Saint Luke

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saint Luke

magnifisaint wrote:Taken at pick 25 to 30. Had 2 good years at a good side. Not worth the No 1 pick
He was pick 40. But I think that is completely irrelevant to the equation now.

Hes only 21 and has been absolutely awesome for two years already.
Hes worth pick 1 now. Not a doubt in my mind.

(We should have got him instead of Cripps back in 2010)

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
I've read someone else argue that many times as well.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

The blokes a gun, has mongrel and can certainly play.

Before Im 85
ace
Saintsational Legend

Did he dominate in the grand final ? - NO
He was part of a midfield that got smashed in a grand final.
Are we building a team to play in the finals or win a premiership ?

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I dont think u can judge him only on yesterday. He has a solid body of work.
He is 21 and has already dominated in two finals. He is an absolute gun and he kicks goals.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Mon 29 Sep 2014 12:50am, edited 1 time in total.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Only as good as your last game.

How did he go yesterday?

If we trade pick 1 for him, it will be a complete travesty.

No, not at that price for a mid now with HUGE doubts over him.

You are garbage - Enough said
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
I've read someone else argue that many times as well.
He also argued that we should have got Darling which means we would not have been able to get Parker anyway

No doubt his list would have grown if a few more in between 24 and 40 turned out ok

Ahhh ..... the joys of retrospective analysis with an emphasis on anal

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

already a gun vs maybe a gun?

I would do the deal better one in the hand than one in bush

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:Only as good as your last game.

How did he go yesterday?

If we trade pick 1 for him, it will be a complete travesty.

No, not at that price for a mid now with HUGE doubts over him.
Plenty of upcoming players and many great players have had shite GF performances ........ what gives??

He's 21 and on a huge learning curve and in two years will be probably considered to be one of the top 5 mids in the game

I wouldn't hesitate to trade pick 1 for him ..... with a sweetner attached as suggested earlier in this thread

There would not be one AFL team that wouldn't be super tempted given the year he just had

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

One of the key problems in the trade might be that Sydney have surprisingly few players who win the ball from clearances apart from Kennedy who can win his own ball they struggle in those stats. Parker is their next best. They would be pretty dumb to trade him out unless they think Mitchell can walk straight in and pick up where he left off. Mitchell apparently does some things the Sydney coaches don't like though they claimed on SEN.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Has this rumour got any legs at all or is it just some random tool on facebook getting their jollys over getting us to discuss it?

Kernal75
Club Player

Article was written in the H/S today. Single paragraph which suggested it was unlikely but finished with a "watch this space". It's silly season until the trade period actually starts so let's all take everything with a massive grain of salt

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:geez i hope not.

I hope that's a joke. Of course he isn't leaving for pick one but if we had 2 as well we maybe a chance.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:Taken at pick 25 to 30. Had 2 good years at a good side. Not worth the No 1 pick

Seriously there are people who just don't get pick one. A million to one.

Rosco
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

Agree.

Kruezer was a clear #1 pick. The Kruezer Cup.

Hodge was also. But the guy at #3 that year was also handy.

Can find more examples.

Take parker if he's on offer.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

What do you mean a million to one?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
james rose
Club Player

As a St Kilda supporter I want more for pick 1 at first reaction.

Then you realize the Swans probably want more for a 21 year old gun mid/fwd.

Which means to me its probably a fair trade and I'd be happy with it.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

The #1 draft pick gives us the opportunity to recurit the very best elite player; a future Brownlow medalist, All Australian and recognised star of the competition.

Some on this forum were suggesting we trade that opportunity for Mitchell from the Swans, who's not even in their best 22. This tread is suggesting we tarde the #1 pick for Luke Parker. In my mind, this guy is a good player in a good side, but he's a long way from their best midfielder.

Petracca could be a gun, a rising star and an All Australian. That's what St Kilda needs.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

A million to one that Sydney took less than pick one. Parker wont be coming to us just like Cameron but both are clear number one plus a good player.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

A million to one that Sydney took less than pick one. Parker wont be coming to us just like Cameron but both are clear number one plus a good player.
I understand you value both of these players, but I think it is the intrinsic worth of the player you get for the #1 that is up for question.

All rumours for sure, but the word is that GWS would love to get Petracca because he is the type of midfielder they lack. However he wont last to pick three or four if Melbourne get #3 as compensation.

The next best mid is Brayshaw who it is thought Melbourne will draft which would leave either probably McCartin and Wright for the GWS whom they don't need on their list.

This is how the players plus swap of #1 and four came about. First Jaksch and JOR and pick #4for #1. Then Camerons name was mentioned. Cameron was mentioned because he wont sign a new contract and the feeling is that he may seek to go home as an uncontracted player. The thoughts are that the Saints may be in a similar position next season as in this and pick him up in the PSD without trade. if this is the case GWS may want to trade now for him and get some compensation.

Saints would get for example Jaksch and JOR plus whoever is at #4 like a Wright or even maybe McCartin.

This is the thinking behind the "overs" in the trade. Rationally and usually the trade would be ridiculous, but it is the value placed on Petracca by GWS and the possibility of Cameron leaving for nothing that is driving the argument.

Also if you add in the history of trading the #1. Look at the last one, hawks were MASSIVE, MASSIVE winners. They got Hodge, and Mitchell who both just won their third flag. they got Croad back eventually and he won a flag in 2008.

The Sydney stuff is interesting though. They might want to offload Reid and Mitchell. Parkers value just slumped. He was appalling the last time Sydney played the Swans and was appalling again on the weekend. He now has huge doubts about his ability in the big games.

Reid was hopeless on the weekend and looked like a poor mans Liam Jones. Mitchell cant crack it for a game at Sydney.

Sydney may think they can offload Reid and Mitchell and use #1 for Dangerfield for example. After Saturday, they certainly need a mid that can get his own ball.

So that's my take on these rumours and speculation. The deal involving the #1 is fraught with danger n trading it, and it is slightly more irrational than a usual trading scenario.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

james rose wrote:As a St Kilda supporter I want more for pick 1 at first reaction.

Then you realize the Swans probably want more for a 21 year old gun mid/fwd.

Which means to me its probably a fair trade and I'd be happy with it.
Why should it be fair?

We have the #1 they give what we want or we don't trade.

We have the whip hand. In cases where #1 is on the table it has to be a super deal for us, not "fair'.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BM I wouldn't rate getting Jaksch, JOR and pick 4 as overs. I don't rate players who are struggling for games as being a good deal. GWS are playing everyone and neither of these 2 have been able to get a good run at it. Pelchen seems to like the multiple player idea so it maybe a chance. I reckon it has hairs on it because I am of the opinion to really improve you need champions and you have more chance of getting a champion with higher picks and not downgrading just to get multiple players. Having said that I will contradict myself by saying I would trade pick one to do a deal similar to Melbourne last year but I do rate Dom Tyson very very highly.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I reckon Parker is the Swans 2nd best mid. And he kicks goals and hes only 21. So id take him for pick 1 for sure.
I'd also do Shiel + 4 although im not that keen on two metre peter at pick 4. I just find extra tall guys too risky with high picks.
But outside that forget it. I would not do the JOR and Jackshe + 4 deal and I would certainly not do the Mitchell + Reid deal.
So more than likely Id go for the Pet Man.

Saint wagga
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:BM I wouldn't rate getting Jaksch, JOR and pick 4 as overs. I don't rate players who are struggling for games as being a good deal. GWS are playing everyone and neither of these 2 have been able to get a good run at it. Pelchen seems to like the multiple player idea so it maybe a chance. I reckon it has hairs on it because I am of the opinion to really improve you need champions and you have more chance of getting a champion with higher picks and not downgrading just to get multiple players. Having said that I will contradict myself by saying I would trade pick one to do a deal similar to Melbourne last year but I do rate Dom Tyson very very highly.
PLugger, did you rate Tyson highly before this year just gone though? How was he trending at GWS, did he play a lot of games, I personally don't remember seeing him standout or rack up huge numbers in 2013, but then again I didn't watch many GWS games...

IN the media there was certainly an elelment of 'melbourne were being ballsy/dumb' by giving up pick 2...Hindsight is a beautiful thing, and maybe/well probably the club will have to back itself in with selections this year because it will probably come under a lot of scrutiny.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I reckon Parker is the Swans 2nd best mid. And he kicks goals and hes only 21. So id take him for pick 1 for sure.
I'd also do Shiel + 4 although im not that keen on two metre peter at pick 4. I just find extra tall guys too risky with high picks.
But outside that forget it. I would not do the JOR and Jackshe + 4 deal and I would certainly not do the Mitchell + Reid deal.
So more than likely Id go for the Pet Man.

Im unsure how GWS win out of the Shiel deal. They lose a player probably as good as Petracca will ever get and also lose pick 4. Doesn't make sense unless they know Shiel is 100% leaving when his contract is up. Unlike you I really rate Mitchell and would do the deal in a heartbeat. I still think we will take Petracca though. I just don't want them to trade pick one to get pick 4 and pick 20. That would be madness in my mind.