luke ball retiring

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Re: luke ball retiring

“That’s why I’m a Collingwood person. They are like my wife and the Saints are like a former girlfriend. But I want to stress I love my wife
Has a B&F winner and former captain EVER been so disrespectful to our club??

Well Luke, your "ex-girlfriend" still thinks you're a jerk for running off with her sworn enemy. We hope you take a long walk off a short pier, you ungrateful sack of cr*p. I hope you are never welcomed back to St Kilda in any capacity. Good riddance.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Poor words Luke, you may of snuffed all that misty eyed love that was expressed to you by saints fans today

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

I dont blame LB at all - his OP was poorly managed by GT and the clubs non existent medicos at the time. Then when he couldnt run because of his injuries the then coach ostracizes him.

Truth be known the clubs management of his injury back then probably cost him considerably in his footballing career and shortened his tenure. He would probably have a strong legal case against the club for damages if he went that way!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

I dont blame LB at all - his OP was poorly managed by GT and the clubs non existent medicos at the time. Then when he couldnt run because of his injuries the then coach ostracizes him.

Truth be known the clubs management of his injury back then probably cost him considerably in his footballing career and shortened his tenure. He would probably have a strong legal case against the club for damages if he went that way!

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

I loved him when he was playing for us but I don't think time has been kind to him. His Dad Ray is a friend of a friend and he seems like a good guy, but they didn't do a great job with Luke. Ended up with a spoilt private schoolboy who's internalised the "poor/unsuccessful people don't work hard enough" mantra of the big end of town. That'll probably stand him in good stead as a Liberal MP but it doesn't make him a particularly nice guy.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I not trying to be a smart alec but Im not sure ive ever once thought about Luke Ball since 2011.

Id almost forgotten he still played at all. I don't watch any of the panel shows and whenever I watched the pies i guess he was injured or something. Can barely remember him playing for us. He just seems so non-descript. I remember when he had OP and couldnt kick. I remember he was quite tough. Kind of like Joel Selwood just nowhere near as good.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

When asked about his career he said the only lowlight was "the stkilda bit"
So many other ways he could word that

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:I dont blame LB at all - his OP was poorly managed by GT and the clubs non existent medicos at the time. Then when he couldnt run because of his injuries the then coach ostracizes him.

Have heard this argument re his OP used a few times overnight and I will stand to be corrected but....from memory he came to us WITH the OP, he didn't play for the Saints in his first year at the club, he was already struggling with it and continued with his schooling and school side
Now I'm guessing he may have been training at the Saints when able but it would have been with the condition in mind.
Again from memory very few medicos knew how to treat it and there were a plethora of players suffering
Yes more money and more resources would have assisted

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
mullet
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Poor words Luke, you may of snuffed all that misty eyed love that was expressed to you by saints fans today
Well put K

Extremely poor words.
And yet Kosi said this morning on SEN that he is a deep thinker, calculated, and very smart. So no doubt he thought long and hard about these
poor words.

That's why he will not be as universally respected as Lenny. Lenny would never say anything like that. Lenny would have no regrets as to how he
treated his mates either.

I do agree with him , he is more a Collingwood person, his words prove that.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Got no time at all for Ball the bloke is a dog. Turned his back on his mates after things didnt go his way. Just to make it worse he couldnt give a stuff what we got in return for him leaving by manipulating the draft. Ball can go and get stuffed.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I like how he negotiated with Buckley so he didn't get fired. Hiding from the headline "Ball gets the sack" I'm guessing....coward.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I like how he negotiated with Buckley so he didn't get fired. Hiding from the headline "Ball gets the sack" I'm guessing....coward.

Seriously? Is Maister a coward?

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

WinnersOnly wrote:I dont blame LB at all - his OP was poorly managed by GT and the clubs non existent medicos at the time. Then when he couldnt run because of his injuries the then coach ostracizes him.
Ball got OP before we drafted him and only played one game in his first year with us. Cant see how giving a bloke a year off to get right is poor management. But you and Finey would know. As for being ostracized by the next coach. If you cant run from injuries, is that the coaches fault. So Buckley should keep him on now even though he cant run?
WinnersOnly wrote:Truth be known the clubs management of his injury back then probably cost him considerably in his footballing career and shortened his tenure. He would probably have a strong legal case against the club for damages if he went that way!
Interesting, please tell us what you know about this injury and the way it was handled?

You are garbage - Enough said
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Bunk - LB only played 1 game in his first year because of his Year 12 school comittments. It is well recorded and known that our sports physio & medical team were terribly resourced and a long long way behind other professional clubs of that era.

To continually see an 18-19 year old kid not being able to stand or walk after games is pretty good evidence in anyones book he was mismanaged I would have thought!

LYON not to play himthe whole last 1/4 of a GF because of his preconception he wouldnt be able to run out the game - forgetting the heart of the kid had was ignorant and did ostracise him!

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

WinnersOnly wrote:Bunk - LB only played 1 game in his first year because of his Year 12 school comittments. It is well recorded and known that our sports physio & medical team were terribly resourced and a long long way behind other professional clubs of that era.

To continually see an 18-19 year old kid not being able to stand or walk after games is pretty good evidence in anyones book he was mismanaged I would have thought!

LYON not to play himthe whole last 1/4 of a GF because of his preconception he wouldnt be able to run out the game - forgetting the heart of the kid had was ignorant and did ostracise him!
I'm not sure anyone is questioning his decision to leave. People leave their clubs all the time. Luke had obviously had major issues with his body, and needed the support of a club with better resources.

It's more the way he went about it (nominating club in the media prior to trade week, refusing to talk to any other clubs, Fat Ed stitching up Roo on his radio show once the deal was done, etc)

And if there were any Saints fans left still wanting to pat the guy on the back, then a few of his comments in the last couple of days have hopefully killed off any goodwill he might have had. And thats good, he doesnt deserve any. Save it up Saints fans, for real heroes like Lenny, and in the near future, Roo.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:Bunk - LB only played 1 game in his first year because of his Year 12 school comittments. It is well recorded and known that our sports physio & medical team were terribly resourced and a long long way behind other professional clubs of that era.

I'm not sure anyone is questioning his decision to leave. People leave their clubs all the time. Luke had obviously had major issues with his body, and needed the support of a club with better resources.

It's more the way he went about it (nominating club in the media prior to trade week, refusing to talk to any other clubs, Fat Ed stitching up Roo on his radio show once the deal was done, etc)

And if there were any Saints fans left still wanting to pat the guy on the back, then a few of his comments in the last couple of days have hopefully killed off any goodwill he might have had. And thats good, he doesnt deserve any. Save it up Saints fans, for real heroes like Lenny, and in the near future, Roo.

He played 100 games for us, won a B&F and was captain so i would be happy to pat him on the back. Others like you wont and I have no issue with that as long as others have no issue with how i feel.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
8856brother wrote:We received jack when he left...
Oh dear. If there was one decision that made all the difference to our fortunes it was taking Luke instead of Chris Judd in 2001. It probably cost us about 5 flags.
well, three at least.... :wink:
Last edited by stinger on Fri 29 Aug 2014 12:27pm, edited 1 time in total.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Go back exactly 10 years ago and Lenny Hayes was probably a poor mans Luke Ball, maybe a bit harsh,but Ball was certainly regarded higher.
So 10 years later they go out on the same weekend, Hayes will go out like Rocky Balboa, triumphant in defeat i guess,and a perochial Adelaide crowd will without doubt give him a standing ovation,whilst the rest of the football watches on with a tinge of sadness as it watches it's most respected figure be carried off the ground.

Then there is Luke Ball,he'll get his acknowledgement for 20 seconds,but will be remembered as a plodding b grade midfield,who sold out his mates.

One will be remembered as an all time great,the other,a hollow career

Bring back the Lockett era
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:Go back exactly 10 years ago and Lenny Hayes was probably a poor mans Luke Ball, maybe a bit harsh,but Ball was certainly regarded higher.
So 10 years later they go out on the same weekend, Hayes will go out like Rocky Balboa, triumphant in defeat i guess,and a perochial Adelaide crowd will without doubt give him a standing ovation,whilst the rest of the football watches on with a tinge of sadness as it watches it's most respected figure be carried off the ground.

Then there is Luke Ball,he'll get his acknowledgement for 20 seconds,but will be remembered as a plodding b grade midfield,who sold out his mates.

sO HOW DID YOU FEEL ABOUT gEHRIG & hAMILL?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:I like how he negotiated with Buckley so he didn't get fired. Hiding from the headline "Ball gets the sack" I'm guessing....coward.

Seriously? Is Maister a coward?

It was a joke old fella....Ball gets the sack is a pun.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

who??? :twisted:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:I loved him when he was playing for us but I don't think time has been kind to him. His Dad Ray is a friend of a friend and he seems like a good guy, but they didn't do a great job with Luke. Ended up with a spoilt private schoolboy who's internalised the "poor/unsuccessful people don't work hard enough" mantra of the big end of town. That'll probably stand him in good stead as a Liberal MP but it doesn't make him a particularly nice guy.
i think he;s a great guy....have you ever met him.????..i have....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:
jonesy wrote:Go back exactly 10 years ago and Lenny Hayes was probably a poor mans Luke Ball, maybe a bit harsh,but Ball was certainly regarded higher.

Just pointing out how both will go out and be remembered this weekend by the football world

Bring back the Lockett era
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:
whiskers3614 wrote:

Just pointing out how both will go out and be remembered this weekend by the football world

The football world of the saints. Doubt many if any other clubs supporters will say he is a plodding B grade midfielder who sold out his mates.