Tigers might Block Williams Appointment.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

TimPekin'sDirtyGuernsey
Club Player

Re: Tigers might Block Williams Appointment.

Eastern wrote:Not hard to work out what's going on here. Brendan Gale trying to use diplomacy to hide his lack of courage and getting Caro to do his "Dirty Work" for him !!
What crap.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

I think their angst is fair enough.

Basically, they were settled and clearly think they're primed for a top 4 finish this year. Fair enough too.

But now, on the eve of the season when all clubs have locked in their resourcing - we might pinch one of their key people.

Pinching one of their key people is probably not the big issue - the big issue will be that it will be really hard for them to replace him in time. Because all other clubs have everyone locked in, and won't allow an assistant to jump ship merely for another assistant's role.

So they very realistically could go in to 2014 with either no assistant (obviously unlikely) or a 2nd stringer that no one else wanted.

So I understand their shittiness about it.

But, should the Saints take this into account when making their decisions? Of course not.

Stiff s***.

And let's be honest here, Caroline Wilson clearly knew this was happening about 6 weeks ago! So the Tigers should have been prepared anyway!

R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

Wayne42 wrote:Caro is basically saying StKilda were only thinking of themselves when they sacked Watters in November,
how dare they now upset other clubs plans by poaching one of their assistants just as pre season is about to begin.

Richmond will implode without our help, thaths the thing she forgeths...

Maybe the Saints should talk to Nathan Bassett, i doubt that would upset Essendopes plans, they have their own coaching merry go round :lol: :lol:
Where was the article when Fremantle were thinking of themselves when they were taking our coach when we were playing finals in 2011?

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

For what it's worth, KB opened this morning by saying that the thought that the Tiges would block such an appointment was utterly ridiculous (something along the lines of "they should shake his hand and wish him well").

The other bloke sitting with him (Greg Denham?) later said he thought Gale was having a bit of an off season "joke", as there was absolutely no way the Tiges would in fact stop Choco going to a senior gig.

Always loyal
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

So Caro is running with her own agenda?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

magnifisaint wrote:So Caro is running with her own agenda?
Surprising, isn't it?

Always loyal
philtee
Club Player

You'd think the Saints lawyers would have already have gone through Williams' contract to look
for the outs they can take advantage of.

Lyon Tamer
Club Player

I'm sure if Williams wanted out and therefore didn't want to be the Tigers, they would let him go. Sounds like Caro is trying to create headlines where there are none.

If you were a boss, would you want an employee who doesn't want to be there?

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Choco is not the bloke I would like to get the job anyway. Richmond can do whatever they like.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Lyon Tamer wrote:I'm sure if Williams wanted out and therefore didn't want to be the Tigers, they would let him go. Sounds like Caro is trying to create headlines where there are none.

If you were a boss, would you want an employee who doesn't want to be there?
Exactedly. I think the Tigers are being pointed about the inconvenience and angling for a bit of compo maytbe? But if Choco's appointed I can't see them stopping him. Its goes against all precedence of never stopping assistants getting a top job.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote: Exactedly. I think the Tigers are being pointed about the inconvenience and angling for a bit of compo maytbe?
There's a little fella looking for a job :wink:

FQF
SS Life Member

sainterinsydney wrote:As someone who is at the end of their law degree, if Choco wants to leave and Tiges play hardball, it will definitely be deemed a breach of his contract, especially if there is no exit clause for senior coaching eventuations. However, a court is very reluctant to order specific performance of a contract where the contract is for providing an ongoing service and the breaching party has no desire to go through with the contract--as ordering specific performance of the contract would require continued supervision by the court, which it doesn't want to do. In the worst case scenario, Choco would be liable for damages for breach of contract, but would be able to come to us no problem. This is my legal take on the situation.

You're right about no specific performance. But there's every chance the court could order a negative injunction preventing him from working anywhere else, especially if there is an exclusivity clause in the contract. (Look at Curro v BP Productions).

But it won't get to that, and with Jack Rush QC on the board, we are in VERY good hands legally.

sainterinsydney
Club Player

We waited until November so it didn't taint our trade prospects.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Worst case scenario.
1. Saints have to pay Smurf for next year.
2. Saints ordered by a court to pay out Chocko's contract to Richmond
Could mean that with all this extra cost, selection panel is overruled by the bean-counters and have to go with second choice.
Smurf would be happy with that outcome.
Imagine if Dockers didn't get Ro$$, and were forced to get a spud.
Mark Harvey would have smiled and said "suffer you bastards"

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Can't imagine a scenario where we are ordered to pay Richmond anything. If Choco walks, he doesn't get paid. If he has been paid up front in any way, he will owe Richmond that $ back. I guess we could tip some $ into the Richmond kitty to smooth the way, but I'd be surprised if we had to go that far.
I'd also be surprised if Choco's contract with Richmond contained any clause that enabled the Tiges to injunct him from taking a senior coaching position at another club, particularly in circumstances where they have previously allowed him to interview for other roles.
I reckon it's all a lot of smoke from Gale. I can't imagine Richmond wanting to waste $ on legal fees for this. They just want to make sure everyone knows they have been "wronged". Rile up the supporters for the next Jack v Roo encounter ...

Always loyal
Kernal75
Club Player

Simple equation.
They release Williams and we give them Watters, everyones a winner

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Kernal75 wrote:Simple equation.
No one would want the dwarf

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
Kernal75 wrote:Simple equation.
No one would want the dwarf
Do we really have players that would wish so much hatred and bad will on someone. Irrespective of any issues Watters and the club had, the dwarf incident is now surely not something that is seen as a justifiable act. Anyway you look at it, the players still look bad, probably even more so now.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

TimPekin'sDirtyGuernsey wrote:
Eastern wrote:Not hard to work out what's going on here. Brendan Gale trying to use diplomacy to hide his lack of courage and getting Caro to do his "Dirty Work" for him !!
What crap.
History suggests NOT crap. Two years ago Gale got his bum kicked by the AFL for leaking bits of the FIXture to Caro who then turned it into a WHINGING headline on behalf of Richmond, then the same thing happened again when the 2014 FIXture was released and Richmond weren't part of the opening game. Then this. I'm sure that if I had the time to do the research I would find many more examples !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

70s sainter
Club Player

magnifisaint wrote:She really does have an agenda - "While a shattered and angry Watters remains determined to make St Kilda pay for its decision to remove him"

-really how is Watters going to do that?

If Williams is so desperate to coach at AFL senior level then this may be his last chance. Do you really think he gives a rats about Richmond?

He wants to make stkilda pay??? How about $500000 for doing SFA??

sendmehomehappy
Club Player

Simple: a three way draft swap.

Smurf to Malhouse

One Caaaaaaaarlton assistant to Caro's Mob

and Williams to us.

" If thought corrupts language then language can also corrupt thought."

Politics and the English Language George Orwell
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

70s sainter wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:She really does have an agenda - "While a shattered and angry Watters remains determined to make St Kilda pay for its decision to remove him"

-really how is Watters going to do that?

If Williams is so desperate to coach at AFL senior level then this may be his last chance. Do you really think he gives a rats about Richmond?

He wants to make stkilda pay??? How about $500000 for doing SFA??
Well that was always agreed. By the sound of her article she's implying some sort of vengeance.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

She's giving them an excuse if they don't go better next year !
" bad ol st kilda , stole our coach ! "

In red white and black from 73
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Conspiracy theory: Richmond wanted to keep Williams in case things go pear shaped with Hardwick. Bad loss to Carlton in finals might have made them feel a bit queasy and Richmond, like us, not renown for their patience.