Jimmy and John and 'that' day...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Viking3
Club Player

Re: Jimmy and John and 'that' day...

BigMart wrote:Realists trying to justify or defend someone just because they were a saints player and Greening was a Collingwood player

Bias that can't be overcome in the 'realistic' argument...

Firstly those who can't accept what happened... And try to come up with unlikely alternatives... Which the tribunal obviously dismissed

Secondly those who don't understand the motives of a king hit .... To incapacitate...

Thirdly those who bring in other unrelated incidents in some desperate attempt to justify or defend what occurred...

Do you know why this thread is disliked by people.... It uncovers scars better forgotten... Because deep down we know it was a black day! And we probably don't want to face it believe it?! .... ODea has to live with the fact he is remembered for it... And because he hasn't come out and taken some sort of responsibility to appease player, club and fans... He gets no sympathy..
Fact is... He did it!!!

Joffa... You said 'stuff him'

To me that suggests he doesn't deserve sympathy... So in essence you think it's ok?
Your word... Why shy away from them

Looks st stk if you can and try common sense or realty?!
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Give me one flag & I'll go to my grave a happy man.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Joffa

Again you're using other incidents to justify your comments.... Do those incidents (right or wrong) have any bearing on the the moral actions and consequences of hat one incident...

I would say they are besides the point?!

And you are advocating it, by dismissing it as too bad... Stuff him

On your examples

Cowboys tactics... Poor.... Outside the rules to win... Didn't work

Balme.... Really poor... Round house from behind!

Kosi... Head clash from a Shephard? Not sure the connection.... Wasn't even a free kick?

Baldock.... Who actually king hit him and knocked him out behind the play?

Other examples
Matthews .... Shocking, equivalent to O,Dea
Hall on Staker.... Poor act, he paid dearly for it at Sydney.... He apologised to Staker and admitted he had an issue...
Lockett on Caven... Elbow... Poor, was at least in a contest.... But very dangerous act
Lockett on McKenna.... Not as bad, slinger him and made contact in the process
Baker on a farmer .... Behind the play, checked and head clash... Woeful suspension
Banks on Rhys Jones.... Hit from behind square up?... In play, but very ordinary
Clarkson on Gleeson? .... Similar, from behind.

Ther has been plenty, less now...

But the ones from behind, of violent force, off the ball... Are the most cowardly and vicious... Need to be condemned IMO
Not justified in anyway

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Stuff Greening the inbred

And stuff all other inbred arrogant Tasmanians who accuse me of advocating violence.

You sanctimonious judgemental nobody.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:
Other examples
Hall on Staker.... Poor act, he paid dearly for it at Sydney.... He apologised to Staker and admitted he had an issue...
Lockett on Caven... Elbow... Poor, was at least in a contest.... But very dangerous act
Baker on a farmer .... Behind the play, checked and head clash... Woeful suspension
Banks on Rhys Jones.... Hit from behind square up?... In play, but very ordinary
You said earlier that similar incidents generally involved a thug trying to take out a star player. I can't quite see it in these examples.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

this is w/o a doubt the strangest thread I think I've ever read on this forum

Actually reading what people are posting, you have to wonder how many people are basing their posts on the topic as opposed to the personalities involved. Some of these posts are really just bizarre.

Especially when the topic itself actually seems relatively straight forward

stinger
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Joffa

Again you're using other incidents to justify your comments.... Do those incidents (right or wrong) have any bearing on the the moral actions and consequences of hat one incident...

On your examples

Kosi... Head clash from a Shephard? Not sure the connection.... Wasn't even a free kick?

Other examples

But the ones from behind, of violent force, off the ball... Are the most cowardly and vicious... Need to be condemned IMO
Not justified in anyway

plugger getting rubbed out for the mckenna incident wa a travesty of justice....plugger had the ball....mckenna tackled him...got knocked out....bad luck.... :twisted: :twisted:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:this is w/o a doubt the strangest thread I think I've ever read on this forum

Actually reading what people are posting, you have to wonder how many people are basing their posts on the topic as opposed to the personalities involved. Some of these posts are really just bizarre.

Especially when the topic itself actually seems relatively straight forward

Maybe you should read what has been said. Do you know that O'Dea wanted to knock greening? Do you know it was a king hit? Do you know as much as BM because most here dont? I reckon most people arent sticking up for O"Dea but also most people dont have a clu what happened accept one peron. I gather you agree with what he said which is strange. He wasnt even born.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:

On your examples

Other examples

Not justified in anyway

plugger getting rubbed out for the mckenna incident wa a travesty of justice....plugger had the ball....mckenna tackled him...got knocked out....bad luck.... :twisted: :twisted:
Sorry but thats Bullshite - he didnt knock him out at all - It was heard that McKenna was told to stay down after Plugger threw his arm back - McKenna may have been stretchered off but was absolutely fine and played the following week - I remember being furious at the time - Plugger got 4 weeks and 3 of those games we lost by 8pts, 18pts (v eventual premiers Hawks) and 8pts- at the time of his suspension we were a game out of the top 5

McKenna knew exactly what he was doing by staying down and Plugger as stupid as he was throwing back his arm copped a harsh suspension all thanks to McKenna faking his concussion - payback I guess for Lockett kicking 12.3 that day

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Royston
Club Player

Vaguely remember McKenna being 'knocked out', but when his head hit the ground.
He jumped on pluggers back with plugger then throwing his arm back to get him off.
Plugger was on fire at the time - lost momentum (fitness) on his 4 week holiday!

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Yes, the plugger suspension was over the top....

Bakers was worse... On two occasions... Baker was a marked man, and basically had his career finished on purpose....

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Yep, the McKenna one was shite and I've always had the opinion that Caven simply got in Pluggers way in that other one. He chose to do it and copped the consequences. It looked ugly as Plugger raised his arm to brace.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Not so sure he raised his arm to protect... He did it to infilct some damage IMO....

You turn sideways to protect yourself... Not so much point your elbow...

stevie
Saintsational Legend

I just watched the Plugger/Caven one. Caven gets in the middle of a Plugger lead. At full pace, Plugger sees Caven will get the ball and that there will be impact. He turns his body to avoid a lethal shirtfront but gets him high with his arms.

Didn't deserve 8 weeks. Wasn't the act of a thug. Is less 'dirtier' than Wellinghams hit on Simpson last year or any of Gouger f****** Judd's efforts.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote:I just watched the Plugger/Caven one. Caven gets in the middle of a Plugger lead. At full pace, Plugger sees Caven will get the ball and that there will be impact. He turns his body to avoid a lethal shirtfront but gets him high with his arms.

Didn't deserve 8 weeks. Wasn't the act of a thug. Is less 'dirtier' than Wellinghams hit on Simpson last year or any of Gouger f****** Judd's efforts.

Cant agree. Thought that at the time but it was a pretty ordinary effort and deserved what he got.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Plugger hit him with the point of his elbow?

If he just cleaned him up, probably a 50m or a charging report? But not a striking report. It was an obvious 8 weaker IMO... Caven missed 10 I think?

It was not a shirtfront at all...

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: Maybe you should read what has been said. Do you know that O'Dea wanted to knock greening? Do you know it was a king hit? Do you know as much as BM because most here dont? I reckon most people arent sticking up for O"Dea but also most people dont have a clu what happened accept one peron. I gather you agree with what he said which is strange. He wasnt even born.

Interesting assumptions plugger

lol a point in case regarding responding to reputations if I ever I saw one

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
plugger66 wrote: Maybe you should read what has been said. Do you know that O'Dea wanted to knock greening? Do you know it was a king hit? Do you know as much as BM because most here dont? I reckon most people arent sticking up for O"Dea but also most people dont have a clu what happened accept one peron. I gather you agree with what he said which is strange. He wasnt even born.

Im not assuming anything? Im asking questions and the only thing I stated apart from questions comes from reading the thread. Your love for anything BM posts clouds your judgment of what has actually been said on this thread.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I was there with my late Dad on that day and saw the incident. Best left in the past, but putting it mildly, there was no need for any contact at the time.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
stinger wrote:

On your examples

Other examples

Not justified in anyway

Sorry but thats Bullshite - he didnt knock him out at all - It was heard that McKenna was told to stay down after Plugger threw his arm back - McKenna may have been stretchered off but was absolutely fine and played the following week - I remember being furious at the time - Plugger got 4 weeks and 3 of those games we lost by 8pts, 18pts (v eventual premiers Hawks) and 8pts- at the time of his suspension we were a game out of the top 5

McKenna knew exactly what he was doing by staying down and Plugger as stupid as he was throwing back his arm copped a harsh suspension all thanks to McKenna faking his concussion - payback I guess for Lockett kicking 12.3 that day
so me saying it was a travety of justice is bulls*** is it.?????..you seem to be agreeing with me..... :roll:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Royston wrote:Vaguely remember McKenna being 'knocked out', but when his head hit the ground.
He jumped on pluggers back with plugger then throwing his arm back to get him off.
Plugger was on fire at the time - lost momentum (fitness) on his 4 week holiday!

correct

stinger
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote:I just watched the Plugger/Caven one. Caven gets in the middle of a Plugger lead. At full pace, Plugger sees Caven will get the ball and that there will be impact. He turns his body to avoid a lethal shirtfront but gets him high with his arms.

correct again.......i was less than 15 yards away....looked okay at the time although i thought he had killed him...even the umps told plugger it was a fair bump...wasn't until i saw the replay at half time that i thought plugger might be in trouble......the hysteria whipped up by pricks like sheahan and barrassi got him a longer sentence than he deserved.....

stinger
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Plugger hit him with the point of his elbow?

If he just cleaned him up, probably a 50m or a charging report? But not a striking report. It was an obvious 8 weaker IMO... Caven missed 10 I think?

It was not a shirtfront at all...
no it was going to be a shirtfront until plugger turhed and slightly became airborn...hit him with his upper arm...if it had been the point of his elbow at the speed bot were trvelling , it would have killed killed him.....craven had more courage than sense or footballing ability.......

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:

Followed up with...
plugger66 wrote: Im not assuming anything? Im asking questions and the only thing I stated apart from questions comes from reading the thread. Your love for anything BM posts clouds your judgment of what has actually been said on this thread.

um yeah

stevie
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:

correct again.......i was less than 15 yards away....looked okay at the time although i thought he had killed him...even the umps told plugger it was a fair bump...wasn't until i saw the replay at half time that i thought plugger might be in trouble......the hysteria whipped up by pricks like sheahan and barrassi got him a longer sentence than he deserved.....

Thank you stinger

Caven reminded me of a kid chasing a ball onto a road. Into the path of a truck. He chose to do it - and I'm not knocking his bravery at all - but he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

It is a little bit like the incident where the filth player, was it Toovey? Two years back ran recklessly back with the flight into the path of Hawkin's knee and got himself knocked out. Only diff was the knee and Pluggers arm. Part of the game, no malice

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
skeptic wrote:

Followed up with...
plugger66 wrote: Im not assuming anything? Im asking questions and the only thing I stated apart from questions comes from reading the thread. Your love for anything BM posts clouds your judgment of what has actually been said on this thread.

um yeah

Thats not an assumption because i read what you posted. Anyone who saw what you posted would come to that conclusion. Strange that the only assumption you pointed out was after the post about me assumimg. I assume you couldnt fing one in the any other post.

This maybe an assumption though.

Maybe people are saying that BM hasnt seem the incident and is just assuming O'Dea wanted to knock him out and is just assuming it was a king hit. Now they are true assumptions. I suggest if you are going to call people on assuming things when they were actually just questions then you should also accuse the person who seems to be making the biggest assumptions of all.