Milera

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Re: Lets get one thing straight about Milera....

2008 draft. Pick 47 (Stanley)
Been in the system for a long time, would be a shame if he went to the Swines or the Power,
I imagine they could unlock his potential and unleash a damaging agile, speedy player that we have only seen glimpses of.
Whatever we get in the trade, it will never ever be equal to his value, because he WILL shine at the Power or the Swines.
Saints will end up with a Fiora or Polo type.
You know I'm right.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
saint6709
Club Player

Re: Milera

milera has some fantastic skills , provides outside run and carry and has a good footy mind - good teams have blokes like this - there is no point having a whole team full of Hayes and armo types - seems to be be a lot of talk about us not having any outside run and leg speed then anyone who offers these things has the finger pointed at them for not being tough in under players

Moods
Saintsational Legend

6621104 wrote:Sadly, as I think the dropped chest mark at a critical time reminded me of Garletts two dropped marks (was it last week?), I think Terry just cannot take the body contact. Compare his effort to a recent effort by one J Selwood - running back with the flight, looking over his shoulder at the ball and taking the chest mark. Now of course Selwood is a freak- not just for his unusually long neck but for his courage. The point- one of the most remarkable attributes of the modern footballer is the physical courage it takes to play the game as if there is no-one around you. I am sure I could not do it, and many a skilled player struggles (the non skilled are quickly weeded out). I suspect he has the rest of the year to show the coach this was an aberration.
Good post. Unfortunately for Terry there's been more than this one 'aberration' as you call it in his time at the saints. Takes enormous courage to play our game, probably more than any game I can think of. Not a character flaw of Terry's. - just a shame he hasn't got it. As you say, 99% of us who love the game, even if we had the ability to play at that level, would struggle with the physicality of it. Seen plenty of young blokes over the years with the same problem - young Nicholas Winmar springs to mind of recent young blokes.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

IMHO Tezza would be a 'handy' player at a team like the Nort Adelaide. But he'd be found out come finals time.

Main problem though is that he simply isn't big enough to compete in the AFL... and never will be. Sure, has tricks, but whilst certainly not being slow, Tezza ain't elite fast. And with his physique... he needs to be.

For mine, I've seen enough.

I'd be looking at getting him home to one of the Adelaide-based clubs... if we can get something in return, fantastic, if not, I'd still try to get him there as an act of goodwill from the club.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
gringo
Saintsational Legend

saint6709 wrote:milera has some fantastic skills , provides outside run and carry and has a good footy mind - good teams have blokes like this - there is no point having a whole team full of Hayes and armo types - seems to be be a lot of talk about us not having any outside run and leg speed then anyone who offers these things has the finger pointed at them for not being tough in under players

I agree. He has been pretty good this year. To me he gets another year.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
saint6709 wrote:milera has some fantastic skills , provides outside run and carry and has a good footy mind - good teams have blokes like this - there is no point having a whole team full of Hayes and armo types - seems to be be a lot of talk about us not having any outside run and leg speed then anyone who offers these things has the finger pointed at them for not being tough in under players

He may like Markworth but it will only because we have so many other players with similat abilty and they cant all go. The problem is we have far to many players like Milera. We arent going anywhere until they nearly all go. Its a sad thing to say but obviously there is some reason we continmue to get smashed every week.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

He may like Markworth but it will only because we have so many other players with similat abilty and they cant all go. The problem is we have far to many players like Milera. We arent going anywhere until they nearly all go. Its a sad thing to say but obviously there is some reason we continmue to get smashed every week.

It couldn't be that we have got rid of a mass of experienced players and average at least 11 players every week with less than 30 games? Maybe guys like Milera stop us getting smashed by another 10 points?

stkfc1
Club Player

Couldn't agree more.As the team gets better , Milera will get better. He's the cream when the cake is baked.

stkfc1
Club Player

Couldn't agree more.As the team gets better , Milera will get better. He's the cream when the cake is baked.

PurpleHayes
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

Plugger who are our other players like Milera? Quick and outside with good skills and some goal sense?

And what do you mean 'all go' - who do we replace them with? eg How do we know that our 4th pick #56 in the upcoming draft will be better? Especially when we have such a young side already?

We seem quick to want to delist everyone whos not a-grade, but no one seems to know who we are going to replace them with. Not every draft pick is going to be a billings, dunstan or acres, especially if they're not 1st rounders.

Dont get me wrong - I dont love Milera and if we had a better option then sure, but I think Milera must be rated internally to be played ahead of saunders and curren up forward at the moment.

i dont think Milera will ever be a superstar but he is serviceable with good skills and speed.
People say 'oh he's too soft and blah blah, but if he had supreme courage/strength/hardness he'd be a practically a complete player wouldnt he? All players are going to have their flaws/specialties, except the likes of ablett, judd etc..

I've seen Stanley and Lee drop those sorts of easy marks that Milera dropped v Eagles and no one has questioned their endeavour or courage.

Someone used Selwood and Milera to highlight the difference in courage - please thats just silly.

Obviously Milera is the best small fwd on our list at the moment. Until there's a better option, Im happy to keep playing him.

70s sainter
Club Player

8856brother wrote:Been amongst our best his last 2 games. Made one howler, as did many others including the captain. Give him a break. At least he can kick, unlike half the side. Why not discuss why Weller couldn't kick straight or why our so called good players fumble so bloody much.
Stuffed up an easy kick just prior to that in the forward pocket to amatage I think it was . Time to move on.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

PurpleHayes wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

Plugger who are our other players like Milera? Quick and outside with good skills and some goal sense?

And what do you mean 'all go' - who do we replace them with? eg How do we know that our 4th pick #56 in the upcoming draft will be better? Especially when we have such a young side already?

We seem quick to want to delist everyone whos not a-grade, but no one seems to know who we are going to replace them with. Not every draft pick is going to be a billings, dunstan or acres, especially if they're not 1st rounders.

Dont get me wrong - I dont love Milera and if we had a better option then sure, but I think Milera must be rated internally to be played ahead of saunders and curren up forward at the moment.

i dont think Milera will ever be a superstar but he is serviceable with good skills and speed.
People say 'oh he's too soft and blah blah, but if he had supreme courage/strength/hardness he'd be a practically a complete player wouldnt he? All players are going to have their flaws/specialties, except the likes of ablett, judd etc..

I've seen Stanley and Lee drop those sorts of easy marks that Milera dropped v Eagles and no one has questioned their endeavour or courage.

Someone used Selwood and Milera to highlight the difference in courage - please thats just silly.

Obviously Milera is the best small fwd on our list at the moment. Until there's a better option, Im happy to keep playing him.
I will try to answer for him....
Um quick... Saunders and Wright.

Skilful ..um Billings?

Outside...Farren?

Wow we are over run with them. I now see we must get rid of him and the rest of them too.

PurpleHayes
Club Player

Milera highlights one of the key predicaments that list managers face in the modern game.

All the peanuts that say ' we need to recruit quick mids, capable of winning their own ball and with elite kicking skills'...
Yep - and they're called gary ablett, chris judd and patrick dangerfield.
Simply - there aint many around! And certainly not outside of the first round of the draft.

So recruiters go and get players with good skills and are inside ball winners, say armitage.
Then peeps be like 'he's too slow, too one-dimensional, can't spread, offer nothing apart from the contested ball'.

Then recruiters go and get a player with good skills and good speed, like milera.
Then peeps be like 'he's too soft, cant win the contested ball, not enough courage etc..'

Understand that the complete player is rare.
So its then about recruiting a player who excels in one/two areas that will hopefully improve in another. ie has upside.

s*** canning a player for their flaws is easy - how about telling me who on our list has the upside to take their game to another level and where. Eg who would have thought goddard would end up a midfield general? He aint super quick.
What about Milne - who knew he was going to become the 38th all time goal kicker in afl history despite being undersized and unfit?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

PurpleHayes wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

I was talking ability wise. We have many and that is why we are no good. Some are young and have an excuse but many just arent up to it yound and old. Dont get your all go comment. I actually said they cant all go because we have to many of them. And im not quick to say delist everyone who is not a grade. That would be 40 if that is the case. I said Milera will probably stay but he lacks certaon skills to ever ne a consistent player in AFL footy and whilst we have many of those its going to be a very slow build back up. And ive seen many question both Lee and Stanley. Unsure they are good examples. We are getting smashed every game so its just common sense to suggest many on the list arent AFL standard.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

70s sainter wrote:
8856brother wrote:Been amongst our best his last 2 games. Made one howler, as did many others including the captain. Give him a break. At least he can kick, unlike half the side. Why not discuss why Weller couldn't kick straight or why our so called good players fumble so bloody much.
Stuffed up an easy kick just prior to that in the forward pocket to amatage I think it was . Time to move on.
Imagine a Saints player stuffing up a kick. He should be flogged. Think it might have been just after his beautiful kick to the captain to allow him to run into an open goal. Kicking is not his problem, it is many of our other more highly decorated players problem though.

Let me start this by saying I think Milera has a LOT of work to do to reach his potential and become a truly good player, but I think his game last night was one his most well rounded he's played. He appeared to apply good pressure whilst also breaking to the right places when our counter attacks were on. He's also quite good at judging the flight of the ball and turning a 50 50 into a win, which is impressive due to his light frame. Unfortunately he does have a habit of making some terrible errors, dropped marks, grubbed kicks, but hopefully with a few more games these inconsistencies will be ironed out somewhat, although probably never completely. Our play forward of the centre the other night was some of the best it has been for a while now, and I think he was a solid part of that, especially regarding his forward running spread towards the flanks.

He may not be a player of the future, and he is incredibly frustrating at times, but right now I think he deserves his spot in the team. He's trying, and I believe improving. Give him a few more games I say! He's got a pretty decent footy brain, and does have the potential to break a game open given a bit of luck going his way, which is different to say a Billings who doesn't need luck, just opportunity (I feel a massive player crush for The Bill coming on pretty heavy, hopefully he doesn't let me down!).

Also he does have a tendency to drop his head a bit and not always go in the hardest, but again, I think that's something he's working on. I'm sure he'd love to play like Glen Archer every week, unfortunately it's just not that simple.

Carn the saints

RODOS
Club Player

Let me start this by saying I think Milera has a LOT of work to do to reach his potential and become a truly good player, but I think his game last night was one his most well rounded he's played. He appeared to apply good pressure whilst also breaking to the right places when our counter attacks were on. He's also quite good at judging the flight of the ball and turning a 50 50 into a win, which is impressive due to his light frame. Unfortunately he does have a habit of making some terrible errors, dropped marks, grubbed kicks, but hopefully with a few more games these inconsistencies will be ironed out somewhat, although probably never completely. Our play forward of the centre the other night was some of the best it has been for a while now, and I think he was a solid part of that, especially regarding his forward running spread towards the flanks.

He may not be a player of the future, and he is incredibly frustrating at times, but right now I think he deserves his spot in the team. He's trying, and I believe improving. Give him a few more games I say! He's got a pretty decent footy brain, and does have the potential to break a game open given a bit of luck going his way, which is different to say a Billings who doesn't need luck, just opportunity (I feel a massive player crush for The Bill coming on pretty heavy, hopefully he doesn't let me down!).

Also he does have a tendency to drop his head a bit and not always go in the hardest, but again, I think that's something he's working on. I'm sure he'd love to play like Glen Archer every week, unfortunately it's just not that simple.

Carn the saints