COLA Can't buy you a Premiership.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ctqs
Club Player

Re: COLA Can't buy you a Premiership.

Sydney wins flags via cola and Eagles win theirs via coke and ice.

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Bernard Shakey wrote:How many have they developed off the rookie list? How many low draft picks have they turned into very good players? How many discards have they turned into guns?
COLA has nothing to do with it, if we were half the club they are we'd have the same sort of record!
Have to very strongly disagree on this one Bernard.

I guess I get pretty annoyed when the 'commentators' rave on about how well run the Swines are. But the reality is very very different.

Yes, no doubt that the Swines have done plenty right, both on and off the field, but bottom line, if we'd had that extra $900K in our salary cap over the last decade, we would have 100% definitely won three flags (2005, 2009, 2010), and up to six flags (2004, 2006, 2012)... and we wouldn't need the help of AFL rigged tribunals either. :evil:

Looking at things that way, the Swine's one flag in 2012 starts to look pretty damn ordinary. :evil:

They aren't so bloody flash if everything is put fully into perspective. :idea:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:How many have they developed off the rookie list? How many low draft picks have they turned into very good players? How many discards have they turned into guns?
COLA has nothing to do with it, if we were half the club they are we'd have the same sort of record!

I guess I get pretty annoyed when the 'commentators' rave on about how well run the Swines are. But the reality is very very different.

Yes, no doubt that the Swines have done plenty right, both on and off the field, but bottom line, if we'd had that extra $900K in our salary cap over the last decade, we would have 100% definitely won three flags (2005, 2009, 2010), and up to six flags (2004, 2006, 2012)... and we wouldn't need the help of AFL rigged tribunals either. :evil:

Looking at things that way, the Swine's one flag in 2012 starts to look pretty damn ordinary. :evil:

You really are a 100% definite joke old boy! Care to explain exactly how we'd have pulled off these miracles?
I'm not a commentator, just someone who enjoys footy and loves the Saints.
Have a real look at the Swans list this year and apart from Tippett and Buddy, who have they got through having a few extra dollars in the salary cap?

They won in '05 as well!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Tommy Walsh?

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Tommy Walsh?
Of course, how could I forget?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Yeah Dave. Apart from Tippett and Buddy Love. :shock:

SS Hall of Fame

Didn't we get Jack Newnes for the Walsh traded pick? That was a win!!

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Wasn't it explained that they couldn't use the COLA on one player, it was spread over multiple contracts..

This COLA allowance has made them successful bulldust is a McGuire generated bit of paranoia, based on the fact that even though the AFL had given Collingwood a huge leg up
via the draw year after year they were too inept to take advantage of it, hence, to disguise it he took on Sydney re the COLA, load of crap really.... :roll:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:
You're right, they've had no help. Well done Sydney. Plugger was just first class recruiting.

There was no COLA then.

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Verdun66 wrote:
Didn't we get Jack Newnes for the Walsh traded pick? That was a win!!
Actually, we got Markworth and Maister, picks 35 and 68. Markworth hopefully will get a run at it.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
8856brother wrote:
You're right, they've had no help. Well done Sydney. Plugger was just first class recruiting.

There was no COLA then.
Gold star for you Plugger. It was just known as a generous gift from the AFL back then. You know, build the game up north. It worked too.

8856brother wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
8856brother wrote:

There was no COLA then.
Gold star for you Plugger. It was just known as a generous gift from the AFL back then. You know, build the game up north. It worked too.
I don't get it. He was going to the pies but the board said no. That's a bit confusing.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Bernard Shakey wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:

You really are a 100% definite joke old boy! Care to explain exactly how we'd have pulled off these miracles?
Have a real look at the Swans list this year and apart from Tippett and Buddy, who have they got through having a few extra dollars in the salary cap?

They won in '05 as well!
I thought my post was obvious Bernard(?) It's all spelt out very clearly I would have thought(?)

If our sides that I listed above had an extra $900K in their salary cap to spend on players, do you seriously not think we could have 'topped up' our talent pool to get us over the line in those years...?

How good could our (supposedly) infamous Achille's Heel bottom six players have been?
Ro$$y wouldn't have to top up on all those 'very good at-VFL-level' players whose recruiting (often rightfully so) caused so much angst on here...

there was a reason we couldn't chase after any big fish...
there was a reason we couldn't chase after a topflight third marking forward...

our cap was maxed out on a small number of highly paid champions, who were getting more than their equivalents at our fellow contending clubs.

The Swines are also paying overs, but unlike us, that extra $900K in the cap means they can still go and get a Tippett, and then a Franklin, and this draft... who knows...?

That's an incredible advantage. An advantage we did not have when we were contending.

Give us an extra $900K back then and we would have won flags. That's why I say the Swine's 'effort' is not what some make it out to be... it's simple maths really, I guess.

PS: The point was raised that the Swine's $900K can't be used on the one single player. True, but IMHO that's irrelevant semantics. All that matters is that they have $900K more money in their cap to go out and buy players.

No extra $900K in their cap and they wouldn't have Buddy Ego, nor would they have been able to waste $800K-odd on the most over-paid/under-performing player in the competition.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:

They won in '05 as well!
I thought my post was obvious Bernard(?) It's all spelt out very clearly I would have thought(?)

If our sides that I listed above had an extra $900K in their salary cap to spend on players, do you seriously not think we could have 'topped up' our talent pool to get us over the line in those years...?

How good could our (supposedly) infamous Achille's Heel bottom six players have been?
Ro$$y wouldn't have to top up on all those 'very good at-VFL-level' players whose recruiting (often rightfully so) caused so much angst on here...

there was a reason we couldn't chase after any big fish...
there was a reason we couldn't chase after a topflight third marking forward...

our cap was maxed out on a small number of highly paid champions, who were getting more than their equivalents at our fellow contending clubs.

The Swines are also paying overs, but unlike us, that extra $900K in the cap means they can still go and get a Tippett, and then a Franklin, and this draft... who knows...?

That's an incredible advantage. An advantage we did not have when we were contending.

Give us an extra $900K back then and we would have won flags. That's why I say the Swine's 'effort' is not what some make it out to be... it's simple maths really, I guess.

PS: The point was raised that the Swine's $900K can't be used on the one single player. True, but IMHO that's irrelevant semantics. All that matters is that they have $900K more money in their cap to go out and buy players.

No extra $900K in their cap and they wouldn't have Buddy Ego, nor would they have been able to waste $800K-odd on the most over-paid/under-performing player in the competition
That means you don't want the facts getting in the way of a good whine

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
It's a card I wait to play only if necessary :D

loris
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
It's a card I wait to play only if necessary :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:Wasn't it explained that they couldn't use the COLA on one player, it was spread over multiple contracts..
That makes no sense. Do you think they say to Buddy "we're going to pay you $800k a year" and then everyone's surprised when it turns into $900k due to COLA? No. The negotiation is about the full amount of the contract. There's no way to enforce "everyone gets a bit of it". They just have more money to spend.

But that said, I agree with those who say it's not the biggest factor. Here's their list:

https://www.draftguru.com.au/lists/sydney/2014

late picks: Hannebery pick 30, Reid pick 38, Parker pick 40, Goodes pick 43, O'Keefe pick 56, Bird pick 59
rookies: Smith, Rampe, Grundy, Cunningham, maybe Jack and Pyke
unwanted guys: Richards, Kennedy, Shaw, McGlynn, Derickx, Laidler

Not many bonafide superstars that they've gone out and poached using their cash. Tippett and Franklin the only two, maybe also Mumford who's gone now. Guys like Hall and Lockett might fall into that category but there's surely a limit to how far back into the past you dredge. The fact is they've built a very good list from all over the map.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Better give them another million so they can "develop" Dangerfield, Ryder, and Fyfe for nest season.

Quick AFL do something. 5 Grand Finals in 10 years of parasitical AFL legups obviously not enough for the great AFL fans in Sydney :roll:

You are garbage - Enough said
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/hawt ... .html#poll

According to Caro the Swines were soft yesterday.

Must admit it was a very enjoyable flogging to witness. And I loved the booing of Goodes and Buddy. Pure gold all round!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/hawt ... .html#poll

Must admit it was a very enjoyable flogging to witness. And I loved the booing of Goodes and Buddy. Pure gold all round!
You would have. Wasn't it lovely? No it was crap but that's my opinion. I didlike the result but a 2 goal game would have been better. Neither side winning gave me great joy ut Ben playing for the Hawks tipped me over the line. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:

You would have. Wasn't it lovely? No it was crap but that's my opinion. I didlike the result but a 2 goal game would have been better. Neither side winning gave me great joy ut Ben playing for the Hawks tipped me over the line. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
Thats a bit sad for you P66. I revelled in the consummate football team tearing apart a team tht hs been given so many legups that they are just an AFL endorsed team.

I loved watching Hawthorn yesterday. Haven't seen a team play better in year. Easily the best they have played in 3 months this year. The midfield tore apart the AFL's parasites and were just wonderful to watch.

If you couldn't enjoy the marvellous Hawthorn team yesterday I fell sorry for you.

Added bonus was to see the parasites with their $900k advantage get flogged

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Thats a bit sad for you P66. I revelled in the consummate football team tearing apart a team tht hs been given so many legups that they are just an AFL endorsed team.

I loved watching Hawthorn yesterday. Haven't seen a team play better in year. Easily the best they have played in 3 months this year. The midfield tore apart the AFL's parasites and were just wonderful to watch.

If you couldn't enjoy the marvellous Hawthorn team yesterday I fell sorry for you.

Yes it was so much fun to see a side win their 3rd flag in 8 years and their 11th in 43 years. By the way when did I say I didn't enjoy them winning? I just re read what I wrote previously. I do enjoy all GF no matter who wins because its a fantastic day of footy and as Luke Hodge said its the best game in the world and I am lucky enough to go every year I want to go.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Tippett is a poor man's Beau Maister. When we were contending he couldn't get a kick against us ; now that we're rubbish, he plays like Royce Hart.
However, the facts are that the Swans have won 2 Flags in ten years, and been in 4 grand finals. Before Lockett and O'Brien were poached they hadn't been in one for over half a century, or won one for 75 years. They were probably unlucky not to have won three, and it was arrogance that cost them dearly yesterday.
Swans supporters are quickly becoming my most hated in the league because they are so damned sanctimonious. All they do is poach - wouldn't it be interesting if they get Ryder and/ or Beams this year, despite both players' protestations that they want to play in QLD?

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Buddy I understand. But why Goodes?

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Re: COLA Can't buy you a Premiership.1

plugger66 wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Yes it was so much fun to see a side win their 3rd flag in 8 years and their 11th in 43 years. By the way when did I say I didn't enjoy them winning? I just re read what I wrote previously. I do enjoy all GF no matter who wins because its a fantastic day of footy and as Luke Hodge said its the best game in the world and I am lucky enough to go every year I want to go.
Fair enough.

I was awed by the hawks yesterday. THeir run and disposal efficiency through the middle in the first and second quarter was the best I have seen from a football team since the 2007 Cats.

I only saw it on TV, but they seemed to outnumber Sydney at every contest all day.

To kick 21 goals in a GF is just fantastic, in this day an age of defensive zone type football.

It was great and it was a champion team beating a purchased team of champions.

Hope it is forever so.