An Insight

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Legendary
Club Player

Re: An Insight

Great post.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

As a person who works in a technical field I've seen a lot of spreadsheets that produce a lot of crap results.
You know the mantra...bulls*** in = bulls*** out. That equation always holds true.
But there can be some good ones.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:As a person who works in a technical field I've seen a lot of spreadsheets that produce a lot of crap results.
You know the mantra...bulls*** in = bulls*** out. That equation always holds true.

And equally without modern software including spreadsheets buildings would not be as tall, planes as big and fast, cars as safe...etc etc...

Spreadsheets don't produce crap results, people do.

If Pelchen has the right strategy his spreadsheet is just helping with the process. It is not the process.

So the nub is whether his analysis and conclusions are sound. Time will tell.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Mon 07 Jul 2014 8:33pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Thanks Tony.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:As a person who works in a technical field I've seen a lot of spreadsheets that produce a lot of crap results.

And equally without modern software including spreadsheets buildings would not be as tall, planes as big and fast, cars as safe...etc etc...

If Pelchen has the right strategy his spreadsheet is just helping with the process. It is not the process.

So the nub is whether is analysis and conclusions are sound. Time will tell.
Exactly what I said. The data has to be input manually which is the LHS pf the equation.

Austinnn
Club Player

tony74 wrote:Both Rhys and Spencer have one glaring weakness, some of you know what this is and I won't publicise it here. But it needs to be worked on.
Athlete's Foot?
Blondes?

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

with respect to the OP could not agree more than with Junction and Bunk, if it all going to revolve around a spread sheet then I am really worried.

there are so many things that go into making a great team and some of that is an x factor that no spreadsheet will ever show

exhibit a - s.daw @ hawthorn, not sure if he would have ticked many excel boxes, but won a gf with one quarter
exhibit b - bloods culture, that does not just happen, it takes and took a set of individuals from differnet backgrounds and attributes
exhibit c - s milne, was it beveridge who saw something and the rest is history

a great coach should not need spreadsheets (alone) to build a team

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
SMS
Club Player

If we pick up McCartin it will be the worst number 1 pick of all time.

There are only GUN midfielders in this draft so pick one of them. Do Not pick a KPP.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

The spreadsheet or formula for lack of a better word is not as simple as some on here may presume. It's not simply we need 6 left footers, 5 guys over 200cm, 10 under the age of 20 etc,etc. it's all about percentages and is extremely involved. It rates parental input, childhood standards and even bloodlines. It's not just an excel spreadsheet. Anyway who has even been given a small glimpse into the workings of it, and many long term members have, can see the relevance in it. Whether it works who knows but I reckon we have had 142 different plans in our 142 years and only 1 worked. Worth a shot I reckon.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:
The spreadsheet or formula for lack of a better word is not as simple as some on here may presume. It's not simply we need 6 left footers, 5 guys over 200cm, 10 under the age of 20 etc,etc. it's all about percentages and is extremely involved. It rates parental input, childhood standards and even bloodlines. It's not just an excel spreadsheet. Anyway who has even been given a small glimpse into the workings of it, and many long term members have, can see the relevance in it. Whether it works who knows but I reckon we have had 142 different plans in our 142 years and only 1 worked. Worth a shot I reckon.
Tony, thanks for posting. I'm sure you have managed to lift a few spirits, and the pooh poohers don't worry about them.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

tony74 wrote:
sounds like a heap of consultants developing something to get themselves more money and more contracts

are we a football club of humans or a bloodstock agency

and by the way the race track is littered with champions who were bred terribly and vice versa

and what do they base the percentages on, where is the field work for this, oh thats right east germany

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Thanks Tony74, good read.

noob
Club Player

terry smith rules wrote:
tony74 wrote:
sounds like a heap of consultants developing something to get themselves more money and more contracts

are we a football club of humans or a bloodstock agency

and by the way the race track is littered with champions who were bred terribly and vice versa

and what do they base the percentages on, where is the field work for this, oh thats right east germany
Sounds like moneyball.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I think many on here getting off track with spreadsheet talk - what Tony has indicated is there is a very detailed plan and the club isn't deviating. That's good to know as long as we aren't 1 mans play thing and checks/balances are in place eg we have a Board strong enough to reign in a Pelchen if that's what the whole system felt was needed.

We has a weak Board when Thomas ran the joint and a weak Board I suspect who muffed the Lyon debacle

Thanks for the insight Tony

“Yeah….nah””
The Craw
Club Player

I am an excel nerd..... it is a very important tool for my work.

I use it for many tasks from demand planning to forecasting.

One of the most important analysis i use it for is rankings. Suppliers, customers, products, commodities, categories etc.

With indepth and selective criteria it ranks from 1 backwards and the results always surprise because you dont just look at the obvious. It has increased the business profitability by 10% over the past 2 years without sales growth (which in the industry I work in and current environment has been invaluable). We have focused on the suppliers, customers, product etc that have performed well in the rankings.

I can't see why this kind of technique couldn't be applied to a team.

Not Craw, CRAW!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Spreadsheet makes sense. The question is how much you weight each variable.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
ChelseaGuy
Club Player

I guess the discomfort people feel when a spreadsheet is used for the analysis is that it remove the intuitive component and reduces intangibles to mere numbers. I understand the use of spreadsheets to analyse data and have used them frequently, however I also understand the scepticism that people have when hearing it's all on there. I presume this is part of the arsenal that is being used by Pelchen and co to measure the list and potential replacements.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
maverick
Saintsational Legend

The Craw wrote:I am an excel nerd..... it is a very important tool for my work.

One of the most important analysis i use it for is rankings. Suppliers, customers, products, commodities, categories etc.

With indepth and selective criteria it ranks from 1 backwards and the results always surprise because you dont just look at the obvious. It has increased the business profitability by 10% over the past 2 years without sales growth (which in the industry I work in and current environment has been invaluable). We have focused on the suppliers, customers, product etc that have performed well in the rankings.

Why are you forecasting on a spreadsheet?
Spend some money on software...

The Craw
Club Player

maverick wrote:

Because I also need that intuitive factor :wink:

Not Craw, CRAW!
maverick
Saintsational Legend

The Craw wrote:
maverick wrote:

Because I also need that intuitive factor :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

asaint
Club Player

Thanks, been feeling despondent.

resaintlee
Club Player

Teflon wrote:I think many on here getting off track with spreadsheet talk - what Tony has indicated is there is a very detailed plan and the club isn't deviating.

Thanks for the insight Tony
Thanks Tony.
I agree the talk of spreadsheets seems to be getting in the road of your point that the man who is employed to have an extensive plan for our Club's future playing group actually does, and that you have seen evidence of it.

My concern is that we won't again have to pay twice in a year for grand final ticket.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:
Instead of spreadsheet you should have said database.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

As long as we don't find out that it's a dartboard, I don't care what we call it ...

Always loyal