shut up eddy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spert
Saintsational Legend

Re: shut up eddy

Personally I think the Colorado thing is a monumental waste of time, but as most of it seems to be paid for in our case by various sponsors, Virgin etc, I don't mind this time around. With my business hat on, I would want to see more than just a bonding outcome by sending a bunch of employees overseas- there has to be real and obvious benefits in many areas. I would like to see Eddie's comments if he was running our club, but really he has never done anything other than hugely suck up to those with power and position while he came up through the ranks while hanging off the "working class boy from Broadmeadows" ticket- the kind of crawler I wouldn't want to be associated with.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Whether he is right or wrong is beside the point. The bottom line is that what other clubs do for the their pre-season training should be none of his concern.

Mind your own beeswax, Eddie!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

Have a think about this Eddie
If the poorer clubs can get some advantage and play better and maybe win more games, then more people would turn up to games, thus more gate receipts for you

Before Im 85
maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Eddie is right about spending money on the trip overseas. Yes some of it is paid by winning some overseas trips but it will cost the club many dollars that could be spent on another coach or even just saving the money. How many sides that have been overseas in that year have won a flag? The pies and that maybe it and even they arent going this year.
No he's not, completely wrong.
He's not debating the merits of the trip, more about why we can spend the money.
Not right at all.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Eddie is right about spending money on the trip overseas. Yes some of it is paid by winning some overseas trips but it will cost the club many dollars that could be spent on another coach or even just saving the money. How many sides that have been overseas in that year have won a flag? The pies and that maybe it and even they arent going this year.
He's not debating the merits of the trip, more about why we can spend the money.
Not right at all.

And that is why he is right. Its a waste of money in our situation and also what he said is right, we will be proped up but we wont get the extra coach or a reserves side on their own

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

spert wrote:Personally I think the Colorado thing is a monumental waste of time, but as most of it seems to be paid for in our case by various sponsors, Virgin etc, I don't mind this time around. With my business hat on, I would want to see more than just a bonding outcome by sending a bunch of employees overseas- there has to be real and obvious benefits in many areas. I would like to see Eddie's comments if he was running our club, but really he has never done anything other than hugely suck up to those with power and position while he came up through the ranks while hanging off the "working class boy from Broadmeadows" ticket- the kind of crawler I wouldn't want to be associated with.
I reckon we get a bit of intellectual property share from the Broncos too, and not just while we are out there but throughout the year. What do they call it; sister club or something.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Is fat Ed president for life or will we wake up one day and find out he's quit or been voted out or the ultimate, been given the arse...

They've only won 2 flags since 1958, hardly the sign of a successful club onfield, where it counts most. :lol: :lol:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
maverick wrote:
Not right at all.

And that is why he is right. Its a waste of money in our situation and also what he said is right, we will be proped up but we wont get the extra coach or a reserves side on their own
No he's not right, we have yet to be propped up.
The trip has been paid for by other means, costing us next to nothing.
We only need to be propped up because of the unevenness of the draw and stadium deals.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
maverick wrote: No he's not, completely wrong.
Not right at all.

We only need to be propped up because of the unevenness of the draw and stadium deals.

Of course the trip is costing the club money. I reckon close to 200k. And even if sponsors were paying for it all then surely they would give the club money if we asked if we needed another coach. The draw and the stadium deals matters little when a side like us have never had 40k members even after 3 GF's. We are a bottome 4 club but even North made a million this year. We could lose a million.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Of course the trip is costing the club money. I reckon close to 200k. And even if sponsors were paying for it all then surely they would give the club money if we asked if we needed another coach. The draw and the stadium deals matters little when a side like us have never had 40k members even after 3 GF's. We are a bottome 4 club but even North made a million this year. We could lose a million.
We have no members because of the draw and the stadium.
Everyone at the G has double the members than teams at the dome (except melb)
dispute the 200k cost.
North didn't make a mill this year… before the AFL handout anyway….
We will probably lose 2 mill…
The Bombers will too…
Stadium and draw…
Give us the G and ANZAC day, home games against the bombers, pies and blues at the G and see how we go….

twirlyhair
Club Player

stinger wrote:you flog...mind your own business

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/p ... act.edu.au

"COLLINGWOOD president Eddie McGuire has lashed cash-strapped clubs for "blowing" money on overseas pre-season camps.

McGuire was speaking after the Magpies announced a $5.2 million profit for 2013, a sum the club has largely attributed to its 80,000-strong membership.

The Pies also revealed they had increased football department spending this year to $22.5 million.

He said some clubs had become complacent and that reliance on league funding could lead to "a cookie-cutter franchise for clubs run by a central organisation"
He is absolutely spot on. For what are dubious benefits at best, we should be shoring up our financial position, not jeopardising it further. It won happen next year, thats for sure.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
maverick wrote:

dispute the 200k cost.
The Bombers will too…
Stadium and draw…
Give us the G and ANZAC day, home games against the bombers, pies and blues at the G and see how we go….

We get pretty much the same handout as North and will lose a heap. I wouldnt call it a handout because we and a few other clubs deserve it. The 200k will be very close. Could be a little unders but Im happy to go with it. We had a fantastice draw in 2009 and 2010. plenty of Friday night games. No idea what the stadoium has to do with the number of members. Bombers got fined 2 million so I dont get that at all. If we had Anzac day next year at the G and played the WB we would get 50k max. Big deal. Our supporters wont even go to the G. Please tell me why who we play makes people join the club? I dont get that at all.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

dispute the 200k cost.
The Bombers will too…
Stadium and draw…

We get pretty much the same handout as North and will lose a heap. I wouldnt call it a handout because we and a few other clubs deserve it. The 200k will be very close. Could be a little unders but Im happy to go with it. We had a fantastice draw in 2009 and 2010. plenty of Friday night games. No idea what the stadoium has to do with the number of members. Bombers got fined 2 million so I dont get that at all. If we had Anzac day next year at the G and played the WB we would get 50k max. Big deal. Our supporters wont even go to the G. Please tell me why who we play makes people join the club? I dont get that at all.
Big games draw people, they also make more money, playing big clubs makes more money isn't that what we are talking?
Terrible draws in 09/10, didn't play 11 home games at the g
Still dispute the 200K number, simply not correct.
Check the north financials, you will find you are wrong.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Eddie can see that his clubs grip on perpetual unfair draws and wealth is slipping, he needs to start yapping about anything that may slow its decline.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

it is a rat club and the AFL is the pied piper.

noddy04
Club Player

dispute the 200k cost.
The Bombers will too…
Stadium and draw…
Give us the G and ANZAC day, home games against the bombers, pies and blues at the G and see how we go….[/quote]

My wife , my son and myself are all full members ......thats 3 and Jigging saint has said hes a member, and I know Saintbrat and Dools are members and im sure that eastern and BFTUSA would be a member. So would spelly and Damiens dad and Loris would be and Matrix and his wife are So thats 12 there So we do have some members Maverick

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
maverick wrote:

dispute the 200k cost.
The Bombers will too…
Stadium and draw…

Big games draw people, they also make more money, playing big clubs makes more money isn't that what we are talking?
Terrible draws in 09/10, didn't play 11 home games at the g
Still dispute the 200K number, simply not correct.
Check the north financials, you will find you are wrong.

If you can explain how who you play makes more members joing then i would be greatful. 5 or 6 Friday night games in 2009 and 10. 200k will be about right but like I said it could be a little more. We get terrible crowds at the G when we do play there. And yes playing big clubs does make more money. We have 32 K members and Richmond have 60k members. We never got 40k and the Tigers still have won a final for many years. North get fractionally more money than us off the AFL. No where near 2 or 3 million a year which maybe the gap this year and North didnt even get close to playing finals and dont have a good draw as you call it. They do have more members than us though. Anyway my point is our money would be better spent on improving the club throughout the year and not for about 6 weeks.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:We get terrible crowds at the G when we do play there.
Who do we play there as a home team? Melbourne, Richmond.
In 2009, as you like to bring up that example, we only played Melbourne at the 'G in round 22 as an away team. The game drew over 36,000 people...against the wooden spooner and a meaningless game. Our Qualifying and Prelim finals drew 84,000 (Collingwood) and 78,000 (Bulldogs). I know they're finals but it shows that we can draw good crowds for big games at the 'G.
In 2010 we played two H&A games at the 'G. One was a home game against Geelong on a cold and wet Friday night. We drew over 58,000. The other was against Collingwood on a Saturday afternoon. We drew over 81,000 (pity it was an away match).
The point is when we play big teams at the 'G we draw big crowds.
plugger66 wrote:And yes playing big clubs does make more money. We have 32 K members and Richmond have 60k members. We never got 40k and the Tigers still have won a final for many years.
plugger66 wrote:North get fractionally more money than us off the AFL. No where near 2 or 3 million a year which maybe the gap this year and North didnt even get close to playing finals and dont have a good draw as you call it. They do have more members than us though.
We averaged the same crowd numbers as North this year. So what does that tell you? They had a build up as a contender for the top 4. They were built up as a glamour side, yet only averaged 28,820. We averaged 28,840 (in 2009 it was 34,873 for the H&A and in 2010 it was 37,809). That is phenomenal given we went win-less for two long streaks. Ours will go up significantly once we start winning games
How long have North been receiving handouts? How long have we? Isn't this year the first time for us?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Plugger is right for once.

What would you prefer, a standalone ressies team at Moorabbin a year earlier or wanky USA training junkets ?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Plugger is right for once.

What would you prefer, a standalone ressies team at Moorabbin a year earlier or wanky USA training junkets ?
We're getting the VFL team anyway, the pre season trip isn't preventing that from happening.

I'm sure they will do the Colorado trip for a couple of years, then assess its value... I don't think it's costing the actual club much at all after corporate sponsors, benefactors and players chip in. I reckon the players have loved it btw, when they haven't had a lot of joy during the year.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:We get terrible crowds at the G when we do play there.
Who do we play there as a home team? Melbourne, Richmond.
In 2009, as you like to bring up that example, we only played Melbourne at the 'G in round 22 as an away team. The game drew over 36,000 people...against the wooden spooner and a meaningless game. Our Qualifying and Prelim finals drew 84,000 (Collingwood) and 78,000 (Bulldogs). I know they're finals but it shows that we can draw good crowds for big games at the 'G.
In 2010 we played two H&A games at the 'G. One was a home game against Geelong on a cold and wet Friday night. We drew over 58,000. The other was against Collingwood on a Saturday afternoon. We drew over 81,000 (pity it was an away match).
The point is when we play big teams at the 'G we draw big crowds.
plugger66 wrote:And yes playing big clubs does make more money. We have 32 K members and Richmond have 60k members. We never got 40k and the Tigers still have won a final for many years.
plugger66 wrote:North get fractionally more money than us off the AFL. No where near 2 or 3 million a year which maybe the gap this year and North didnt even get close to playing finals and dont have a good draw as you call it. They do have more members than us though.
We averaged the same crowd numbers as North this year. So what does that tell you? They had a build up as a contender for the top 4. They were built up as a glamour side, yet only averaged 28,820. We averaged 28,840 (in 2009 it was 34,873 for the H&A and in 2010 it was 37,809). That is phenomenal given we went win-less for two long streaks. Ours will go up significantly once we start winning games
How long have North been receiving handouts? How long have we? Isn't this year the first time for us?
Are we sure we have received a handout this year?
Don't confuse things with numbers LLS….
If we were a tenant of the G we would be financially secure, simple as that….

markp
Saintsational Legend

Re: Peter Gordon makes heaps more sense

Megamaguire wrote:Heard Peter Gordon (Bulldogs pres) on the KB show and he completely blew Eddie's footy world-view and more importantly the afl world-view out of the water.
Peter Gordon is one of the smartest and most articulate people in football.

lloyd21
Club Player

markp wrote:
Megamaguire wrote:Heard Peter Gordon (Bulldogs pres) on the KB show and he completely blew Eddie's footy world-view and more importantly the afl world-view out of the water.

8-) Footy is an opinion business but comments mentioned above saying " stadium deals don't matter " are clueless in the extreme.
Stadium crowds Avg return significantly better

West Coast 40,000 lets use them as example they get 70% return from Ground receipts alone without even the " mines " sponsorship

This a fact is in their annual report.

Saints North Bulldogs have been screwed for a long time ,every extra $ coming thru "catering " at Etihad goes to" Essendon"

Hence why the Peter Gordon's viewpoint should be listened to :D

maverick
Saintsational Legend

lloyd21 wrote:
markp wrote:

8-) Footy is an opinion business but comments mentioned above saying " stadium deals don't matter " are clueless in the extreme.
Stadium crowds Avg return significantly better

West Coast 40,000 lets use them as example they get 70% return from Ground receipts alone without even the " mines " sponsorship

This a fact is in their annual report.

Saints North Bulldogs have been screwed for a long time ,every extra $ coming thru "catering " at Etihad goes to" Essendon"

Hence why the Peter Gordon's viewpoint should be listened to :D
Yep

stinger
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:Is fat Ed president for life or will we wake up one day and find out he's quit or been voted out or the ultimate, been given the arse...

They've only won 2 flags since 1958, hardly the sign of a successful club onfield, where it counts most. :lol: :lol:
i liked it a whole lot better when they had won none since 1958.... :cry:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.