Williams as Head coach and R. Harver as Senior Assistant.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

citywest

Williams as Head coach and R. Harver as Senior Assistant.

The succession plan would be for 3 years because by then we will have finished the re-build. But these next 3 years are going to be hell. We are looking at a maximum of 10 wins combined. So let Williams take all the heat and in turn it gives Harvey another 3 years of fine tuning his Leadership skills. When he takes over he would have 8 years experience as an assistant.

To me this seems a no brainer. Why on earth would you even consider Ratten is beyond me. I would like to either have a chat to Pelchen or at the very least send him an email. The planets have finally aligned for the Saints. If we miss this chance with Robert Harvey then I fear for St Kilda's future, I really do.

R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

Re: Williams as Head coach and R. Harver as Senior Assistant

Sounds good in theory, but what happens in 3 years if we look like we are coming good and things are looking up?

Chocco might not want to let go of the reigns and you wouldn't blame him, also it could be in the best interests of the team
to keep things going how they are and not rock the boat?

We don't want a Malthouse/Buckley scenario do we?

If it went swimmingly and was a smooth transition then it's ideal but I can see it getting messing? Dunno!

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
citywest

It wouldn't be messy if Pelchen continues with his plan and that is to keep trading an aging star every year. By doing this it will keep us in the bottom 4 for the next 3 years but by then we will be ready to explode (just like 2004).

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

For what its worth I don't believe in "succession plans" if we get a coach appointed, then let him be the senior coach: PERIOD! Not the coach we have "while we wait for Harves to come good" For all their bluster and bluff Collingwood know darn well that the so-called "succession plan" has been a right old can of worms, and since the flag in 2010 they (Collingwood) have been on a backward trajectory, with the indignity of going out in the first week of finals in 2013. It may well be that Nathan Buckley will prove to be an excellent AFL Senior Coach, but this has nothing to do with him being part of a "succession plan", which was hatched because Eddie couldn't make the hard call on Malthouse in 2009.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:The succession plan would be for 3 years because by then we will have finished the re-build. But these next 3 years are going to be hell. We are looking at a maximum of 10 wins combined. So let Williams take all the heat and in turn it gives Harvey another 3 years of fine tuning his Leadership skills. When he takes over he would have 8 years experience as an assistant.

To me this seems a no brainer. Why on earth would you even consider Ratten is beyond me. I would like to either have a chat to Pelchen or at the very least send him an email. The planets have finally aligned for the Saints. If we miss this chance with Robert Harvey then I fear for St Kilda's future, I really do.
realistically we are going to be rebuilding for the next 3 years any way so it doenst really matter who we have coaching heck ill do it for 3 years then they can sack me and poach Harvey from what ever club he is working at at that time ... if Harvey is to become a great head coach it doesnt matter if we have him for three years as an understudy or if he continues on his current carreer path ... i also highly doubt the future of our club is reliant on us making this kind of move

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
stinger
Saintsational Legend

thefilth won't let banger go for anything less than a senior coaching position...and i don't blame them either...that's how the system works these days for assistants still on contract....so, coach or nothing for banger...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:thefilth won't let banger go for anything less than a senior coaching position...and i don't blame them either...that's how the system works these days for assistants still on contract....so, coach or nothing for banger...

Agree twice in a day,. Shoot me.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
stinger wrote:thefilth won't let banger go for anything less than a senior coaching position...and i don't blame them either...that's how the system works these days for assistants still on contract....so, coach or nothing for banger...

Agree twice in a day,. Shoot me.
In b4 the rush...

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
citywest

Well if we can't get Williams and Banger just hire Banger. He is ready anyway. He has had 5 years now and he would unite the place. The players love him and the supporters love him. Just make sure the board understand that no matter who coaches the next 3 years we will be lucky to win a combined 10 games. So the coach needs to start aiming for finals in 2017.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Succession plans in advance are destablising, UNLESS you have an incumbant that already wants to go.

It has caused turmoil at the Pies (good in this case!!!).

It worked for the Swans as Roos wanted to pull the pin.

Much as I love Banger it would be foolish in the extreme to gift him the head-coaching job. He either is good enough, or he isn't.

Bringing him in as the anointed one under Williams would place Williams in a poor position, which would backfire on the Saints.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

the last thing we need at the moment is another un-tried coach. give me Williams or Ayres.
but not Eade or Ratten (I would have serious serious issues with Ratten).

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
felix
Club Player

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
citywest wrote:The succession plan would be for 3 years because by then we will have finished the re-build. But these next 3 years are going to be hell. We are looking at a maximum of 10 wins combined. So let Williams take all the heat and in turn it gives Harvey another 3 years of fine tuning his Leadership skills. When he takes over he would have 8 years experience as an assistant.

realistically we are going to be rebuilding for the next 3 years any way so it doenst really matter who we have coaching heck ill do it for 3 years then they can sack me and poach Harvey from what ever club he is working at at that time ... if Harvey is to become a great head coach it doesnt matter if we have him for three years as an understudy or if he continues on his current carreer path ... i also highly doubt the future of our club is reliant on us making this kind of move
I don't get the " it doesn't matter who we have coaching us for the next 3 years" theory. So we don't develope a game plan
Or help develope players so they are ready for this so called tilt in three years. So they just drift around training coached by a forum member or who ever just playing kick to kick . We need our young players up and about immediately as soon as possible not left to drift they need to be jumping for when the " tilt " comes . We need the best coach available now and to be going flat chat.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Ayres???? Another Brereton mate?

Geez us it gets worse....

No voss
No ratthead
No knights
No Ayres

Yes Williams
Maybe Tudor
Maybe Worsfold

“Yeah….nah””
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I personally think the time is perfect for Harvey. Not many senior coaches had five years as an assistant under three different coaches and at three teams. Go Saints... And think of what the move would do for our membership!

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Ayres???? Another Brereton mate?

No voss
No ratthead
No knights
No Ayres

Yes Williams
Maybe Tudor
Maybe Worsfold
Jesus Worsfold would be hard to swallow. :shock: He's a prick and my most disliked person in football. Would seriously have to do some work to like Worsfold.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
Teflon wrote:Ayres???? Another Brereton mate?

No voss
No ratthead
No knights
No Ayres

Yes Williams
Maybe Tudor
Maybe Worsfold
Jesus Worsfold would be hard to swallow. :shock: He's a prick and my most disliked person in football. Would seriously have to do some work to like Worsfold.
Maybe. Ross Lyons a prick. Clarksons a prick. Good coaches though and I reckon hard ass players like Worsfold are cut from the same cloth.

“Yeah….nah””
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Its going to be Williams and harvey wont be let go to do the same job he has already. Also having Harvey would be like throwing him under a bus. We are very likely to be bottom 2 or 3 for the next 2 years whoever coaches. Imagine the pressure on a club legend in his third year if the previous 2 were crap. Im sure Williams could handle that but no so sure us and harvey could handle it.

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Are we all scared of the great man failing ,if he"s ready the time is now no protecting him , no half arse stories ,5 years apprenticeship,3 different clubs time to unite the saints and bring with him some good assistants,sometimes fairy tales do come true!

PADDLEPOP1000
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

A head coach that can take the heat and some really affordable assistants, just insert the obvious names and that is probably all that is needed for a few years. Then come on down Alastair Clarkson.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

It's dead simple the coach MUST be able to work alongside Pelchen.

Williams is therfore the only candidate.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

+1.

Not sure if Banger would leave for anything other than senior job anyway.

FQF
SS Life Member

Simple question:

Why has Harvey not been in serious contention for any other coaching position this year?

Melbourne - maybe that one's understandable.

West Coast - untried coach.

Brisbane - untried coach.

Either he's good enough or he isn't?

Please explain.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Carringbush obviously think he is good enough. Maybe they intend making him coach if Bucks implodes.

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Harvey does not do a song and dance about how he wants to be senior coach ,might not sell himself as well as others as has always been his way!Make no mistake about his inner drive though!

PADDLEPOP1000
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

felix wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:

I don't get the " it doesn't matter who we have coaching us for the next 3 years" theory. So we don't develope a game plan
Or help develope players so they are ready for this so called tilt in three years. So they just drift around training coached by a forum member or who ever just playing kick to kick . We need our young players up and about immediately as soon as possible not left to drift they need to be jumping for when the " tilt " comes . We need the best coach available now and to be going flat chat.
obviously im taking the pi55 saying any one can do the job obviously we need a coach with some idea on what he is doing , but at this stage we need a development coach most importantly .. there is no point right now brininging in a Ross Lyon type master tactical coach when we dont have the cattle to implement that kind of game .. we need to build up the list then from that we develop the game plan around the list we build ... realistically we are going to be bottom four for the next 2-3 years the reality of that is regardless of who we get by the time we start to get better there will e questions asked of that coach and his ability (look at Freo under harvey where he did the developing only to get the chop once a higher credential coach was somewhat remotely available)

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/