Which?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Austinnn
Club Player

Which?

Be competitive and you set up to get the best out of your structure today. You try to win at all costs. You make desperate moves. You play on instinct, the instinct that has got you this far already. You give 110%, your supporters can be proud. You'll never die wondering. There's only one thing worse than not winning, and that's not trying. The team needs action, don't hesitate. Don't think, DO.

OR

Think of all the time you've put into training and strategy. Think of the big picture. A win today won't mean much, you follow the script and give the team time to gel, the future's great. If you don't fall in with the plan, you'll mess up the entire structure, the boss sees that you can't follow orders, your standing may fall sooner rather than later. The team needs players who are patient and can execute correctly. Be professional, be elite. Even the best teams start by taking a few hits. This is not tanking, this is smart playing, working out what works and doesn't work in the field. You can't simulate this. Only one way to get better and that's trial and error.

Which would you choose after losing so badly for so long?

You have been ultra competitive your whole life. The reason you're in this position now is because you've been so successful as a junior. If we don't compete, what are we really doing here? What is the point?

But our remit, our mandate is to set up success in the long term, that probably means sacrificing the short term. We are neglecting the future if we just keep playing what works now. Your mission is to seek perfection, to build something unbeatable.

Can you choose both?

Whatever you choose, some people will hate you and blame your choice for all the bad things that happen. You may lose your job.

We know what Lyon chose. It worked for a time, but look where we are now. We know what Watters chose. It showed initial signs that it was working, though ultimately it didn't, but perhaps because of the approach.

Put yourself in the shoes of Richardson and co this year, then players like Dempster, Jones, Armitage, Stanley, Reiwoldt (just examples, could be anyone)

This extends far past footy, but let's just think of it in terms of St Kilda 2014 and 2015. Or if you prefer 2011-2020.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Which?

Im to dumb to understand that. Can explain it one or two sentances.

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

I understand Austinn's post. It's good.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Verdun66 wrote:I understand Austinn's post. It's good.

Well can you explain it in one or two sentances?

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Perfectly understandable and I choose the 3rd option

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Austinnn
Club Player

Plugger, here's your explanation.

Now or Later?
Instinct or Calculated plan?
Short term or Long term?
Win today lose tomorrow or Lose today win tomorrown?

Are you starting to get the picture? I don't have an answer, and I don't know if there is one, but I would say its a choice that most in competitive environments face.

Thanks Verdun

Just My Opinion

You'll Never Walk Alone
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:Plugger, here's your explanation.

Now or Later?
Instinct or Calculated plan?
Short term or Long term?
Win today lose tomorrow or Lose today win tomorrown?

Are you starting to get the picture? I don't have an answer, and I don't know if there is one, but I would say its a choice that most in competitive environments face.

Thanks Verdun

Got all that and the answer is pretty obvious because unlike RL time when a flag was a chance there is nothing short term that can be gained so it has to be long term thinking in every way. The problem is we are losing support by the bucket loads.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

You cant give 110%.

The most you can give is 100%

You are garbage - Enough said
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:
But our remit, our mandate is to set up success in the long term, that probably means sacrificing the short term. We are neglecting the future if we just keep playing what works now. Your mission is to seek perfection, to build something unbeatable.
If we were in contention for finals you'd obviously have a game plan that suits the team NOW. You'd do what works now, but we are not a contender are we? I want my footy club to seek perfection and be a contender for finals in 2-3 years time and a contender for top spot in 4-5 years time.

I'll be specific about 'How'

Here's an example - Sacrifice a player for the sake of team. Make that player lead countless times but the coach instructs the team that they cannot go to that player...fullstop!! Only if he's up the ground and outside the 50 metre arc do you kick to his leads.

Instruct the team and make the game plan in many many games revolve around different options in the forward line. But guess what? Even after a few weeks of the opposition seeing the game plan in practice - who will the opposition still have on this leading go to forward decoy? They'll always respect this power forward and they'll always have their best defender on him 'just in case'.

The leading power forward who usually gets first dibs and who the team usually look for will not get the possessions and not get the opportunities to contest and mark and kick as many goals as the other options. He sacrifices his game/his numbers/his ego for benefit of TEAM.

The 'other options' gain confidence and the team's future is brighter.

Austinnn
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Got all that and the answer is pretty obvious because unlike RL time when a flag was a chance there is nothing short term that can be gained so it has to be long term thinking in every way. The problem is we are losing support by the bucket loads.
Agreed.

Lets hope that the Saints can survive this slump and rebuild properly to decrease our chances of being in this situation next time. No half measures and amateurish thinking.

Just My Opinion

You'll Never Walk Alone
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

plugger66 wrote:
Verdun66 wrote:I understand Austinn's post. It's good.
Well can you explain it in one or two sentances?
I thought you were going to Pluggs...? :?
plugger66 wrote:Can explain it one or two sentances.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen: