"Good" Friday - if you're an NRL, Super Rugby, a-league fan

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Re: "Good" Friday - if you're an NRL, Super Rugby, a-league

saintspremiers wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:All three codes have games on today, with 2 games in Melbourne at AAMI and Etihad.

Very considerate of the AFL to give these codes a leg up, whilst spending over 100 million on expansion teams trying to combat them.

Hypocrits.
Didn't you whinge last year because the election was going to be on some Jew holy day?

Not so precious when it is a different fairy tale's holy day.

And you call the AFL hypocritical :roll:
Rehashing old ground a third time eh Joff?

I think the doctor may just be onto something.

No need to start calling religions fairy tales JB. No one comes on here to discuss religion so not sure why it's ok to bait / disrespect other people's personal beliefs.

But as for the hypocritical nature of SP - exactly right. Kicks up a fuss when voting isn't convenient for him.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
dragit wrote:Dear sweet little one day old baby Jesus in your crib...
Bless you that this will be the last year that I will be made to observe somebody else's personal beliefs...
Whether or not I watch the Good Friday games going forward, at least I will no longer be tied to another's quirky religious rules.
For all of those who are offended at the thought of sport being played on this day, I 100% support your right to not watch the game.
Amen.

See this is where people can be silly.

I understand that no one should be forced to follow others beliefs but your whole argument should be directed to the government as the reason there is a public holiday is based on the same reasons there is no football.

Let's not pick and chose what you choose to follow, or be forced to follow. Or which quirky rules you should be tied to.

Forward your complaints to the government... Or whoever makes the Australian calendar.
I'm being silly, but you want me to contact the government to remove a public holiday?

For starters, I don't get paid today so there's not a lot I would be complaining about.

I don't have a problem with Christian themed public holidays as even the faithless benefit. I do have a problem with not being allowed to watch a game of football as it is deemed to be inappropriate by religious conservatives.

Queens birthday, Easter Sunday & Monday, Anzac Day are all public holidays too, but we have moved on from banning sport on these days... Finally common sense has prevailed and from next year, the majority of the public won't have to miss out because of the beliefs of a few.

If the majority didn't want it, it wouldn't be happening.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Southern Stars‏@SouthernStars·
Great to have @Jess_cameron27 supporting the #GoodFridayAppeal alongside the boys from her fav footy team @stkildafc pic.twitter.com/45oOWsAh1K

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Tom Hickey‏@hickey_t
In the spirit of the day for every retweet this tweet gets up until 7pm I'm going to donate 1$ to the good Friday appeal.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Tom Hickey‏@hickey_t
In the spirit of the day for every retweet this tweet gets up until 7pm I'm going to donate 1$ to the good Friday appeal.
Tom Hickey‏@hickey_t·
So you guys are sending me broke. I'm going to have to cap it at $1200 #needtoeat
Expand

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:

Tom Hickey‏@hickey_t
Tom Hickey‏@hickey_t·
So you guys are sending me broke. I'm going to have to cap it at $1200 #needtoeat
Expand
Nice one!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:

Tom Hickey‏@hickey_t
Tom Hickey‏@hickey_t·
Expand

Good work Thomas
Tom Hickey‏@hickey_t·
Thanks everyone for the retweets. I had to cap it.. In unrelated news, anyone want to lend me $1200. @GoodFriAppeal pic.twitter.com/04bug7gxr7

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Well I got to watch the saints win today on Good Friday.

The berrigan saints rolled tocumwal today on the river in front of a bumper crowd. Think half of Melbourne were here

Bring back the Lockett era
Newman
Club Player

At Easter everyone get's a four day holiday ... or an extra 2 days off because it's Easter. Yep, doesn't matter whether you got to church or believe in Jesus - you still get 2 full days off. Surely out of respect for the Christian religion we can cope without one day of footy? Imagine if the powers to be said ... "you know what - only a small minority observe Easter as a holy period - let's drop this nonsense of 2 days off."

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Newman wrote:At Easter everyone get's a four day holiday ... or an extra 2 days off because it's Easter. Yep, doesn't matter whether you got to church or believe in Jesus - you still get 2 full days off. Surely out of respect for the Christian religion we can cope without one day of footy? Imagine if the powers to be said ... "you know what - only a small minority observe Easter as a holy period - let's drop this nonsense of 2 days off."
Jesus didn't invent public holidays.
Not sure why Christians think they can hold everyone to ransom over this...
If we didn't observe Christmas & Easter, the public holidays would just be moved to other dates.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Newman wrote:At Easter everyone get's a four day holiday ... or an extra 2 days off because it's Easter. Yep, doesn't matter whether you got to church or believe in Jesus - you still get 2 full days off. Surely out of respect for the Christian religion we can cope without one day of footy? Imagine if the powers to be said ... "you know what - only a small minority observe Easter as a holy period - let's drop this nonsense of 2 days off."
If we didn't observe Christmas & Easter, the public holidays would just be moved to other dates.
Exactly. Couldn't give a hoot about dumb christians and their even dumber beliefs

<poster warned for baiting>

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Wrong.

I'm permanent part time and Good Friday and Easter Monday together with any public holiday is just another day off. I only get paid if I work a public holiday, of which we are only open for half of them.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
dragit wrote:
Exactly. Couldn't give a hoot about dumb christians and their even dumber beliefs

Fact is you wouldn't write that about any other religion because it would be discriminatory and pretty disrespectful.

But the majority for some reason are open to attacks like this. You want to debate religion - go do it on another forum.

Seriously, writing that about Jews/ Muslims/ or anyone else, you wouldn't have the courage to even consider it.

Newman
Club Player

Well Joffa ... have a nice Easter Sunday my friend. I'm certainly not ashamed of my belief in Jesus - I'm just ashamed in my 'dumb belief' in thinking the Saints were no chance against the Bombers. The win certainly made my Easter very special.

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
whiskers3614 wrote:One day a year, remember the 70's when all games on Saturday afternoon.
There has to be a happy medium somewhere!
Footy has been scientifically proven to exist, unlike all mainstream religions.

F religious holiday's getting in the way of my number one religion!
Pretty poor post mate.

It's one day without it, they replace it with Thursday night footy anyway

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saintdooley wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
whiskers3614 wrote:One day a year, remember the 70's when all games on Saturday afternoon.
There has to be a happy medium somewhere!
Footy has been scientifically proven to exist, unlike all mainstream religions.

F religious holiday's getting in the way of my number one religion!
Pretty poor post mate.

Are you religious Dools?

You don't have to watch the game next year on Good Friday. Your choice. Why not have a Thursday AND Friday game?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Newman wrote:Well Joffa ... have a nice Easter Sunday my friend. I'm certainly not ashamed of my belief in Jesus - I'm just ashamed in my 'dumb belief' in thinking the Saints were no chance against the Bombers. The win certainly made my Easter very special.
You can believe it. Like my children once believed in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. A human construct to deceive the ignorant is all.

Not saying people cant believe fairy tales and lies. You right to, just dont expect thinking rational people to respect those beliefs.

And Spinner you are WRONG. I find all religions equally worthless, Islam, Judism, Hindu, Flying Spegetti Monster, all fairy tales.

This hilarious victim mentality of christians is purile. Oh you wouldn't attack other religions, like christians are full of love and peace :roll:

All religions are a blight on humanity and the people who practice it should do us all a favour and top themselves so as to meet their maker earlier.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

By the way, I like no football on Good Friday.

Lance or James??

matrix
Saintsational Legend

imagine the thread next year when footy gets played on good friday :shock: :shock:

while i couldnt give a pigs bum about religion (re-ligion=to tie down or bind back AGAIN) each to there own i guess
but get used to it because footy will be played on good friday, as it should imo

if its a day you find special then you dont go or watch the footy
its not like they stop selling lamb on thursday so no one eats it friday
its a choice
everyone should be able to have a choice

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
saintdooley wrote: Pretty poor post mate.

Are you religious Dools?

You don't have to watch the game next year on Good Friday. Your choice. Why not have a Thursday AND Friday game?
It doesn't matter if I am or not.

I'd love to watch a game of footy on good Friday just as much as I love to watch cats v hawks every Easter Monday.

The game is being changed too much, just because other sports play on Good Friday it doesn't mean we should also. Same as the Grand Final, other sports play it at night but we are Saturday afternoon, dont change that. It's history, it's what makes the game. Also for respect, not for Religious reasons but for those 20, 40 even 60 years ago who played and helped make the game where it is now.

If It's not broke, don't fix it.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
dragit
Saintsational Legend

saintdooley wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
saintdooley wrote: Pretty poor post mate.

Are you religious Dools?

It doesn't matter if I am or not.

I'd love to watch a game of footy on good Friday just as much as I love to watch cats v hawks every Easter Monday.

The game is being changed too much, just because other sports play on Good Friday it doesn't mean we should also. Same as the Grand Final, other sports play it at night but we are Saturday afternoon, dont change that. It's history, it's what makes the game. Also for respect, not for Religious reasons but for those 20, 40 even 60 years ago who played and helped make the game where it is now.

If It's not broke, don't fix it.
You realise this doesn't make any sense...

For 100+ years the game was played on Saturday afternoons only.

No Friday nights, Sundays, public holidays...

The question is, why is football currently banned on good fridays?

I don't think it's out of respect to the heritage of the sport. It's tied into a religious belief system that only 9% of the population are actively practicing.

I genuinely mean no disrespect to Christians here, but I think this tradition is outdated and by all reports will change next year.

Hopefully sport unites everyone and goes not side with any particular doctrines or segments of the community.