both wanted to play on if it was 100% their choice.

Baker on ROSS being forced out

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

his comment was-' they let him go'
I still say he had a contract and was expected to sign a new one that day- he chose to go to aclub with ready cash... Woodside..

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

What is the greatest number of Lost grand finals by a coach without winning one?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:He's not a bad coach, but I don't u/s the buzz given he was gifted 2 premiership lists.

I would say Clarkson for example, has clearly demonstrated that he could be the best coach in the AFL. Built the team from the ground up and has kept it up nearly 6 years. Impressive.
2 premiership lists?
I think Geelong have had the 'premiership' lists for the last 8 years…
A lot of no-names playing for freo today, certainly not as strong as Geelong on paper.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
A lot of no-names playing for freo today, certainly not as strong as Geelong on paper.
Exactly. Ross can get a list to play better than other coaches could. That is his value.

That list was not playing in GF's before he arrived....and our first year in the GF we were the dominant team.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Re the OP - 100% correct

#1 Ryder fan
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Calais wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
Baker or Blake?

Baker on ROSS being forced out
I have always thought that it was Pelchen in, Ross out.

Both very capable....BUT two big egos, two firm minds.....

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:What is the greatest number of Lost grand finals by a coach without winning one?
It might be 4 after this year :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:
whiskers3614 wrote:What is the greatest number of Lost grand finals by a coach without winning one?
It might be 4 after this year :lol:
He's lost 2