Billy Longer

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: Billy Longer

Con Gorozidis wrote: I am talking about drafting - not trades. eg TDL and Lovett were both drafted. I suppose whats a trade and whats the draft?
Anyway.
I think its better if you have expert trade/list mgt/recruitment handling things at this time of year.
Coaches get too emotional and can be looking after their own short term interests.
we traded pick 16 to essendon for lovett...he was a trade....notb a draft pick.....

dennis=lane wasc also a trade...for pick 46

the stain went on to draft jasper pittard with picl 16 and the swine tim membrey with pick 46....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Agree Con. From my understanding and considering other compensation picks in the mix, we should get either pick 20 (band 2) or 25 (band 3) for Dal Santo.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote: I am talking about drafting - not trades. eg TDL and Lovett were both drafted. I suppose whats a trade and whats the draft?
Anyway.
I think its better if you have expert trade/list mgt/recruitment handling things at this time of year.
Coaches get too emotional and can be looking after their own short term interests.
we traded pick 16 to essendon for lovett...he was a trade....notb a draft pick.....

the stain went on to draft jasper pittard with picl 16 and the swine tim membrey with pick 46....
Grey definition between trade and draft then isnt it . You trade a dradt pick but in doing that you are making a value judgement on what that draft pick is worth.

Doesnt alter my view coaches should be forced to take a back seat at this time year.

Megamaguire
Club Player

joffaboy said "Totally disagree on Jones. No other player since Baker left can do Jones role. He ties down the Mitchells and Ablett's of the world, which in turn allows our mids to have a better run at the pill. He also negates the mid field attack which can help the defence.

No point in having young mids getting "experience" if they cant get near it because Mitchell, Ablett, Judd etc are controlling the centre."

Seconded.
It is possible to lose too many too soon and miss what is ideal. That is why i think Montagna becomes all the more important now as well as F.Ray & Jones.
Bj going last year and now Dal & McAboy this is enough from the middle zone of the ground I think.
We have lost a lot of soul with Dal/McAb going but I also think we had to be bold @ the same time. Perhaps the footy gods will think back to our grand finals and be a bit kinder to the Saints come the draft.

GO SAINTS! :o

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Personally don't agree on Jones but that's nothing new

there's too much fluctuation btw his best and worst for a snr player

as a tagger he got his butt handed to him way too much by the players he was tagging this season... esp in the first half of the season. it's not like he's an ultra solid performer like say Baker was (though Baker I guess did move down back when past his prime).

They may not have played the same role or be directly interchangeable but I saw no benefit of player Jones ahead of say Ledger or Ross this season. None at all

Gurgman
Club Player

lloyd21 wrote:Would be very very surprised if after getting 3 1st round picks & our list manager says they wanted 3 1st round picks thru the plan rebuild.

Then we give all that away for 1 pick earlier would make them look like idiots don't you think ?

As for Billy personally hope club secures him , former 1st round pick young fits group age demographic .
Get Jolly too , they have heaps of salary cap they need an experienced ruckman ala Steve King to teach positioning , running patterns , the ruck group are really young.

Personally hope that guys like TDL exited, still think completely strange move giving Jones a contract for next year.

So you want Billy which i agree , but whats the point of Jolly ? Big Tom was on one leg half of this year and more than showed me enough to suggest he will be a very good player for us , if we have all three rucks who plays and what do you do with Stanley ,if you think he will end up a key forward your on something as he has no idea how to read the play

And i thought this was a forum
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Personally think if we get Longer then we wont need Jolly. Surely between Hickey, Stanley, Longer or Jolly, Pierce and Holmes we have the ruck position covered. Perhaps they could give Jolly a playing/coaching role and get rid of the current ruck coach who didn't appear to have much of an positive influence on McEvoy's ruck work.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
saint6709
Club Player

saint6709 wrote:Agree - get longer and a good ruck coach - jolly can watch it on telly
Agree with the last 2 posts and quote myself !!

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Karl Langdon expects him to land at St Kilda for our pick in the 20s - maybe the Dal Santo compo pick

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
stinger wrote:
Anyway.

Grey definition between trade and draft then isnt it . You trade a dradt pick but in doing that you are making a value judgement on what that draft pick is worth.

Doesnt alter my view coaches should be forced to take a back seat at this time year.
i agree with the general gist of your argument...

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:Personally think if we get Longer then we wont need Jolly. Surely between Hickey, Stanley, Longer or Jolly, Pierce and Holmes we have the ruck position covered. Perhaps they could give Jolly a playing/coaching role and get rid of the current ruck coach who didn't appear to have much of an positive influence on McEvoy's ruck work.
I agree, thf only issue I see though is thf lack of experience where Jolly may be value for teaching and allowing a few games rest during the season

I love this club
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I would consider giving Brisbane a player and pick 3 for Longer and their pick 8.
When you consider pick 7 is gone for North Father Son McDonald, pick one to six will take players from Boyd, Aishe, Kelly, Scharenburg,Billings, Bomptempelli, Freeman, Sheed or Acres. there are going to be some good players not taken to choose from at 8.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I would consider giving Brisbane a player and pick 3 for Longer and their pick 8.
When you consider pick 7 is gone for North Father Son McDonald, pick one to six will take players from Boyd, Aishe, Kelly, Scharenburg,Billings, Bomptempelli, Freeman, Sheed or Acres. there are going to be some good players not taken to choose from at 8.

Barry why would you do that when we probably can get him for about pick 24?

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:Karl Langdon expects him to land at St Kilda for our pick in the 20s - maybe the Dal Santo compo pick

I'd be very satisfied with that. Get it done Saints

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

I feel for them to be honest. All these first rounders going will kill their development

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I would consider giving Brisbane a player and pick 3 for Longer and their pick 8.
When we have another 3 picks inside the top 25 we won't need to use pick 3. There's a gap between the top 5 and 6-20 so important we hang onto 3 for an elite talent. Saying that, I like what the Demons did and it would take a guy like Dom Tyson the part ways with pick 3 (as long as we got a top 10 pick coming back our way).

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Just been tweeted by Age journo Jason Phelan that Longer wishes to be traded to us. More to come.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
linmarnic
Club Player

saint66au wrote:Just been tweeted by Age journo Jason Phelan that Longer wishes to be traded to us. More to come.
That is great news! Thanks saint66au!!

Never give up
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Just been tweeted by Age journo Jason Phelan that Longer wishes to be traded to us. More to come.
Great news sain66au he's a real talent, massive upgrade on McEvoy and fits our age and list profile. Very pleased if this works out.

Bowey Boy
Club Player

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
markp
Saintsational Legend

Great news! :D

stinger
Saintsational Legend

PJ
SS Life Member

I think if we can get Longer for the right price then do it. When you are on the bottom it's about getting quality into the team and Longer has it in spades. We'll still get Delaney and Bruce but this guy IMO is already ahead of Hickey by some way.

As long as we don't give away our first 2 picks.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

kinda answers all our questions, doesn't it

Billy Longer is heading to Seaford, possibly for pick 25

St Kilda will in coming days secure North Melbourne key defender Luke Delaney for the bargain-basement price of pick 77.

And while Greater Western Sydney wants Sam Fisher and a draft pick for key defender Josh Bruce, the Saints are baulking at that price.

They aren’t offering Fisher and will secure Canberra-born tall Bruce in the pre-season draft if GWS does not accept its offer of pick 41.

It will now have picks three, 18 and 19, with the expectation that 25 will be enough to acquire Longer.

St Kilda has not ruled out recruiting ex-Collingwood ruckman Darren Jolly even if they acquire Longer, but clearly he would be more of an insurance player.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:kinda answers all our questions, doesn't it

Billy Longer is heading to Seaford, possibly for pick 25

St Kilda will in coming days secure North Melbourne key defender Luke Delaney for the bargain-basement price of pick 77.

And while Greater Western Sydney wants Sam Fisher and a draft pick for key defender Josh Bruce, the Saints are baulking at that price.

They aren’t offering Fisher and will secure Canberra-born tall Bruce in the pre-season draft if GWS does not accept its offer of pick 41.

It will now have picks three, 18 and 19, with the expectation that 25 will be enough to acquire Longer.

St Kilda has not ruled out recruiting ex-Collingwood ruckman Darren Jolly even if they acquire Longer, but clearly he would be more of an insurance player.

It's all starting to come together nicely !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!