St Kilda: The Washup

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saint wagga
Club Player

St Kilda: The Washup

OUr annual review is up on the AFL website by Nathan Schmuck...Overall I agree with prety much everything written, fair summary of our season, likely delistings and possible trade bait. Overall good effort at summarising our year! What do others think, any wildly differing views? I haven't watched the Lyon/Barrett video summary yet, but it looks like they suggest we trade Joey...It's been debated to death here in other threads i know...

philtee
Club Player

Re: St Kilda: The Washup

Damien Barrett and Gary Lyon also do a video review of the Saints season -
http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-08-26/ ... -part-ways

Barrett takes a pessimistic view because he wants to.
Gary Lyon has enjoyed too many cream buns.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

I was just about to post this. Barrett seemed to me to be taking a deliberately pessimistic view just to be contrary. And then thinks he's oh so amusing by "reigniting" last year's mad Monday fiasco.

Their assessment of bottom 4 can't be quibbled with. Nor can the need to find some support for Roo. Nor can praise for Savage, Billings or Dunstan.

Lyon thinks Lee should go (didn't we just recontract him?).

Barrett thinks Joey should go so that he can play finals elsewhere, and that we owe it to him to help him. Nothing about whether that outcome works for our list or not. Just slapped in there to create a nice controversial headline for the segment.

Always loyal
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Saint wagga wrote:OUr annual review is up on the AFL website by Nathan Schmuck...Overall I agree with prety much everything written, fair summary of our season, likely delistings and possible trade bait. Overall good effort at summarising our year! What do others think, any wildly differing views? I haven't watched the Lyon/Barrett video summary yet, but it looks like they suggest we trade Joey...It's been debated to death here in other threads i know...
So we are now critiqued by a Schmuck?!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Club Player

and some think we are coached by one ?? must be a conspiracy to keep us down!

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
Saint wagga
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:
Saint wagga wrote:OUr annual review is up on the AFL website by Nathan Schmuck...Overall I agree with prety much everything written, fair summary of our season, likely delistings and possible trade bait. Overall good effort at summarising our year! What do others think, any wildly differing views? I haven't watched the Lyon/Barrett video summary yet, but it looks like they suggest we trade Joey...It's been debated to death here in other threads i know...
A little tongue in cheek - the author was Nathan Schmook!! Surely he must have copped the Schmuck at high school ;-) He writes for the AFL website

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Real journalism.

PR/marketing arm of the AFL.

I come here for real news and insight. :wink:

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Shouldn't they wait until the end of the season before doing an end of season wrap?

Austinnn
Club Player

Our season ended about 18 weeks ago.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
It happens every day on this site.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Saint wagga
Club Player

Garry Lyon was completely dismissive of Tom Lee, said he's dead wood and we should cut him! Given his age and injury history i'm thinking he gets one more year to show plenty, if not goooone! If he was 18, maybe dfferent, but he's already 23yrs old!! clocks ticking

dragit
Saintsational Legend

What's with this concept of all good players having the right to leave bottom sides to go play finals.

Joey has had his chance, now he needs stick by the club and help re-build. Maybe Riewoldt and Steven can also leave to a side playing finals?

This "Brian Lake" concept makes me sick.

The competition would be in absolute ruins if lots of players did this.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:Our season ended about 18 weeks ago.
Our season came to a grinding halt after we capitulated to a crap Brisbane team in NZ...been an under-achieving effort as a club since then.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:
Our season came to a grinding halt after we capitulated to a crap Brisbane team in NZ...been an under-achieving effort as a club since then.
Where should we have finished on the ladder spert?

Saints94
SS Life Member

spert wrote:
Brisbane have better kids than us atm imo.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

SemperFidelis wrote:I was just about to post this. Barrett seemed to me to be taking a deliberately pessimistic view just to be contrary. And then thinks he's oh so amusing by "reigniting" last year's mad Monday fiasco.

Their assessment of bottom 4 can't be quibbled with. Nor can the need to find some support for Roo. Nor can praise for Savage, Billings or Dunstan.

Lyon thinks Lee should go (didn't we just recontract him?).

Barrett thinks Joey should go so that he can play finals elsewhere, and that we owe it to him to help him. Nothing about whether that outcome works for our list or not. Just slapped in there to create a nice controversial headline for the segment.
Good work Lyon on Lee. Tool.

Why do we owe Joey anything? If he wants to go then he can go however we do not owe him a damn thing. Chances are he is being paid bloody well.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Good to see the usual, lame and shallow cliche fest that passes for analysis in our football media. How on earth does Barrett get away with it? He even threw in the by now irrelevant reference to dwarf burning! Is this stooge for real? Not a single insightful comment, or evidence to support his claims. Seriously, any donkey could do what he does and would cost a lot less! Wake me up when he has something of substance to say. I fear I may become Rip Van Winkle!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
spert
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
spert wrote:
May have finished a couple of rungs up easily, but it is more a matter of how competitive the team is generally and we have failed badly in that area. Coming into the NZ game, some were already referring to Brisbane as a basket case this season, not a team with talented youngsters and a bright future. We became the AFL basket case after a promising start.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:
dragit wrote:
spert wrote:
May have finished a couple of rungs up easily, but it is more a matter of how competitive the team is generally and we have failed badly in that area. Coming into the NZ game, some were already referring to Brisbane as a basket case this season, not a team with talented youngsters and a bright future. We became the AFL basket case after a promising start.

Based on who has played with us this season compared to last I would suggest we may have nearly over acheived early and we also played the 2nd and 3rd worst side. 4 wins seems about right at the start of the year. people who thought more did it with one eye.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
spert wrote:
dragit wrote:
spert wrote:

Based on who has played with us this season compared to last I would suggest we may have nearly over acheived early and we also played the 2nd and 3rd worst side. 4 wins seems about right at the start of the year. people who thought more did it with one eye.
Probably more concerned with some of the margins in the losses to ordinary sides like Adelaide and Footscray rather than win/loss ratio.,
Most games we were more or less competitive for parts of the game, hopefully next year might see us slightly more competitive for longer.
recognise we will be missing Lenny and maybe one or 2 experienced players but hoping for a couple (at least) younger players to do what Steven did in 2013.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:May have finished a couple of rungs up easily, but it is more a matter of how competitive the team is generally and we have failed badly in that area. Coming into the NZ game, some were already referring to Brisbane as a basket case this season, not a team with talented youngsters and a bright future.
Maybe "some" were wrong?

Brisbane have 16 players with between 50 and 150 games of experience. We have 9.

Brisbane have 11 players with between 10 and 50 games of experience. We have 22!

So we've got half as many experienced guys and twice as many inexperienced guys. Is it really that surprising that they're going better than us?

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

bergholt wrote:
spert wrote:May have finished a couple of rungs up easily, but it is more a matter of how competitive the team is generally and we have failed badly in that area. Coming into the NZ game, some were already referring to Brisbane as a basket case this season, not a team with talented youngsters and a bright future.
Maybe "some" were wrong?

Brisbane have 16 players with between 50 and 150 games of experience. We have 9.

Brisbane have 11 players with between 10 and 50 games of experience. We have 22!

So we've got half as many experienced guys and twice as many inexperienced guys. Is it really that surprising that they're going better than us?
Good point well made!

Always loyal
spert
Saintsational Legend

SemperFidelis wrote:
bergholt wrote:
Maybe "some" were wrong?

Good point well made!
Fact of the matter is that leading into the NZ game, for a terribly under-experienced team we were in pretty good form with wins under our belt, we had quite a few finals experienced players in the team who got their hands on the ball enough, and Brisbane were in poor form, and it is definitely a game we dropped unnecessarily. It was obvious that Brisbane's TEAM effort was better and were much more motivated and prepared and hit the ground running, whereas we looked like we were running in mud- similar to so many games this season where we have been wiped in the first quarter. TEAMS win games not individuals, and a well-coached team is at least competitive regardless of experience.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Fact of the matter is that leading into the NZ game, for a terribly under-experienced team we were in pretty good form with wins under our belt, we had quite a few finals experienced players in the team who got their hands on the ball enough, and Brisbane were in poor form, and it is definitely a game we dropped unnecessarily. It was obvious that Brisbane's TEAM effort was better and were much more motivated and prepared and hit the ground running, whereas we looked like we were running in mud- similar to so many games this season where we have been wiped in the first quarter. TEAMS win games not individuals, and a well-coached team is at least competitive regardless of experience.
Sounds like you've got a point you want to make regardless of the facts. Maybe go into a bit more detail about how Richo is obviously a bad coach because he can't get the worst list in the AFL to win games against the odds.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Good to see the usual, lame and shallow cliche fest that passes for analysis in our football media. How on earth does Barrett get away with it? He even threw in the by now irrelevant reference to dwarf burning! Is this stooge for real? Not a single insightful comment, or evidence to support his claims. Seriously, any donkey could do what he does and would cost a lot less! Wake me up when he has something of substance to say. I fear I may become Rip Van Winkle!

hope i never run into that barrett creep in real life...i would probably punch him in the face and end up getting arrested...i would certainly tell him in no uncertain and politically incorrect words what i thought of the little @#$ @#$%^@#..... better not :oops:
Last edited by stinger on Thu 28 Aug 2014 2:53pm, edited 1 time in total.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.