jon anderson's top 20 draft picks..and now emma's

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/j ... 6966942629

"IN an AFL draft rated the most open in a decade, one performance over the coming weeks could determine which way recruiters go at the very top.

Maybe that performance took place last Friday, June 20, on the hallowed fields of Geelong Grammar where their full forward in Patrick McCartin booted five goals against Xavier College.

RE-LIVE LIVE CHAT WITH CHAMPION DATA’S U18s EXPERT DANIEL HOYNE ...

Those who witnessed the display said it had all the hallmarks of a budding AFL key forward, even if schoolboy football is rarely used as a strong guideline. But McCartin was opposed at times by a promising young Xavier College defender named Jack Whitehead.

McCartin will get the opportunity to further impress tomorrow when the U18 division 1 games are played at Simmonds Stadium in Geelong. As a Type 2 diabetic he requires five to six injections a day and must come to the bench during games to check his blood."
Last edited by stinger on Tue 01 Jul 2014 6:27pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: jon anderson's top 20 draft picks

stinger wrote:"IN an AFL draft rated the most open in a decade...
Not a great time to have the number one pick!

Verdun66

Have been thinking that for a while. But...we may not finish last. I know, I know....we've been rubbish, but signs were better last week. Picks 1-3 a lottery.

Ill say it again, pick one is worth more on the trade market than the draft this year. A Tyson type deal is the way to go

Bergs and Sting, I also agree with both your assessments. And if those assessments still hold true by draft time, then this is where the Pelican comes in. :twisted:

We try to wrangle a top three pick into two top 10-ish picks,
or maybe one top ten plus a top player,
or maybe we grab one of the Wogans best and brightest with said pick... and other pick exchanges (either way) to balance out said deal...

So ultimately, IMHO it doesn't have to matter if there's no absolute standout choice for us come draft time.

Bergs and Sting, I also agree with both your assessments. And if those assessments still hold true by draft time, then this is where the Pelican comes in. :twisted:

or maybe we grab one of the Wogans best and brightest with said pick... and other pick exchanges (either way) to balance out said deal...

So ultimately, IMHO it doesn't have to matter if there's no absolute standout choice for us come draft time.

Who the hell are the wogans?

St Ick wrote:Ill say it again, pick one is worth more on the trade market than the draft this year. A Tyson type deal is the way to go
I'd love that to be the case, but why would another team rate the pick so much higher than us?

Rosco

I am over trying to decipher his comedy. Just assume it not the saints.

Rosco

St Ick wrote:Ill say it again, pick one is worth more on the trade market than the draft this year. A Tyson type deal is the way to go
I'd love that to be the case, but why would another team rate the pick so much higher than us?
My thoughts exactly. Other teams will likely value the pick similarly to us. It is worth less in the trade market than last years #1.

thats right. It defies logic

magnifisaint wrote:
Well, pick one is usually no go. A team might rate someone as a clear standout still and they may rate him a heap more than we do, plus if you are going to lose a player why not let it be for the pick of the bunch. IMO, GWS may see McCartin as a better fit for Boyd and Cameron than they do Patton.

Either way, we should dangle the carrot

St Ick wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:
Well, pick one is usually no go. A team might rate someone as a clear standout still and they may rate him a heap more than we do, plus if you are going to lose a player why not let it be for the pick of the bunch. IMO, GWS may see McCartin as a better fit for Boyd and Cameron than they do Patton.

Either way, we should dangle the carrot

But we may do the same as well. Why do people suggest our club or the supporters know more than other clubs?

plugger66, it's not about our club knowing more than other clubs. Fact. Clubs rate draft talent differently. GWS rated Kelly higher than a contracted former pick 2 in Dom Tyson and also gave some change. Paul Roos has gone on record stating he doesn't rate high draft picks and prefers to trade them for establish players even if not as highly rated as the draft talent.

Old Mate wrote:plugger66, it's not about our club knowing more than other clubs. Fact. Clubs rate draft talent differently. GWS rated Kelly higher than a contracted former pick 2 in Dom Tyson and also gave some change. Paul Roos has gone on record stating he doesn't rate high draft picks and prefers to trade them for establish players even if not as highly rated as the draft talent.

Yes they do and our club may want to keep our pick because we reckon its a great draft.

Old Mate wrote:plugger66, it's not about our club knowing more than other clubs. Fact. Clubs rate draft talent differently. GWS rated Kelly higher than a contracted former pick 2 in Dom Tyson and also gave some change. Paul Roos has gone on record stating he doesn't rate high draft picks and prefers to trade them for establish players even if not as highly rated as the draft talent.

Yes they do and our club may want to keep our pick because we reckon its a great draft.
True. However I feel clubs see an opportunity to recruit second-third year talent from GWS and that increases the chances of high picks being traded.

I know you disagree as we've had this discussion before but if we had pick 1 in this draft I would trade it for Jon Patton and pick 20, if GWS were that way inclined and I were the Pelican. I would probably trade pick 1 for Patton alone TBH.

Rosco

Yeah, but not sure Patton is on the table, and if he is, the question would have to be: why?

As we've seen with GWS's recruiting strategy they move on talented players to secure further talent from the draft and spread their age demographic which in turn should lengthen their 'premiership window'. And Patton has been rumoured to want out of GWS. But yes, largely only a hypothetical.

Rosco

They have been lengthening the window, but they won't keep doing it forever. Reckon Patton is looking pretty good, and good bigs are hard to find. Not sure why they'd give him up for #1 in a draft with no clear #1 prospect.

Obviously a few dominos would have to fall such as he requesting a trade. Like a said, largely a hypothetical

Rosco

That would be different. We can hope.

Hard to work out isn't it Pluggs(?) Western Sydney bogans = Wogans. (I like it, wish it was my creation, but sadly no. And my apologies to the fellow Saintsationalist who first used that term, for my not being able to credit you.)

Oh, and Pluggs. A little respect please. Being a proper noun, 'Wogans' deserves to have a capital 'W' too. :P

1965 Saint

If he's having multiple injections every day, that would be Type 1 diabetes not type 2

Five to six injections a day? Would that make him number one priority for Essendon? 

Hard to work out isn't it Pluggs(?) Western Sydney bogans = Wogans. (I like it, wish it was my creation, but sadly no. And my apologies to the fellow Saintsationalist who first used that term, for my not being able to credit you.)

Oh, and Pluggs. A little respect please. Being a proper noun, 'Wogans' deserves to have a capital 'W' too. :P

You can speak how you like Dave but it makes it easier reading if use real names for clubs. GWS isnt that hard to write.

I agree with plugg, Dave. Write it like this: GWoganS. See? Much better...lol