What Roo needs.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: What Roo needs.

Scollop wrote:
plugger66 wrote: I will say it again. Why cant these other forwards like Stanley be the main men at sandy. Rooy isnt playing and its a pretty poor comp compared to the AFL. We would love to think Rooy is the problem but the problem to me stands out like dogs balls. They just arent up to AFL footy at the moment.When was the last great forward that went back to to the backline? And why do forwards need development but not the backline?
Why do you compare Rooy with Stanley. Does Rooy go into the ruck? Stanley is a back up ruckmen who can play a good role as a second tall and he's not a top 5 or even a top 20 draft pick is he? I'm willing to cut Stanley some slack and after 50 games he's developing into a valuable contributor.

Rooy should be accountable because his attitude on field is not that of a leader who is thinking about team first. First of all I reckon Rooy played poorly against the Tigers. Secondly - and most importantly - his body language warrants that he goes back to the VFL!! At least he'd be used to that standard of delivery from the mids. It won't happen though. Maybe that's a good theory from you, but it only applies to everyone else doesn't it!?

I reckon the Hawks with Hodgey playing VFL and Carlton with Judd playing VFL were calculated decisions that weren't just for the sake of the individuals fitness. The clubs sent a powerful message to all their players. I know those blokes were coming back from injuries, but I wonder how the Saints would handle Rooy's ego if he was asked to play with the VFL boys.

As we transition to focusing on development and opportunity and experimenting on the future I understand that it is difficult for fans and for our senior players. Rooy is a legend of the Saints and to the fans he is a hero, but coaches and footy departments who practice hero worshipping aren't going to win us any flags

I reckon both the hawks and calrton played Hodge and Judd in the seconds for only one reason and thats fitness. Nothing to do with sending a message. We played lenny there last season so there goes that statement. Who the hell is comparing Roo to Stanley. Where did you come up with that? People have said Roo must play elsewhere so our other KPP get more of a go. i am saying Roo doesnt play at sandy so why dont these KPP do well at Sandy. More often than not they have struggled this season at Sandy so it has nothing to do with Roo or where he plays but more to do with those players ability at the moment. Hopefully that will change. Cant stop laughing at Roo going back to the VFL because of body language. Typical no respect supporters once players arent as good as they were even though he is still clearly in our best 3 players.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Don't worry, I have a mountain of respect for him...and for the rest of our blokes - and for the club. I front up year after year with my membership and my families memberships, but this isn't the amateurs. His body language is important and he's got to stop focusing on himself. If he wants to remain as captain in 2015 and leave a legacy for the players coming through his overiding KPI's shouldn't be how many marks he tallies up or how many goals he kicks.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Not sure if this was posted elsewhere, but here is Lloyd's (and, reputedly, Richo's) view of Roo's value up the wing.

I know many won't read because of the author, but what he says makes some sense to me.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... zsvto.html

Sorry, by Richo I mean of the yellow and black species, not the coach.

Always loyal
sainters85
Club Player

What Roo needs?
Good delivery

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

sainters85 wrote:What Roo needs?
Good delivery
As was the point of the original OP. Stanley would be much better with some of that as well.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I know hes only 19 and his body aint ready and hes two years of AFL level but we might as well get 5 AFL games into Wright this year then finish his season off in August. Rest him up for a few weeks. and then get him back in to another pre-season in October.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SemperFidelis wrote:Not sure if this was posted elsewhere, but here is Lloyd's (and, reputedly, Richo's) view of Roo's value up the wing.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... zsvto.html

Sorry, by Richo I mean of the yellow and black species, not the coach.

Riewoldt has had the ball kicked to him 126 times inside 50 and the next most used target has been Stanley at 39 times. That is unhealthy
Those are damning stats and I agree with Lloyd and Richo. Move him to the wing.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Having Nick there atm as a forward makes us too predictable. Nick's move to CHB was one of the main reasons we got back into the game in the 2nd qtr today. The eyes were lowered and the i50's weren't wasted like they usually are. The opposition were confused and couldn't double team or block the lead of the main go to forward.

Sure we butchered the delivery a few times, but that wasn't the reason Carlton kicked 14 out of the last 17 goals in the second half. Having Nick there atm as a forward makes us too predictable. In the second half I thought our mids were smashed and we just couldn't control the footy. Turned it over and couldn't maintain possession in all positions on the ground.

Nick was interviewed post match by Micky Roberts on MMM radio and Roo highlighted that his body language was poor last week. He acknowledged that as a team they all made mistakes. Roo wasn't perfect with his pasing either and he mentioned that. Also he said that as a team the effort was poor after half time. Most fans and commentators seem to be more forgiving of Rooys mistakes because of his work ethic and I suppose that's where the man has gained the respect of his peers

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

Scollop wrote:Having Nick there atm as a forward makes us too predictable. Nick's move to CHB was one of the main reasons we got back into the game in the 2nd qtr today. The eyes were lowered and the i50's weren't wasted like they usually are. The opposition were confused and couldn't double team or block the lead of the main go to forward.

Sure we butchered the delivery a few times, but that wasn't the reason Carlton kicked 14 out of the last 17 goals in the second half. Having Nick there atm as a forward makes us too predictable. In the second half I thought our mids were smashed and we just couldn't control the footy. Turned it over and couldn't maintain possession in all positions on the ground.

Nick was interviewed post match by Micky Roberts on MMM radio and Roo highlighted that his body language was poor last week. He acknowledged that as a team they all made mistakes. Roo wasn't perfect with his pasing either and he mentioned that. Also he said that as a team the effort was poor after half time. Most fans and commentators seem to be more forgiving of Rooys mistakes because of his work ethic and I suppose that's where the man has gained the respect of his peers

Well his body language today was dreadful.

What was going between him and Stanley on the wing? It was very unbecoming of a captain quite frankly.If you're going to berate and lecture a team mate do it off the ground and not in view of everyone.

#gosaintas
Club Player

Sick of Roo and his pleading and sooking. Time for a fortnight at Sandringham if he can't find some self control. He is letting the club down big time.

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

#gosaintas wrote:Sick of Roo and his pleading and sooking. Time for a fortnight at Sandringham if he can't find some self control. He is letting the club down big time.
Agreed. I couldn't believe the interaction between him and Stanley.

Schneider standing in the centre directing the team in the last quarter had more thought behind it that the stuff Roo was directing at Stanley.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:Sick of Roo and his pleading and sooking. Time for a fortnight at Sandringham if he can't find some self control. He is letting the club down big time.

Stupid post. A fortnight at sandy. Serious where do we get that stuff. Michael Voss when captain of Brisabne said he demanded players were dropped if they didnt go hard enough in his opinion. Rooy has little go and people get upset. bet the players couldnt give a stuff.

#gosaintas
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

Stupid post. A fortnight at sandy. Serious where do we get that stuff. Michael Voss when captain of Brisabne said he demanded players were dropped if they didnt go hard enough in his opinion. Rooy has little go and people get upset. bet the players couldnt give a stuff.

Stupid post. Roo is supposed to be showing the kids how to play by example. For two years now he has been an umpire pleading, hand waving sook. Worse than Richo ever was. He is turning into a disgrace. Time to play for Sandy.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Stupid post. Roo is supposed to be showing the kids how to play by example. For two years now he has been an umpire pleading, hand waving sook. Worse than Richo ever was. He is turning into a disgrace. Time to play for Sandy.

Well you will be wrong and for a change I will be right. Will never happen especially for the reasons you suggest. Sandy. Seriously.

#gosaintas
Club Player

If he is challenged by the coach and refuses to play as instructed, what else do you do with him. He needs to be told to play the ball on it's merits, let the umps umpire the game and assist his less experienced and lower paid teammates. Otherwise what? The coach resigns? Of course Sandy is where he should go. Or retirement.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:If he is challenged by the coach and refuses to play as instructed, what else do you do with him. He needs to be told to play the ball on it's merits, let the umps umpire the game and assist his less experienced and lower paid teammates. Otherwise what? The coach resigns? Of course Sandy is where he should go. Or retirement.

How do you anything that you just said then. Well he isnt going to Sandy and he isnt retiring so you will fail to get your wish. Roo at Sandy. Funny.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

He needs it to not be all about him.

It's not his fault, it's all about him.

Someone needs to make it all about the team, I fear Scott tried, to no avail.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:He needs it to not be all about him.

It's not his fault, it's all about him.

Someone needs to make it all about the team, I fear Scott tried, to no avail.

I think you keep getting this SW thing all wrong. he lost players, young and old, and I also think you have got Rooy sprays wrong. It seems people on here take it personally. Reckon the players couldnt give a rats to be honest. And pretty sure it isnt all about him. if it was he wouldnt be at the club. The easy thing to do would have been to leave like Dal and BJ did.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

It's suffocating...

The commentary today was going on and on.

I'm surprised nobody else (saints fans) pick up on it?

Why am I so out of sync?

I stress, I'm not being disrespectful, he is a champion...probably too much so for his own good.