Nat Fyfe

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saint wagga
Club Player

Nat Fyfe

Read a story on the AFL website this morning that mentioned that Fyfe is out of contract at season's end and would consider a move to Melbourne if the deal was right! With his age, games played and injury profile, i'm wondering if people think he is worth having a masssive crack at given our salary cap space? Could he be the marquee player that leads our next premiership tilt? I think it could be worth considering, given he's a bona fide gun, seems a fairly clean skin bloke and the benefits of having a young high profile player...the saints haven't gone after a big fish since Gehrig, and Fyfe would be massive news!!

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Nat Fyfe

With Pav coming to the end in the next couple of years I would be utterly shocked if Fyfe left Freo.

Sounds like the Fyfe camp are fishing for more money from Freo

Bring back the Lockett era
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Bit early. Would be absolutely perfect if we were two years further down the track.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

he wants 800k. too much and too greedy. 200k over

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
howlinwolf
Club Player

jonesy wrote:With Pav coming to the end in the next couple of years I would be utterly shocked if Fyfe left Freo.

Sounds like the Fyfe camp are fishing for more money from Freo
I agree Jonesy. His manager said the Freo offer was not unreasonable. More or less telling them a bit more and it's a done deal imo.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
Saint wagga
Club Player

I agree, It will probably be a done deal, but do you reckon the club is considering pitching a massive 5 year deal to try and lure him away? Is he worth it?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:he wants 800k. too much and too greedy. 200k over
I'd show him a a few highlights of the 2013 GF, that should help bring the amount down a little.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Saint wagga wrote:I agree, It will probably be a done deal, but do you reckon the club is considering pitching a massive 5 year deal to try and lure him away? Is he worth it?
He's worth it… but I reckon GWS would throw something like 1.2mil per season at him…

Freo will pay 7-800

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:he wants 800k. too much and too greedy. 200k over

Seems very fair to me in this day and age. Not a hope of getting him but would take him at that price in a heartbeat.

70s sainter
Club Player

The fact is were gonna have to pay overs for someone sooner or later if were gonna get someone in on free agency .
How else would we get them. .
We ll be down the bottom , so instant premiership chance won't be part of the offer.
What we do have on our side is salary cap room .
Would be interesting to know who the free agents are at the end of 2015.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

If he is truly available I would have a go for him. He is part of what we want.
:twisted:

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

You'd think GWS would still have some of their Buddy war-chest available, and I wouldn't mind betting the AFL would love to help them land a big name there to bring the fans in just as they start to rise up the ladder.

Not a hope he would come to us - but geez now that the Swans have opened the floodgates with whats possible in terms of ridiculous deals, you just never know what kind of left field may pop out. Good on him, I hope he maximizes his earning potential.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Yes definitely get the Fyfe.

ace
Saintsational Legend

WHY WOUD HE?
Why would he come to St Kilda FC?
When Gary Ablett went to Gold Coast he knew he would get to play a few years with them while their first round draft picks were in their prime
AND he got mega contract.

The only things St Kilda can guarantee is a big pay cheque and that he WON'T have to play finals.
That will bring forward his annual leave but also mean an extra month of pre-season.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
spot on
Club Player

I would pay 800000 a year for fyfe, best young player in the comp that we could build our team around. No body else on our list would demand much cash for a few years so we need to pay someone the money. Still think there's other clubs he would choose before the saints thou , but if the price is right...

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Saint wagga wrote:Read a story on the AFL website this morning that mentioned that Fyfe is out of contract at season's end and would consider a move to Melbourne if the deal was right! With his age, games played and injury profile, i'm wondering if people think he is worth having a masssive crack at given our salary cap space? Could he be the marquee player that leads our next premiership tilt? I think it could be worth considering, given he's a bona fide gun, seems a fairly clean skin bloke and the benefits of having a young high profile player...the saints haven't gone after a big fish since Gehrig, and Fyfe would be massive news!!
There is no way he would leave Perth - his manager is just trying to drive up his contract. Concentrate on finding our own stars Saints !

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

wont happen, plus 800k way to much... i would prefer Sloane but that's dreamland as well.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
gringo
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:WHY WOUD HE?
When Gary Ablett went to Gold Coast he knew he would get to play a few years with them while their first round draft picks were in their prime

The only things St Kilda can guarantee is a big pay cheque and that he WON'T have to play finals.
That will bring forward his annual leave but also mean an extra month of pre-season.

I think Pelchen and co have a plan laid out with time frames which is all Carlton and Gold Coast had to lure Ablett and judd. Money and a bit of a vague plan make decisions for you some times.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

How the hell is 800k too much?

It's probably unders to get him away from Freo.

SunburySaint
Club Player

ace wrote:WHY WOUD HE?

Agree

Also, Ablett had the advantage of winning 2 flags and a Brownlow already.... he had achieved the highest accolades (still does), which is why it was easier for him to leave (AFL Money aside)

The only reason we would get a FA like that now is if they have already achieved everything and are looking at a top up in super and potentially be part of leading a generation of young guys.

I personally don't think we should target an FA until we are beginning our climb.. 2016-2018 would be round the time to look at it.

Now lives in Geelong...
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

I have a theory re: the elite players.

Maybe we're better off aiming to build a team of say 25 affordable, skillful B grade players in the right age bracket on say $400,000 per annum - gradually eliminating any C graders/GOPs with questionable skills or pace issues in the process, rather than chasing the demanding, destabilizing A graders who will inevitably squeeze the salary cap and or depart for more money or leave the team in a weaker state.
Last edited by samoht on Wed 21 May 2014 1:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:I have a theory re: the elite players.

Maybe we're better off aiming to build a team of say 25 affordable, skillful B grade players in the right age bracket on say $400,000 per annum - gradually eliminating any C graders/GOPs with questionable skills or pace issues in the process, rather than chasing the demanding, destabilizing A graders who will inevitably squeeze the salary cap and or depart for more money and leave the team weaker and in limbo.
You still need the stars to beat the best sides. There's no top 8 sides without at least a handful, but I agree that we certainly should be aiming for a more rounded list than we had last tilt…

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

dragit wrote:

Maybe we're better off aiming to build a team of say 25 affordable, skillful B grade players in the right age bracket on say $400,000 per annum - gradually eliminating any C graders/GOPs with questionable skills or pace issues in the process, rather than chasing the demanding, destabilizing A graders who will inevitably squeeze the salary cap and or depart for more money and leave the team weaker and in limbo.
You still need the stars to beat the best sides. There's no top 8 sides without at least a handful.
I'm not sure about that.
Has there ever been a team of skillful B graders throughout - with no GOPs?

Teams with 6 A graders usually end up with about 6 C graders - due to salary cap issues.
Last edited by samoht on Wed 21 May 2014 1:30pm, edited 1 time in total.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

He's only 22 and already a proven elite midfielder of the competition. IMO clubs will offer him 1mil + a year over 5 years. Would be a perfect Lenny replacement. Still has another decade of footy in him.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:
dragit wrote:

You still need the stars to beat the best sides. There's no top 8 sides without at least a handful.
I'm not sure about that.
Has there ever been a team of skillful B graders throughout - with no GOPs?
All semantics where you rate players I guess, but do we get rid of Steven and Billings because they are above "skillful b graders"?

A midfield of 8 b-graders against collingwood, hawthorn, fremantle or sydney would get absolutely slaughtered.