Dal press conference

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Re: Dal press conference

Johnny Member wrote:This is why the Father-Son Rule is so obsolete these days.

If a club great can just pack up and go and play somewhere else for the hell of it, then why are we still being fed the outdated, romantic notion of the Father-Son nonsense?
Need to hang onto something and most sons of former champs support who their father played for originally !

PADDLEPOP1000
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Lenny is having a boy, and now you want to scrap it JM?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Still feel Dal was nudged .... nicely but nudged... when players use terms like "it has come to this" when talking bout their move you do wonder - despite the spin

“Yeah….nah””
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

pick 20 something is rubbish for him, still 3 plus years and he's a top player still, we got bent over :(

how are collingwood getting top picks for players :/ :/

anyway ...:(

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:pick 20 something is rubbish for him, still 3 plus years and he's a top player still, we got bent over :(

how are collingwood getting top picks for players :/ :/

anyway ...:(

We let him go at that pick. We werent forced to.

saintnick12
Club Player

Don't think they would have let him go for pick 25 only which is partly why it went down to the wire I think. He essentially went for 25 and Delaney. We weren't doing to use 77 and neither will they probably. Makes it a bit more palatable anyway.
In a way, I think it was like a marriage tht everyone knew was over, but they still did love each other and neither wanted to be the one to end it. Club didn't want to be seen to be disrespecting a club great and he didn't want to be seen to be deserting a sinking ship. It was clearly a difficult decision for both sides. He seems excited by the new challenge and future prospects but genuinely seems to have agonised over it. Club as well I think. Seems we never offered to extend his contract (which we have started with Riewoldt), so we didn't really try too hard to keep him despite the offer of three years on the table from another club. I wish him all the best (except against us). He seems a genuinely nice guy, was fantastic with the kids at both clinics this year too.
The BJ one was difficult too, but his manner made it easier to be upset with his decision. Club made him a sensible offer but he was offered more elsewhere. By not showing Dal the love they didn't really give him much of a choice. Hopefully both Delaney and 25 are great players for us which will make it easier to accept in the long term.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I certainly don't see or love the game as much as I used to. :(

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:He left, wants change, wants finals, wants a longer contract.

Just had a good pr campaign.

He didnt reject our offer because we didnt give him one. BJ rejected our offer which seemed pretty fair considering his previous 2 years.
Exactly.

But you could argue Dal's heart wasn't in it in 2013 and I'm sure his output will improve next season.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Lenny is having a boy, and now you want to scrap it JM?
Yes.

I see it as no different to Collingwood getting to play the last 11 games of 2010 at home whilst we travelled 3-4 times. That's 'good for the game' because more people got to watch the games, more money generated for the AFL etc. etc. - but it cost us a premiership.

For mine, it has to be, and should always be - about what is good for a sporting competition. And that means keeping it as fair as possible.

Getting a head start on drafting a good player, because a former player happens to have a boy is utterly ridiculous in the modern era.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

bozza1980 wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:It used to be great, when the concept of loyalty and tribalism was part of the game.

But it's not anymore. So the silly outdated concept should be canned totally..
C'mon. 7 Non Delisted Free Agents took up their right, and signed with other clubs.

In a competition with over 700 players, that's a rather small amount of player movement to warrant a cry of "there's no loyalty in the game anymore" especially when one considers that each of these players had spent 8 years and appox 150 or so games with the club they left
Johnny Member wrote:Perhaps the only time it should be allowed, is if the player is a one club player.
Interesting thought, but wait for it....
Johnny Member wrote:I mean seriously, for example Luke Ball and Max Hudghton having sons one day that we have a claim to? Seriously - those two left the club and the very next year stole a flag from our grasps! Yet this outdated romantic notion which is based on absolutely nothing other than an emotional concept that no longer has a place in the game - would mean that we could get an unfair crack at recruiting them simply because their dad's once played for us.

Crazy.
Max Hudghton was a one club player.

I like the father-son rule, the fact that Max has been an assistant coach at another club in no way diminishes the fact he is a St Kilda man.

Luke Ball is a different case, there is every chance that he may play 100+ games at Collingwood, rightly, in this circumstance, both clubs have claims to any budding Ball jnr champions.

Does the fact that Ian Stewart won a premiership and brownlow at Richmond in anyway diminish his standing as a St Kilda legend??

Why should get an advantage because Ian Stewart played for the Saints, whereas Richmond don't? Why should we get an advantage because one of our 'legends' has a boy - but another club's legend has a girl.

As for Max, there is no way in hell that he is a 'St Kilda man'. He was rejoicing in our demise, and Collingwood's success just moments after we had a flag ripped from under our noses. Ripped from under our noses, partly due to his input.

I don't resent him for it - it's the business. But for us to get the chance to get an unfair crack at getting his son in the draft just because he played for us, is ridiculous.

What about coaches sons? Where would Malthouse's son go (if Cain was any good!)? Why does this stupid, old fashioned rule only apply to players?

What about the lady's in the canteen? What if they do 50 years service at a club - why don't we get first crack at their talented sons?

Once upon a time, the rule had merit. Players and people grew up in suburbs and that club represented them. Having sons follow in their father's footsteps made some sense. I mean, hell, back then some supporters wouldn't have wanted the son of an opposition legend anywhere near Moorabbin!

But these days, it has no place and based on the fact most people involved in the game have been involved at more than one game by the time they have kids - it is also irrelevant.

Where do Alastair Clarkson's kids play? He played for North, and Melbourne. He's coached at the Saints, Port and won flags as coach for Hawthorn. Where's the 'romance' and relevance of his son getting a free ride to North one day?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:I certainly don't see or love the game as much as I used to. :(
Same. This is the cost of FA that we won't know till 10+ years down track

As the game moves from an emotional, tribal attachment (clubs players already seen to have) but as the supporter groups follow - what does our game look like?

What does a bunch of footy followers supporting a commodity feel like in the future

“Yeah….nah””
maverick
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
The Fireman wrote:I certainly don't see or love the game as much as I used to. :(

As the game moves from an emotional, tribal attachment (clubs players already seen to have) but as the supporter groups follow - what does our game look like?

What does a bunch of footy followers supporting a commodity feel like in the future
Is this because it's now happening to us on mass maybe?
We were all excited when Gehrig, Hamill, Black & a couple of other steak knives came in 2000.

The Hawks have always done this to regenerate their list, Dermie, Hall, Jarman, Croad, now Buddy, all Hawk icons at the time but moved on when they had to, didn't diminish their Hawk heritage.....

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
The Hawks have always done this to regenerate their list, Dermie, Hall, Jarman, Croad, now Buddy, all Hawk icons at the time but moved on when they had to, didn't diminish their Hawk heritage.....

In my eyes, the 'Hawk heritage' is nothing but myth.

They train at Waverley, play at the MCG, their coach never wore their jumper, over a 3rd of their list came from other clubs, their assistants never played for Hawthorn.

Hawthorn only came good in the AFL once they actually discarded their 'heritage' by moving with the times and not hiring ex-Hawks as coaches and politely told the Dermott Brereton's of the world to move along.

Like all things AFL, the only ones still brainwashed, deluded and ultimately sucked in by this 'culture' or 'heritage' thing is the fans. Everyone else - players, coaches and administrators all know it's nonsense and that they are only 'proud Hawthorn people' because they're giving them a pay cheque each month. And, they'd pack and become 'proud xxxxx people' if the price was right in a heartbeat.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
Teflon wrote:

Is this because it's now happening to us on mass maybe?
We were all excited when Gehrig, Hamill, Black & a couple of other steak knives came in 2000.

Probably but it must have disenfranchised the members from the clubs that they left to a certain degree. It cuts away at you bit by bit.....Lockett leaving took a huge chunk then Ball, Hall, Everitt.BJ Dal. and the rest ......now there is not much left. Some of these blokes are champs and let's face it we would all,as fans, wish to see them play out their days at the club that they started at. I know as fans we can pick and choose, in other words not so worried about players leaving that aren't much chop...but I see that as the Fans prerogative...no fans...no game....... "Fortius quo Fidelius" ?

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Read an article rather than see him in a blue shirt and yes he is all class.

No post match crocodile tears for Dal

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Raw emotion or 'croc tears'

There is absolutely no difference between Dal or BJ.... Both made a decision to leave in FA?

One for money, one for success....

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

hope North and Essendon get smashed in 2014.
The only one I am upset about is us letting go...of our own free choice, big ben...at age 24, when he has 5 to 6 years of top notch footy ahead of him and he is coming into his own.
Madness :(

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Dan Warna wrote:hope North and Essendon get smashed in 2014.
The only one I am upset about is us letting go...of our own free choice, big ben...at age 24, when he has 5 to 6 years of top notch footy ahead of him and he is coming into his own.
Madness :(
In terms of where the list is at, he is not really helpful.

What is helpful is getting more picks around where the list will end up going.

Once the next core is 25, Mac would be 30/31 and considering he barely moves well now, imagine at 30!

Right call in the end