Fisher for Bruce Trade

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Re: Fisher for Bruce Trade

Of course that's the case, but not a guarantee.....

However If we compared our picks 21 onwards in recent drafts we have fared much better than early picks? It's an interesting fact...
Siposs, Webster, Markworth, Stanley, Newnes, Steven, Gwilt, Fisher..... Our later picking has been relatively good...

Except for the recycled wastes like Pattison, Birss, McGough, Rix, Polo, Peake etc....

Middo
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Of course that's the case, but not a guarantee.....

However If we compared our picks 21 onwards in recent drafts we have fared much better than early picks? It's an interesting fact...
Siposs, Webster, Markworth, Stanley, Newnes, Steven, Gwilt, Fisher..... Our later picking has been relatively good...

Except for the recycled wastes like Pattison, Birss, McGough, Rix, Polo, Peake etc....

Who recruited Ben Cousins again ..??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I didn't realise top 20 draft picks were certainties to become AFL guns.... Or even players

Raph Clarke, Andrew McQualter, Fergus Watts, Tom Lynch?

As I said before:

History says at least one out of two top 10 draft picks you bring in will be duds. 10 to 20 it goes to about 3 out of 4 being duds. After that it's lotto. Sometimes you arse first round stars like Hawks who got Roughy, Buddy and Lewis in the first round in the same draft but you can also get Scully and Trengrove who both failed to become anything but GOPs. Use them and use them well master Pelican.

I can't remember the stats but the likelihood of playing 100 games when taken after pick 40 is ridiculously unlikely.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

That post has the interesting property of being both accurate and completely useless.

Unless you're saying we should trade all our first round picks for later picks?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Neither.... It's just an interesting point

People are beside themselves for getting late teen picks, the real fact is that whilst they SHOULD be more blue chip from 11-20... History suggests picks outside the top dozen are no more a guarantee than pick 21 onwards it seems?

Kickit
Club Player

True statistically there will only be a few first round dropouts. Unfortunately History suggests the dropout will inevitably drafted by StKilda.

I'm not sure if Bevo is still at the club, but I'm pretty sure that those running the show are not the ones responsible for stuffing up all the good drafts, so I'm not overly concerned about history repeating itself.
( Don't forget all of our ripper rookies, Geary, Curran ,Simpkin , Dunell.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

[quote="Kickit"]
True statistically there will only be a few first round dropouts. Unfortunately History suggests the dropout will inevitably drafted by StKilda. [quote]

Umm not more than any other club except Melbourne

How about a dud draft from the new premiers?

2005 draft of Hawthorns

3 Xavier Ellis (injury prone maybe delisted this year)
6 Beau Dowler (dud)
14 Grant Birchall (gop)
18 Max Bailey (injury prone never did much anyway)
22 Beau Muston (dud)
38 Travis Tuck (druggo dud)

One decent player and one decent injury plagued pplayer from all thse top draft picks

Every team has bad drafts, st Kilda had a bad period under rossy but we had some good drafts as wel at other times

Melbourne seems to be the only consistently crap drafterl

groupie1
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Hallalj#3 wrote:No not at all everyone has an opinion. I just think you've been wrong lately and I'm only calling you on it, because I don't rate your opinions and obviously the club think Hickey can take that mantle and I agree with them.. Time to let go of the past and look forward we have a plan and it's starting to take shape.
How have I been wrong lately? How can opinion even be wrong? And I am really upset you dont rate my opinions. I wont be able to sleep tonight. And I have no idea what time to let go of the past even means in the context you said it. it makes no sense. And I reckon captain obvious would know the club thinks Hickey can take the mantle.

f*** sake, give it up.... stop arguing and parsing words to create an argument

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
Hallalj#3
Club Player

groupie1 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Hallalj#3 wrote:No not at all everyone has an opinion. I just think you've been wrong lately and I'm only calling you on it, because I don't rate your opinions and obviously the club think Hickey can take that mantle and I agree with them.. Time to let go of the past and look forward we have a plan and it's starting to take shape.
How have I been wrong lately? How can opinion even be wrong? And I am really upset you dont rate my opinions. I wont be able to sleep tonight. And I have no idea what time to let go of the past even means in the context you said it. it makes no sense. And I reckon captain obvious would know the club thinks Hickey can take the mantle.

f*** sake, give it up.... stop arguing and parsing words to create an argument

Stopped arguing 2 days ago dude..

groupie1
Club Player

right on... it's a time zone thing, man.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

Any update on the Bruce situatation?

Are we waiting for a saviour?
I'm so sick of waiting!
I've been waiting my whole life!
This is a new day!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Little Dozer wrote:Any update on the Bruce situatation?

Still doing the commentary next season.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Little Dozer wrote:Any update on the Bruce situatation?

Still doing the commentary next season.
Delicious

falka
Club Player

Need Bruce from age and size profile more then longer.

Would love straight swap for fish now and keep early 20's pick

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

ausfatcat wrote:
Kickit wrote: True statistically there will only be a few first round dropouts. Unfortunately History suggests the dropout will inevitably drafted by StKilda.

Umm not more than any other club except Melbourne

2005 draft of Hawthorns

6 Beau Dowler (dud)
14 Grant Birchall (gop)
22 Beau Muston (dud)

One decent player and one decent injury plagued pplayer from all thse top draft picks

Every team has bad drafts, st Kilda had a bad period under rossy but we had some good drafts as wel at other times

Birchall is not a "GOP"! Hasn't he been all australian? He's highly underrated IMO.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

LTN16 wrote:
ausfatcat wrote: Umm not more than any other club except Melbourne

2005 draft of Hawthorns

6 Beau Dowler (dud)
14 Grant Birchall (gop)
22 Beau Muston (dud)

[/quote]
Birchall is not a "GOP"! Hasn't he been all australian? He's highly underrated IMO.[/quote]

Ellis was a very good player too. Birchall has been a gun and is athletic and quick. Bailey was a good ruckman when he did get on the park. The fact that they created such an even team with their worst not that far from their best was what made them excel not that they got one superstar doing all their work any way. I would prefer that that than getting Sam Gibert as our only decent player from 2005.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:
BigMart wrote:I didn't realise top 20 draft picks were certainties to become AFL guns.... Or even players

Raph Clarke, Andrew McQualter, Fergus Watts, Tom Lynch?

As I said before:

History says at least one out of two top 10 draft picks you bring in will be duds. 10 to 20 it goes to about 3 out of 4 being duds. After that it's lotto. Sometimes you arse first round stars like Hawks who got Roughy, Buddy and Lewis in the first round in the same draft but you can also get Scully and Trengrove who both failed to become anything but GOPs. Use them and use them well master Pelican.

I can't remember the stats but the likelihood of playing 100 games when taken after pick 40 is ridiculously unlikely.
..... BARRY BROOKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go you red, black & white warriors
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Back to the OP...no mention of Bruce recently...every club seems to hardball us.

Probably we have to see what Longer and Delaney will cost first.

Nee!
karnaby
Club Player

Funny, but I would have thought, given our needs, that Bruce would be the most important. Personally I'm still unconvinced about the need for an extra young ruckman and if we somehow don't end up with Delaney then afaic we can look for a stop gap solution and go looking again next year

It's a shame ignorance isn't painful
gringo
Saintsational Legend

karnaby wrote:Funny, but I would have thought, given our needs, that Bruce would be the most important. Personally I'm still unconvinced about the need for an extra young ruckman and if we somehow don't end up with Delaney then afaic we can look for a stop gap solution and go looking again next year

I have a feeling we will get Tippett if those guys don't happen. I don't want Longer unless they are so sure he is a bargain that he is worth training up and on selling for some midfield talent later.

karnaby
Club Player

I agree re Tippett or someone of that ilk. I really don't know anything about Longer, but if we do end up getting him there is a good chance it will create some selection issues. Anything after that is too subjective for me.

It's a shame ignorance isn't painful
Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

I feel the Bruce deal was on the back burner last week for both clubs. GWS was wheeling and dealing with everyone it seems and we were trying our damnedest to not get bent over by North.

Monday will be interesting. If we get the Delaney deal done early, which we should unless North choose to be dicks and try and get overs out of us (which it's been reported they will), We could come out of trade week in a decent position. We've got a number of picks now that we can't possibly use. What we have to give up for Bruce is anyones guess. I just hope it isn't too much

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

I thought Norf had agreed to let Delaney come to us for a very late pick if we let Dalsanto go as a free agent

I love this club
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Stillwaiting wrote:I thought Norf had agreed to let Delaney come to us for a very late pick if we let Dalsanto go as a free agent
That's correct I believe...pick 91 isn't it? Or am I hearing things?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
Stillwaiting wrote:I thought Norf had agreed to let Delaney come to us for a very late pick if we let Dalsanto go as a free agent
That's correct I believe...pick 91 isn't it? Or am I hearing things?

I don't think anyone can say because it isn't exactly legal. Both are playing dumb and when it goes through it will be suggested by the Roos and Saints that it will be a separate transaction.