Agree or disagree on McEvoy trade

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Agree or disagree on McEvoy trade

SaintPav wrote:Ben is a professional and a quality person. He is a leader as well as being captaincy material. Maybe this is what Carl meant. :D
correct

maverick
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
matrix wrote:all clubs pass on a gun
hindsight is fantastic...when its hindsight
l
thanks for the put down.. :roll: :roll: :roll:

wasn't hindsight at all.....plenty on here were pumping for rioli before the draft.....and were watching on line or listening and commenting on here re the draft............and who were extremely disappointed at the time....including me....said it would cost us big time....and it has.......i could not believe we could be that stupid at the time.......

...time has proven me correct..... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
How's it cost us?
Would Rioli have rucked in the 2010 GF replay?

Dangerfield on the other hand.....

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

These moves are one"s that we as supporters will have to get used toon the new age ,loved the "Big Boy" and wish him well but overall not a bad trade!

PADDLEPOP1000
gringo
Saintsational Legend

LTN16 wrote:Cannot say it's a good or a bad trade. Wait a couple of years and we will know.

We might get a gun with pick 17 and savage could goto another level.

Time will tell.. But IMO big slow lumbering ruck men like Macca are a thing of the past.

Agree, we could get Hartung, Acres, Bontempelli, Gardiner, Dumont or Dunstan with that pick 17 so nothing to be unhappy with there and then there is the possibility of a slider.
Please let it be Freeman. I love that guys style.

We get a top three pick too. I'm more excited by the guys around 10 to 20 than the expected top 4 as it feels like there could be a bolter from outside the obvious ones this year.

slider
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
slider wrote:I didnt agree until i heard the ball was put in Macs court and he liked the idea of a crack at a flag with the Dawks.
Source?

Dont have to give up my source for anything but its now being reported in print "The Saints maintain McEvoy wasn't pushed, saying the ruckman was open to the idea of going to a team currently in the premiership window."

gringo
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
SaintPav wrote:Ben is a professional and a quality person. He is a leader as well as being captaincy material. Maybe this is what Carl meant. :D
correct

I never bought the captain material stuff. He seemed quiet and lacking passion. The lines like that are usually a club buying time when the picks before him go much better. remember we got Tommy Walsh who was as good as a top 5 draft pick?

Apparently Brisbane were meant to take Big Mac and Lauchie Henderson was our first pick. When that stuffed up we panicked and grabbed the guy who was meant to go first.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

slider wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
slider wrote:I didnt agree until i heard the ball was put in Macs court and he liked the idea of a crack at a flag with the Dawks.
Source?

Dont have to give up my source for anything but its now being reported in print "The Saints maintain McEvoy wasn't pushed, saying the ruckman was open to the idea of going to a team currently in the premiership window."
Didn't mean to offend. A reasonable question to ask for a source, I would have thought.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

maverick wrote:Dangerfield on the other hand.....
Dangerfield was a shock at 10. Everyone was expecting Adelaide to name Brad Ebert. I don't think I saw Dangerfield's name here once. A lot of the phantom drafts at the time linked him with Geelong. Thankfully that didn't happen.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
St.DMC

Agree.
Hickey is a much better tap ruckman than McEvoy & has so much more upside.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
maverick wrote:Dangerfield on the other hand.....
Dangerfield was a shock at 10. Everyone was expecting Adelaide to name Brad Ebert. I don't think I saw Dangerfield's name here once. A lot of the phantom drafts at the time linked him with Geelong. Thankfully that didn't happen.
Not from what I remember, Crows were always keen most phantoms had him early teens...was always rated very highly, the fact he stayed at home to finish school put a few off....

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Disagree....I can understand why we did it, and it's a fairish deal I suppose.... but Ruckman mature around now...he will rip it up for the next 5 years.

Good leader and very good footballer, and while his tap work isn't that good, it's an area that can be improved on....hope Savage has alot of upside.

Nee!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
stinger wrote:
matrix wrote:all clubs pass on a gun
hindsight is fantastic...when its hindsight
l
thanks for the put down.. :roll: :roll: :roll:

wasn't hindsight at all.....plenty on here were pumping for rioli before the draft.....and were watching on line or listening and commenting on here re the draft............and who were extremely disappointed at the time....including me....said it would cost us big time....and it has.......i could not believe we could be that stupid at the time.......

...time has proven me correct..... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
How's it cost us?
Would Rioli have rucked in the 2010 GF replay?

Dangerfield on the other hand.....
no...if he had played in the first one...there would have been no replay...and we would possibly have another two flags by now....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
slider
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
slider wrote:

Didn't mean to offend. A reasonable question to ask for a source, I would have thought.
No offence taken and i wasnt meaning to come across as a smart arse, just trying to relay the snippets of what i find out in bits and pieces, some is on the money, some is very close, and some is a big miss, but was deemed correct at the time of publication :roll: , but its usually pretty reliable. And no i dont hang around the club, but i do know a boot studder from Woori Yallock :wink:

If i hear some rumblings it i'll post it, but never any guarantees that its going to come off.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

good article in the age. fair and reasonable by all accounts. the hawks have plugged a hole well. our net gain/loss is all determined on how we use pick 17.

thats all it comes down to folks.

#1 Ryder fan
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

He'll be good for the Hawks. I'm a little sad to see him go, but I guess we're rebuilding etc etc and the trade seems ok.

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

It'll be interesting if our new International Rookie makes it...

Maybe Brian Taylor will name him Saints BIGBOY or Johnny BIGBOY

It'll be the Saints BIGBOY versus Bigboy MacEvoy!!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Yes it is a little sad. But,

the Saints want additional picks to rebuild and to ultimately be successful.

And we want those picks to be good picks.

And most supporters would want the Saints to get additonal good Draft picks.

And the guys whose departure would not cause us to feel sad would not bring in those additional good Draft picks.

So it had to be someone like, well, Big Mac.

Have to give something to get something.

Doesn't stop it being sad for some of us though.

Good luck Ben :)

And, of course, Shane :wink:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Disagree because i think he can play and also I think my suggestion that Ben will be our next captain is now in danger of not happening.
Savage would want to pick up on 13 possessions per game and they better not waste pick 17. We wont know for at least 2 to 3 years how this deal works for us. The Hawks because they are in premiership mode have a deal that works straight away.

savatage
SS Life Member

Agree strongly.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

With the new arrival of Savage, we can now refer to this era as "The Wonder Years".

To be honest, I'm not very happy to see McEvoy go. Thought he was potential leadership material.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Disagree because i think he can play and also I think my suggestion that Ben will be our next captain is now in danger of not happening.
Savage would want to pick up on 13 possessions per game and they better not waste pick 17. We wont know for at least 2 to 3 years how this deal works for us. The Hawks because they are in premiership mode have a deal that works straight away.

Yep, if Ben is a Hawk, he can't be captain of us too. Good pick up.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Disagree because i think he can play and also I think my suggestion that Ben will be our next captain is now in danger of not happening.

Yep, if Ben is a Hawk, he can't be captain of us too. Good pick up.

I still not discounting a trade back in 4 years time. I wont say I was wrrrrooo until Ben retires for at least 2 years.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

savatage wrote:Agree strongly.
Just an agree will do!
Maybe you like Savage because he's a subset of and is incorporated in your user name.
Last edited by samoht on Thu 10 Oct 2013 2:49pm, edited 1 time in total.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Not necessarily he could come back before Nick retires....

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Gday Folks! :D Like most of us I want us to be able to recruit gun kids and stars without us ever giving anything up for them... :wink: However, back to the REAL world, and whilst initially being shocked hearing that we'd traded the big boy, I'm excited that we have got Shane Savage AND a top twenty draft pick in return. Hold on to your hats folks, we are in for MAJOR rebuilding moves at the St Kilda Footy club, and we could all be VERY happy in the coning couple of seasons! I've always admired Ben as a player and a quality person and wish him all the very best at the Hawks (other than when he's playing against US of course) and a big Jigging welcome to Shane Savage!

GO SAINTS! (to hell with the rest!)

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)