Speeeennncccceeeeer!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Re: Speeeennncccceeeeer!!

saintspremiers wrote:
tony74 wrote:Was unbelievably nervous before the game. By the end of the warm up he was spent both physically and mentally. At half time Sammy had a chat to him and said they were going to give him the whole second half, just go out and enjoy yourself.
The club has had a difficult decision when to play him. To be honest his form didn't warrant the selection, but the Richmond game had been pencilled in for a while. Thought it was the best match ups, the best ground, and the game time, and round was the game that would promote the LEAST amount of media publicity. ( Final team not selected til after footy shows, Hawks Cats game etc ) Think the club handled it well, most of the vibe were from our supporters, not the mainstream media.
The idea obviously was to show him what he needs to do in the off season.

Interesting stat that will be used:
Lance Franklin- First Game. Disposals 6 Kicks 5 Marks 2 Handball 1. Tackles 1. Goals 0
Spencer White -First Game. Disposals 6. Kicks 4. Marks 3. Handball 2. Tackles 1 Goals 3

Club knows what they've got as both a player and marketing tool. Just need to be very professional in there use.
Thanks for that. Sounds like Richo and Pelican have long term plans for when players debut in general or is that a special case for Spencer?

Re next week - massive game for Adelaide in SA and a 50,000 plus crowd size almost locked in now.

Spencer kicked 3 so really can't be dropped.....how can he be expected to handle that sort of pressure cooker?

I'd honestly like him protected from it.
It is a game of football.

His fitness issue will be worked through as he gets older. 19 year olds aren't exactly meant to be as fit as 23,24 years olds.

Mentally, he will work through it. It is like day one starting your dream job post-uni. Or dream job period. Nerves are there however what brought you to the dance should be leant on. He will be fine. Good work Sammy on having a chat. Surprising what that can do.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

i reckon he'll be chomping at the bit now

get a few pre seasons into him.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Can someone please remind me how we managed to get him?
Was it the result of a draft pick we had or a draft pick we traded for?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

selected with pick No.25 in the 2012 National Draft
which we got from the gold coast

cant remember how or why we got 25 tho
Last edited by matrix on Mon 25 Aug 2014 9:49am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:selected with pick No.25 in the 2012 National Draft
Was that originally our pick or something we received in a Trade?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

we got it from teh gold coast but im not sure how MM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_AFL_Draft

Saints94
SS Life Member

I think we received the pick through Tom Hickey. Well Done Spencer it was very exciting indeed! nice to get a taste going into pre season.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:Can someone please remind me how we managed to get him?
We gave 13, 37 & 57 for Hickey, 25 (White) & 47

47 was slightly pushed out and re-traded with cripps - ending in Murdoch & saunders

Saints94
SS Life Member

dragit wrote:

47 was slightly pushed out and re-traded with cripps - ending in Murdoch & saunders
Positive 47 was used for TDL which then became Tim Membrey, who I would prefer now imo.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:Good first game but lets not forget his opponent had 26 disposals with 14 marks!

No he didnt.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Saints94 wrote:
dragit wrote:
Positive 47 was used for TDL which then became Tim Membrey, who I would prefer now imo.
I think it was 46, but otherwise that looks right to me:

https://www.draftguru.com.au/years/2012

According to that we got 45 as part of the Lee trade and 46 as part of the Hickey trade. 45 went to West Coast as part of the Cripps trade and 46 to Sydney for TDL.

Membrey's only played one game so I'm not sure you can rate him too highly yet. But I suppose TDL is gone so something has to be better than nothing.

oldie60
Club Player

I think any player kicks a lazy three goals in his first game must have something going for him. Forget that Chaplin got heaps because the football gets chipped around the back line so much these days that the stats just keep racking up.As most have said consensus was that we did not kick to him that often. Rather than crawling into a shell and being dominated he actually out bodied Chaplin on two or three occasions. I know some of his performances at Sandy have let him down but over the years there have been many a good footballer who just did'nt get up for a game in the seconds,didn't matter how many games they played. Maybe he needs the challenge of being A grade.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
Saints94 wrote:
dragit wrote:
I think it was 46, but otherwise that looks right to me:

https://www.draftguru.com.au/years/2012

According to that we got 45 as part of the Lee trade and 46 as part of the Hickey trade. 45 went to West Coast as part of the Cripps trade and 46 to Sydney for TDL.

Membrey's only played one game so I'm not sure you can rate him too highly yet. But I suppose TDL is gone so something has to be better than nothing.
I think saints94 is right, the pick we gave to Sydney was from the Hickey deal…

It was a complicated draft period with so many picks drifting & contracting from compo's and Adelaide sitting out 2 rounds. Some picks that were collected in the trade period, changed numbers in the final wash.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

It was a very good debut from White and three goals in a competitive but well beaten team is commendable.

I REALLY REALLY don't want to dampen enthusiasm (heaven knows after this terrible season we need all the hope we can muster) but Spence is still very raw.

We cant let our excitement and emotions rule reality.

I would like to see him get 10+ games next season as his fitness and tank improve.

But there will be games where he gets a bath and will look either lazy or disinterested.

Like Stanley, I think we need to hold our nerve with Spencer. There is real potential there, but from what Tony74 tells us it seems the club is managing it very well and wont be swayed by our (I mean supporters) very understandable expectations and emotion.

And I know its a little bit tongue in cheek, but can we please stop the Buddy comparisions.

1) because it puts undue pressure on the kid
2) Sydney will buy him for a million a year :wink:

You are garbage - Enough said
Bardon Saint
Club Player

A solid debut. Yes raw but a good base to build out of. Has some good smarts and pace. Strength and endurance will help and that's what a pre-season is for. Easily trainined in relative terms compared to learning skills and smarts. I hope he remains injury free throughout the off/pre season. I loved the dash, that small run was a highlight. Not necessarily his pace but the attitude. For someone sh*tting bricks, it was a confident move.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:

Ok by me but you might want to get this post signed off by Stinger.

:mrgreen:

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote: By the end of the warm up he was spent both physically and mentally.
Totally spent PHYSICALLY after the warm up? Don't you mean at the end of the first half?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintly
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
tony74 wrote: By the end of the warm up he was spent both physically and mentally.
Totally spent PHYSICALLY after the warm up? Don't you mean at the end of the first half?
i think he means before , he probably was extremely nervous before and during warm up

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

I meant before the warm up. It's amazing the toll nervous energy takes out on you. Don't think he felt his legs till after the half time break. He's had pretty tight hamstrings the last few weeks so don't be devastated if he doesn't take the field in Adelaide. They'll look after him, both physically and mentally.

Saints94
SS Life Member

tony74 wrote:I meant before the warm up. It's amazing the toll nervous energy takes out on you. Don't think he felt his legs till after the half time break. He's had pretty tight hamstrings the last few weeks so don't be devastated if he doesn't take the field in Adelaide. They'll look after him, both physically and mentally.
Not surprised at all, its all about the long term future with Spencer!, thanks for the inside info Tony74 much appreciated! :)

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I would not be disappointed one bit if he was seen off for the year right now.

Has been a good year for him - played plenty of VFL footy. Got a taste of the big league. Good for his own confidence and good for club marketing. Now he needs some rest and a big proper injury free full pre-season.

As others have pointed out - is still only 19 - was a late year birthday so was drafted young. Has done enough this year for mine. Not much older than Tom Boyd or Jesse Hogan. Would be a real shag to have him injured in the last game of the year especially if hes a bit run down and fatigued. To the sheds I reckon. Sometimes you need to look at the bigger picture.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Mon 25 Aug 2014 2:54pm, edited 2 times in total.

Beekay
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:Would be a real shag to have him injured

We all suffer cramps, but he must be going full-tilt XXX.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

I was about to say that I'm 100% sure Tony meant before, but I see he has confirmed.

Forgive a little self-indulgence on my part, but to explain that, I have to tell you about my day yesterday.

Despite losing, it was one of the great days ever for a lifelong Saints supporter born after 1966.

My youngest son had the great fortune and privilege to run through the banner yesterday as one of the mascots. His little co-mascot comes from a family closely connected to the club through decades of playing and sponsorship history. So we were the very, very lucky recipients of the +1 honour.

It also meant that I got to stand at the top of the race, on the ground, and watch the players run out right past me, with my older son standing next to me. The cheer squad (rightly) experience that thrill every week, but for us it was truly awesome. And watching my own kid run up the race onto the G in the Saints colours was magic.

I pointed out Spencer to my older son as they came up. You have to understand that we all wore the number 18, so when BJ left and Spencer took it on, we took a keen interest in when he might actually crack a game. He's changed numbers now, but our interest hasn't waned.

He passed within 3 feet of me and I swear I thought he was about to throw up. I'm no doctor, but he had the cold sweats, and could barely seem to get up a jog. I was pretty worried that he wouldn't get a touch.

I was very, very happy to be wrong about that.

After the game, the Very Excellent Banner Day continued when we were let back into the rooms. Spencer's family and friends were right next to me, and absolutely stoked.

The slightly blurry shot below is him coming out of Richo's post match and seeing his parents. The sheer relief and joy on his face was a pretty special thing to witness. We had a fantastic experience. But I'm pretty sure Spencer and his family's was better ...

With his mum after they were interviewed ...

And about to let the rest of the family and friends in for a group shot ...

Always loyal
ChelseaGuy
Club Player

Thanks for sharing Semper - from the photo Spencer looks like on cloud 9.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
dragit wrote:

Ok by me but you might want to get this post signed off by Stinger.

:mrgreen:
nah, couldn't be bother...been doing mediations all day with extremely disagreeable people.....too tired to even consider it...anyway was all sorted out before

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.