GWS to get pick 1

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

avid
Club Player

Re: GWS to get pick 1

I'd probably take just 4 and 7 for 1.
(I'd certainly take 3 and 6 for 1, but the Frawley compensation stuffed that up.)
We'd get McCartin or Wright and the next best midfielder -- who you'd think should be pretty sensational too.
Twice (or slightly less than twice) the chance of picking a genuine star.

I don't want any deal for pick 1 to involve any 'good value' type players (Jaksch or O'Rourke for eg)
I'll be thrilled if we just end up with Petracca too.

Razzledazzle

I have been a sleeper watching this topic unfold.I now feel compelled/obliged to wade in and voice the strongest objection to any suggestion on any terms that the Sainters trade the no 1 pick. I believe in the strength and loyality that comes from youth which will give real hope to our aspirations for success. The wooden spoon means the right to choose the perceived youngest and most probable Harvey like champion to join a team now bristling with truly raw young talent. Recruiters and administrators stick fat with the futurefest youth plan and build this club from the bottom up. To do so inpires long suffering fans that breathe BRW to stick the journey in the belief that Morrabbin will rock again with a flag. Recent and arguably difficult to undersstand trades and delistings must be avoided and the exercising of the right to pick the no 1 is the way forward. Go Sainters!!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
ausfatcat wrote:I think we will get McCartin with pick 1
:shock: :shock: :shock:

If that's the case, unload that number one pick for the deal above!

Aus, IMHO one-trick McCartin will struggle to even make in the AFL...full stop! Let alone be worth a top five pick.

Any deal for Petracca must start with Cameron on the table, then the offer made to us is built up from that starting point.

This draft is Petracca, then... daylight.

Dave there maybe one or two people on this board who actually think you know what you are talking about so to make the above comments about Petracca and McCartin can you tell those one or two how many live games you have seen these 2 play and how many you have seen on TV because with a huge statement like that I gather its a fair few. I certainly haven't heard those who really know the draft suggest either of those comments. Maybe you have seen them slightly more.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

plugger66 wrote:Dave there maybe one or two people on this board who actually think you know what you are talking about...
Hush Pluggs!!!

I dont want those remaining one or two people to catch-on yet. :wink:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

plugger66 wrote:Dave there maybe one or two people on this board who actually think you know what you are talking about so to make the above comments about Petracca and McCartin can you tell those one or two how many live games you have seen these 2 play and how many you have seen on TV because with a huge statement like that I gather its a fair few. I certainly haven't heard those who really know the draft suggest either of those comments. Maybe you have seen them slightly more.
Oh, you also want an answer that addresses your question, Pluggs...?

From the start I put in the caveat that my personal assessment was based on what I've seen, heard and read. I also said that I was open to our recruiting staff having more info than that. So, personal opinion.

When I first read about Petracca he wasn't listed in the top five. (About seven or eight-ish?) From reading the player right-ups, which always tend to be 'generous'... he stood out. I also like the potential of the wayward Lamby. Also Brayshaw, but being a romantic who believes in the importance of family connections at clubs, I hope that Brayshaw does get to Nuff Nuff. Whereas the then favoured ones like Goddard and McCartin seemed to have significant shortcomings. (Seems the talent spotters agree with me, at least on Goddard. :wink: )

Petracca has been assessed by more than one draft watcher and also coach as being a potential once-in-a-gernation type. How often does that happen...? Those assessments have been posted (and not by me) several times in many Petracca-related threads.

He has dominated the underage championships, both this year, and last when he himself was 'underage'. That's significant IMHO. He is fast, powerful, explosive, and kicks goals (on the ball and when resting up forward). So apart from being 'the best player' he also fits the player demographic that we need.

To me, from all I've been able to determine, Petracca is the clear standout. Petracca, then that bloke Daylight.

Oh, whether I've got his assessment all wrong or not..., so too have the talent scouts from the other clubs, it seems... :mrgreen:

And he's a Saint's supporter.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Dave there maybe one or two people on this board who actually think you know what you are talking about so to make the above comments about Petracca and McCartin can you tell those one or two how many live games you have seen these 2 play and how many you have seen on TV because with a huge statement like that I gather its a fair few. I certainly haven't heard those who really know the draft suggest either of those comments. Maybe you have seen them slightly more.

From the start I put in the caveat that my personal assessment was based on what I've seen, heard and read. I also said that I was open to our recruiting staff having more info than that. So, personal opinion.

When I first read about Petracca he wasn't listed in the top five. (About seven or eight-ish?) From reading the player right-ups, which always tend to be 'generous'... he stood out. I also like the potential of the wayward Lamby. Also Brayshaw, but being a romantic who believes in the importance of family connections at clubs, I hope that Brayshaw does get to Nuff Nuff. Whereas the then favoured ones like Goddard and McCartin seemed to have significant shortcomings. (Seems the talent spotters agree with me, at least on Goddard. :wink: )

Petracca has been assessed by more than one draft watcher and also coach as being a potential once-in-a-gernation type. How often does that happen...? Those assessments have been posted (and not by me) several times in many Petracca-related threads.

He has dominated the underage championships, both this year, and last when he himself was 'underage'. That's significant IMHO. He is fast, powerful, explosive, and kicks goals (on the ball and when resting up forward). So apart from being 'the best player' he also fits the player demographic that we need.

To me, from all I've been able to determine, Petracca is the clear standout. Petracca, then that bloke Daylight.

Oh, whether I've got his assessment all wrong or not..., so too have the talent scouts from the other clubs, it seems... :mrgreen:

Someone on another thread said that he went for the Fagpies

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:

Firstly he follows the pies and secondly I hardly understood a word you wrote but there was nothing there to suggest anything you said if I guessed rightly. And I haven't heard many if any suggest Petracca is a once in a generation player and his testing wasn't that great. As you said he wasn't rated in the first 5 but had a great carnival where he didn't actually dominate but played very well. I have no idea who is the best player but to suggest McCartin may not make and Petracca is a once in a generation player is way over the top. I certainly would guess that the way you post if people thought McCartin was nearly a sure number then you would find more positives for him than Petracca. We will obviously get Petracca but don't go overboard after im guessing watching about 2 games on TV. I hope he is a star and follow a little bit of junior footy but not enough to know much at all about any of these guys.

jaxons
Club Player

I don't think we will have pick 1 come this time next Thursday, watch this space!

Fidelis
Club Player

There's nothing like making a dramatic (and fashionably late) entrance Jaxons.

That adds some spice to an otherwise dull week

Faithful Even Unto Death
dragit
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:I don't think we will have pick 1 come this time next Thursday, watch this space!
Oh dear... Picks, players or a mix?

Fluttz
Club Player

jaxons wrote:I don't think we will have pick 1 come this time next Thursday, watch this space!
What kind of deal do you think could get done Jaxons??!

sasaint
Club Player

I understand why Pelchen may do this, and the numbers may be compelling on his spreadsheet, but not sure any other player in the draft has the same marquee value that Petracca provides, and we definitely need some star power at the Saints after Roo leaves. IMO we are building a team of GOPs, and a great team can win flags, but star power brings in membership. Hope for the club we can get a great deal for pick 1 but I am worried. :?

Patience young grasshopper
jaxons
Club Player

Can't reveal at the moment, will do when I can, lots of talks going on, not everything transpires so as I said watch this space.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:Can't reveal at the moment, will do when I can, lots of talks going on, not everything transpires so as I said watch this space.

spot on
Club Player

Hope pick 4 and shields are involved, can u hint at all jaxson?? Getting pretty bored with no rumours happening

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

I'm going to be pretty disappointed if it isn't J Cameron.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

NEXT Thursday?

Over a whole week away...

This is going to drag big time...

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I really hope we don't screwed over.
Bit sick of drawng the short straw.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I really hope we don't screwed over.
Bit sick of drawng the short straw.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

gringo
Saintsational Legend

It will be 4, 20 and a late teens pick for K Jaksche compo. IMO.

To me there is a big group between about 5 and 25 that are all of similar quality and plenty of very nice players. We could then get Wright/Mc Cartin, Cockatoo/ Laverde/ De Goey/Weller and Someone like Goddard/ Mc Kenzie/ Lamb all in one draft. I'm pretty happy with that. Lessens the chance of a bomb out and fast tracks the future.

I'm not even sure any of the likely top four are that much better quality although I do like Petracca.

howlinwolf
Club Player

Damn. So now we have an eternal wait to see if we got dudded or pop the champagne ?

In Pelican we trust. Fingers crossed.. :?

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
sainter#4
Club Player

Jaxons can you tell us where you believe the deal sits on a number scale; 1 - 10 ? :P :twisted:
Last edited by sainter#4 on Wed 08 Oct 2014 7:25pm, edited 1 time in total.