good article

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

good article

appears he's the only one to pick up on this though....

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... zqssa.html

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Re: good article

I'm amazed it took so long to write. Being on the second Foxtel channel on Saturday night meant we were all but invisible to much of the footy public. I kept waiting for someone in the mainstream media to write or say something - even Monday night's footy shows were strangely silent.

On the flip side, I don't mind the mainstream media beating themselves into a frenzy over the underwhelming state of Carlton or Richmond ... makes a nice change from us, and I guess if we slip under the radar because of it (and can get odds like that on the Adelaide game), who cares?!

Connolly's statistical comparison between last and this year is really interesting. Hopefully we are tracking on the same line after a few more rounds.

Always loyal
stinger
Saintsational Legend

SemperFidelis wrote:I'm amazed it took so long to write. Being on the second Foxtel channel on Saturday night meant we were all but invisible to much of the footy public. I kept waiting for someone in the mainstream media to write or say something - even Monday night's footy shows were strangely silent.

On the flip side, I don't mind the mainstream media beating themselves into a frenzy over the underwhelming state of Carlton or Richmond ... makes a nice change from us, and I guess if we slip under the radar because of it (and can get odds like that on the Adelaide game), who cares?!

Connolly's statistical comparison between last and this year is really interesting. Hopefully we are tracking on the same line after a few more rounds.
yep....i was getting more pissed as the week went on....3 X 360's....foot classified...on the couch....not a mention of the saints....only real sort of mention...without naming the saints...was that the crows could expect their first win as they had four very winnable games coming up.....

think rohan's back on my good side.... :wink:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

If we keep it up we will win more than my wish of 6 games.

However, I believe Roh has gone a bit early and it is a very very long season.....

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
SemperFidelis wrote:I'm amazed it took so long to write. Being on the second Foxtel channel on Saturday night meant we were all but invisible to much of the footy public. I kept waiting for someone in the mainstream media to write or say something - even Monday night's footy shows were strangely silent.

yep....i was getting more pissed as the week went on....3 X 360's....foot classified...on the couch....not a mention of the saints....only real sort of mention...without naming the saints...was that the crows could expect their first win as they had four very winnable games coming up.....

think rohan's back on my good side.... :wink:
Who cares what they say.

It is just noise and completely irrelevant to what is happening.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Reckon we can win 6 of first ten and maybe only 2 of next twelve - three tops. But still, if you told me that we could win 8-9 games this year despite only playing the other three of the bottom four teams once (tell me how that is possible?!?) I would gladly take it.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:However, I believe Roh has gone a bit early and it is a very very long season.....
Definitely. Very hard to get statistical significance from three games. Especially when two out of those three games were against pretty poor sides.

But yeah, we do look better than I hoped so far.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I want to win and build a winning culture but I must say...... I do value another shot high in the draft .... I'm not advocating tanking but I see little point finishing mid table and possibly missing out on a key forward that we could build around aka Roo

Our race is long it's clear we are using high draft picks to rejuvenate - I believe we have brought in some class what I'd love to get is another top 5 pick or 2 over the next 2 years to give us the best chance of grabbing A graders .... No not a certainty but our best chance of calling the shots early

“Yeah….nah””
twirlyhair
Club Player

Teflon wrote:I want to win and build a winning culture but I must say...... I do value another shot high in the draft .... I'm not advocating tanking but I see little point finishing mid table and possibly missing out on a key forward that we could build around aka Roo

Our race is long it's clear we are using high draft picks to rejuvenate - I believe we have brought in some class what I'd love to get is another top 5 pick or 2 over the next 2 years to give us the best chance of grabbing A graders .... No not a certainty but our best chance of calling the shots early
Totally agree. We needp to finish bottom 3 again, and trade out a player or two to get more top 20 talent. There I so other way if we are to get a force.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

twirlyhair wrote:
Teflon wrote:I want to win and build a winning culture but I must say...... I do value another shot high in the draft .... I'm not advocating tanking but I see little point finishing mid table and possibly missing out on a key forward that we could build around aka Roo

Totally agree. We needp to finish bottom 3 again, and trade out a player or two to get more top 20 talent. There I so other way if we are to get a force.

But surely you want to win this week and if they do then surely you want to beat Essendon and if they do that then surely you want to beat Brisbane.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

want to beat crows
not really fussed on anything else

why?
we arent a shot at a flag (lets be honest) for a few more years

when in this possie winning isnt everything
its a lot, but not everything

development of the talent we have now is imo

but yeah of course we want to win every game
but we did that once before ( all but a a couple of games in 09) and still didnt win the friggin flag

all about development for me
if we lose and the kids get more milage in their legs, learnt something from the team they play against and worl on their own kpis they have been given then im happy

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:want to beat crows

why?

but we did that once before ( all but a a couple of games in 09) and still didnt win the friggin flag

if we lose and the kids get more milage in their legs, learnt something from the team they play against and worl on their own kpis they have been given then im happy

So come next saturday or whenever we play Essendon it will be a ho hum game because you wont care. Surely we all want to win every single week. i agree it wont happen but the game is all about winning. the day i want us to lose or not even care is the day I give up on our club.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

why?

So come next saturday or whenever we play Essendon it will be a ho hum game because you wont care. Surely we all want to win every single week. i agree it wont happen but the game is all about winning. the day i want us to lose or not even care is the day I give up on our club.
As a Saints support I have always gone into way too many games and or seasons knowing realistically you are a snow flakes chance but still investing emotionally in the remarkable chance the team performs way better than expected and pulls of an unexpected win or flag. I do that because I am addicted to the feeling of being the underdog, I've always imagined that it's probably the same feeling a junkyard dog gets when he bites into the arse of a robber. I don't go into any game hoping we lose or feeling ho hum or not caring but as a Saints supporter I've gone into probably 95% of games since the 70s knowing we are going to lose. The beauty of the draft system for poor clubs like ours is that we get DPs for seasons like we are about to have and that to me is something to be happy about.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

why?

As a Saints support I have always gone into way too many games and or seasons knowing realistically you are a snow flakes chance but still investing emotionally in the remarkable chance the team performs way better than expected and pulls of an unexpected win or flag. I do that because I am addicted to the feeling of being the underdog, I've always imagined that it's probably the same feeling a junkyard dog gets when he bites into the arse of a robber. I don't go into any game hoping we lose or feeling ho hum or not caring but as a Saints supporter I've gone into probably 95% of games since the 70s knowing we are going to lose. The beauty of the draft system for poor clubs like ours is that we get DPs for seasons like we are about to have and that to me is something to be happy about.

And your point is what? All I know is i want to win every week. I also know we cant. doesnt mean I hope we dont. I want us to win 22 more games this year.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

And your point is what? All I know is i want to win every week. I also know we cant. doesnt mean I hope we dont. I want us to win 22 more games this year.
Just like you know we can't win 22 more games this year I know that we will lose enough games to secure high draft picks...that's my point.

Johnny Favier
Club Player

I think firstly, we all want the win every week - without exception.
At this stage, I'll accept a fighting loss but nothing less - doesn't want mean I want to see us lose though.

But being realistic, we're currently not within a bull's roar of the top 8 so the next best thing to wanting us to win, is to at least go down fighting and build respect.