Delaney and Bruce

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Delaney and Bruce

jamesmc wrote:
gringo wrote:Gwilt and Gears were really good when released and Dempster looks much more poised and relaxed with those guys there. Love the escaped mental patient hipster hair too.
I wonder if gosaintas still thinks gwilt is a hack

He was close to best on ground in hindsight, he was absolutely everywhere. He forgot to be slow and his kicking was outstanding. He is one of those guys you have to respect because he gives everything he's got. He will stand shoulder to hip with Sandilands and Petrie and you know he will do his best to make their lives hard once he takes them on.

Vazelos
Club Player

Bruce is a very good athlete and happy with him. Delaney is big and strong and has a decent leap. These 2 have changed our back line considerably already and Fisher is to come in also.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Who does Fisher come in for?

Delaney... No
Dempster.... No
Geary... No
Webster... No
Newnes... No
Bruce.... Maybe
Gwilt.... Maybe

Gwilt was generally very good

But some really poor defensive efforts marred his game. Didn't kill the ball once, dropped it once, and missed an easy tackle... All resulted in goals..

Simpkin is in great form at Sandy also
Roberton is at Sandy... Remember 2013 so if he finds form?
Shenton is possibly Sandy's best player ATM

gringo
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Who does Fisher come in for?

Delaney... No
Dempster.... No
Geary... No
Webster... No
Newnes... No
Bruce.... Maybe
Gwilt.... Maybe

Gwilt was generally very good

But some really poor defensive efforts marred his game. Didn't kill the ball once, dropped it once, and missed an easy tackle... All resulted in goals..

Simpkin is in great form at Sandy also
Roberton is at Sandy... Remember 2013 so if he finds form?
Shenton is possibly Sandy's best player ATM
Gwilt played an outstanding game how you found the few bits of bad in an otherwise amazing game I don't know. Webster was on Stanton when he went on a five minute rampage, Lenny turned the ball over several times but football is always going to throw if variable situations, as a defender it is about limiting exposure but you aren't always going to have a clean sheet. Fisher might have to go forward. Winning teams don't often get to many outs.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

If Sam Fisher is fit

He will come in

He is a dual club champion and AA

Schnieder came straight in, Hayes did, Montagna did, Armo will, Steven did.... Guns come in, as soon as conditioning is complete.

Where does Gwilt fit in as a defender.... Not tall, Slow, not agile.... Strong, a good user (generally), composed

gringo
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:If Sam Fisher is fit

He will come in

Schnieder came straight in, Hayes did, Montagna did, Armo will, Steven did.... Guns come in, as soon as conditioning is complete.

Where does Gwilt fit in as a defender.... Not tall, Slow, not agile.... Strong, a good user (generally), composed

I'm not sure if one VFL game in 350 days is conditioned though. He is one of my favourite players but you wonder who would go out for him as you said. I think those other guys are in a more flexible role too. I would probably try something like moving him to CHF and taking out someone like Eli who did pretty well but looked a bit tired by the end of the game. They could swap Gwilt with him if it doesn't work. Still get a bit of a defensive forward set up that way but lose some pace.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Fish last played R10 last year... But up until the intra club which he played in he did much of the pre season and was a standout in Colorado

Lenny played 1 at Sandy after his knee
Schnieds the same

You don't drive a Ferrari in the bush FP too long IMO

He will return as soon as Stk believe he is match ready

stinger
Saintsational Legend

saint-stu wrote:
dragit wrote:Appatently Ross Lyon ruined our list as he was recruiting all the duds?
Not trying to say he did, but we didn't have a head of football for a large part of the time and I reckon Ross probably had a lot of influence on recruiting. Maybe too much? Suits the coach to recruit for the short term and not worry about the future.

+1

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Vazelos wrote:Bruce is a very good athlete and happy with him. Delaney is big and strong and has a decent leap. These 2 have changed our back line considerably already and Fisher is to come in also.

hate to be a wet blanket...but one game , a season does not make......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:I like Delaney, good honest footballer, getting better with each game too...
And got better when he got a bit angry. Hopefully someone will smack him (not too hard) in the first few minutes of each game.

As to Josh Bruce, I think he needs a fair bit of fitness work still, but his height and strength will be welcomed on the back line.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

It was great to see a solid defence last night, rather than an overwhelmed one. Both boys played exceptionally well. Bruce looks particularly good.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
BigMart wrote:If Sam Fisher is fit

He will come in

I'm not sure if one VFL game in 350 days is conditioned though. He is one of my favourite players but you wonder who would go out for him as you said. I think those other guys are in a more flexible role too. I would probably try something like moving him to CHF and taking out someone like Eli who did pretty well but looked a bit tired by the end of the game. They could swap Gwilt with him if it doesn't work. Still get a bit of a defensive forward set up that way but lose some pace.
They'll also factor in Fish would be off a 6 day break, after his 1st game back, and it's a 3.5 hr flight to Wellington. IIRC his problem was back related, with hamstring implications - not sure a 6 day break and a longish plane flight would be ideal. I reckon they'll give him another week. Besides, the defence operated fine last night and, apart from the Ravens fiasco (which was as much midfield as the blokes down back), have operated as a good unit thus far.

And, I reckon Jimmy's been pretty good. Richardson has plonked him with more organisational responsibility, and the results suggest it wasn't a bad move.

As for a couple of the blues he made last night, he made a couple of them in the last 1/4. He got tunneled just before 3/4 time and didn't look great when he hobbled off. I thought he was manful to get back out there and continue in much the same role as he'd been successful at for most of the night.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021