Thanks you Nick and Leigh

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Thanks you Nick and Leigh

Joey had a very good year this year.

With his build one could envisage him to be playing for many more years yet.

While we have stocked up on a good pool of young mids, we are still a fair bit off having enough depth and quality amongst the midfield group.

Having lost Dal, losing Joey as well may have been a bridge too far.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
felix
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:It does sound like things were toxic with Watters at the helm and that the club was heading for oblivion if he wasn't quickly removed however Dermott Brereton reckons we stuffed up and are a joke and will never win another flag and he was a very good footballer so he must be respected because he knows a lot more about football than any of us do or for that matter ever will.

He is a Dermigod !

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

But I was assured on here both these players were disgruntled and demanded to leave.

Surely they wouldn't have extended if they were so disgruntled.

So not only did we have Longer, Bruce, Delaney, and Weller declaring our club as choice No.1 to be traded to, we have the two "disgruntled" Saints superstars signing to play out there careers at the Saints.

Place obviously unstable and in disarray.

Or maybe because Joey and Roo run the club they gave themselves contract extensions.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Richter
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:But I was assured on here both these players were disgruntled and demanded to leave.

Surely they wouldn't have extended if they were so disgruntled.

So not only did we have Longer, Bruce, Delaney, and Weller declaring our club as choice No.1 to be traded to, we have the two "disgruntled" Saints superstars signing to play out there careers at the Saints.

Place obviously unstable and in disarray.

Or maybe because Joey and Roo run the club they gave themselves contract extensions.
It seems pretty likely that if Watters had stayed we would not have been reading this news today.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

joffaboy wrote: Or maybe because Joey and Roo run the club they gave themselves contract extensions.
Think you've got it in one right there. They'll play until they're 40 and use up half the salaray cap.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Good news. Pleased to see these guys committed to playing out their careers with us as we rebuild.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:I find that very strange... They didn't want to give Montagna any more than a 2 year deal 18 months ago... And now he is 30 the are effectively giving him a 3 year deal?
Makes perfect sense if you think about it. Eighteen months ago we had a massive group of senior players nearing the end of their careers. We knew we'd need some for leadership but not all of them, and it wasn't clear which ones would still be available and in form. So we couldn't sign any of them to long-term deals.

But since then, we've lost BJ, Dal, Gram, Kosi, JB and Milney. So now it's pretty obvious that the current oldest 7 (Lenny, Chips, Roo, Joey, Dempster, CJ and Schneids) can hang around as long as they're playing well. Given Joey's season this year, it's reasonable to assume that he's got at least another couple of good years up his sleeve. So now it makes a lot of sense to stick him on a "leadership" deal for a few more years.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
dragit wrote:I find that very strange... They didn't want to give Montagna any more than a 2 year deal 18 months ago... And now he is 30 the are effectively giving him a 3 year deal?
Makes perfect sense if you think about it. Eighteen months ago we had a massive group of senior players nearing the end of their careers. We knew we'd need some for leadership but not all of them, and it wasn't clear which ones would still be available and in form. So we couldn't sign any of them to long-term deals.

But since then, we've lost BJ, Dal, Gram, Kosi, JB and Milney. So now it's pretty obvious that the current oldest 7 (Lenny, Chips, Roo, Joey, Dempster, CJ and Schneids) can hang around as long as they're playing well. Given Joey's season this year, it's reasonable to assume that he's got at least another couple of good years up his sleeve. So now it makes a lot of sense to stick him on a "leadership" deal for a few more years.
Yes except the club were adamant that anyone over 30 would be on 1 year deals only... Maybe they've had a rethink with free agency compensation likely to end soon.
Maybe the players said "give us a reasonable deal or we will find someone that will"

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Joey is our 'poor mans' Boomer.... He will easily do three more years imo

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Joey is our 'poor mans' Boomer.... He will easily do three more years imo

Lovely compliment.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
bergholt wrote:Makes perfect sense if you think about it. Eighteen months ago we had a massive group of senior players nearing the end of their careers. We knew we'd need some for leadership but not all of them, and it wasn't clear which ones would still be available and in form. So we couldn't sign any of them to long-term deals.

Yes except the club were adamant that anyone over 30 would be on 1 year deals only... Maybe they've had a rethink with free agency compensation likely to end soon.
Yeah, I don't remember that specifically but I'd like to think the strategy can change when conditions on the ground become more clear.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Regardless of how or why this has come about, I fail to understand how any Saints supporter could view this as anything other than great news :?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Joey will be 32 when he finishes up. Not too bad. Seems reasonable to me given they finished 2-3 in the B & F.

Not sure why the heading is 'thank you' though.

Its a good deal for them as well I'm sure.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:Regardless of how or why this has come about, I fail to understand how any Saints supporter could view this as anything other than great news :?
Don't get me wrong, I'm rapt… was just interested as I know they were giving Leigh a hard time about wanting more than a one year deal last time they were negotiating. In the end they relented and gave him a 2 year deal, but only after an excruciating, teeth pulling exercise.

2 guys who have earnt a long term contract IMO, through many years of consistent performance.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:Joey will be 32 when he finishes up. Not too bad. Seems reasonable to me given they finished 2-3 in the B & F.

Not sure why the heading is 'thank you' though.

Its a good deal for them as well I'm sure.
What an age we live in.

We thank players for sticking with us and earning hundred's of thousands of dollars.

Oh and Joey has made a career as an outside runner, not bad for going missing in big games.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:thank a lot youse guys for signing on. Make me feel proud to be a Sainters!
Who said we have no high profile supporters.
Jeff Fenech please step forward. :oops:

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Leigh on radio sometime this morning, SEN

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Nick on 3AW soon- after 6 pm 3/2/13

didn't post a link because it's not working..

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
stinger
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Joey is our 'poor mans' Boomer.... He will easily do three more years imo
and here's me thinking that boomer was the roos' poor man's joey..... :wink:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
fingers
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:Regardless of how or why this has come about, I fail to understand how any Saints supporter could view this as anything other than great news :?

Agree. Amazing we will always find some crappy side to any story.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

No disrespect being compared to (albeit behind) Boomer

Boomer is an out and out champion.... Elite

With R.Harvey, Buckley, Black, Voss, Crawford, Cousins, Riccutio, Kerr, Hayes..... He is in the best of the best category

Joey is a gun.... But not on the same level.... But a similar player

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

dragit wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I'm rapt… was just interested as I know they were giving Leigh a hard time about wanting more than a one year deal last time they were negotiating. In the end they relented and gave him a 2 year deal, but only after an excruciating, teeth pulling exercise.

2 guys who have earnt a long term contract IMO, through many years of consistent performance.
I think free agency has got a lot to do with it. Many clubs were only offering senior players one year deals. Now, though, if the player gets offered two or three years somewhere else you risk losing them.
Personally I don't think we need to worry about Joey getting through three more years.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:No disrespect being compared to (albeit behind) Boomer

Boomer is an out and out champion.... Elite

With R.Harvey, Buckley, Black, Voss, Crawford, Cousins, Riccutio, Kerr, Hayes..... He is in the best of the best category

Joey is a gun.... But not on the same level.... But a similar player
Rubbish…
Considering Leigh was a pretty slow starter, he leads Harvey in every area except for goals…

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

The multiple B&F's, premiership, 360 odd games, Captaincy, EJ Whitten....

If you made that statement anywhere else other than SS you'd be laughed at..... Boomer played 5 years in the 90s before the possession game and keeping off became the norm.... And he was a small forward for the early part of his career...

dragit
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:The multiple B&F's, premiership, 360 odd games, Captaincy, EJ Whitten....

If you made that statement anywhere else other than SS you'd be laughed at..... Boomer played 5 years in the 90s before the possession game and keeping off became the norm.... And he was a small forward for the early part of his career...
Laughed at?, no that's what your mates do to you apparently.

Harvey is very good player, like Leigh… they have similar figures and accolades. Harvey has been the best player in a team that has been pathetic for a decade… hence the B&F's and captaincy… Montagna's career has been overshadowed by playing with some of the greats of our history.

EJ Whitten - spare me FFS.

You reckon Montagna was playing in the centre square in his first few years?

I have never seen a bigger sook than Harvey, absolutely obliterated by Dempster & Jones numerous times, so resorted to whacking people… singling out team mates in press conferences, dobbing in Crowley pinching . The guy can play footy, but he is a dog and not in the ball park of Robert Harvey or Voss.