Mark Fine

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Mark Fine

I don't listen to this "merchant" myself, but was wondering....has he been urging folk to get on board for 2014 with memberships? Now THAT would be doing something positive for the club! (IMHO of course)

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Re: Mark Fine

Those who don't think Mark Fine is a Saint

Don't know much?!

Oh, that's right he criticised some things happening which he felt were poor... And he cannot give a negative opinion?!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Those who don't think Mark Fine is a Saint

Don't know much?!

Oh, that's right he criticised some things happening which he felt were poor... And he cannot give a negative opinion?!
These may well be his opinions, that he is entirled to, but are they broadcast for any reason other than to increase ratings?

What possible good does it do to air them in public? Will it lead to changes? What if the information he has recieved is wrong?

By regularly having a go at the club on air he is only helping to destablise the place and make it even harder to recruit players, members & sponsors.

So what is he, just a fan like us but one with a radio show, actually trying to achieve?

Beekay
SS Life Member

Don't know much?!

You're having a laugh, surely?

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

A "merchant" for mine after that disgraceful call for Watters to be sacked!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Used to think he was quite a good source of info and used to enjoy his show but like so many media people he has become a sensationalist and enjoys the sound of his own voice but won " t let people talk on his show if they don" t agree with him! Really turned into quite a poor media performer which is a pity !

PADDLEPOP1000
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:A "merchant" for mine after that disgraceful call for Watters to be sacked!

I cant see anything wrong with that if he really believes it. I wouldnt sack SW now in a pink fit but i know a few saints supporters who would and a few more who wouldnt. Our club has sacked many coaches in their time so the club isnt an innocent party in these types of things.

jimmy_slats
Club Player

Don't know much?!

You have had some bad ones but that takes the cake.... yeah its fine for saints fans in the media to make up s*** and pass it as fact and you can say what you wont about that but even if you know more than me on the topic its not fact and dickheads like him or anyone for that matter should drag our club through the mud on what the think is fact!!! So yes he cannot give the opinion he did and still call himself a saint

'WALK THIS WAY!!!!!'
defacto
Club Player

Don't know much?!

I used to love listening to Finey. I turn off now and listen to sports today on 3aw instead.

The bloke has turned into what he used to criticise other media personalities for. How many times have we heard him criticise caro, Hutchy, Barrett and even 60 mins for making outlandish claims without any evidence?

He is now doing it. Half the problem is his shite producer, who runs with more rumor and innuendo than bigfooty posters.

Did you hear his claim of a "big announcement coming out of the saints within 72 hours". What happened to that

He is now a shock jock

Darth Vader
Club Player

Like most here I'm not a club insider, but I know a few who recently were and still have close connections to current senior players and to ex-players who are hearing things from within the club. The consistent message I'm hearing is very negative toward the coach. I would love it if Tony74 is proven correct and everything is sweet, but there are enough rumblings to suggest this might not be the case. Fine is obviously hearing the same things and is reporting this. Regardless of his love for the club he's got a job to do on his radio show which is to chase ratings. He probably also thinks he's doing the club a favour in the long term in undermining the coach if he believes he's no good.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

I love the way he went after the Eagles this year following our match with them. Scored a few carry over brownie points there.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

A few ppl need to put this into perspective.

Its one thing to be critical. Goodness knows we ought to be used to copping a whack or 2 by now. If u say big off-field news in the next 72hrs... U'd want more than a fitness coach quit

Ppl respect accurate reporting

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Has become a shock jock and egoist.
And i dont agree with oh hea entitled to his opinion crap.
Thats naive in the extreme. He is in the media. He knows he has an audience
He has the privilege if an audience and therefore a higher standard of responsibilty .
He should not be held to the same standards as a bloke in a pub or on here but higher.

Add to that his massive hypocrisy. He alwaya bags other journos buy he's worse.
The fact he has damaged his own club for no good reason makes it worse.

Alan Richardson. Seriously. Thats not an opinion thats just making crap up on the spot.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Darth Vader wrote:Like most here I'm not a club insider, but I know a few who recently were and still have close connections to current senior players and to ex-players who are hearing things from within the club. The consistent message I'm hearing is very negative toward the coach. I would love it if Tony74 is proven correct and everything is sweet, but there are enough rumblings to suggest this might not be the case. Fine is obviously hearing the same things and is reporting this. Regardless of his love for the club he's got a job to do on his radio show which is to chase ratings. He probably also thinks he's doing the club a favour in the long term in undermining the coach if he believes he's no good.
Agree with this.
Perhaps Pelchen and a couple of very senior players confronted board with a "him or us" ultimatum regarding Watters.,
In this scenario it would be safe to assume a huge bombshell in the next 72 hours, one way or the other.
Board then theoretically gets main players in the one room draws up a new set of guidelines going forward and asks if they can all live with the situation.
Just because everybody is still there does not mean there wasn't cause for concern in the first instance.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Finey has turned into a monster. I don't mind listening to his shows, but recently, all of the shows he hosts is all me me me. He gets a special guest on,and tells that special guest 7-8 stories about himself, by the end of the interview the guest doesn't even get to answer a question,they just listen to Finey waffle on about his days in under 16's. Every show in every sport,chasing birdies,the cricket show,etc,hijacks every conversation. Imagine what he is like at the pub..

Bring back the Lockett era
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Still more of the same.
People claim they know people and talk about rumblings and discontent but noone adds any substance.
What is the issue with the coach ?

What category is it in ?

Personality
Motivation
Selection
Training and fitness
Game plan
?????
Not one person has even to able to give me a category.
The only issues anyone has mentioned are the dwarf one and the holiday one .
In both instances senior players were involved who should know better amd shouldnt be acting like kids if they dont want to be treated like them.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Add to to that its fairly easy to see where the friction is between Pelchen and SW.

Pelchen : my strategy requires two low finishes so i can attack the draft.
SW: two low finishes will end my career
Pelchan: thats not my problem

This is where a good Board and CEO come in.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Add to to that its fairly easy to see where the friction is between Pelchen and SW.

Pelchen : my strategy requires two low finishes so i can attack the draft.
SW: two low finishes will end my career
Pelchan: thats not my problem

This is where a good Board and CEO come in.
Exactly right

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Mark Fine is trying to compete with Gerard Healey & Dwayne Russell on 3AW (and isn't making much of a mark). The 72 hour "Non Story" was no more than a ploy to get people to listen to the first hour of his show (when he goes head to head with Gerard & Dwayne).

His OPINION statement that Scott Watters should be sacked and replaced by Allan Richardson should be taken in context. Those who know of the mutual friends that Fine & Richardson share will understand.

Fine is rating very badly and SEN would have to be looking very closely at replacing him, and that is causing him to become more & more desperate to hold on to his job !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Moorabbin Man
Club Player

I've had a gutful of the constant attacks on Mark Fine. I know the man (he is a friend of a good friend) and he is a ferociously passionate Saints man. He attends most games and stands (no cushy free media seats in the Medallion Club, which he could avail himself of) barracking intensely. Firstly, he could not have said what he said about Watters without clearance from his employer (SEN). Considering he was calling for his sacking, he would of needed reliable mail on the goings on at the Club or his employer would not have allowed it. I don't think Finey was going to risk his livelihood (he has many children) on a baseless call for Watter's immediate sacking.

Since he made the call information has come out suggesting that he was on the money about problems at the club involving Watters. Whether or not Watters should be sacked over the issues is an opinion. As it turned out an option that was indeed considered by the Board. So it seems that Finey's comments were not wild and reckless. I think opinions on here that Finey was grandstanding are off the mark, I think it is obvious that he was genuinely concerned for the state of our club after hearing inside information that was probably accurate. The most concerning aspect was that there was tension between Watters and some (or many) of the players. I think information that has since surfaced, backs that up as a fact. Whilst I agree that the tail should not wag the dog, our senior group of players over a decade have mostly been rock solid citizens and adapted to sudden changes, so if their relationship with the Coach was strained, there was probably a genuine issue.

I am sick of people being shot down on this forum for criticising the club. They have every right to, particularly if they are members. I have been critical of the Club on numerous occasions: The move from Moorabbin to Waverley on the back of a dubious ballot; the sacking of Stan Alves; the spectacular treatment of Malcom Blight; the rolling of Rod Butters; and the bungling loss of Ross Lyon to name a few. It still doesn't diminish my loyalty and I'm still always a member, just like Finey.

I genuinely respect the Jigging Saint's ability to reamin positive, it is a great quality. However, attacking someone with a different perspective or who offers an opinion that is negative is going too far. Take it from me, Finey is a loyal Saint, unlike some of the fair weather idiots that have graced this forum and tore up their memberships over the school girl saga or midget gate. Oh and what about the fair weather idiots who did not show up to games later in the season because Milney was playing, even though one of the pillars of our civilised society is the right to the presumption of innocence! Have a crack at those clowns Jiggster.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Moorabbin Man wrote:I've had a gutful of the constant attacks on Mark Fine. I know the man (he is a friend of a good friend) and he is a ferociously passionate Saints man. He attends most games and stands (no cushy free media seats in the Medallion Club, which he could avail himself of) barracking intensely. Firstly, he could not have said what he said about Watters without clearance from his employer (SEN). Considering he was calling for his sacking, he would of needed reliable mail on the goings on at the Club or his employer would not have allowed it. I don't think Finey was going to risk his livelihood (he has many children) on a baseless call for Watter's immediate sacking.

Since he made the call information has come out suggesting that he was on the money about problems at the club involving Watters. Whether or not Watters should be sacked over the issues is an opinion. As it turned out an option that was indeed considered by the Board. So it seems that Finey's comments were not wild and reckless. I think opinions on here that Finey was grandstanding are off the mark, I think it is obvious that he was genuinely concerned for the state of our club after hearing inside information that was probably accurate. The most concerning aspect was that there was tension between Watters and some (or many) of the players. I think information that has since surfaced, backs that up as a fact. Whilst I agree that the tail should not wag the dog, our senior group of players over a decade have mostly been rock solid citizens and adapted to sudden changes, so if their relationship with the Coach was strained, there was probably a genuine issue.

I am sick of people being shot down on this forum for criticising the club. They have every right to, particularly if they are members. I have been critical of the Club on numerous occasions: The move from Moorabbin to Waverley on the back of a dubious ballot; the sacking of Stan Alves; the spectacular treatment of Malcom Blight; the rolling of Rod Butters; and the bungling loss of Ross Lyon to name a few. It still doesn't diminish my loyalty and I'm still always a member, just like Finey.

I genuinely respect the Jigging Saint's ability to reamin positive, it is a great quality. However, attacking someone with a different perspective or who offers an opinion that is negative is going too far. Take it from me, Finey is a loyal Saint, unlike some of the fair weather idiots that have graced this forum and tore up their memberships over the school girl saga or midget gate. Oh and what about the fair weather idiots who did not show up to games later in the season because Milney was playing, even though one of the pillars of our civilised society is the right to the presumption of innocence! Have a crack at those clowns Jiggster.
We all support criticism - but can it be measured and based on substance?
Can it be constructive?
' hearing inside information that was probably accurate' - I am yet to hear once single bit of evidence except it was 'tension with players'.
Can we have it out in the open then?

I have had a gutful of people crapping on about 'inside information' and 'rumblings'.
Its all weasel words. They think by winking, nudging in inferring to things with some 'secret' info they can pass it off a real argument.

Why do none of these people have the guts to out all out on the table? Cos if the truth REALLY came out we all know the players doing the white anting would be the ones looking foolish and immature.

jaxons
Club Player

I am getting tired of all the people on here bagging people who have expressed an opinion on Watters and don't like it.
Finey is in the know and loves the club.
He speaks to lots of Stk players regularly.
Amazing how everyone either wants to live with their head in the sand or bag people who know something and express their knowledge.
People can't come out and give details as it is too unsettling.
Please respect that.
Everything will surface soon.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I don't care if Mark Fine is 100% right on this... the bloke is a complete flog who will soon be looking for a new job.

FQF
SS Life Member

jaxons wrote:I am getting tired of all the people on here bagging people who have expressed an opinion on Watters and don't like it.
Finey is in the know and loves the club.
He speaks to lots of Stk players regularly.
Amazing how everyone either wants to live with their head in the sand or bag people who know something and express their knowledge.
People can't come out and give details as it is too unsettling.
Please respect that.
Everything will surface soon.
Must be a long 72 hours

Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote: Everything will surface soon.
That's why I dont bother getting mixed up with the who knows who or what - I just wait until the washing machine cycle has finished and hang it out to dry and after that Ill make my own judgement.

I'll always be a member no matter what.

Lets all just sit back and let it unfold.

go Saints