Colorado Trips - waste of time and money?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Colorado Trips - waste of time and money?

plugger66 wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Well im not going to talk about looks but has you must be one handsome dude I suppose you can. They would blank me out on TV.
The self-effacing nature of your post doesn't hide its passive aggressive tone.

Not sure why you would feel the need to have a go at my looks or my attempt to add a bit of levity to the conversation by breaking out the term "pretty smart". Maybe it's something about small things and small minds.

Anyway, I do not consider Mark Thompson an attractive man...He certainly wouldn't make me turn.

Carry on...

You really have no idea about me but you are 100% wrong on what I said. Anyway think what you like. You are a very angry person on here anyway and wrong. And try and smile occassionally. Again I dont know you at all but smiling would seem a little hard. Its a friggin joke.
Right back at ya!
The bottom line is that you didn't need to get personal and yet you did.
You say "its a friggen joke"...Well that's exactly what my post was. But it was not at the expense of another poster. And that, my fellow poster, is the difference between you and I. I can smile and crack a joke without insulting another poster in the process. Let's see you have a try!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Well im not going to talk about looks but has you must be one handsome dude I suppose you can. They would blank me out on TV.
The self-effacing nature of your post doesn't hide its passive aggressive tone.

Not sure why you would feel the need to have a go at my looks or my attempt to add a bit of levity to the conversation by breaking out the term "pretty smart". Maybe it's something about small things and small minds.

Anyway, I do not consider Mark Thompson an attractive man...He certainly wouldn't make me turn.

Carry on...

You really have no idea about me but you are 100% wrong on what I said. Anyway think what you like. You are a very angry person on here anyway and wrong. And try and smile occassionally. Again I dont know you at all but smiling would seem a little hard. Its a friggin joke.
Right back at ya!
The bottom line is that you didn't need to get personal and yet you did.
You say "its a friggen joke"...Well that's exactly what my post was. But it was not at the expense of another poster. And that, my fellow poster, is the difference between you and I. I can smile and crack a joke without insulting another poster in the process. Let's see you have a try!

Not at the expence of another if i was having a go at you but I know what I said and it wasnt having a go at you but it seems you know my mind better than me. You dont like being challenged and you are that one eyed you think my post is personal and yours isnt. Care to explain the term about small things and small minds. Yep that isnt personal but me saying you must be a handsome dude is. Yep your words in your last post suggest you are the good boy but I reckon an unbiased person would say you are talking crap.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

My original joke was NOT at your expense. My response to your post was...I have no qualms with that approach.
I quoted exactly what you posted. The inference is as plain as day. And that is that unless I am Fabio I have no right to have a go at another man's appearance.
I'm done with this inane back and forth with you.
I'll let you have the last word like you always do.
Make it count!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:My original joke was NOT at your expense. My response to your post was...I have no qualms with that approach.
I quoted exactly what you posted. The inference is as plain as day. And that is that unless I am Fabio I have no right to have a go at another man's appearance.
I'm done with this inane back and forth with you.
I'll let you have the last word like you always do.
Make it count!

ok.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I seem to remember reading somewhere that there are AFL teams, the Pies was one of them I think, that are training up in Cairns now as part of their pre season training. I think there was some scientific claim that there are some type of benifit to training in a tropical environment...anyone else hear that, I'll see if I can find the article.

In any case, I agree that the Colarado trip does not present significantly more value on performance gain compared with a program that could be run in our own backyard.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Cairnsman wrote:I seem to remember reading somewhere that there are AFL teams, the Pies was one of them I think, that are training up in Cairns now as part of their pre season training. I think there was some scientific claim that there are some type of benifit to training in a tropical environment...anyone else hear that, I'll see if I can find the article.

In any case, I agree that the Colarado trip does not present significantly more value on performance gain compared with a program that could be run in our own backyard.
Bit of info on heat training here;
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-12-10/some-like-it-hot

and a more detailed article here. I particularly enjoyed the first paragraph;
http://www.runnersworld.com/race-traini ... ehydration

I heard an interview with Finnis recently (can't remember where - sorry) in which he questioned the benefit of altitude training camps relative to cost.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I was never sold on the Arizona-Colorado-wherever trip for training. Seems like a lot of resources to be expending, when we don't have the finances for such exercises.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
FQF
SS Life Member

Whatever Port does, copy them. They have the guru in training and fitness - why not use that info to our advantage?

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Colorado off & heading to Darwin I hear.

Heat & humidity training. Darren Burgess' Guru of Fitness status continues!

matrix
Saintsational Legend

im with the NZ training thing
they can run around the mountains like they did in lord of the rings
then back up to some humidity in oz and run run run run ya bastards

save the coin imo

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

people are saying save some coin on doing it here i wonder just out of curiosity how much would actually be saved say the cost of a camp in Colorado vs a camp in Far North Qld ??
just doing a quick comparison for one night hotel stay in Denver is at an average about $200AUD in Cairns about $250AUD
food costs would say at a guess be a fair bit cheaper in the USA
transport around the city would be cheaper in the USA

so realistically its only the flights that would be the bigger expence to the club and considering last year the flights were covered by Virgin i reckona training camp in Qld would be as expensive as one in Denver but without the wow factor the players would have got from being in another country

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Totally agree with the sentiments of the thread - particularly with the club struggling financially!

The altitude training has shown no obvious gains and if they want a team bonding session take them on a campjng trip up the Murray for a week!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Collingwood were great disciples of the "altitude training" in Arizona, but in 2007, 2008 & 2009 this tactic didn't appear to do them much good as far as finals footy goes. Now some would argue that their flag in 2010 had a lot to do with Arizona, well (IMHO) the flag had more to do with the recruitment of Ball and Jolly than any trips to Arizona.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)