NEW Asst Coach !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: NEW Asst Coach !!

The OtherThommo wrote:
dragit wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
dragit wrote:Neil Craig & Brendan McCartney didn't play at AFL level.
Both unproven, one failed, one yet to prove himself.
Voss, Ratten, Primus, Watson etc etc… all champions on the playing field, didn't help them coach.

I wouldn't call Neil Craig's career a failure by any means… 177 games at a similar WIN/Loss to Sheedy.
All true and valid, Dragit. But, given she's joining the ranks as a development coach, I reckon that's the right job, from a perspective of her background and to keep her performance assessment from being tied to win/loss ratios. The club management will be able to assess her away from the extra special scrutiny of the chattering classes who will look for reasons why her gender is antithetical to football coaching success.

If she performs up to the expectations of those who have engaged her services in a development role, then they and she can have increased confidence she can go forward, and withstand that "extra" scrutiny.

I reckon it's a terrific appointment. Let's face it, lots of spruiking about diversity means jot if you don't actually do some of it.

Just as an aside, and from the dregs of my memory, but I seem to recall the person who took the strongest stand at E'dope, about the jabfest, was a woman employed in their fitness and conditioning staff. Again from memory, I also seem to recall she either got the bullet for her protest, or quit in disgust. Maybe they should have listened to her, instead of the blind allegiance to the boys' club culture.

While there could well be some element of pleasing the AFL heirarchy with such an appointment, I actually enjoy a bit of differentiation. And, let's face it, one of the best routes out of our current malaise is to differentiate ourselves. If this move enables the AFL to hold us up as a good example, then great.

I hope she does bring a broader perspective to our player development, 'cos it can only help. And, I hope she gets to the chance to be both a development and developing coach.
Us men aren't much chop at taking the moral high ground are we?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I hope she got the job on her merits and hope it wasn't a token appointment.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Saints94
SS Life Member

magnifisaint wrote:I hope she got the job on her merits and hope it wasn't a token appointment.
+1.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
The OtherThommo wrote:
dragit wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
Both unproven, one failed, one yet to prove himself.
Voss, Ratten, Primus, Watson etc etc… all champions on the playing field, didn't help them coach.

I wouldn't call Neil Craig's career a failure by any means… 177 games at a similar WIN/Loss to Sheedy.
All true and valid, Dragit. But, given she's joining the ranks as a development coach, I reckon that's the right job, from a perspective of her background and to keep her performance assessment from being tied to win/loss ratios. The club management will be able to assess her away from the extra special scrutiny of the chattering classes who will look for reasons why her gender is antithetical to football coaching success.

If she performs up to the expectations of those who have engaged her services in a development role, then they and she can have increased confidence she can go forward, and withstand that "extra" scrutiny.

I reckon it's a terrific appointment. Let's face it, lots of spruiking about diversity means jot if you don't actually do some of it.

Just as an aside, and from the dregs of my memory, but I seem to recall the person who took the strongest stand at E'dope, about the jabfest, was a woman employed in their fitness and conditioning staff. Again from memory, I also seem to recall she either got the bullet for her protest, or quit in disgust. Maybe they should have listened to her, instead of the blind allegiance to the boys' club culture.

While there could well be some element of pleasing the AFL heirarchy with such an appointment, I actually enjoy a bit of differentiation. And, let's face it, one of the best routes out of our current malaise is to differentiate ourselves. If this move enables the AFL to hold us up as a good example, then great.

I hope she does bring a broader perspective to our player development, 'cos it can only help. And, I hope she gets to the chance to be both a development and developing coach.
Us men aren't much chop at taking the moral high ground are we?
Oh, I dunno, SP - for mine, the blokes with the biggest problem in the area you mention are the ones who only listen to other blokes, and only those blokes who live and work in the same tent as themselves.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Eastern wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:Great PR iniative if nothing else. Should help with sponsorship. And maybe she can coach also!
From what I've read in the last 10 mins she is more than qualified and more than capable of doing the job. Welcome aboard Peta !!
+ 1

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2014-06-0 ... nts-searle

Media statement. With a helpful summary of qualifications for the doubters.

Always loyal
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

philtee wrote:Anyone else remember that excellent British TV series, "The Manageress", with Cherie Lunghi
as the woman who takes over the Manager's job at a struggling F.A. Club, and has to resist the Chairman,
Board, players, supporters who all try to bring her down.

All the arguments being raised here are very familiar !

Only twelve episodes made...
...do they get promoted to First Division in the last ep???

yes a great series.

The new AC is not the HC so the issues and her role is very different.

IMHO if she is suitably qualified, she deseves her chance.

I dont have an issue with a different prespective, especially from somone with excellent qualifications as she has.

You are garbage - Enough said
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Can see nothing but positives with this appointment, may very well be what closes a big sponsorship deal.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Can see nothing but positives with this appointment, may very well be what closes a big sponsorship deal.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:Can see nothing but positives with this appointment, may very well be what closes a big sponsorship deal.

I really hope that didnt cross anyones mind at the club otherwise we have some issues. I have no problem with the appointment if she is the best person for the job but being an assistant coach at St kevins this year and being backline coach at Port the previous year doesnt sound like a person who is ready for AFL footy. Must have interviewed very well.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
3rd generation saint wrote:Can see nothing but positives with this appointment, may very well be what closes a big sponsorship deal.

I really hope that didnt cross anyones mind at the club otherwise we have some issues. I have no problem with the appointment if she is the best person for the job but being an assistant coach at St kevins this year and being backline coach at Port the previous year doesnt sound like a person who is ready for AFL footy. Must have interviewed very well.
Well who knws - turned out Scott Watters wasn't ready for HC of an AFL club but got the gig.

You are garbage - Enough said
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:Not arguing that playing AFL automatically makes you succeed as a coach, arguing that it helps.
I've met a bunch of AFL players professionally and most of them couldn't think their way out of a paper bag, not to mention their inflated opinion of themselves. I don't know exactly what skills are require of an development coach, but if brainpower and empathy are at all important then there are plenty of women who'd do the job much better than a generic ex-AFL player.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:Not arguing that playing AFL automatically makes you succeed as a coach, arguing that it helps.
I've met a bunch of AFL players professionally and most of them couldn't think their way out of a paper bag, not to mention their inflated opinion of themselves. I don't know exactly what skills are require of an development coach, but if brainpower and empathy are at all important then there are plenty of women who'd do the job much better than a generic ex-AFL player.
Interesting question then: what skills does a development coach need?

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
bergholt wrote:
Like any teacher; Knowledge and communication.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Danny Sexton might be a better example amongst our own ranks of a person starting out as a development coach who had neither played AFL nor been head coach at a VFL team. His experience is not dissimilar to Peta Searle's in many ways.

"Danny Sexton has a wealth of football experience as a player and coach. He played at Port Melbourne for seven years before coaching Lower Plenty in the Diamond Valley Football League (now Northern Football League), ran the Calder Cannons under-16 and under-18 development programs and was head coach at the Northern Knights. Sexton joined St Kilda as a development coach in 2006, become the opposition analyst in 2010 before being appointed the Saints' defensive coach in 2012."

Personally, I love the fact she also has teaching qualifications and experience at secondary school level, which is not only a positive point of difference from many other development coaches, but evidence of actual experience in communicating with what must be a large part of her target audience in our Academy.

Always loyal
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
bergholt wrote:
Like any teacher; Knowledge and communication.
1. Identify the areas requiring development (not alone, gather the required assessments and inputs from as many sources as required).
2. Put together a learning and development plan, in consultation, including the player in question.
3. Agree the l & d plan.
4. Involve the other resources required to deliver the plan e.g. skills, fitness and conditioning, game planners, outside resources, like educators, employers.
5. Measure the progress and adjust as required.
6. Yell loudly when Premierships, Brownlows and B & F's are delivered.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Photo on website would show she is extra to who was there
Will link later unless someone gets it earlier

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

OK . What about the fact she is a single mother raising 2 kids and for a while left her teaching job for coaching on less money?
This woman is gutsy, if nothing else.
I told my wife of the appointment and her response was good, I hope they learn to respect women rather than rape them......hmmm...I reckon there would be many non Saints fans with a similar sentiment. ..
Last edited by saintspremiers on Mon 02 Jun 2014 3:01pm, edited 1 time in total.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:Photo on website would show she is extra to who was there
Will link later unless someone gets it earlier

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Yes, she must have interviewed well. She did say the 1st went poorly, but once she got beyond that it went well.

And, of course any benefit beyond her development ability was considered. Do you reckon no organisation looks for benefits beyond the core responsibilities of an appointment? That doesn't mean she was appointed despite her abilities - it just means there can be benefits beyond the simple.

You don't reckon blokes from the US or NZ get put on lists purely because of their ability and background in AFL football do ya? No intent to tickle up a bit of positive publicity from those appointments? Of course clubs who list such players want, and intend, them to become good on field contributors. But, there is also a longer term perspective in those decisions.

Somewhere around half the AFL following is female. If we were to make an appointment like this without considering the positives we can derive, beyond filling a vacancy, we're fools. Contrary to that ever present possibility, I reckon it's a smart appointment, particularly given her background, qualifications and obvious passion.

Besides, by limiting the prospective pool of coaches available we are left with the current model, where coaches, particularly assistants and development coaches, just hop on a merry go round and go club to club, never challenged by the prospect of sourcing alternative talent from the great pool of talent who have never played AFL football, or aren't blokes.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Extremely well received by the players group. ( or so I was told )

Sobraz
SS Life Member

So it all comes back to the old PR chestnut then by the sounds of things Tot.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Yes, she must have interviewed well. She did say the 1st went poorly, but once she got beyond that it went well.

And, of course any benefit beyond her development ability was considered. Do you reckon no organisation looks for benefits beyond the core responsibilities of an appointment? That doesn't mean she was appointed despite her abilities - it just means there can be benefits beyond the simple.

You don't reckon blokes from the US or NZ get put on lists purely because of their ability and background in AFL football do ya? No intent to tickle up a bit of positive publicity from those appointments? Of course clubs who list such players want, and intend, them to become good on field contributors. But, there is also a longer term perspective in those decisions.

Somewhere around half the AFL following is female. If we were to make an appointment like this without considering the positives we can derive, beyond filling a vacancy, we're fools. Contrary to that ever present possibility, I reckon it's a smart appointment, particularly given her background, qualifications and obvious passion.

Besides, by limiting the prospective pool of coaches available we are left with the current model, where coaches, particularly assistants and development coaches, just hop on a merry go round and go club to club, never challenged by the prospect of sourcing alternative talent from the great pool of talent who have never played AFL football, or aren't blokes.

Its pretty simple. The benefits should have only been looked at if she interviewed equal or better than any other people. As I said if she was the best person for the job then its the right appointment. if she wasnt then it isnt the right appointment no matter what the benefits are outside of coaching or developing. IMO of course.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
The OtherThommo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Its pretty simple. The benefits should have only been looked at if she interviewed equal or better than any other people. As I said if she was the best person for the job then its the right appointment. if she wasnt then it isnt the right appointment no matter what the benefits are outside of coaching or developing. IMO of course.
Couldn't agree more. I just hope we haven't got too many (experimenting) balls up in the air at once. At the moment we are trying to teach a yank and a Kiwi how to play AFL. Throw in a new CEO who is learning the ropes and a bunch of kids on the list that have just learned how to shave. Just hoping we don't get the balance wrong.

Legendary
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote:Would the Australian Womens Netball Team be ok with a male coach roaming through the change rooms. That's one problem I can see. Worth the experiment though if our budget doesn't allow us to employ the best available coaches at AFL level. I hope she succeeds.
Cairnsman wrote: She didn't play at AFL level and she has had minimal experience at AFL level and in particular under very experienced coaches within a very good system so I would guess there were better choices on that score. I think it is probably token and I think our weak financial situation probably doesn't allow us to pick the very best also.
Sir, I hope you were born prior to 1940, because nothing else could explain the unconscious bias and ignorance you have demonstrated in your comments on this topic.

To ask whether it is appropriate for a woman to be present in the St Kilda changing rooms is a baseless and ridiculous question. I have reported your post to the moderators.

At every football club from the Under 10's to AFL level, women are currently present in the change rooms as physiotherapists, doctors, trainers, board members, parents and supporters. Have you been inside the change rooms of a sporting club since 1950?

To label her appointment as token is to ignore her experience as a player and coach, the outstanding personal recommendations given by Gary Ayres and Stan Alves and the fact that she participated in two interviews. You are also making accusations against the club that they are not acting in the interests of their players by appointing the best person available to help them.

Has far north Queensland become so isolated in its cultural and social attitudes from the rest of this country that it is impossible to accept that a woman can have the ability, the experience, the wisdom and the track record to succeed as a coach at an AFL club?

We have had several senior coaches (Neil Craig, Wayne Brittain, Brendan McCartney and Brendan Bolton) and other assistants (our own Danny Sexton is one) who didn't play AFL at the highest level. And yet they all obtained their positions based on merit. Danny Sexton has been retained and promoted by three different senior coaches. Do you suggest that this was done based on something other than merit? If not, then your argument fails.

If you are so convinced that the skills required to succeed in football are found in the culture of the "men's club", please read what Gary Ayres and Stan Alves (I don't have to remind you of their credentials) have to say about Peta Searle:

Ayres:
"I believe she could knock over, without any problem whatsoever, a development coaching role within any AFL club.
Without a second’s hesitation, Ayres said there were many times when Searle cut through with young footballers in a manner he could not. “Yes, definitely. Through her approach, her communication and her manner.”
The former head coach of Geelong and Adelaide said he would recruit, or recommend, Searle to any club at any level of competition in the game."

Alves:
"At the AFL’s most recent annual national coaching conference in January, former St Kilda coach Stan Alves was blown away by Searle’s presentation on defence. “If she wasn’t the best, she was equal best to anyone who presented at the conference,” Alves said.
“I felt as if I was a player being coached. I came away from the whole thing thinking, ‘This girl can go the next step. She can be the groundbreaker.’"