Rhys Stanley

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rhys Stanley

Rhys is trying and I think there is absolutely nothing to be gained by bagging him. He has been struck down with injury most of his career and is playing some quite consistent but not outstanding footy this year. Rooey saying he hated social media is exactly for that reason. Internet heroes getting out frustrations on a guy who is under more pressure to keep hold of their career than most on here will ever experience.

Imagine if social media could comment on Marts career for instance. Some parent takes exception on him disciplining his shitty kid and they all comment on what a crap soft spud teacher he is. They call for him to be sacked and it snowballs into rumours about every kind of fanciful problems with his personality and background people can dream of.

These kids are real people. A mates nephew played at the Pies recently and had to retire due to an injury that would restrict his career and possibly mean a joint replacement. The fans don't care about excuses, they just see you as a wasted space on their list and write hate mail because you failed to live up to their expectations. If people think it doesn't get back to players they are dreaming. Armos family get on here and read it and I'm sure they aren't the only ones. Imaging the amount of friends and hangers on that read the facebook crap and stuff too.

These guys should celebrate getting to the top of the very elite players in the country not be smashed by people with no real idea about anything other than their own opinions. Keep respectful and comment on actual incidents and real measures and don't resort to inane generalisations and see what we end up with. I think most would actually want Rhys to be a good player. Undermining his confidence isn't the best way.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Rhys should be compared with Shaun Hampson who was a pick 28 in 2013 (remarkably)
Thats about his level.

Comparisons to Taylor Walker or Kurt Tippett are like comparing CJ to Gary Ablett .
Agree, think we just have unrealistic expectations a lot of the time.

I guess sometimes people are just making comparisons to another player that continued improving after a number of years.

Rhys has had a couple of shockers, but his numbers this year are still better than any previous year which gives me hope. Nearly twice as many marks this year and more hitouts.

Ideally he would be kicking one goal per game at this stage, which he may have done with some better delivery.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Rhys is trying and I think there is absolutely nothing to be gained by bagging him. He has been struck down with injury most of his career and is playing some quite consistent but not outstanding footy this year. Rooey saying he hated social media is exactly for that reason. Internet heroes getting out frustrations on a guy who is under more pressure to keep hold of their career than most on here will ever experience.

Imagine if social media could comment on Marts career for instance. Some parent takes exception on him disciplining his shitty kid and they all comment on what a crap soft spud teacher he is. They call for him to be sacked and it snowballs into rumours about every kind of fanciful problems with his personality and background people can dream of.

These kids are real people. A mates nephew played at the Pies recently and had to retire due to an injury that would restrict his career and possibly mean a joint replacement. The fans don't care about excuses, they just see you as a wasted space on their list and write hate mail because you failed to live up to their expectations. If people think it doesn't get back to players they are dreaming. Armos family get on here and read it and I'm sure they aren't the only ones. Imaging the amount of friends and hangers on that read the facebook crap and stuff too.

These guys should celebrate getting to the top of the very elite players in the country not be smashed by people with no real idea about anything other than their own opinions. Keep respectful and comment on actual incidents and real measures and don't resort to inane generalisations and see what we end up with. I think most would actually want Rhys to be a good player. Undermining his confidence isn't the best way.

I certainly agree that we shouldnt go to far in bagging players but im unsure what is said on here has any effect on the players at all. Surely none of them would read the crap on here. Im sure some family and friends would but they arent likely to be coming out to Rhys and saying most people on SS think you are a spud. Im more of the opinion that this a saints site and constantly bagging players make little sense as we are suppossed to love our club and with that should mean dont constantly bag the same players. lets face it if you have said it a few times on here we know how you feel so there is no need to constantly repeat it.
Last edited by plugger66 on Mon 02 Jun 2014 7:19pm, edited 1 time in total.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I have never bagged him once.

I have only tried to pour cold water over the 'superstar' & 'tear it apart' comments/expectations which just get ridiculous on occasion.

He has been doing a fair job as a third string fwd and 2nd ruck. Has taken his share of contested marks.
Has had a few bad moments where he has not gone when it was clearly his turn.
But hes not going disastrously. A good honest 100 game career is nothing to be sniffed at.
I do worry that most years he starts the season ok and then fades. But he is what he is. No point stressing over it.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Sorry CJ

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Sorry CJ

Never read you bag CJ. have read you give what some consider good reasons why he shouldnt play and what some consider bad reasons why he shouldnt play. Bagging is different and there a couple of experts on here who do it many times.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Playon wrote:Roo backs Rhys to rebound

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2014-06-0 ... to-rebound
Headline should read 'Roo warns Rhys to "shape up or ship out"'.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Out: Stanley
In: Lee

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Wow I would hate some to have a go at someone completely out of form... ffs

Yes he is not a champion but right now he is 8th in the comp for contested marks, yes 8th, so obviously a complete squib..... idiots and 22nd on the total marks (averaging just over 6 per game)

So many people here seem to want every one of our players to tick every box all the time, this does not happen.

As for calling out "squibs", check out Cam Pedersen of Melbourne, dropped his head a couple of years ago, given the treatment by all and sundry and now one of the most inform players in the comp

fqf

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
spert
Saintsational Legend

Stanley is not a squib and obviously gives it his best to his ability, but having seen him play most times this season, whatever the stats might say, I can say he has had practically no influence on any part of the game he has been involved in. He has taken a couple of nice contested grabs in the forward line and got a couple of goals during the season, then largely goes missing. A 200cm supposedly mobile ruck forward just needs to be influencing the game more, and I don't think it's in him sadly.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

spert wrote:Stanley is not a squib and obviously gives it his best to his ability, but having seen him play most times this season, whatever the stats might say, I can say he has had practically no influence on any part of the game he has been involved in. He has taken a couple of nice contested grabs in the forward line and got a couple of goals during the season, then largely goes missing. A 200cm supposedly mobile ruck forward just needs to be influencing the game more, and I don't think it's in him sadly.
So how do you rate David Hale?

Most believe that he is critical to the Hawks make up as a ruck/ forward.

Stanleys stats are stronger than his in every facet except tap outs (obviously time on ball) and goals (9 >6) and tackles by a couple, Stanley has taken nearly twice as many marks and twice as many contested marks

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

james rose
Club Player

Stats are interesting if you compare players at a similar stage of their careers.

vs Hale
About even, Hale slightly ahead on goals.

Stats below
http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_p ... 1=O&fid2=O

vs Tippett
A goal a game behind, otherwise quite even.

Stats below

vs Sandilands
Stanley slightly ahead but smashed in hitouts.

Stats below

Honestly I don't understand why we can't all be a bit more patient with Stanley, he could be huge for us in three years. You only have to look at the guy play to know confidence could make a big difference for him.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

David Hale is a great case in point, was pretty much a nothing player with the roos, until one day at Geelong he kicked 5 (I Think) . Crosses to Hawthorn and at age 30 is still a very important player for them

james rose
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
saintjake wrote:How many seasons in is Kurt Tippett?

But he kicked 55 goals in 2009 aged 21/22......

So I think you might be pushing the envelope a little if you are wanting to compare Kurt with Rhys.

He is 200 goals ahead of Rhys and 3 years older.

So yes if Rhys kicks 70 this year and next year and the following year he can catch Kurt.

Or to put it another way - If Rhys wins the next three Colemans in a row - starting this year - he will be the same as Kurt at the same age.
Incorrect

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

james rose wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

So I think you might be pushing the envelope a little if you are wanting to compare Kurt with Rhys.

So yes if Rhys kicks 70 this year and next year and the following year he can catch Kurt.

Or to put it another way - If Rhys wins the next three Colemans in a row - starting this year - he will be the same as Kurt at the same age.
Incorrect

Tell me precisely what I said was incorrect?

So Kurt didnt kick 55 goals in 2009? (more than Rhys entire career in one season when he was 21)

And hes not 200 goals ahead and 3 years older?

An 200 goal is equivalent to 3 years of Colemans.

Can you understand stats? Arent you meant to be an expert?

james rose
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
james rose wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Incorrect

Tell me precisely what I said was incorrect?

So Kurt didnt kick 55 goals in 2009? (more than Rhys entire career in one season when he was 21)

And hes not 200 goals ahead and 3 years older?

An 200 goal is equivalent to 3 years of Colemans.

Can you understand stats? Arent you meant to be an expert?

To be honest I got a bit carried away because of the last line of your post about the age thing.

Having said that.

2009 Kurts goal average was 2.29 a game (they played finals that year) and he was the go to target in a top 4 team with Walker yet to establish himself as a regular player (14 games).

I genuinely believe Stanleys stats would be close to that mark if he was our go to target.

And no I'm no expert, used to do a bit of writing and was a lot more informed when I was but it ultimately wasn't worth the time or effort.

I could argue the toss on your line about him needing to win the next three colemans to be considered the same as Kurt at the same age but its not worth it.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Apologies for being grouchy James - it was mainly because I couldnt get on the footywire link.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Can you guys please stay on topic?

Rhys Stanley is the most dissapointing big player at the Saints since Kosi went downhill after having his skull cracked.

At least Kosi put his body in.

I always want our players to perform and achieve and make it.

Doubt Stanley will.

I wont denigrate him by childish abuse though, I will just be dissapointed and hope he can prove me wrong.

You are garbage - Enough said
PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

He is not lazy and he is not soft, he is being played in a forward line dominated by Roo(And fair enough to),the delivery to the forward line is poor at best, our midfield is poor at best (ATM),,the team is getting killed therefore the few times it goes down the fwd line the way it returns is highlighted its sad!The bloke has made incremental steps fwd this year usually when we haven't been killed ,like everyone ATM he needs a hand , his first 3 to 4 years were injury riddled, it's about time you pulled your head out of your arse and backed him up. He "s trying hard it's not easy out there for A 203cm bloke learning his trade in this sort of environment. !

PADDLEPOP1000
PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Ps they don't grow on trees !

PADDLEPOP1000
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Not sure P66 whether I'm in a position from a club POV to issue demands on players wrt where they are picked.

If I was to meet Rhys and was asked how I think he goes. I would say exactly what I believe. He of course could deny, refute or scoff at any suggestions I make... But unfortunately, he does not attack the footy with enough intensity or will himself.
Don't expect N. Riewoldt or Lenny Hayes in those areas, but there is a certain level is expected?!

Here's a question P66?!
How do you rate Rhys wrt his physicality on the footy field. Especially considering he is strongest player on the list?
Yeah I had heard about his strength also, thought that was interesting and that is why I now think he just needs to get jiggy with it. It's also probably a case of him taking so long to get his body right that he still lacks confidence in it.

I remember when one Robert Walls inferred Roo was soft, he almost immediately turned into a different player overnight...post arm bandage period....

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

P66

I think all of those people are in a position where they can pretty much say it how it is, and tell Rhys some home truths... And I honestly believe it will make or break him... But what the hey, he's broken ATM anyway.

Be as PC as you like and pussy foot around it if you want.. But you know, and I know... He holds back (is that a nice way of putting it?) in physical contests

Some times of it quacks, it's a duck? And he doesn't put his body on the line.

Sean Dempster nearly got killed on the wing on Fri night. He backed into a KPP contest at full noise on the lead, cased a spill.. And NO one raised an eyebrow. That's the Standard he sets. Rhy has set his standard, he pulls up short?

Watch the tape. People weren't commenting for nothing, this thread is here for a reason.

I just called what he was doing...

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:It's also probably a case of him taking so long to get his body right that he still lacks confidence in it.
I honestly think there's some of this going on…

I don't think he would be top 10 in in the comp for contested marks if he was soft… not a chance.

I reckon he's definitely in two minds a lot of the time, maybe thinking too much as he's not a natural footballer… maybe he is also concerned about avoided another injury too.

Lazy & Soft are 2 things that are easy to say from the couch or the stands I reckon, I don't think he's either.

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

I dont think Rhys Stanley has what it takes.

An athlete, as plugger said. Not a footballer, lacks the instinct and ferocity you expect from an AFL player.

He is probably a great guy, like Raph Clarke.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I don't think Rhys is weak or lazy or any of those negative things - I think he just really struggles reading the game.

Great athlete but might not have the cognitive spatial awareness and reaction skills to play AFL footy. No shame in that. Not many do.

Can be learned/improved to some extent and I'm sure they are working on it - the question is will he learn/improve quick enough to make a go of his career? Jury well and truly out.

If he was 5'10 and medium paced he would never have got out of c grade footy. But clubs have persisted because of his obvious physical and athletic prowess and size in the hope the other stuff can be learned.

It takes quite a collection of physical and mental attributes to make it as an AFL footy player. Especially an alpha key fwd.