Caleb Daniel

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Caleb Daniel

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
supersaints wrote:There's been some very short players that went ok
Libba was only 163
Won under 19s, reserves , senior best and fairests ...along with a Brownlow ( not sure how he won that as he was a bit of scratcher and biter......)
One of the best tacklers ever.
Agree also that with today's rules, it would be hard to tackle him below the shoulders

Could be worth a punt?

He could be but there are many more who didnt and they are hard to name because they werent drafted. I like this guy though because he has good pace and skill and could play as an outside runner where his height want matter near as much. He would find it hard in the middle against the Freo mids.
He does have a very good tackling technique where he pins the arms and latches to much taller players. He's so quick he rarely gets caught holding on to the ball or gets rid of it too quick for the bigger guys. He a very twitchy frenetic type. If any short guy could make an impact he could.

He could but more outside the midfield from seeing him the other night and speaking to the coach after the game. The mids in SA footy are normal 6 foot mids not like the giants these days in the AFL. He seems like a 3rd or 4th rounder to me. Because we have low picks I would hope to get him as a 4th rounder which would be around pick 50. If we miss out then we miss out.

saint6709
Club Player

Paul Callery had a great career as a saint at 165cm but probably the bench mark for great careers for a short player was liberatore at 163 with a Brownelow - I would be very happy with this guy but agree with plugger you would want him at a low pick

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:Whose next? Tyrion Lannister?

But watching the highlights the kid has got some toe and a thumping kick for a small player.
lol :D

Nee!
spert
Saintsational Legend

I think a player who can run between taller players legs is going to do well around stoppages- sign him up!

Munga
Saintsational Legend

South V Sturt final today. Leading possessions at qtr time with 8.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Re: Caleb Daniel4 t

Tapered a bit but still got 24 touches in a dominant South win.

You are garbage - Enough said
Munga
Saintsational Legend

Great to see him in action. 24 touches playing HB to HF (he ran everywhere like an energiser bunny), and he never wastes his possessions. Even when off balance, on the boundary, or holding the ball at an unnatural angle, he still kicks the ball on the right spot and finds a target.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Not sure how we are going to this guy ?
He wont be pick 1 and I dont think he will last until pick 20?
I see him going pick 12-18.

SideshowMilne
Club Player

Reckon he'll still be there well after those numbers con. Even talk of falling to the rookie draft, but the interest is building. Maybe mid 2nd round ish to early third I reckon.

Rosco
Club Player

Early 3rd would be ok

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Little Jake Neade goes ok at 170cm

But probably realistically - around the pick 30 mark for Caleb sounds about right. If hes still there at 39 - we should do it.

Saint wagga
Club Player

Played very well again in a very dominant South Adelaide side victory over Sturt in a SANFL semi!

SideshowMilne
Club Player

We need to find a way to get Caleb, the kid is a jet.

Make it happen Pelch, somewhere in the 20's. Send over Dunstan to have a chat.

AdelaideSainter
Club Player

Watch him each week being a South supporter. Very smart footballer who reads the play exceptionally well. Great evasive skills and clean hands/disposal. Tackles hard. Deserves a crack at the top level despite his height.

Hopefully South can break a 35 year GF drought by knocking off the Power left-overs on Sunday.

Saint wagga
Club Player

Adelaide Sainter, any inside info on the young mans character/aptitude. I think of late the Club has looked to a "no dickheads" recruiting policy (Yes Jimmy Webster - lets hope your indescretion was a one off wrong place at the wrong time thing!)

patto
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bergholt wrote:
Munga wrote:Caleb Daniel: (SA - 168cm, 66kg, 7/7/96)
168cm!

Ben Cavarra is 173cm, he won the Morrish last year but couldn't find a spot on a list. Tearing it up for Frankston this year but still no guarantee of being drafted. If Daniel gets drafted first time round at 168cm then he must be a superstar.

I do agree with you re size but the difference between the many short morrish medal winners that dont get drafted and this guy is at least he is playing against the big boys and secondly Brad Gotch is a great spotter of talent and an amazingly underated coach.

He's definitely talented enough. Clubs are scared of short guys but Daniel is like Milne bred with Brent Harvey -so quick of mind and body that he should be able to make it. The question is where he will go in the draft he's top 5 on talent but his height means he could go anywhere from the end of the first round to the rookie draft. I would be very keen but i don't really want to talk him up to keep others off his trail.

I hope that last bit is a joke.
So do i

gringo
Saintsational Legend

patto wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bergholt wrote:
168cm!

Ben Cavarra is 173cm, he won the Morrish last year but couldn't find a spot on a list. Tearing it up for Frankston this year but still no guarantee of being drafted. If Daniel gets drafted first time round at 168cm then he must be a superstar.

I do agree with you re size but the difference between the many short morrish medal winners that dont get drafted and this guy is at least he is playing against the big boys and secondly Brad Gotch is a great spotter of talent and an amazingly underated coach.

He's definitely talented enough. Clubs are scared of short guys but Daniel is like Milne bred with Brent Harvey -so quick of mind and body that he should be able to make it. The question is where he will go in the draft he's top 5 on talent but his height means he could go anywhere from the end of the first round to the rookie draft. I would be very keen but i don't really want to talk him up to keep others off his trail.

So do i
It was but why does anyone care? Of all the crap I write on here that's about as innocuous as it comes. He is a player that I think could go earlier than expected and the more hype about him the more likely another club is to jump on him earlier than expected. I think a few are hoping he will slide to the rookie draft but he's got something special about him. I think in all likely hood the late second round is about where he belongs as he is very short for AFL but an exceptional talent. The Hawks jumped on garlett last year despite some misgivings about his attitude. Sometimes obstacles are overlooked when talent is displayed.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
patto wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bergholt wrote:
168cm!

So do i
It was but why does anyone care? Of all the crap I write on here that's about as innocuous as it comes. He is a player that I think could go earlier than expected and the more hype about him the more likely another club is to jump on him earlier than expected. I think a few are hoping he will slide to the rookie draft but he's got something special about him. I think in all likely hood the late second round is about where he belongs as he is very short for AFL but an exceptional talent. The Hawks jumped on garlett last year despite some misgivings about his attitude. Sometimes obstacles are overlooked when talent is displayed.

Hype because of what you or I write on here? Thats why i said I hope you are joking. Nothing matters, player wise, what is written on here. I think he is a 3rd rounder at best. The problem is a third round for us is still a pick inside 40. Maybe a bit early for a guy his size.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
patto wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bergholt wrote:
168cm!

So do i

Hype because of what you or I write on here? Thats why i said I hope you are joking. Nothing matters, player wise, what is written on here. I think he is a 3rd rounder at best. The problem is a third round for us is still a pick inside 40. Maybe a bit early for a guy his size.
It was a bit of an off the cuff comment with out any thought put into it. I hope a joke would actually be funny. I think you could see him going earlier than that despite his size. He gets a heap of love for a guy the size of an oompa loompa. Besides he should come to the saints -he looks like milney in Burkes hat.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:. The Hawks jumped on garlett last year despite some misgivings about his attitude. Sometimes obstacles are overlooked when talent is displayed.

but that was a huge mistake...the hawks got their fingers burnt...not a good example mate

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
dirtydog24
Club Player

Won't be drafted in the National Draft and is only 50/50 to be rookie listed.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
gringo wrote:. The Hawks jumped on garlett last year despite some misgivings about his attitude. Sometimes obstacles are overlooked when talent is displayed.

but that was a huge mistake...the hawks got their fingers burnt...not a good example mate

Drafting is about risk and reward. The Hawks jumped when they thought his talent was very high but his attitude was very poor. They weighed up what they were willing to risk and drafted him before anyone else did.

Caleb has a ton of ability but his height isn't going to improve, someone will weigh up what they think his potential is and who else might be looking to draft him and where and then grab him. He could go anywhere from about 20 onwards and sometimes if a guy like him starts to slide they all get cold feet and let them go through to the rookie draft. He has X factor and I would take him in a heart beat.

AdelaideSainter
Club Player

Saint wagga wrote:Adelaide Sainter, any inside info on the young mans character/aptitude. I think of late the Club has looked to a "no dickheads" recruiting policy (Yes Jimmy Webster - lets hope your indescretion was a one off wrong place at the wrong time thing!)
Not sure, haven't met the lad, but always comes across well in interviews etc.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

AdelaideSainter wrote:
Saint wagga wrote:Adelaide Sainter, any inside info on the young mans character/aptitude. I think of late the Club has looked to a "no dickheads" recruiting policy (Yes Jimmy Webster - lets hope your indescretion was a one off wrong place at the wrong time thing!)
Not sure, haven't met the lad, but always comes across well in interviews etc.

Gotchy say he is a great kid and I trast Brad.

SideshowMilne
Club Player

dirtydog24 wrote:Won't be drafted in the National Draft and is only 50/50 to be rookie listed.
Yeah nah