Watching Lyon's Dockers tonight

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Re: Watching Lyon's Dockers tonight

SainterK wrote:
Moods wrote:
Waltzing St Kilda wrote:Not sure you can play with that sort of intensity two weeks in a row. And certainly not for a whole game, unless you're on something. So I have a feeling they won't look so awesome next week.

Piss take?

We did it for about 12 weeks in a row in 09.
True, which is what's amazing about freo, they have sustained it much longer.

I guess resources can come into it.
How many weeks have they done it. I saw them in Round 23 and they looked very average.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

noddy wrote:

We started fast and faded as the year went on, and by the finals the team was spent. I think Ro$$ learned from his time at St Kilda and is doing things differently now.
We beat the Dockers when they rested lots of players. They were told to play bruise-free footy against us. Tanked. How else could we get so many disposals?
You are correct, Lyon learned not to burn them out.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

True.

I guess he's approaching it much differently at freo.

Live and learn stuff.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Go Ross and Freo

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
mullet
Saintsational Legend

Good luck to him. He isnt doing it to piss us off you know. He is doing his job. For god sake time to suck it up and move on.

noob
Club Player

As mullet said good luck to him. That game plan might need to be tweaked on when the cap reduces in the coming years.

Greg T
Club Player

mullet wrote:Good luck to him. He isnt doing it to piss us off you know. He is doing his job. For god sake time to suck it up and move on.
I agree,
Hat of to him, hope Freo smash the hawks......they s*** me as much as Geelong

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Munga wrote:Can you see us playing like that in five years? Applying relentless, frenzied pressure even more so than Freo is tonight? That's what it will take.
So would this mean rehiring RL as coach after his window has been slammed shut at Fremantle?

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Munga
Saintsational Legend

Yeah so back to my original post. Is Watters capable of getting the list playing better than the Dockers last night?

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
maverick
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Better than

Hayes, Goddard, Fisher, Da Santo, Montagna, Gardiner, Riewoldt, Milne.... There's 8 all Australians

In 09 we had about 5

Freo had 1 this season
No, we came up against a better team than they will next week.
Any other team of the last decade we would have beaten that day.

Spud
Club Player
Location: Near the You Yangs, or as my wife used to call it, the Dugongs.

The Fireman wrote:
asaint wrote:reminds me of us in 09.
Thought the same thing
Too true.

mohannair
Club Player

Piss take?

We did it for about 12 weeks in a row in 09.[/quote]

True, which is what's amazing about freo, they have sustained it much longer.

I guess resources can come into it.[/quote]

I actually disagree. The finals is the first time we have seen this type of defensive pressure turned up to this degree. We were doing it in H&A games that quite possibly wore us out as the season wore on. The Dockers have been far smarter - have put in place great defensive structures, but the frontal pressure has been turned full throttle for finals. It's shocked teams[/quote]

Freo did it against Cats at Simonds stadium a fortnight ago, so I am sure that they can repeat it.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Munga wrote:Yeah so back to my original post. Is Watters capable of getting the list playing better than the Dockers last night?

Impossible to say yet. Fairer to ask could Ross Lyon have us playing any better than Watters with the same list available.

I guess Lyon thought it was over too because he said so.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Munga wrote:Yeah so back to my original post. Is Watters capable of getting the list playing better than the Dockers last night?
WTF

Are you asking can we play with an intensity and determination and hunger as strong as theirs? Of course we can!!!

Can McEvoy morph into Saandilands and can Armo/Steven morph into Fyfe/Mundy, and can Simpkin/Stanley morph into McPharlin and Johnson??

No

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:
WTF

Are you asking can we play with an intensity and determination and hunger as strong as theirs? Of course we can!!!

Can McEvoy morph into Saandilands and can Armo/Steven morph into Fyfe/Mundy, and can Simpkin/Stanley morph into McPharlin and Johnson??

No

If it is so obvious that we and i guess you also mean other clubs can play the play freo play then why dont the better clubs do it then. it obviously isnt that easy to do or even want to do as other clubs maybe including ours in future may not want to play that way. RL sides play differently to most if not all other sides because he sacrifices some attack to play like they do. SW may not want to play that way. Hawthorn dont, Geelong dont, most sides dont. Not even Sydney play with that pack tackling and intensity.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Hawthorn do, Geelong do at times and Sydney certainly do but we'd take you seriously if you had said Richmond don't, Carlton don't and North Melbourne don't

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:Hawthorn do, Geelong do at times and Sydney certainly do but we'd take you seriously if you had said Richmond don't, Carlton don't and North Melbourne don't

Well I believe you would nearly be the only person who says they follow footy who thinks Geelong and Hawthorn play a similar pressure game to Freo. They play nothing like Freo and that has been the bid discussion this week as to whether the Hwks will be able to use the elite kicking with the Freo pressure or will Freo be able to have the elite pressure given hawthorns great use of the ball. The only side you mentioned that gets even close is Sydney.

And who is we? Are you answering for everyone because I reckon a few would be embarrassed with the clubs you named.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I am over having debates with you. You are a nuff nuff of the highest order.

'We' is anyone with half a brain that can think for themselves and doesn't need the buzz from the hun or stevo or Darcehole or BT or Rohan Connelly or Finey to tell them how to think.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:I am over having debates with you. You are a nuff nuff of the highest order.

'We' is anyone with half a brain that can think for themselves and doesn't need the buzz from the hun or stevo or Darcehole or BT or Rohan Connelly or Finey to tell them how to think.

Well we can see who struggles to have a sensible discussion and by the way i watched Freo with mates and saw how they attacked the ball and the man and took no notice of anyone you mentioned. To say the hawks and cats attack the opposition similar to freo is plain wrong and that is simply by watching the game. You may think for yourself but I suggest you get some help in future.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:I am over having debates with you. You are a nuff nuff of the highest order.

I have to defend P66 here, he gets his mail from his third cousin and his Dads mate who shares a friend in common with my Nanna.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I suggest you stop worshiping a snake-oil salesmen who is no longer at our club.

We gave him his start as a 'career coach'. He owes the Saints a great debt not the other way around.

I'd like to see RL coach us right now and see how well we'd go? Remind me where'd we finish again in his last year?

The Freo list is better than most and has a class midfield and a durable deep midfield and has class bookends to boot. You and your mates can tug together over RL graetness, but if he wins a GF how does that help the Saints Mr nuff nuff??

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:I suggest you stop worshiping a snake-oil salesmen who is no longer at our club.

We gave him his start as a 'career coach'. He owes the Saints a great debt not the other way around.

I'd like to see RL coach us right now and see how well we'd go? Remind me where'd we finish again in his last year?

The Freo list is better than most and has a class midfield and a durable deep midfield and has class bookends to boot. You and your mates can tug together over RL graetness, but if he wins a GF how does that help the Saints Mr nuff nuff??

How easy are you? fairly i would say. Anyway back to the topic. I actually didnt give a stuff when he left and made a point of it here because I think both the club and RL had run their race together so i dont hero worship at all. What i do though is realise that he makes sides better than most other coaches in the AFL would. Maybe if you opened both eyes you would see that as well but no you cant do that because he left our club. How dare he do that to us so i will just knock him at every chance even if it makes no sense. And who said freo winning would help us? Certainly not me but i want them to win just as you may want the hawks to win. Its all very stange but consistant.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

'consistent'

Can Rossy overcome the little voice in his head that tells him he has made mistakes in the past. Can he get his team over the line in the biggest game of the year if they are 20 points down at 3/4 time? I'm not so sure.

Anyhow we'll see what happens. I suppose if they win it he'll be a hero. No doubt he'll be lauded and worshipped even more by the 'in ross we trust' believers. Good for him

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:'consistent'

Can Rossy overcome the little voice in his head that tells him he has made mistakes in the past. Can he get his team over the line in the biggest game of the year if they are 20 points down at 3/4 time? I'm not so sure.

Anyhow we'll see what happens. I suppose if they win it he'll be a hero. No doubt he'll be lauded and worshipped even more by the 'in ross we trust' believers. Good for him

And if we lose the 'nuff nuffs' (as you put it) who don't realise what a very good coach he is because they're too blinded by rage at how he left us, will feel bizarrely vindicated. If the saints could find a coach who can consistently get them to GF's I would snap him up in a heart beat. Eventually you win one. But all too many ppl cling on to the fact that we lost both games by a kick therefore RL is only a good coach, not a great coach. If you truly believe that Freo have an excellent list, then many would disagree with you. He has numerous players that were about to be shown the door (walters, Johnson) who have transformed into a superb footballers under him. Daniel Pearce was inconsistent at Port and was at the cross roads. Almost every one of their players has improved under Lyon.

And if he does win it, you're right he will be lauded and worshipped - as he should be. As Alan Jeans was at our club when he coached our first (and only) flag. I, for one, will not change my opinion of RL win or lose - I always told my mates that he is by far the best coach I have seen at the saints since I have been following football. However, I also believe that the time was right for him to leave. The question mark for me about his coaching, is can he re-invent himself to sustain his longevity at the club he is at. 5 years at the saints was enough. Can he keep re-inventing himself and squeeze out a 10 year career at the Dockers etc?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

'who don't realise what a very good coach he is'

Funny isn't?! Who ever said he wasn't? What pisses me off is that he is lauded and worshipped and he made mistakes which I believe ultimately cost us. He's not the only one sure...the players he selected and the players he trusted to get the job done also made mistakes, but I was uncomfortable how he deflected and lay the blame at the feet of others. I reckon he was NOT ACCOUNTABLE at the time. He tried hard but he didn't get the job done for our club - it's that simple

If someone analyses or criticises the Lyon years or questions his achievements at the Saints people point to his current success. Who cares man?! It's not about being vindicated. It's about ACCOUNTABILITY