Dal Santo to North Melbourne

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dal Santo to North Melbourne

PJ wrote:
maverick wrote:
PJ wrote:Dal for Bruce and we lose. Sorry but a top tier mid like Dal, who has a good 3 to 4 years, for a kid with potential as a defender. Naa
So how else do we get a KPD?
How would you get one, out of the draft is not good enough.
There are still other trade options without having to lose Dal. Bruce sounds like a reasonable prospect but not at that price - Pelchen has mentioned several options so I wouldn't stress it yet. Anyway the only way that we'd be getting Bruce for Dal is in a 3 way swap involving another club which none of us have any inside info on I'm pretty sure.
Not trying to pick a fight, genuinely interested, how would you structure a trade to GWS for Bruce or North for Delaney, knowing others need one too?

stkfc1
Club Player

sax wrote:How about Dal & our 3rd round pick for Luke Delaney, Levi Greenwood & Roos 2nd round pick?

That would give us a KPD & a tough midfielder, both under 25, plus another pick in the top 30!
I'd take that trade in a heartbeat. At the end of the day Dal wont be around or no where near his best by the time we have our next crack at it. Love the guy but its whats best for the club.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

stkfc1 wrote:
sax wrote:How about Dal & our 3rd round pick for Luke Delaney, Levi Greenwood & Roos 2nd round pick?

That would give us a KPD & a tough midfielder, both under 25, plus another pick in the top 30!
I'd take that trade in a heartbeat. At the end of the day Dal wont be around or no where near his best by the time we have our next crack at it. Love the guy but its whats best for the club.
So one player that cannot get a game in a club that finishes 10th but in a defense that is apparently settled?? I struggle to see how a good side defensively finishes 10th but ok...

Another player who has looked like a ball of muscle and thats it.

Plus a second round pick for NDS?

No chance in hell.

Two s***-for-brains for Dal. What a waste.

Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

I don't know if I want to go and punch some holes into some walls or just cry :(
For the people who know me, shattered, guttered and devastated don't even begin to express how I would feel if Dal was to leave!

For those saying do it, what ever happened the joy of being a one club player, like Harves, Burke, Buckets and Lenny! come on!
I know, I know, look at the future but I'm sorry when it comes to Dal, I would not be able to watch a single game with him in another jumper! just couldn't bring myself to do it!...

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
defacto
Club Player

PurpleHayes wrote:You heard it here first:
Dal to north for 1st round pick 9/10.
The reason north will do it is because they will then nominate for McDonald under father/son with their 2nd round pick.
North effectively give up pick 9 and second rounder, and still get McDonald and gain Dal Santo.
luke mcdonald will go in the first round. father and son nominations have to be done before trade week. they will not then be able to trade the pick they nominated. north will have to use their first pick on mcdonald which means they cannot on trade it to us.

their 2nd rounder will not be enough to get mcdonald or dal

longtimesaint
Club Player

I think it is crazy to even consider trading Dal Santo. With all the kids we have already plus new draftees coming, we need some experience to guide them.
He is also our best player at disposal, and can help set up play from the half-back line. Go after any free agents but keep Dal and let him retire as a one club player.

One year will be our year
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Dal is on TAC future stars right now and they have his cousin who is a Josh Kennedy from Sydney style tall mid. He is expected to go around pick 10. It would be ironic if Dal goes for his cousin.

Dal also said he likes a guy from the Cannons called Owen. Can't remember the first name though. Owen would be a good old school saints name.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

On TAC future stars Dal said he is a Saints man and isn't leaving.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:On TAC future stars Dal said he is a Saints man and isn't leaving.

to me he said it quite confidently

where as a couple of times in the past he has more said it is his Wish-- this came out as I'm not going anywhere.... ( I say with fingers crossed.)

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
kp83
Club Player

longtimesaint wrote:I think it is crazy to even consider trading Dal Santo. With all the kids we have already plus new draftees coming, we need some experience to guide them.
He is also our best player at disposal, and can help set up play from the half-back line. Go after any free agents but keep Dal and let him retire as a one club player.
I agree. Plus with Jack emerging as our best mid, it is likely that he will start to cop the #1 tag, allowing a bit more space for Dal to operate in the next few years.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Surely it depend on the offer?
e.g It would be crazy to not trade Dal if we were offered pick 9.
Hes worth about pick 25.

kp83
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:Surely it depend on the offer?
Hes worth about pick 25.
That's assuming whoever we pick up at pick 9 is any good - he may turn out to be just an ordinary player in which case the deal will have been terrible.
I guess it depends how confident our recruiting team is that they can get a gun at pick 9. Then perhaps they would do the deal but if not, why get rid of a potential 300 game player with 2 - 4 good years left?

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

North with Dal would finish top four so if we can get their first pick I say take it.
We all love Dal but the problem is we have one premiership and need to work on fixing that and dal won't be their for our next.
Let him have another shot at a flag and pick up a possible 200 gamer in return.

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Hes worth about pick 25.
clive waterhouse was pick 1

dont gamble away a loyal supremely talented champion like dal santo

keep dal santo a saint for the love of god

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

kp83 wrote:
Hes worth about pick 25.
That's assuming whoever we pick up at pick 9 is any good - he may turn out to be just an ordinary player in which case the deal will have been terrible.
I guess it depends how confident our recruiting team is that they can get a gun at pick 9. Then perhaps they would do the deal but if not, why get rid of a potential 300 game player with 2 - 4 good years left?

The way I see it the more picks you have in the top 20 the better.
Sure you cant guarantee any single pick - but if you have more high ones you WILL get more good players.

But for sure - depends on our faith in recruiters. Heck a few years ago I wouldnt have traded for draft picks because you could be 90% sure our recruiters would select duds - but after 2 years of Elshaugh picks - I am willing to back him in. He has done very well with sh*t picks so I think he has earnt the chance to be given some good picks. If we had s*** recruiters (like 2004-2010) then no way id trust them with trading for a high pick.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
kp83 wrote:
Hes worth about pick 25.

Sure you cant guarantee any single pick - but if you have more high ones you WILL get more good players
Unless you recruit like Melbourne, in which case, you won't get many good ones at all...

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
Sure you cant guarantee any single pick - but if you have more high ones you WILL get more good players
Unless you recruit like Melbourne, in which case, you won't get many good ones at all...
This is true :D :D
But we cant be afraid to do anything on account of 'ending up like Melbourne'.

In any case i have a horrible feeling Melbourne will get the last laugh (after being pumped full of cash and draft picks by the AFL) and be ok soon enough.

Simmo2
Club Player

So many romantics.... No wonder we never win anything.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

longtimesaint wrote:I think it is crazy to even consider trading Dal Santo. With all the kids we have already plus new draftees coming, we need some experience to guide them.
Sure, but isn't there a limit to that? At the start of next season we'll have eight guys on our list over 30. That's a lot of experience, more than most other clubs even though we're not winning games. What sort of guidance is that providing to the kids coming through?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SW has told everyone that if they want to leave they can. My sources suggest Dal is interested in leaving and is just about gone. The complete rebuild is on now.

kimberly saint
Club Player

Simmo2 wrote:So many romantics.... No wonder we never win anything.
Yep i think if del agrees and is not shoved out go for it. We still have lenny and joey in mid field and when they retire armo and jack will have that bit more experience. We have to move forward , think its time for few supporters to brace for it cause i feel phelchan and co may upset few people this trade time, i dont think BJ just turned his back on us it was bit club moving him on to for the future benfits

ljpoyz
Club Player

This x10000000000000. The equation is simple, is trading Dal Santo for pick whatever going to make us more likely to win our next premiership. If yes, trade. If no, don't. Service, not service, whatever. The clubs point of being is to win premierships, something it has been obviously beyond poor in.
Simmo2 wrote:So many romantics.... No wonder we never win anything.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:SW has told everyone that if they want to leave they can. My sources suggest Dal is interested in leaving and is just about gone. The complete rebuild is on now.

Makes sense. If he was staying they should have announced something by now.

I'd prefer if he stayed but it's not like he was setting the world on fire. I just hope we get quality for him.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
ljpoyz
Club Player

Surely that is everyone who is not Jack Steven or younger?
plugger66 wrote:SW has told everyone that if they want to leave they can. My sources suggest Dal is interested in leaving and is just about gone. The complete rebuild is on now.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Is he contracted, I understand the club had the right to activate his contract for next season. If so then we should be able to get a good draft pick for him. I would rather he stay unless that pick was in the to 12 or earlier. I don't want us to do what melbourne did and get rid of all there experienced and become a real basket case

I love this club