Newnes vs Ray

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saint wagga
Club Player

Newnes vs Ray

The comparison between these two players is almost a greater metaphor for the conundrum in our list - similar builds, strengths, weaknesses (IMO). One is younger, has more upside (potential to become a better version of Ray), but last season and this season, if I was picking a grandfinal side, Ray would still get my selection nod as he's better overhead and probably has a bigger tank and harder body right here right now...i can think of a couple of bunch of examples like this and shows how hard the juggling act must be and feel like as the coaching dept...

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Newnes vs Ray

It's a pretty easy choice for me. We are building for the future. One is among our best young talents, the other is likely to be shown the door at season's end.

Their career averages are almost identical yet one is six years younger.

I think Jack Newnes (39 games) is more likely to reach 200 career games than Farren Ray (189 games).

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Yes, not an easy decision. One consideration is that the Club cannot afford to be pasted by 100 points each week, so guys with Farren's experience are having to be retained. Ensuring that the younger guys get a fair amount of game time is also important,

If we simply play the young guys 100% of the time and get pasted, most of the Members would vote with their feet and not go to the footy for 2-3 years!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote:It's a pretty easy choice for me. We are building for the future. One is among our best young talents, the other is likely to be shown the door at season's end.
Ray's 28 so still got a few years left of good football in him. I reckon he's a seasoned professional footballer and we should hang on to him. Anyway, why does it need to be one or the other?

savatage
SS Life Member

One can kick, one cannot. Easy choice if deciding between both.

Blake Acres will be better than both of them & will have the Farren Ray role covered in a couple of years anyway.

Saint wagga
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
Beno88 wrote:It's a pretty easy choice for me. We are building for the future. One is among our best young talents, the other is likely to be shown the door at season's end.
Ray's 28 so still got a few years left of good football in him. I reckon he's a seasoned professional footballer and we should hang on to him. Anyway, why does it need to be one or the other?
No No, doesn't need to be one or the other, that wasn't the point of my thread, apologies...just felt it highlighted the tough descisions our coaches are facing when it comes to selection and development, I thought these guys highlighted it. Certainly this season they've been in our best 22. Just more a general discussion point about transitioning a list, maintaining experience but eventually having to make a call...

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

i'd rather play both ahead of CJ and th he brings to the team. at least Ray has good gamese alledged benefits

Munga
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:One can kick, one cannot. Easy choice if deciding between both.
Respectfully disagree with you, and agree with the OP. To say Newnes and Ray are similar players is bang on correct IMO. Both can kick low hard balls, both can butcher the ball by foot. Ray has a better mark and footy brain (experience).
I'm not going to bag the bloke, I just think Newnes is very overrated on here. Maybe I'm a bit harsh, but I think of a premiership 22, he would be on the border of making it.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Saint wagga wrote:The comparison between these two players is almost a greater metaphor for the conundrum in our list - similar builds, strengths, weaknesses (IMO). One is younger, has more upside (potential to become a better version of Ray), but last season and this season, if I was picking a grandfinal side, Ray would still get my selection nod as he's better overhead and probably has a bigger tank and harder body right here right now...i can think of a couple of bunch of examples like this and shows how hard the juggling act must be and feel like as the coaching dept...

farren fay was pick 4 in the 2003 national draft......fell out of favour with their sook of a coach....

...saw an interesting statistic on fox during the week....they were talking about which players had the best win/loss ratio in each club...i the player whose inclusion who almost always guaranteed your club a better chance of winning than losing

...our lucky charm?????....no not roo....but you guessed it....farren ray..

...if newnes turns out as good no one will be more pleased than me...but we will have to wait a few years to properly judge them both against each other...
Last edited by stinger on Fri 04 Jul 2014 11:44pm, edited 1 time in total.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saint6709
Club Player

Munga wrote:
Respectfully disagree with you, and agree with the OP. To say Newnes and Ray are similar players is bang on correct IMO. Both can kick low hard balls, both can butcher the ball by foot. Ray has a better mark and footy brain (experience).
I'm not going to bag the bloke, I just think Newnes is very overrated on here. Maybe I'm a bit harsh, but I think of a premiership 22, he would be on the border of making it.
I agree with Munga - but he does look to have potential - hopefully anther 10 games and a good pre season and he will improve some more

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:...saw an interesting statistic on fox during the week....they were talking about which players had the best win/loss ratio in each club...i the player whose inclusion who almost always guarantedd your club a better chance of winning than losing
"Guaranteed"? That betrays a fundamental misunderstanding of the difference between correlation and causation. I'm not surprised Fox Footy are that stupid, but I am disappointed in you sting.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Blake Acres will be better than both of them & will have the Farren Ray role covered in a couple of years anyway.
I don't know what Blake Acres disposal will be like as he develops, what i do know is it was NO better than Ray's in Blake's first game.

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
savatage
SS Life Member

bobmurray wrote:

I don't know what Blake Acres disposal will be like as he develops, what i do know is it was NO better than Ray's in Blake's first game.
Yeah I guess a 145 point loss in your afl debut is an ideal opportunity to show your skill set.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:
bobmurray wrote:

Yeah I guess a 145 point loss in your afl debut is an ideal opportunity to show your skill set.
it is what it is, what does the margin have to do with disposal quality, let's wait and see what he's got rather than getting starry eyed over where he went in the draft...

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
stinger wrote:...saw an interesting statistic on fox during the week....they were talking about which players had the best win/loss ratio in each club...i the player whose inclusion who almost always guarantedd your club a better chance of winning than losing
"Guaranteed"? That betrays a fundamental misunderstanding of the difference between correlation and causation. I'm not surprised Fox Footy are that stupid, but I am disappointed in you sting.
:cry: :oops:

:wink:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
savatage
SS Life Member

bobmurray wrote:
savatage wrote:
bobmurray wrote:

it is what it is, what does the margin have to do with disposal quality, let's wait and see what he's got rather than getting starry eyed over where he went in the draft...
Lol I've seen him play enough to know he's going to be a jet.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:
bobmurray wrote:
savatage wrote:
bobmurray wrote:

Lol I've seen him play enough to know he's going to be a jet.
I hope you are right. He def looks promising.