Who will we trade in?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Who will we trade in?

Dave McNamara wrote:
dragit wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:We do not want Mitch Clarke!.

Two reasons: matter of principle and matter of maths.

1/ I'm dead-set biased against him after what he did to the Teddies. They compasionately let him go back to Perth coz he pleaded homesickness, yet suddenly... $$$ from the Dreamons... and suddenly... no more homesickness.
Depression or not, that's poor form. (Tippet is in a similar boat re the Crones IMHO.)

2/ DOB: 19/8/1987. So he'll be 27 years old October 19th, therefore 27 for season 2015.
So he'll be 30 years old for the 2018 season, which is when we should start challenging.
(For those who see 2018 as 'optimistic', then Mitch will be even older.)

Easy mistake to make, but too many of us seem to be failing to 'do the sums' re the ages of players on whom we are considering expending significant resources (in terms of draft picks and salary cap space). As posted previously, Carlscum went 'too early' with pokieman Judd and are still paying for it... marooned mid-ladder. And they still don't appear to have cottoned-on... :lol:

We are way way closer to our next flags than they are!
He would be a major upgrade on Wilkes… may also relive Riewoldts retirement and would cost us nothing via the PSD. We can certainly afford his wage, but the big concern is his health.

Rossy was pretty keen a few years ago, so I imagine he'll end up at Freo anyway.
Hi Dragstar, IMHO we're not at the stage where we want to find an upgrade to someone of BBBBeau's age/capabilities.

For that position we want to find who can play there at a high level for many years to come. We may already have him/them(?) We need to find out. But Clarke won't be there long term, so if there short term, he would only interfere with the development of one of our long term hopes.

- We are building a team with the aim of everyone coming into their footy prime around the same time, so as to then be able to create a team that is challenging for years to come... as we did with our list built from the early 2000's.
- When we are nearly ready to strike, only then do we top-up our percieved remaining weakness via the pre-season drafts and FA. (Say the drafts of 2016, 2017.)
And so as for us to be able to that, which we weren't able to under Ro$$y, one of the first tasks tackled by the Pelican and his team was sorting out our salary cap structuring.
- Then, we try to keep that all chugging along via smart mature aged recruiting (eg; a la the Dawks),
- and we can then draft young talent with an eye to developing them for the longer term future, c/f needing them to impact immediately. (In today's terms, think the likes of Spencer White and Lew Pierce.)

So right now, IMHO we need to only recruit young guys who will be in/still be in their prime for 2017/2018 and beyond.

Plotting, patience and timing are the keys as I see it. However, the rewards will be great. Finally, the Juggernaut shall rise. :twisted:

If Rooy retires at the end of next year do you care to tell me the forward line based on what we have seen so far and please not what we hope. Sometimes you need a mature age player to help the younger guys. I wouldnt pay a huge amount for him but if he was a PSD pick then its only money that is the issue as the pick doesnt normally get to many stars.

ace
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:Would Greater Western Sydney look at this....

We give them pick 1 and Montagna for Patton.
Why would you trade pick 1 and Montagna for Patton, when you can buy a motorised wheel chair better than his for less than $10k.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:

Why would you trade pick 1 and Montagna for Patton, when you can buy a motorised wheel chair better than his for less than $10k.
david King on AFL 360 was carrying on about the Saints trading pick #1 for Patton, unfortunately for Patton, he is now WAY TOO BIG a Risk. GWS can have him.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
ace
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:
ace wrote:

david King on AFL 360 was carrying on about the Saints trading pick #1 for Patton, unfortunately for Patton, he is now WAY TOO BIG a Risk. GWS can have him.
Risk! the guy will be lucky if he ever gets out of a wheelchair and walks again.
His legs will never be strong enough for his weight.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Calais
Club Player

I want Treloar.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Calais wrote:I want Treloar.
Fair enough, each to their own, but what do the Saints want?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

I'm with you, Calais. He's a gun with ten years ahead of him and exactly what we need for our slow midfield.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
chook23
Saintsational Legend

caleb daniel............3rd round?

sorry this should be in a draft 2014 thread

saint4life
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Anyone with pace and skills. Surely there are a couple of them around.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

plugger66 wrote:If Rooy retires at the end of next year do you care to tell me the forward line based on what we have seen so far and please not what we hope. Sometimes you need a mature age player to help the younger guys. I wouldnt pay a huge amount for him but if he was a PSD pick then its only money that is the issue as the pick doesnt normally get to many stars.
Fair points Pluggs. :)

Pragmatically, as I'm pretty sure that you've already pointed out before, Clarke won't come to us anyway. At his age he'll (most likely) be slowing down significantly by the time we're contending. He would only go to a current contender..., unless offered insane $$$.

2016 draft period is the time to get a key forward... eg; GWoganS will be outta' contract, and we'll have had another season to get a better idea on how Rhys, Lee, Bruce, White, (even) Sippa, the Kiwis (one is a Mountain), and maybe someone we pick up in this draft, are likely to turn out.

So we'll have a much better idea of our needs, than we do right now... and... we'll have Petracca! :twisted:

But to answer your question... if Roo retires end of 2015 season, we'd field about the same forward line that we'd field if he retired just three rounds into 2015.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
lefty
Club Player

Don't think getting Trelor is the right timing, look at him next year. Really need a young "core" of good players. Tr

We really need some above good midfielders... out of the younger guys we have what, Billings, need another one or two young midfielders.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

What about Tom Mitchell? Can't get a game at Sydney. He had a record 64 possessions and 4 goals in the NEAFL in round 9. I know it's only the NEAFL, but that's one hell of an effort. Not unusual for him to have 40-50 at that level, week in, week out . Not over burdened with pace, but is a ball magnet.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

tommy walsh
luke ball
get goose back too while we are at it

dragit
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:What about Tom Mitchell? Can't get a game at Sydney. He had a record 64 possessions and 4 goals in the NEAFL in round 9. I know it's only the NEAFL, but that's one hell of an effort. Not unusual for him to have 40-50 at that level, week in, week out . Not over burdened with pace, but is a ball magnet.
I think we should go hard...

23 touches & 6 tackles today... The guy is very promising, we can afford to be very generous.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
White Winmar wrote:What about Tom Mitchell? Can't get a game at Sydney. He had a record 64 possessions and 4 goals in the NEAFL in round 9. I know it's only the NEAFL, but that's one hell of an effort. Not unusual for him to have 40-50 at that level, week in, week out . Not over burdened with pace, but is a ball magnet.

23 touches & 6 tackles today... The guy is very promising, we can afford to be very generous.

Do we want to committ to 500k though. If he leaves carlton would seem certain to get him.

older saint
SS Life Member

Our best trade bait looks like he broke hi foot again tonight!

dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
dragit wrote:

Do we want to committ to 500k though. If he leaves carlton would seem certain to get him.
Yes we do… we have shed loads of money that we don't know what to do with… we also have plenty of opportunity, Carlton can get f***ed.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

P66 why would he go to Carlton? His old man lives in Sydney and the rest of his family in Perth.

SaintWodonga
Club Player

I say trade for picks, we are in full rebuild, even if we trade pick 1 for GWS pick 3 and player like Jasch. Chances are that Wright or McCartin will still be at pick 3.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Old Mate wrote:P66 why would he go to Carlton? His old man lives in Sydney and the rest of his family in Perth.
Pluggs is concerned that maybe the apple hasn't rolled too far from the tree(?)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Mitc ... ootballer)

Went as a textbook Carlscum big-name on big-money plunder from a lowly club, back in the days when you could still buy a flag. Then he totally bombed. So I'd love history to repeat on that one. :twisted:

(Unlikely though. They've already got Daisy. :lol: )

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
andrewg
Club Player

True lore is definitely on the cards, he said though he may stay at GWS as a few (3-4) of the top line players are looking to go back home which would leave him a better profile at the club.....!
He did not mention who those players leaving were, and I suppose if they don't leave he will. But would like him to pull on a saints jumper...just gives 100% 100% of the time.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

If Terry Milera wants to stay at home, is there anyone from the power or crows we might be able to get in a trade? Apart from Jarrod Lyons, who's already been mentioned, can we get something in return for Tezz?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:If Terry Milera wants to stay at home, is there anyone from the power or crows we might be able to get in a trade? Apart from Jarrod Lyons, who's already been mentioned, can we get something in return for Tezz?

Unfortunately he isnt worth a thing. For example Lyons is younger and clearly better based on stats and just watching them both play.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

A mate who is a mad tiger fan and has had some good mail in the past, reckons Ben Griffiths and Jake Batchelor are less than thrilled with the one year deals they're on for next year. He believes both are looking for better offers and could be used as trade bait. Any interest from us?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:A mate who is a mad tiger fan and has had some good mail in the past, reckons Ben Griffiths and Jake Batchelor are less than thrilled with the one year deals they're on for next year. He believes both are looking for better offers and could be used as trade bait. Any interest from us?

I think Griffiths still hasn't signed for next year...I would offer him 3 years on a heavy front load if he spuds it we cut him after 2 years and pay out the minimal final year. Batchelor will re sign but Astbury was going really well before injury and is that big bodied backman to compliment Delaney. Hasn't signed because they are offering him no security, poor money and is not guaranteed game time. Should at least have a good look. Griffiths will probably sit out for that big dumb ass Vickery and should be suitably annoyed at that on form.