Open training at the Junction Oval!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Re: Open training at the Junction Oval!

hang on a minute
werent plans already put in and accepted to extend seaford?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:Does everyone realize that Melbourne used the Junction Oval for their training base for years. How did that go for them? And if id didn't help them, how is it going to help us one iota?

And Fitzroy before them.

One off promotions are great but building a new facility at Frankston would make more sense than going back to 1965.

The club should really embed itself in the Mornington Peninsula and own that whole southern area.

How have we already out grown Seaford in 3 years. Admin?
It's a disgrace that Seaford was built at all. It was built on an inadequate budget and that's why it's too small already.

When you have the likes of Archie Fraser and Nettlefold in charge it makes sense.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
spert
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:Does everyone realize that Melbourne used the Junction Oval for their training base for years. How did that go for them? And if id didn't help them, how is it going to help us one iota?

And Fitzroy before them.

One off promotions are great but building a new facility at Frankston would make more sense than going back to 1965.

The club should really embed itself in the Mornington Peninsula and own that whole southern area.

I think the main argument about basing at the Junction, is marketing the club and generating money and growth through that marketing- I would hate to try and market the club to higher profile sponsors etc from a base in the back blocks of Seaford.

philtee
Club Player

Brilliant PR move by the Club. Connects with the Club's entire history, opens the publicity angles of yesterday vs today,
perfect fodder for press photos, interviews with old-timers, old players who remember the era, etc.
Wikipedia says "St Kilda's final home game for premiership points at the Junction Oval was the Round 18 match on 22 August 1964
against Geelong, which St Kilda won 12.18 (90) to 11.12 (78) in front of a crowd of 37,100".
I'd be getting Saints players from the 1964 side down there for PR shots and interviews.
As Sir Les Patterson once said, it's great going back to your old roots.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

spert wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
And Fitzroy before them.

I think the main argument about basing at the Junction, is marketing the club and generating money and growth through that marketing- I would hate to try and market the club to higher profile sponsors etc from a base in the back blocks of Seaford.
Exactly Spert. :D :idea:

And don't forget all the people who come into the area... such opportunity to finally link into our cool and our suburb's cool. 8-)

Pav and Jack: Of course the poor old Royboys and the joke Dreamons failed in St Kilda. As I would have hoped they damn well would have! :evil: The area is St Kilda, and they are not St Kilda.

Pav and Jack and Pluggs: Once again, we're not just talking training. We are talking training, admin', social club and playing at our Junction Oval. Returning to and becoming more fully a part of our home.

It's called creating a sense of connection, of purpose, of identity... of meaning. :idea:

The grooviest club based and playing outta' the grooviest suburb... a marketer's dream! 8-)

We could and should become the league's biggest and best known club... both domestically and abroad. :D :idea:

And personally, I don't see how that stops us from further developing links with the whole bayside and Peninsula(?) That area was the heartland of our support when we played out of the Junction. :idea:

$100mil Pluggs? What inflation rate projections are you using? :? I seem to recall you posting $30 mil, then $50 mil(?) But regardless, it doesn't all have to happen overnight... even if the Hillbillies did so much in less than a decade... and starting with a $6.5mil debt. :idea:
$850,000 profit per game (average crowd only 26,000) isn't a bad figure, and they are offering your mates at the Poodles $750,000 per home game... should help pay for something...?

(Or if we don't do something like this to match these opponents, can you tell us how we can continue to compete... without moving to Kiwiland...? :( :idea: )

And once again, we don't need to build another MCG. The AFL plays/ed at small capacity grounds like Lonny, Carrara, the WACA, Manuka, Darwin, Cairns, Adelaide Oval, Wogan Wilderness. Ok, OH&S would clearly say no, but hey, the Community Cup saw 26,000 plus squeeze into the Junction just a few years back.

Do it Saintas!

PS: Pluggs, I'll take the Walt reference to be 'as in' Disney. Pretty happy with that (from a results POV at least)...
Disney parks' profit soars 73% in latest quarter
May 7, 2013|By Jason Garcia, Orlando Sentinel

Profits soared across the Walt Disney Co.'s vacation empire during the first three months the year, surging 73 percent on the strength of new cruise ships and theme-park attractions worldwide.

The booming parks business helped lift Disney to 32 percent profit growth during its fiscal second quarter. The company said Tuesday it turned an overall profit of $1.5 billion for the period, up from $1.1 billion a year ago. Revenue rose 10 percent to nearly $10.6 billion.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/201 ... sney-parks

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I went past Goschs paddock and watched the dees train and later that day saw the Pies at the park next to olympic park. It is amazing that people can be close to the city watching players train. All the st kilda park primary student will be watching and connecting with the club as they see real footy players next to them. We should invite down backpackers and have merch stalls. It will be huge for us. I hope they don't get a poor showing and shut it down after one try at it. Marketing takes time and community connection takes time.

onlooker2
Club Player

A couple of comments about Fitzroy's and the Demons occupancy of the Junction oval.

In financial terms Fitzroy got screwed over by St K Cricket Club to make their long term occupancy of the ground just impossible. The same thing happened earlier to StK Football Club which resulted in the Saints leaving the ground, trying to get to Elsternwick Park and ending up at Linton St when the M'bin VFA Club folded.

The Dee's were a different story using Juction Oval as their training base. They left because of the never ending clashes it had with Cricket Vic over who had prime call on the ground. The ground was Vic Crickets No 2 venue behind the MCG and if you can imagine the Demons trying to put in a decent pre season program and cricket also wanting the ground for wicket preparation and summer game fixtures, Vic cricket had the call. The Demons left I believe because of the frustration with this arrangement.

The big difference now is it looks like the Junction Oval is finished as a main cricket venue.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
spert wrote:
SaintPav wrote: And Fitzroy before them.

Exactly Spert. :D :idea:

And don't forget all the people who come into the area... such opportunity to finally link into our cool and our suburb's cool. 8-)

Pav and Jack: Of course the poor old Royboys and the joke Dreamons failed in St Kilda. As I would have hoped they damn well would have! :evil: The area is St Kilda, and they are not St Kilda.

Pav and Jack and Pluggs: Once again, we're not just talking training. We are talking training, admin', social club and playing at our Junction Oval. Returning to and becoming more fully a part of our home.

It's called creating a sense of connection, of purpose, of identity... of meaning. :idea:

The grooviest club based and playing outta' the grooviest suburb... a marketer's dream! 8-)

We could and should become the league's biggest and best known club... both domestically and abroad. :D :idea:

And personally, I don't see how that stops us from further developing links with the whole bayside and Peninsula(?) That area was the heartland of our support when we played out of the Junction. :idea:

$100mil Pluggs? What inflation rate projections are you using? :? I seem to recall you posting $30 mil, then $50 mil(?) But regardless, it doesn't all have to happen overnight... even if the Hillbillies did so much in less than a decade... and starting with a $6.5mil debt. :idea:
$850,000 profit per game (average crowd only 26,000) isn't a bad figure, and they are offering your mates at the Poodles $750,000 per home game... should help pay for something...?

(Or if we don't do something like this to match these opponents, can you tell us how we can continue to compete... without moving to Kiwiland...? :( :idea: )

And once again, we don't need to build another MCG. The AFL plays/ed at small capacity grounds like Lonny, Carrara, the WACA, Manuka, Darwin, Cairns, Adelaide Oval, Wogan Wilderness. Ok, OH&S would clearly say no, but hey, the Community Cup saw 26,000 plus squeeze into the Junction just a few years back.

Do it Saintas!

PS: Pluggs, I'll take the Walt reference to be 'as in' Disney. Pretty happy with that (from a results POV at least)...
Disney parks' profit soars 73% in latest quarter
May 7, 2013|By Jason Garcia, Orlando Sentinel

Profits soared across the Walt Disney Co.'s vacation empire during the first three months the year, surging 73 percent on the strength of new cruise ships and theme-park attractions worldwide.

The booming parks business helped lift Disney to 32 percent profit growth during its fiscal second quarter. The company said Tuesday it turned an overall profit of $1.5 billion for the period, up from $1.1 billion a year ago. Revenue rose 10 percent to nearly $10.6 billion.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/201 ... sney-parks

I dont care what i posted previously, it would be at least 100 million. Its fantasyland stuff Walt. The ground would never get approval. CV are struggling for approval. Its one training session, well one kick to kick on a Monday night before the season. And con explain how they could build something there that could hold more than 10K people. That would be just great. have games where our fans cant get into. By the way can you tell me all the teams that play in their suburb. There is never going to be more than 2 grounds in melbourne. Not ever. Who the hell are the poodles Walt? Surely you having a lend suggesting games at the Junction? Please.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:

And Fitzroy before them.

Fitzroy made the finals the last two years they played at the junction.

I doubt that Melbourne and Fitzroy's problems were caused by playing or training at the junction. But neither team had any historical or geographical link to the Junction so they would not get the same benefits that the Saints would.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Corporate sponsorships would go berserk if we moved to the Junction.
And every player in the country would want to play for us.
Might happen in 30 years.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Home at last - and no further correspondence can be entered into.

Seeya
BakesFan
SS Life Member

I've gotta move back to Vic!

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
mcadam05
Club Player

and we can all sing this!

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

And now the video. 1:30 and 3:15

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
gringo
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:And now the video. 1:30 and 3:15

About time port phillip council spent some money on something to promote us. They are always making traders pay and give nothing back. I know a few of those folks.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:And now the video. 1:30 and 3:15

not bad.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Love it! :D

Gotta' get back home Saintas! Simply no way the vanilla teams can compete with that!

PS: 2:15 in, is that BF junior? 8-)

Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
70s sainter
Club Player

Doesn't that video prove that we don't need to be based in stkilda to be involved and " own" the Bay Area ?

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

70s sainter wrote:Doesn't that video prove that we don't need to be based in stkilda to be involved and " own" the Bay Area ?
True call 70s. You are correct. However, I would argue that if we are based and playing there, we can become fully involved.

Just looking at the ad... the suburb, our suburb ( :idea: ), is just sooooooo cool, funky, happening... and marketable. 8-)

None of the vanilla clubs have that potential to tap into. We.can.be.great!!!

avid
Club Player

Hear Hear.

Iconic name | Iconic place | Iconic club

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

That was uplifting and apart from the lads at the Junction Oval, I spotted the our sponsor from Monarch Cakes as well as Mirka Mora.