2014 - a make or break year for many

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintSimmo
Club Player

2014 - a make or break year for many

Arryn Siposs
Had the responsibility of filling Goddard's role thrust upon him leading up to 2013, a role he was probably not quite ready for, as we found out during the season. Arryn turns 21 in November and I would think he'd really want to cement himself in the senior team in 2014. He spent most of 2013 in the VFL or out injured, playing just 9 senior games. I'm not convinced the half back role is the right one for Sippa, he doesn't seem to have that acceleration off the mark that the best players in that position have. I'd love too see him being given a chance to play as a high forward, much like Gunston from Hawthorn. Who, if needed, we could put deep in the forward line if we are in need of a goal or two. I think Sippa will surprise a few in 2014 (in a good way)

Rhys Stanley
I think 2013 would have done some damage to Rhys' confidence, was thrown into a fullback role which was a complete failure. Given an occasional chance in the forward line when he was fit, showed glimpses but I feel he played his best when thrown into the ruck. Considering Rhys is 200cm+ I feel that he needs to add some more size and model himself on someone like Kurt Tippet (202cm, 104kg). Rhys is 200cm and just 96kg. If he adds some bulk we will see some serious improvement in him as a forward, and it will help him hold his ground in the ruck, which could also solve our second ruck dilemma as I don't think we can go forward playing 2 permanent rucks (McEvoy and Hickey) in the 1 side. Will turn 23 in December and that is normally around the age it starts coming together for many of the big fellas, hopefully that is the case for Rhys!

Daniel Markworth
Highly rated internally, named emergency 3 times in 2012 in his first year of footy, which is normally a good sign. It seemed as if he'd get his chance in 2013 only to be brought down by a season ending knee injury in boulder during pre-season. I'll admit I haven't seen much of him, but from the sounds of things he is the sort of medium forward who could well develop into a midfielder, much like Fyfe. I've got high hopes for this kid, his main aim would be to string some good games together for sandy early in 2014 and stay injury free and then push for a senior call up.

Brodie Murdoch
I'm not convinced he will make it as a medium lead up forward. But with his size and willingness to go in hard, I reckon we should throw him into the midfield at the Zebs. Hopefully with a full pre season he could build his strength and would like to see him developed as an in and under midfielder rather then a lead up forward.

Sam Dunell
A solid VFL player, he played some great games for the zebs off half back but I just don't think he's AFL quality. Hopefully he proves me wrong but at this stage he is just there for depth. A solid player but not a match winner or someone that is going to help us in our next push for a flag.

Trent Dennis-Lane
Many consider TDL to be lucky to still be on the list, myself included. TDL's main problem is his inability to play different roles. He is a genuine small crumbing forward, a position which I feel is dying in the modern game. I can't see how he could possible develop himself to spend more time in the midfield, and he's not the sort of small forward who can take a contested grab. Will probably spend most of 2014 at Sandy and will probably kick many goals for them, but I don't believe he's AFL standard. Depth player for 2014.

Tom Simpkin
Like the way this bloke goes about it, tries his heart out and puts his body on the line. Unfortunately at this stage he's towards the bottom of the pecking order for the surplus of medium size defenders we have on our list. If we are to add another couple of defenders to our list that could make it even harder for him to get a gig in our best 22. Fortunately he's only going to be 23 next season. He may not cement himself as part of our best 22 in 2014 but is a great depth player if one of our defenders goes down. I'm confident he will be a long term player for us.

Darren Minchington/Terry Milera
I put these two ahead of TDL as they can both push up the ground and play midfield. Both played some considerable midfield time for the Zebs. The one thing holding Milera back from being a great player is his speed, which surprisingly is not as good as some think. Also Milera's decision making at times can be very poor. Minch showed in his 2 senior games that he could be a player for the future. Both will be given a shot at taking Milney's spot in the side and I think they will both have solid seasons.

Sainter for life.
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Re: 2014 - a make or break year for many

Great little write up. Stanley really needs to find himself next year. Its always hard to see which players will step up. That's the art of list management. You invest time and resources into players but the reality is people need to get cut as there is always another batch of youngsters coming in. As they say - its an opinion business this game.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

good read... :D

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Yes, it is a good read :)

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Terrific write up and I agree with it all.
Really last chance for all those guys you mentioned .
They can't stay in indefinitely although Siposs and Stanley are contracted through 2015. Both fairly lucky imho.
As you mention we also have a surplus of medium sized defenders which can't go on forever so I think Fisher, Gwilt and Dempster may be on their last year. Dempster has been a terrific recruit and now stalwart for us and Gwilt hasn't been the same since he did his knee. Fisher is 31 and has been injured.
Really Id say 2/3 of those guys will be gone by 2015. Maybe even all three.

Kickit
Club Player

When Simpkin did come in I thought he was terrific, basically manning up on his own guy, but also trying his utmost to support Stanley. ( The Port game I think ).
I think as he gets older, he'll be less disadvantaged against the bigger guys and hold his own.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Observation

All of these guys you've mentioned, the key problem is that the coach hasn't identified a clear role for them and as such they haven't developed in the one position.

They'tr being thrown around to be developed into different roles when they haven't mastered one yet.

Siposs = HBF/ FP/rotating midfielder
Should play as a medium sized forward for mine

Stanley = FB/ruck/key forward
Should play as a ruck that rests forward. Needs to add bulk

Dunnell = HBF/HFF
IMO does better as a forward then a ruck

TDL = FP/midfielder
Clearly can only play as a FP atm (if that)

Milera/Minch
both need to settle into a position

Simpkin = FB/BP/HBF/CHB
Realistically he is a medium sized backman more suited to playing on marking style forwards rather than runners

IMO the coach needs to decide what he wants to do with most of these guys and go with it, and give them the best shot at developing into their respective positions rather than frequently moving them around

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Very well written.
IMHO, our guys skill levels are poor, unable to kick or handball precisely the way the Hawks do.
Getting towelled up at the bounce, like against Norf & the Tigers, means we are always reacting and not creating.
Must be hard for the guys to settle in one spot and take ownership, when they are constantly on the back foot.
The more I think about it, the more worried I become.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

skeptic wrote:Observation

All of these guys you've mentioned, the key problem is that the coach hasn't identified a clear role for them and as such they haven't developed in the one position.

They'tr being thrown around to be developed into different roles when they haven't mastered one yet.

Siposs = HBF/ FP/rotating midfielder

Stanley = FB/ruck/key forward

Dunnell = HBF/HFF
IMO does better as a forward then a ruck

TDL = FP/midfielder

Milera/Minch

Simpkin = FB/BP/HBF/CHB
Realistically he is a medium sized backman more suited to playing on marking style forwards rather than runners

IMO the coach needs to decide what he wants to do with most of these guys and go with it, and give them the best shot at developing into their respective positions rather than frequently moving them around
But is it chicken or the egg? Could some of these guys be getting shuffled around because they're struggling in their primary gig? in which case common sense would dictate they be tried in other spots. But agree with the basic premise though...

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
spert
Saintsational Legend

Good summary, but I reckon Stanley is only a forward and is hopeless in a defensive role. Siposs doesn't show me anything and he would need a 200% step up to establish a place in the senior team. Dunnell should be developed into a HFF role- good overhead for his size. TDL and Milera need to get stronger in the upper body over summer.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Very good write up but I wouldnt even have 2 of them on our list in 2014. TDL will probably stay due to a contract but he should be out of here and Dunnel is also very lucky IMO. Excellent seconds player but no real spot at all in AFL footy.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:Must be hard for the guys to settle in one spot and take ownership, when they are constantly on the back foot.
The more I think about it, the more worried I become.
No reason to be too worried yet. Most of our guys are either old or young, very few in the middle. The old guys are generally starting to drop off, the young guys haven't yet hit their straps. It'll take another two full years before we know how good our current crop of kids will be. If at that point no-one's showing much, then we've got a real problem. But right now we just need to get accustomed to losing games and developing players.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

TDL is a hack and must be fired. He's rubbish

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Grrrrr
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Very good write up but I wouldnt even have 2 of them on our list in 2014. TDL will probably stay due to a contract but he should be out of here and Dunnel is also very lucky IMO. Excellent seconds player but no real spot at all in AFL footy.
In all fairness, Dunnell has not had a good chance at applying his wares. I think he has the attributes of becoming a good AFL standard player but needs a real chance of proving himself.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Really last chance for all those guys you mentioned .
Murdoch?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Really last chance for all those guys you mentioned .
Murdoch?
Markworth?

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Would throw Maister into the list also... good summary overall...

Have high hopes for Sip and Simpkin next year, think they'll both be top dozen or so by this time next season...

Murdoch, Minch and Markworth have time on their side...

Stanley is staring down the barrel..

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I think maister was brought in as a transition player but he has had some good games
Hopefully he gets an injury free run.
Markworth is 21 and yet to debut so if he's going to be any good he needs to start playing this year.

PJ
SS Life Member

I think Sam Dunnell and TDL are probably on the shakiest ground and may even face the chop this year if recruiting scene this year presents some good opportunities for the club.

Sam has good skills, a good footy brain but lacks physical presence or an aggressive mind-set. He probably offers us the least of the players still listed - not saying he is the worst player but we have plenty in his category. TDL has shown only glimpses and similar to Sam doesn't have enough grunt.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Observation

I am not sure whether it is that Watters is:
a/ a bad judge of where a player is best
b/ that the club believe that trying players in different roles will improve them
c/ that injuries etc just meant that some like Stanley had to be sacrificed this year
d/ all of the above!!!
skeptic wrote: Siposs = HBF/ FP/rotating midfielder
Agree. Siposs always looks better in the forward half. He certainly needs to win more ball. But is a handy mark, an accurate kick..and can crumb too. A few more kilos of muscle will assist.

skeptic wrote: Stanley = FB/ruck/key forward
Agree. I think the club erred by continually playing him back after it became obvious that at present at he does not ave the tools for being a key defender.
While fast, it is more on the run, rather than the first 10. Once on the run he will be hard to catch, but a quick forward who bursts away he will not catch quick enough.

He is athletic, but not super nimble.
Up forward he can choose when to run, and with those extra seconds to reach full sped he is then hard to real in. He can be quite lethal running forward to kicks over the top.

In the ruck he has a very good leap.

His biggest positive, and surprise, for 2013 was his accurate and booming kicking. In many games his kicking was stunningly good...dare I say Goddard like.

But do Ben, Hickey and Stanley fit in the one team? Of the three Stanley has the most upside to play as a key forward.

Ben in 2014 really needs to start to show a lot more with his ruckwork, which is poor. Ben's lack of leap in a ruck contest is a major worry.

skeptic wrote: Dunnell = HBF/HFF
I think Dunnell's major problem is at 189cm that the Saints ave a lot of players around his height....including Markworth. I think even Gwilt will come under pressure if we gain two tall backs in Bruce and Delaney.

With Dempster and Roberton now locks, if Fisher stays that means no room down back. And then there is Simpkin too.

2014 is going to be very, very competive and had to win a spot if you are in the 188-191cm range. Other young 188ers include Webster.

Unless he can improve he will find it hard to geta game in 2014.
skeptic wrote: TDL = FP/midfielder
If you are as one dimensional as TDL you have to be exceptional, and while TDL shows glimpses he is not exceptional. He just does not get involved in the play often enough.
I would rather play guys like Curren that can also play midfield.
skeptic wrote: Milera/Minch
Milera has class, and is worth another year. If he can settle a bit more he can be a damaging line breaker as well as small forward.
skeptic wrote: Simpkin = FB/BP/HBF/CHB
How many game he plays in 2014 may depend if we can recruit 1 or 2 tall defenders...and if we lose Fish.
He does not at present have much of an offensive side.

skeptic wrote: IMO the coach needs to decide what he wants to do with most of these guys and go with it, and give them the best shot at developing into their respective positions rather than frequently moving them around
Yes time to settle some guys into spots where they might be best.

And can we please not play too many pure small forwards at once. We may have been looking for Milne's replacement in 2013..but time to not play more than 1. 2 at most.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
karnaby
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
skeptic wrote: Stanley = FB/ruck/key forward
Agree. I think the club erred by continually playing him back after it became obvious that at present at he does not ave the tools for being a key defender.
While fast, it is more on the run, rather than the first 10. Once on the run he will be hard to catch, but a quick forward who bursts away he will not catch quick enough.

He is athletic, but not super nimble.
Up forward he can choose when to run, and with those extra seconds to reach full sped he is then hard to real in. He can be quite lethal running forward to kicks over the top.

In the ruck he has a very good leap.

His biggest positive, and surprise, for 2013 was his accurate and booming kicking. In many games his kicking was stunningly good...dare I say Goddard like.

But do Ben, Hickey and Stanley fit in the one team? Of the three Stanley has the most upside to play as a key forward.

Ben in 2014 really needs to start to show a lot more with his ruckwork, which is poor. Ben's lack of leap in a ruck contest is a major worry.
It was nice to be reminded about some of Stanley's kicking, stunning isn't overstating some of his kicks from defence which cleared the opposition press and set up a fast rebound all in one.

Noting the point above about the difficulty in fitting McEvoy, Hickey & Stanley all in the one team and also noting that Roo isn't moving anywhere and that Lee really did show a lot of promise then it really does raise a question about the validity of keeping all three on the list. If all are kept then we might see Stanley playing back again just for team balance. I know that the general consensus in this place was that he was/is/will always be poor as a defender but that might be his lot, at least some of the time for 2014.

It's a shame ignorance isn't painful
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Siposs has average acceleration yes, which is an important aspect for a lead up HF.... As is a tank, which is also questionable....

He will find winning the footy at HF tougher than any other position.... Are his defensive skills good enough... Chris Mayne?

This can Hickey, Stanley and Ben play together?

Murdoch has not got the ground level skills or agility to be a midfielder.... Which is why he hasen't even played there as a junior...

From the assessment

We will have a load of half forwards?