What Is Dal Worth

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

howlinwolf
Club Player

Re: What Is Dal Worth

The compensation isn't just based on the player's value. The club they come from and how much they need the player is considered.
I.E Hawthorn just won a flag and Buddy going doesn't impact them as much as if we lost him.
That was what Gillom Mac said on 3aw tonight.
So we could in fact get a higher compensation for Dal than Hawthorn get for Buddy.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Pretty sure Thomas, Betts & Silvia will also push norths 2nd round pick out further.

Well Betts will not as the Blues taking Thomas asa FA caancels him out and the Blues will not receive a pick, as they got Thomas (a comparable player)

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i actually agree with that pluggs .... compo picks tend to disadvantage everyone else ... maybe what the AFL need to do is with the compo picks is hold a second draft where clubs losing a player by free agency can pre list a 17 year old .. the bigger the player that the team lose the earlier choice that club gets ... eg this year hawthorn would get first choice at a 17 year old kid then Collingwood get a choice so on so on

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
plugger66 wrote: There actually should be no compo picks at all if you lose a player to FA in my opinion. You get an extra spot and SC relief and then you chase a FA.

NOT the dumbest statement I have read on here !!
Agree. Would save this Argie Bargie about what a certain players compo value is for starters.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

howlinwolf wrote:The compensation isn't just based on the player's value. The club they come from and how much they need the player is considered.
I.E Hawthorn just won a flag and Buddy going doesn't impact them as much as if we lost him.
So we could in fact get a higher compensation for Dal than Hawthorn get for Buddy.
Ok cool for us.

Sounds like chooklotto MRP all over again with all this formulation.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Rosco
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:
howlinwolf wrote:The compensation isn't just based on the player's value. The club they come from and how much they need the player is considered.
Ok cool for us.

Sounds like chooklotto MRP all over again with all this formulation.
agreed on the chooklotto, sounds like they are conditioning the public for such a scenario, which is good for us. but they probably just made it up last week.

also agree with plugs, there should be no compo picks and I'd expect them to be gone in a couple of years

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I'm not sure how much sympathy we'll get if we void a valid contract on an attempt to gain compensation better than a trade... If we really needed a play we wouldn't be wilfully cancelling his contract.

Pick 4 would be lively but I can't see it happening.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Chances of pick 4 = zero.
Also i think the 2014 contract has been activated. Not sure we can go back on that. I really dont think we can call Dal an uncontracted free agent.
Have the club said they can or is it just speculation. I think one its activated its activated.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
PJ wrote:It would seem he's worth more than North are offering - not that anyone knows what that is (apart from them).

Don't they actually have to make an offer?

It will end up being their second round plus Delaney for Dal. Their second round will be about pick 29. Thats what I think will end up happening. Doesnt mean will should take it.
Delaney and 29 is on the borderline of what i would consider acceptable.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
linz
Club Player

Like it or not everyone is tradeable at the club for the right price.
It's all a matter of weights and measures. It's a bit sad but it was sad swapping Stewart for Barrott
and it was sad losing Big Carl to Melbourne and it was sad seeing Plugger go to Sydney which ironically allowed us to
draft Dal Santo (pick 13?) as compensation.

And I'd be very surprised if we don't get a 15 - 20 comp pick for Dal because he's probably got another 3 good years in him as an A-Grader.
If we don't forget it.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
FQF
SS Life Member

linz wrote:Like it or not everyone is tradeable at the club for the right price.
It's all a matter of weights and measures. It's a bit sad but it was sad swapping Stewart for Barrott
and it was sad losing Big Carl to Melbourne and it was sad seeing Plugger go to Sydney which ironically allowed us to
I think you'll find that Plugger went to Sydney quite a bit before Dal Santo was drafted.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

ladder position is the difference..........

why we got a higher pick for goddard

I heard the interview as well think your version not quite right...................nothing to do with how much you need a player etc

saint4life
linz
Club Player

FQF wrote:
linz wrote:Like it or not everyone is tradeable at the club for the right price.
I think you'll find that Plugger went to Sydney quite a bit before Dal Santo was drafted.
:oops: Sorry, was it Big Bad Bustling Barry Hall then for Dal as comp pick 13. No comparison really. Plugger was a Legend.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
chook23
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
PJ wrote:It would seem he's worth more than North are offering - not that anyone knows what that is (apart from them).

Don't they actually have to make an offer?

It will end up being their second round plus Delaney for Dal. Their second round will be about pick 29. Thats what I think will end up happening. Doesnt mean will should take it.
agree

saint4life
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Herald Sun tonight reporting Roos tabled pick 26 plus Delaney for Dal. As in North, not Paul. Let the head banging begin ...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/n ... 6735016274

Always loyal
chook23
Saintsational Legend

SemperFidelis wrote:Herald Sun tonight reporting Roos tabled pick 26 plus Delaney for Dal. As in North, not Paul. Let the head banging begin ...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/n ... 6735016274
26 will end up about 29-30

saint4life
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

If we won the flag this year and the Dorks finished last, would anyone be upset with Dorks getting pick 2 compo for Buddy and us getting pick 20 compo for Dal. Don't think so. Pick 4 should be realistic then for Dal. Why is no one questioning an injured Thomas getting a first round compo for the filth? If we finished bottom last year we would have got pick 1 and 2 with Goddard leaving via fa. If North pay him enough we should get pick 4.

I would offer them Dal at free agency and receive a compo pick 15-20?

If they were willing to trade Delaney for 60+

Or they lose heir pick 26-29? Or they don't get Dal

Both parties win that way....

chook23
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I would offer them Dal at free agency and receive a compo pick 15-20?

If they were willing to trade Delaney for 60+

Or they lose heir pick 26-29? Or they don't get Dal

Both parties win that way....
Unlikely to get 15-20 compo pick

being reported 22 or about 25 with reshuffle

saint4life
lefty
Club Player

Roos tabled pick 26 plus Delaney for Dal is not even worth thinking about.

Adding "Delaney" to pick 26 is rubbish, as Delaney isn't contracted and can simply be attained through the PSD and stating "I wont play for anyone bar St.Kilda" just like Luke Ball did getting to Collingwood.

If crappy Thomas can get a comp pick of #12 and Dal can't get around that, then forget it.

Dal is far more handy to us, than getting a crappy pick.