Possible GWS unrest

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Possible GWS unrest

Zed wrote:
jonesy wrote:I reckon it would take pick 1 and Armo
Don't understand why we would entertain that.

You are saying Boyd is of equal or more value than Petracca and Armo combined. Doesn't compute.

I'm saying that's what gws will ask, not what I think it's worth. Be highly surprised if they did a sideways trade for Boyd , they will want to win on it

Bring back the Lockett era
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Unsure how we get Boyd. matter of fact we cant. I would trade pick one for a player but I stand by what I have been saying and that is GWS surely want proven players and not another draft pick. Whats the point in developing these guys for 3 years and then trading for a pick and starting again. I think GWS will be trying to push their players he may want to leave to clubs that can give them players. We arent in that position because we dont have a player to give.

PJ
SS Life Member

I think it's GWS's strategy to top up every year with high end talent. They will lose a couple each year but it's about turning over players to get improvement in their choices. They'll also try and get in experienced players as part of their strategy - Shaw, Hunt last year.

In saying that Boyd is one they'd probably like to keep but you never know how valuable Petracca may be to them if they lose Shiel.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:I think it's GWS's strategy to top up every year with high end talent. They will lose a couple each year but it's about turning over players to get improvement in their choices. They'll also try and get in experienced players as part of their strategy - Shaw, Hunt last year.

In saying that Boyd is one they'd probably like to keep but you never know how valuable Petracca may be to them if they lose Shiel.

I dont even think under the rules Boyd can go anywhere and topping up every year wont win you games. You just become a breeding ground for other clubs. They need to start winning or players will leave very quickly.

PJ
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
PJ wrote:I think it's GWS's strategy to top up every year with high end talent. They will lose a couple each year but it's about turning over players to get improvement in their choices. They'll also try and get in experienced players as part of their strategy - Shaw, Hunt last year.

I dont even think under the rules Boyd can go anywhere and topping up every year wont win you games. You just become a breeding ground for other clubs. They need to start winning or players will leave very quickly.
Every club has to top up every year you can't go without drafting young players. They just have the advantage of being able to pick up very high end talent.

I'm not sure what you're meaning with he can't go anywhere - is there a rue that disallows new draftees being traded?

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Other than a key defender, I can't see why GWS would want to trade with anyone. They have players entering that 21 to 23 age bracket soon with 50 or more games behind them. Most of their youngsters are now physically developed. If I was in charge of their recruiting I would simply keep drafting talented youngsters.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Every club has to top up every year you can't go without drafting young players. They just have the advantage of being able to pick up very high end talent.

I'm not sure what you're meaning with he can't go anywhere - is there a rue that disallows new draftees being traded?

I actually think there was a rule brought in. In the back of my mind I think they did that to stop players getting delisted after one year and it may also prevents trading a player after one year. Could be wrong but it wont matter as he wont be going anywhere next season. Yes i know every club tops up through the draft but they already have a top 4 draft pick and an end of first round draft pick so im suggesting they would want proven players more than another draft pick as they will already have 3 in the top 22.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:I'm not so sure there isn't a clear no#1. I think it's the discussion around KPPs that is muddying the waters or draft for needs with the knowledge that KPPs take longer to develop.

What would the criteria be for overall best player?

Petracca is the next Chris Judd. To me a clear number one pick.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: I actually think there was a rule brought in. In the back of my mind I think they did that to stop players getting delisted after one year and it may also prevents trading a player after one year. Could be wrong but it wont matter as he wont be going anywhere next season. Yes i know every club tops up through the draft but they already have a top 4 draft pick and an end of first round draft pick so im suggesting they would want proven players more than another draft pick as they will already have 3 in the top 22.
How is it that they will have 3 in the top 22? Where does their pick at the end of the first round come from? Are they still getting priority picks or other advantages at the draft?

sainterryan

There is a massive assumption here that we will have pick 1, another win like last week and we could be looking at pick 3 or 4, GWS still a very big chance to have pick 1

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

sainterryan wrote:There is a massive assumption here that we will have pick 1, another win like last week and we could be looking at pick 3 or 4, GWS still a very big chance to have pick 1
We can still lose all our remaining games and still not get pick 1. We are less than 2% behind Brisbane now. We could well be off the bottom in a few hours.

SS Life Member

Initiate tank then :P

Boyd cup coming a year late.

IF Mccartin is top of our draft board then I would do a straight swap 1 for Boyd. If petrecca is top priority then it's more complicated and would do a bundled trade for a couple of their mids.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

We only have 2 decent mids in the mid age bracket in Armo and Steven, and you want to trade one of them as a steak knife?

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:

We only have 2 decent mids in the mid age bracket in Armo and Steven, and you want to trade one of them as a steak knife?
No, no where have I said I want to trade for Boyd. I am saying what gws will ask for him. They won't do a straight swap for pick 1, they will want a sweetener.

Me personally, I'd be targeting midfielders

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:
sainterryan wrote:There is a massive assumption here that we will have pick 1, another win like last week and we could be looking at pick 3 or 4, GWS still a very big chance to have pick 1
We can still lose all our remaining games and still not get pick 1. We are less than 2% behind Brisbane now. We could well be off the bottom in a few hours.

Lions 53 up already, think we might stay on the bottom for another week

older saint
SS Life Member

We need KPP forwards. GWS are not trading Boyd, they have a big 3 Bod, Cameron and Patton for the future ( which also still provides them 2 if 1 decides to go home ). GWs looking for experienced role players to add - Gilbert probably the only guy we have which they want and we are willing to give up.

If line ball pick McCartin, if Petrecca clearly the best pick him but risk in that relying on Lee, Stanley and White for the future with Stanley the only one i can see playing 100 plus games for the club

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:
8856brother wrote:

Lions 53 up already, think we might stay on the bottom for another week
Yeah Suns insipid. We might get them next week if they play like this again. They have taken 3 marks and are behind by 100 possies and 10 goals half way through the 2nd. Staggering really.

Saintsational Legend

Saints are a big chance now to beat the Suns.

GWS last 5 games are: Tigers, North, Dees, Pies, Dogs

Dees last 5 games are: :Lions ,Hawks, Giants, Eagles, North

Lions now 4 points clear have: Dees, Crows, Pies, Freo, Cats

If we knock off the Suns, the Dees vs GWS game could decide the spoon in a threeway with us and with the Saints having the worst % at present.

I have a feeling that GWS will take the spoon with Saints 17th. With all the big forwards GWS have that would mean that they would be odds on to take Petracca.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Scoop
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:Saints are a big chance now to beat the Suns.

GWS last 5 games are: Tigers, North, Dees, Pies, Dogs

Dees last 5 games are: :Lions ,Hawks, Giants, Eagles, North

Lions now 4 points clear have: Dees, Crows, Pies, Freo, Cats

If we knock off the Suns, the Dees vs GWS game could decide the spoon in a threeway with us and with the Saints having the worst % at present.

I have a feeling that GWS will take the spoon with Saints 17th. With all the big forwards GWS have that would mean that they would be odds on to take Petracca.
Agree with that....

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
Andreous
Club Player

It would be terrible is GWS (who have soooo much talent on their books) end up with Petracca!!!!

Their game against the cats showed some really promising signs. I think they will win one more. We could get up over the suns (though less likely up there) which would mean that it comes down to us and the Dees for Pick 1.