Eli Templeton (Rookie - Pick #3)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Eli Templeton (Rookie - Pick #3)

Welcome to the Saints, Eli.

Nice selection. Touted by many as a top 30 national draft pick.

Short but classy inside mid from Tasmania.

Position: Midfielder
Height: 182cm
Weight: 75kg
Born: 19/8/95
Home club: Burnie Dockers

2013 STATS
Comp P K* H* M* G
U18s 4 13.0 9.75 3.75 2
TAC Cup 2 12.5 12.0 3.5 1

The inside word
Midfielder Eli Templeton was one of the standouts for Tasmania throughout the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships. Templeton's mop of blond hair, akin to Dyson Heppell, stands out but so does his attitude; he takes a few risks with the ball, and tries things others perhaps wouldn't. He averaged 22.5 disposals in the Championships and was a regular in Tasmania's best players. The nimble Templeton was among the strong performers in October's Draft Combine, coming in seventh in the 3km time trial, running 10m 5s, and placing fourth in the beep test with an elite 15.3.

Meet Eli Templeton: (Video) http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-28/2 ... -templeton

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: Eli Templeton (Rookie - Pick #3)

evertonfc wrote:Touted by many as a top 30 national draft pick.
Nah, he wasn't a top 30 national draft pick. You know how I can tell? Because I'm looking at the list of the first 30 picks in the national draft and he wasn't one of them.

TwoTowers
Club Player

Footy Tragic had Templeton as 15th best in the National Draft, well ahead of players such as Hartung and Cripps. Looks like another good acquisition.

ELI TEMPLETON

Height: 182cm, Weight: 73kg, DOB: 19/8/1995

Recruited from: Burnie Dockers

Eli Templeton is really just a ‘no-fuss’ type of player. You’d be foolish to just look at his hair and put him in the flaky basket because that’s just not who he is. He’s an extremely hard-working midfielder who just keeps working on improving his game.

Templeton came onto the scene at U/16’s level when he really did well at the National Carnival. He got picked in the AIS Academy squad but was then not invited back this year which would’ve been a big kick in the guts for him. He took it in his stride and completed a fantastic season where he played senior level footy in Tasmania for the Burnie Dockers as well as representing Tasmania again in the National Champs where he really staked his claim as a top prospect.

Templeton doesn’t exactly have many standout features, but he’s just pretty good at everything. He does have a slight build, but he should be able to fill out just fine. He’s put on six kilos this year which gives you a bit of a picture of where he’s coming from physically. In the early days of his AFL career he’d probably be a bit too slight to play as a permanent midfielder, but he’s not a stranger to playing off the flanks. Eventually the midfield will be his role and he’s capable of playing inside and out.

Athletically Templeton is outstanding, and he’s the type of player that will just keep on going when everyone else is out on their feet. He’s a willing worker who enjoys finding space, spreading and linking up and this will be extremely beneficial late in games. He had a very good Combine, which basically confirmed everything we’ve seen from him out on the field. There have been some queries on his pace, but I thought he whacked that on the head with a 20m sprint of 3.06 seconds. It’s not blistering pace but he’s not slow as some have suggested. Templeton ranked in the top 23% in agility, ran a 15.3 beep test, top 21% in repeat sprints and top 8% in the 3km time-trial. His endurance is a huge asset.

I mentioned that Templeton is a bit of a hybrid midfielder in that he can play both roles. He’s probably more suited to play the outside role due to his run but I think once he puts on a bit more weight he’ll be able to match it inside. He is no disgrace inside and he is quite a good clearance player. When he gets it in tight, he does dish out the quick hands quite well and I must admit sometimes his little moves do remind me of Dyson Heppell, but I’m trying not to get caught up with the hairstyle. The reason why I like him more on the outside is because of his ability to read the play and run both ways. I think he’s the ideal modern-day wingman because of this balance of attack and defence, plus he has outstanding endurance. I’m not comparing him to Brandon Ellis, but I think he’s quite capable of the role Ellis played for the Tigers this season at the next level. At the Champs he had an equal amount of rebound 50’s as he did inside 50’s (12). In terms of his defensive pressure, I think it could do with a little bit of improvement, but I don’t think it is a massive issue. He has shown he is a willing tackler, but sometimes he’s caught ball-watching.

Templeton normally runs at a very high efficiency rate, but I certainly don’t think his kicking is elite. He is very safe with ball in hand and doesn’t really take too many risks with it, which isn’t a bad thing. His kicking doesn’t necessarily have the penetration to break the lines but he instead creates plays with his continuous run and chain of passes.

I’m a really big fan of Templeton. I enjoy his dare and he’s quite a fun player to watch. The way he worked back after a disappointing season last year is a big tick in my book and I think he has a bright future if he keeps working that hard and puts on a bit of size.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
evertonfc wrote:Touted by many as a top 30 national draft pick.
Nah, he wasn't a top 30 national draft pick. You know how I can tell? Because I'm looking at the list of the first 30 picks in the national draft and he wasn't one of them.
TwoTowers wrote:Footy Tragic had Templeton as 15th best in the National Draft, well ahead of players such as Hartung and Cripps. Looks like another good acquisition.
Boom.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

BigFooty's Knightmare - arguably the most respected fan observer/poster - picked him at 34 in his Phantom Draft.

#34 – Eli Templeton (TAS – Util)

Height: 182cm
Weight: 67kg
DOB: 19/08/1995
Recruited from: Burnie Dockers
Style: James Kelly
Range: 25-late

Profile: Templeton is a high production, high motor midfielder with the versatility to also play forward or back. Has a very light body but despite this has a very advanced game and has dominated throughout his junior footy with his form in the u16s particularly dominant but then has also played plenty of senior footy in Tasmania showing he can mix it with the bigger bodies. Templeton is a very clean user of the footy and uses it well by hand and foot. A real accumulator and has the ability to do some damage with a penetrating kick on him as well as his ability to hit the scoreboard. Templeton can win some of his own ball but given his light frame likely finds a role as an outside player.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Another mid, woo....

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
TwoTowers wrote:Footy Tragic had Templeton as 15th best in the National Draft, well ahead of players such as Hartung and Cripps. Looks like another good acquisition.
Boom.
Not sure who Footy Tragic is or why they matter?

He was overlooked by every club multiple times before we picked him up in the Rookie Draft. That doesn't necessarily mean he won't be a good player, but it does mean that he's very unlikely to objectively be the 15th best player in the draft pool.

savatage
SS Life Member

There's also no way he is 67KG now.

markp
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Another mid, woo....
This one's Eli Te.

savatage
SS Life Member

bergholt wrote:
evertonfc wrote:
Boom.

He was overlooked by every club multiple times before we picked him up in the Rookie Draft. That doesn't necessarily mean he won't be a good player, but it does mean that he's very unlikely to objectively be the 15th best player in the draft pool.
Our recruiters rated him in the top 30 of the draft so that's good enough for me.

TwoTowers
Club Player

bergholt wrote:
evertonfc wrote:
Boom.

You are right but why the knock? Most phantom drafts and the national draft itself are not purely objective. They are influenced in a large way by club needs. Most clubs don't necessarily draft the next best player - they draft the type that they require. This years draft had around 20 very good midfielders and any one of them could end up the best player in 5 years time. Kristian Pisano from the Footy Tragic website made his listing on the best players regardless of needs and you can see from his summaries that he spends a lot of time following these guys and will quickly point out the deficiencies. At Champion Data Templeton was just outside our best 30 and we were expecting him to be taken in the National Draft. He is a good pick.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Based on the highlights package and the profile he should hopefully be able to jump onto the senior list in a year or 2 having honed his body and skills a bit at VFL level. The fact he's played seniors at Bernie should help him a bit.

Looks like a good get

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Every year seems to have a fashion..

This year it was big (height & mass) mids, and so Eli may well have slipped a bit because he is more your traditional mid, and is currently only the slight size. He wil have time to blossom and build up.

Weller too is capable of playing as a mid, and so in this draft we had quite markedly boosted our midfield stocks. This added to recent year pick ups of Ross, Newnes, Saunders and the like has seen our "next gen" midfield options blossom. Not all will make it, but we now have the basis to produce a future midfield to support Steven & Armo.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:There's also no way he is 67KG now.
One draft watcher said he'd "surely be about 75kg by now".

Good sign.

kp83
Club Player

bergholt wrote:
evertonfc wrote:
Boom.

Exactly...I don't get why some people only rate what SOME amateur observers think and completely disregard what ALL the professionals think.

Yes he may be a good player, but he is clearly not a top 15 prospect given he wasn't even picked at pick 100!

Anyway, hope he's a gun!!

Go Saints!!

savatage
SS Life Member

evertonfc wrote:
savatage wrote:There's also no way he is 67KG now.
One draft watcher said he'd "surely be about 75kg by now".

Good sign.
Sounds about right. Looks at least as big as Josh Kelly to me!

savatage
SS Life Member

kp83 wrote:
bergholt wrote:

Exactly...I don't get why some people only rate what SOME amateur observers think and completely disregard what ALL the professionals think.

Yes he may be a good player, but he is clearly not a top 15 prospect given he wasn't even picked at pick 100!

Go Saints!!
[/quote]

I hear what you're saying but using that logic players like Sam Fisher & Jack Steven shouldn't have made it as guns in the AFL either. A lot of good players slip through the cracks, it's all about development & I think a lot of Tasmanians seem to go under the radar for some reason.

Megamaguire
Club Player

Eli Templeton Joins St. Kilda!

Welcome to St.Kilda Eli.
All the very best with your future in the red, black & white!

A midfielder from Tasmania - could be another good get!

G O S A I N T S ! :)

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

TwoTowers wrote:You are right but why the knock? Most phantom drafts and the national draft itself are not purely objective. They are influenced in a large way by club needs. Most clubs don't necessarily draft the next best player - they draft the type that they require. This years draft had around 20 very good midfielders and any one of them could end up the best player in 5 years time. Kristian Pisano from the Footy Tragic website made his listing on the best players regardless of needs and you can see from his summaries that he spends a lot of time following these guys and will quickly point out the deficiencies. At Champion Data Templeton was just outside our best 30 and we were expecting him to be taken in the National Draft. He is a good pick.
I hope you're right!

My only point is that if we overrate players early then we don't give them enough time to actually succeed or fail on their own merits. Call it Stanley/Siposs Syndrome. A year ago Siposs was a star, this year people are saying he's on his last legs and outside the best 30 on the list. The truth is probably somewhere in between that.

I understand supporters getting excited, that's what we do. But isn't it easier on all of us if we keep the expectations realistic?

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:
kp83 wrote:
bergholt wrote:

Go Saints!!
I hear what you're saying but using that logic players like Sam Fisher & Jack Steven shouldn't have made it as guns in the AFL either. A lot of good players slip through the cracks, it's all about development & I think a lot of Tasmanians seem to go under the radar for some reason.
Well, he's technically about Pick #62, given only 59 players went in the national draft.

Every club has different needs and it's why some players get picked over others - and more acutely, why some clubs pass so early.

I reckon if we had a pick between 30 and 40, we'd have been every chance of taking Templeton.

There is zero guarantee he'll make it. His chances are probably no better than 25 per cent. I think the first bloke they should get him to speak to is Jarryn Geary - clearly a decent junior who needed time, and some luck, to get upgraded - not to mention get his body to AFL standard.

savatage
SS Life Member

evertonfc wrote:

I reckon if we had a pick between 30 and 40, we'd have been every chance of taking Templeton.
Yep.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

from inside football...

"eli is a different type of player. he spent a fair bit of time in the back half of the ground this year but he is a nice user o the balland a good decision maker. he is an elite athlete with his strong running ability and is more of an outside than inside player at the minute. he is still fairly light but will improve in that area in a full-time enviroment but has a great understanding of the game"

...draft range.....3rd round.....

average possessions ...tac cup.....24.5

u18 ...... .22.8...

dob....19/8/95

h...182cm......w.....75kg

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
kp83
Club Player

savatage wrote:
kp83 wrote:
bergholt wrote:

Go Saints!!
I agree with you, but I think you miss my point. I'm not saying he won't be any good because he is a very late pick.
I'm saying I find it odd that people can say what a great pick he is based on some amateur saying they rate him highly in their mock draft when objectively, he is rated much lower by the professionals.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

OMG.....what kind of name is Eli???

What the hell is going on down there??

We'll be a laughing stock if are we not already are...

Who are the muppets making these decisions???

They should have rookied Tom Ledger.

He showed a lot and Tom is a much manly more sounding name than Eli anyway...

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
savatage
SS Life Member

kp83 wrote: I agree with you, but I think you miss my point. I'm not saying he won't be any good because he is a very late pick.
I'm saying I find it odd that people can say what a great pick he is based on some amateur saying they rate him highly in their mock draft when objectively, he is rated much lower by the professionals.
No I got your point - however if our recruiters rated him as a potential pick in the 30s then I'm more inclined to go with them rather than what any amateur or professional says on social media.