Saints to trade with the swines?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints to trade with the swines?

I'm leaning toward Petracca over Mitchell. Fair bit taller. Maybe a bit quicker. Micthell is an awesome little player and tough and agile.
But hes certainly not clearly ahead of Pet - so I dont see any reason to take the risk.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I'm leaning toward Petracca over Mitchell. Fair bit taller. Maybe a bit quicker. Micthell is an awesome little player and tough and agile.
But hes certainly not clearly ahead of Pet - so I dont see any reason to take the risk.
amen brother...we traded a no 1 pick before for sfa....well nearly sfa....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
SinCitySainter
Club Player

I am not saying that I would go with Mitchell and Reid in exchange for pick one but Petracca has enough doubts about his kicking to question whether he will ever be elite.
I am also fairly dubious about the kids who are already fairly physically developed because the question is always there as to whether they dominate because of ability or because of stage of development.
Taking Petracca you could end up with the next Judd or you could end up with the next Mitch Robinson.

What I am saying is that it may well be a good year to look at trading the first draft pick as there appears to be major question marks over all the tops draft selections this year as opposed to other years.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Whilst appreciating everyone's concerns & worry about selecting a dud, I can't see it, not when that selection is an extremely promising mid as opposed to a promising KPP. Less attributes to develop for a start. Lenny was never an elite kick, neither is Boak, Selwood, Kennedy, Hanneberry but they all work their butts off to improve.

Personally I'd rather a Lindt ball than a couple of boiled lollies.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:I feel like I'm writing this incessantly but I'll say it again.

You can never have too many A grade midfielders - never.
Spot on.

A-Grade midfielders ensure you have a competitive team. Key forwards do not. They are the building blocks of success in the modern age. No team has made a preliminary final for probably 30 years (hell - maybe ever) without an elite midfield. But plenty have done it without decent forwards.

Of course, to win a premiership, you most certainly *do* need big, strong athletic forwards, but I think we should think about abusing free agency in the years to come to snaffle somebody to play this role.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

evo
Club Player

After watching a few highlights of Petracca, I just don't get the love. I think Michell will be A grade from what I have seen of him. Some on here look forward to draft day as if it was Christmas. Which shiney new toy to choose (that will probably be broken or discarded in a couple of years)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

evo wrote:After watching a few highlights of Petracca, I just don't get the love. I think Michell will be A grade from what I have seen of him. Some on here look forward to draft day as if it was Christmas. Which shiney new toy to choose (that will probably be broken or discarded in a couple of years)

Im with you on this. There are some who would never trade pick one but it should always be available for the right person. When was the last pick one that was clearly the best player in that year? Yep you are likely to get a very good player but there hasn't been a number one pick who has been the best player in the draft for over 10 years so if you are offered a young guy who has the potential to be a star then you must really consider it.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

If it's the same footage that I've seen going around, I'd take it with a grain of salt. The game at Geelong was played in terribly gusting & swirling conditions that made hitting a target pot luck.

Petracca doesn't have the footskills of a Jack Billings but he has the ball winning, speed past or knock em over & kick a brilliant goal ability that a young Chris Judd was renowned for. Another positive is that he compliments what we've currently got in our developing midfield perfectly.

He's a jet & I hope he's in RWB in 2015.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:If it's the same footage that I've seen going around, I'd take it with a grain of salt. The game at Geelong was played in terribly gusting & swirling conditions that made hitting a target pot luck.

Petracca doesn't have the footskills of a Jack Billings but he has the ball winning, speed past or knock em over & kick a brilliant goal ability that a young Chris Judd was renowned for. Another positive is that he compliments what we've currently got in our developing midfield perfectly.

Correct AE. The footage is a compilation of all his possessions in the televised national champ games not exclusive to highlights.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
Animal Enclosure wrote:If it's the same footage that I've seen going around, I'd take it with a grain of salt. The game at Geelong was played in terribly gusting & swirling conditions that made hitting a target pot luck.

Correct AE. The footage is a compilation of all his possessions in the televised national champ games not exclusive to highlights.

Its a much better way to watch every player. You can bet most recruits don't watch just highlights packages for exact reason of the name highlights.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:

Its a much better way to watch every player. You can bet most recruits don't watch just highlights packages for exact reason of the name highlights.
Indeed it is. I recall Tom Lee's highlights package being amazing. I wonder what the pre-edited compilation looked like? Did the club have access to it? :shock:

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
evo wrote:After watching a few highlights of Petracca, I just don't get the love. I think Michell will be A grade from what I have seen of him. Some on here look forward to draft day as if it was Christmas. Which shiney new toy to choose (that will probably be broken or discarded in a couple of years)

Im with you on this. There are some who would never trade pick one but it should always be available for the right person. When was the last pick one that was clearly the best player in that year? Yep you are likely to get a very good player but there hasn't been a number one pick who has been the best player in the draft for over 10 years so if you are offered a young guy who has the potential to be a star then you must really consider it.
The law of averages says it's time. By your logic we should leave Petracca and choose who ever we think is the 4th or 15th best player available. I think lots are seduced by Mitchell's very impressive numbers but why would Sydney even consider of loading him if he is better than Petracca. By the way I know a guy who can get these killer stereos, they are worth heaps but I can leave you with the box for $500. Just meet me in an alley way with the cash. If there is a deal that seems too good to be true it often is.

On the highlights of Petracca, on bigfooty I suggested the same thing. Apparently it was one game that they recorded every piece of play he was involved in. He has a higher disposal efficiency than any other midfielder and kicks plenty of goals. The first footage I saw of him was him doing Judd like cruises through packs of midfielders where they looked dumb struck while he ran past them. I don't think it's highlights so much as general play footage with others taken out.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

The law of averages says it's time. By your logic we should leave Petracca and choose who ever we think is the 4th or 15th best player available. I think lots are seduced by Mitchell's very impressive numbers but why would Sydney even consider of loading him if he is better than Petracca. By the way I know a guy who can get these killer stereos, they are worth heaps but I can leave you with the box for $500. Just meet me in an alley way with the cash. If there is a deal that seems too good to be true it often is.

On the highlights of Petracca, on bigfooty I suggested the same thing. Apparently it was one game that they recorded every piece of play he was involved in. He has a higher disposal efficiency than any other midfielder and kicks plenty of goals. The first footage I saw of him was him doing Judd like cruises through packs of midfielders where they looked dumb struck while he ran past them. I don't think it's highlights so much as general play footage with others taken out.

Law of averages. That's a new way of doing things. And my logic isn't what you suggested at all. That is completely flawed logic. My logic is simple if you actually read what I wrote. We should trade pick one if we think a 21 or 22 year will end up better than what people suggest the current number one is. That is my logic so I have no idea where you come up with what you did. By the way clubs do stupid trades. We got Lovett for pick 14. Brookes for pick 6. And who said Sydney are considering it anyway. Its a rumour like 99% of things mentioned on here. What if we traded for every player you said would be good for us. We would need 70 picks. You do understand hypotheticals? You rate Petracca from about 3 live games on TV. I rate Mitchell from about 12 live games on TV. We both would have different ideas on most players. You still rate Lee and I don't. Im sure there are players I rate that you don't. And I rate highlights as much as I rate eggplant.

By the way I think the club will take Petracca.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:[. And I rate highlights as much as I rate eggplant.
I'm confused, just tell us, do you like eggplant or don't you?

I agree though that highlights packages are nice for supporters have seen nothing of a player and what to see how good he might be. However, there would not ever have been a player who was recruited based on a highlights packages. All clubs do a bit more research than that.
For the record, I like eggplant.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

remboy wrote:

I agree though that highlights packages are nice for supporters have seen nothing of a player and what to see how good he might be. However, there would not ever have been a player who was recruited based on a highlights packages. All clubs do a bit more research than that.

Don't like eggplant at all. And know recruiters wouldn't take much if any notice of highlights packages, that was more for the supporter who says we should recruite a certain player because of a highlights package.

paddy
Club Player

god i hope not

dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Don't like eggplant at all.
Now you're losing me…

Baba ghanoush, Moussaka, Parmigiana… it's first round draft material no doubt about it.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Now you're losing me…

Baba ghanoush, Moussaka, Parmigiana… it's first round draft material no doubt about it.

Id rather brussell sprouts. Eggplant is up there with scotch and coke. I have no idea what those first 2 things are.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

That's probably just coz KFC don't cook it right Pluggs. :wink:

For those of us who are more open to eggplant in our diets, here's a more indepth look at C Petracca...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIfvQf7XXDg

I'm not worried about his field kicking... it doesn't seem to stop him from kicking... GOALS. :D
(I reckon he'd end up kicking more than McCartin.)

Petracca this draft, which gives us 12 months to see how the likes of Rhys, Spence, Tom L, Sippa and anyone else develops.
If we still need the big key forward, then we get them in the 2015 PSD. What the hell, whether he's needed or not, may as well get Cameron in the 2015 PSD.

We hold all the aces. :twisted:

PS: Pluggs, if you don't know what those 'first two things' above are... do yourself a favour, coz currently you're missing out.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
saintbob
SS Life Member

remboy wrote:

I beg to differ, Aaron Hall got himself drafted by the Gold Coast on the back of sending a highlights reel to every club.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Saints need to draft Petracca because they need more good looking Italian boys playing for the club.

I'm sure GWS would swap Boyd for him because they would love him up there.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
darylcowie
Club Player

just checked out Petracca in action via the link in this thread.

Thoughts: a unique talent, hard to equate him with any mid currently playing off the top of my head.

An inside mid, hard bodied, great acceleration, good decision maker, penetrating kick, good overhead.

One commentator said there was a hard ball to won, enter Petracca, time and again.

In terms of our list, he is a righ-footed Armitage with pace and good decision making, which doesn't bode too well for Armo, given Dunstan will be an upgrade on him soon!

I guess it gets down to whether we want a mid or key forward with pick one, I think the former, even though Wright looks a beauty to me too.

Either way, we should not be gift wrapping Petracca to the swines or any other contenders.

its time to make a name for yourself like you've never made before!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

darylcowie wrote:just checked out Petracca in action via the link in this thread.

Thoughts: a unique talent, hard to equate him with any mid currently playing off the top of my head.

An inside mid, hard bodied, great acceleration, good decision maker, penetrating kick, good overhead.

One commentator said there was a hard ball to won, enter Petracca, time and again.

In terms of our list, he is a righ-footed Armitage with pace and good decision making, which doesn't bode too well for Armo, given Dunstan will be an upgrade on him soon!

I guess it gets down to whether we want a mid or key forward with pick one, I think the former, even though Wright looks a beauty to me too.

Either way, we should not be gift wrapping Petracca to the swines or any other contenders.

To me he plays most like Josh Kennedy from the Swans but there are elements of Rischuto, Dangerfield and Judd. Possibly even a bit of Nate Fyfe. Big unit who runs at the contest and usually wins it. Big forceful and powerful rather than finessing and delicate.

I have been talking about this at Bigfooty - that the elite players have the finesse and class or touch coupled with drive and application. Guys like Dal have amazing skills but possibly not the internal drive to put every bit of his being into the contest where Lenny and Harves never left anything behind on the field but possibly weren't the most gifted in the natural talent stakes.I'd say that Ablett Jnr and Buddy are the two where they could be classed as both there are others that are similar but not the balance. If Billings is the exceptionally skilled type I think Petracca is leaning more to the Lenny and Harves ability to dominate through internal drive- that said he's no slouch at kicking a goal or getting clearances.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
darylcowie wrote:just checked out Petracca in action via the link in this thread.

To me he plays most like Josh Kennedy from the Swans but there are elements of Rischuto, Dangerfield and Judd. Possibly even a bit of Nate Fyfe. Big unit who runs at the contest and usually wins it. Big forceful and powerful rather than finessing and delicate.

I have been talking about this at Bigfooty - that the elite players have the finesse and class or touch coupled with drive and application. Guys like Dal have amazing skills but possibly not the internal drive to put every bit of his being into the contest where Lenny and Harves never left anything behind on the field but possibly weren't the most gifted in the natural talent stakes.I'd say that Ablett Jnr and Buddy are the two where they could be classed as both there are others that are similar but not the balance. If Billings is the exceptionally skilled type I think Petracca is leaning more to the Lenny and Harves ability to dominate through internal drive- that said he's no slouch at kicking a goal or getting clearances.

It seems you see a lot more than those whose job it is to look at these players. If he was all of that he would have been a clear number one months ago. I think we will get him but I hope they look at favourable swap. Never close your eyes to a trade whatever the pick. Gringo how many times have you seen this guy play just our of interest?

evo
Club Player

We will take Petracca IF we still hold pick #1, but I think we have not finished negotiating with GWS yet.