2014 List Management - Draft & Trade Discussion

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

suss
Club Player

Re: 2014 List Management - Draft & Trade Discussion

SemperFidelis wrote:
Munga wrote:Out of all the top draft prospects and trade whispers, Jaksch is the one I'm most bullish about. Quality tall, good kick.

GWS took him with our pick 12 in the 2012 draft. The Tom Lee trade.

Serendipity?
Stupidity. Close.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Anyone who doesn't believe in youth needs to watch how Port play tonight.

andrewg
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:Anyone who doesn't believe in youth needs to watch how Port play tonight.
yep...and it makes me so much more confident that the man that helped put that team together coaches us now..

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Looking at the highlights packages... O'Rourke and Jaksch are well, sure, ok.

Petracca is... LIKE WOW!

Ok, obviously very early days, but looking at what O'Rourke and Jaksch have done in their senior appearances to date... very underwhelming.

Now look at how Port beat the Purple Puke... aggressive midfield running and mid field goal kicking... PETRACCA!

I would not be trading our No 1 pick unless it was for a really special deal, and that mooted deal with GWS is not special enough. Any deal would have to include the name Cameron for me to want us to look at it. And even then, it better be good, coz we can get him in the 2015 PSD.

If Jaksch is to be got... stuff the GWoganS, we'll take him in the PSD.

We hold all the aces here.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Will be a shame if we don't get Petracca.

#1 Petracca

Jaksch for 2nd rounder or he walks in PSD (gws have had the rest of the comp over a barrell for 3 years - go hard saints)

Pick #21 + Monty for a top 12-15 pick

That is effectively 3 inside 1st round

Nee!
falka
Club Player

Starting to get a little Petracca fever myself.
We have many key forward options at moment (sure many might not make it) but a goal kicking explosive mid who can win his own ball. Oh did I mention quick and goalkicking?

Use the psd to our advantage and we don't have to do anything silly.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

If Petraca is the stand-out mid then I would use our DP #1 on him.

IMHO we are in more need of bolstering our midfield than chasing a 'project' tall forward.
We already have
Stanley
Lee
White
Bruce
as tall forward options on our list to complement Roo in his final few years of AFL.

And we also have
Hickey
Longer
Pierce
as ruck/tall forwards

Lots of youth in those areas.

If it's true that we're into Jaksch then he may well be better than any tall in this years draft and is 2 years advanced in development.

FQF
SS Life Member

The more I think and hear about it, the more I'm convinced that we need Petracca. Look at Port last night, Schulz was unsighted, Westhoff was quiet and they won because of their midfielders and small forwards-cum-midfielders.

When we get to a stage that our midfield depth allows us to play a Brownlow medal contender like Robbie Grey as a small forward for the whole match in a semi final then we will be back in contention.

SaintWodonga
Club Player

I have swung to Petracca. No point getting power forwards if the ball does not come down there.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
Munga
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: If it's true that we're into Jaksch then he may well be better than any tall in this years draft and is 2 years advanced in development.
I think he'll play as a defender

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

SaintWodonga wrote:I have swung to Petracca. No point getting power forwards if the ball does not come down there.
Think I posted this before but the extra year for Roo would indicate we are going for Petracca and look to develop White, Lee and Stanley for an extra year or two.

Lets face it, we willhave another high dp next season and can reassess what we need for tall forwards then

You are garbage - Enough said
citywest

IMHO, I think we should trade Armo and Joey. My feeling is that one of the top 4 sides would take him, possibly Freo or even Hawthorn. What pick they would give us I have no idea. With Armo I reckon a lot of sides would be interested. I believe he is originally from Queensland so he would be a perfect fit for Gold Coast. What would they give us for Armo?

Would it be possible to get a pick under 20 for Armo and a pick under 30 for Joey???

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:IMHO, I think we should trade Armo and Joey. My feeling is that one of the top 4 sides would take him, possibly Freo or even Hawthorn. What pick they would give us I have no idea. With Armo I reckon a lot of sides would be interested. I believe he is originally from Queensland so he would be a perfect fit for Gold Coast. What would they give us for Armo?

Would it be possible to get a pick under 20 for Armo and a pick under 30 for Joey???
I think we should keep Armo and trade Joey.

BUT

It is well established Sainsational tradition to annually say that we are trading Armo to the Gold Coast (because he is from Mackay). I see no reason to stop this wonderful annual tradition :D :D

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:It is well established Sainsational tradition to annually say that we are trading Armo to the Gold Coast (because he is from Mackay). I see no reason to stop this wonderful annual tradition :D :D
I concur!

Also I wonder why we didn't hang onto TDL until a Burmese team enters the competition. Imagine the value we could have got for him!

Harves Man
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
citywest wrote:IMHO, I think we should trade Armo and Joey. My feeling is that one of the top 4 sides would take him, possibly Freo or even Hawthorn. What pick they would give us I have no idea. With Armo I reckon a lot of sides would be interested. I believe he is originally from Queensland so he would be a perfect fit for Gold Coast. What would they give us for Armo?

I think we should keep Armo and trade Joey.

BUT

It is well established Sainsational tradition to annually say that we are trading Armo to the Gold Coast (because he is from Mackay). I see no reason to stop this wonderful annual tradition :D :D
Yes well said, Con. Armo could stay at his family's home and commute to the Gold Coast - it's only about 800 miles away!

PJ
SS Life Member

Who, logically, has trade value and is, comparatively, replaceable?

We are looking for high draft picks and if we want to hang on to pick 1 then it's gotta come from somewhere.

Does Armo have trade value if the right deal comes up? or is there a better choice to put up for possible trade?

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Harves Man wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:... It is well established Sainsational tradition to annually say that we are trading Armo to the Gold Coast (because he is from Mackay). I see no reason to stop this wonderful annual tradition :D :D
Yes well said, Con. Armo could stay at his family's home and commute to the Gold Coast - it's only about 800 miles away!
Good point Harves!

As someone here (can't remember whom :wink: ) has pointed out to us, players don't care where they train.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

How good is petraccas kicking?

From the write ups it doesn't sound like its elite....?

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:How good is petraccas kicking?

He's a powerful and penetrating kick but he's not your creative and highly skilful type. He's a powerful player that often wins a lot of footy contested and bangs it on the boot whereas guys like Dal Santo and Pendlebury seem to find space and have that extra time to use it better. Petracca is more your Dangerfield and Boak type.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:

He's a powerful and penetrating kick but he's not your creative and highly skilful type. He's a powerful player that often wins a lot of footy contested and bangs it on the boot whereas guys like Dal Santo and Pendlebury seem to find space and have that extra time to use it better. Petracca is more your Dangerfield and Boak type.
So he just bombs it forward??

From his highlights package it seems to be the case (missed targets consistently at least by foot and couple on the full)

Don't see the point of using the number 1 draft pick on a guy that cant hit targets consistently even if he does get the ball

As good as everyone thinks Dangerfield is why are Adelaide languishing mid table??

Surely a player of his quality (and throw in Jacobs, Sloane. Taylor, Betts, Talia, Smith, Rutten (now retired), Crouch, Jenkins) would have seen Adelaide playing finals this year

Where's the sense in using the No 1 DP on a player who gets the ball and then gives it straight back??

Not sold on Petracca at all at the moment - at least as a number one draft pick

To me its the highly creative skillful types that we actually need - much rather a Dal Santo / Pendlebury than a Boak / Dangerfield

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
Old Mate wrote:

So he just bombs it forward??

From his highlights package it seems to be the case (missed targets consistently at least by foot and couple on the full)

Don't see the point of using the number 1 draft pick on a guy that cant hit targets consistently even if he does get the ball

As good as everyone thinks Dangerfield is why are Adelaide languishing mid table??

Surely a player of his quality (and throw in Jacobs, Sloane. Taylor, Betts, Talia, Smith, Rutten (now retired), Crouch, Jenkins) would have seen Adelaide playing finals this year

Where's the sense in using the No 1 DP on a player who gets the ball and then gives it straight back??

Not sold on Petracca at all at the moment - at least as a number one draft pick

To me its the highly creative skillful types that we actually need - much rather a Dal Santo / Pendlebury than a Boak / Dangerfield
I definitely see where you are coming from but there isn't a Dal Santo / Pendlebury (that was last year with Kelly / Billings / Bont) in this draft and Petracca is the best available.

Petracca may not be a smooth mover and creative type but he's still got a lot of other qualities that make him an attractive player. He's an extremely dominant midfelder, powerful runner, strong mark and hits the scoreboard.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
I definitely see where you are coming from but there isn't a Dal Santo / Pendlebury (that was last year with Kelly / Billings / Bont) in this draft and Petracca is the best available.

Petracca may not be a smooth mover and creative type but he's still got a lot of other qualities that make him an attractive player. He's an extremely dominant midfelder, powerful runner, strong mark and hits the scoreboard.
Add Aish (and Taylor) to that list also.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Old Mate wrote:

Add Aish (and Taylor) to that list also.
Aish definitely.

Petracca may yet be a better player than all the midfielders from last years draft but the point is he's a different type. If he ends up as good as Boak or Dangerfield (or Wines) and we pick him then I would be extremely happy.

Roo12

Petracca sounds like the one to me. I think we need to draft the best player regardless of whether he's a forward or mid. McCartin and Wright don't seem like sure things where Petracca does. A midfield of Petracca, Steven, Billings, Dunstan, Acres, Armo etc looks like a beast in 3-4 years time. This is from Paige Cardona's phantom draft - she is a TAC Cup expert etc.

Pick 1: St. Kilda – Christian Petracca

Position: Medium forward/midfielder
Height: 186 cm, Weight: 92 kg, DOB: 04/01/1996
Club: Eastern Ranges
Projected draft range: 1-3
Player comparison: Dustin Martin/Josh P Kennedy

The most coveted prospect from the class of 2014, Christian Petracca has won just about everything this year, including the Larke Medal, Metro’s MVP and an All Australian jumper. Petracca, a strong-bodied, powerful, quick, goal-kicking midfielder is the complete package, and would be odds-on favourite to play round one, 2015. His development and progression into a genuine midfielder as opposed to a forward flanker is a credit to his character, discipline and appetite for hard work. He’s accepted challenges placed in front of him over the past 24 months and has gone above and beyond in answering those demands. Petracca features in the top one-percent in the country for his agility and speed, rating elite in his tackling, contested-ball, clearances and goals kicked by a midfielder. Petracca is now in the gun to be taken as the first selection, with one particular TAC Cup talent manager calling him a “once in a generation player that will be talking about for decades”.

Player Update: Labelled by one talent manager as “light years ahead” of everyone else in the draft. Also named in the TAC Cup team of the year on a forward flank.

http://boundforglorynews.com/paige-card ... draft-4-0/