McCartney resigned from Dogs

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Megsie
Club Player

Re: McCartney resigned from Dogs

Well said "3rd generation saint"

Megsie
Club Player

Megsie
Club Player

Megsie
Club Player

Megsie
Club Player

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Megsie, are you using a Samsung Tablet?
I get problems sometimes with mine

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Yeah mine does that as well...

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Austinnn
Club Player

As hard as it is to be a Saints supporter sometimes, it's like a day at Disneyland compared to the mind numbing mediocrity of life as a Footscray fan. Even more small-time than our operation and without much potential of growing barring an unexpected surge of interest in the UK, it's fair to say their lows will never be quite as low as ours, but neither will their highs be as high. They are the only teambesides us to have only won one flag, barring expansion teams of course, and their recent pinnacles of success were all semi final, two of which they lost to us. We can be thankful that our heroes are the likes of Harvey, Leowe, Baldock, Barker and Reiwoldt, rather than the slightly inferior Whitten, Grant, Hawkins, West and Cooney.

I feel sympathy for them but I'm ashamed to say I'm also thankful for them. I hoped I haven't jinxed us!

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
Austinnn
Club Player

Megsie wrote:Well said "3rd generation saint"

Well said Megsie. Well said. Well said. Well said...

8-)

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
matrix
Saintsational Legend

I must be losing the plot...I can't even a see 3GS post!

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

matrix wrote:I must be losing the plot...I can't even a see 3GS post!

second or third post.

You are garbage - Enough said
matrix
Saintsational Legend

Cheers bunk.
Think I need a holiday.......

Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

Do you all see this current situation at the Dogs as being very far removed from our situation with Watters a year ago? From memory there were whispers then that Roo and Joey weren't signing until Watters was gone, and perhaps Dal might not have made the decision he did if Watters got the bullet earlier (pure speculation)? BJ definitely had no love for Watters when he moved on a year earlier. But I guess our situation didn't play out so publicly and there was no mass exodus of players on their own terms. It seemed horrible for us at the time, I guess the Doggies fans have it even worse. For the record I'm glad we've gone down the road we have, I like Richo and reckon his game plan will be great to watch in a couple of years when we're used to it and have a stronger core... Lyon's plan took a couple of years to settle...

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Harvey To Hayes wrote: I like Richo and reckon his game plan will be great to watch in a couple of years when we're used to it and have a stronger core... Lyon's plan took a couple of years to settle...
Will Richo get to keep his game plan once Beveridge comes on board as Director of Coaching..

What does he direct, the way we play ?

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
gringo
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:Megsie, are you using a Samsung Tablet?

We bought the kids two galaxy tabs for Christmas and they were s***, had problems staying logged onto wifi, wouldn't load some apps and just generally glitchy. I gave them to a refugee centre and grabbed iPads for the kids. The Samsungs* were absolute crap I hate Apple but their products at least work properly.

*Allegedly

Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

Wayne42 wrote:
Harvey To Hayes wrote: I like Richo and reckon his game plan will be great to watch in a couple of years when we're used to it and have a stronger core... Lyon's plan took a couple of years to settle...
Will Richo get to keep his game plan once Beveridge comes on board as Director of Coaching..

Fair point, don't know how the balance will shift with that appointment. Hopefully whichever way they go the change is positive...

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Harvey To Hayes wrote:
Wayne42 wrote:

Fair point, don't know how the balance will shift with that appointment. Hopefully whichever way they go the change is positive...
I imagine it's more a role to oversee the coaches and see that they are all coherently sending the message across everything from VFL to line coaches. There is so much more to coaching than just doing drills and setting up a game plan now. One guy can't do it all.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:As hard as it is to be a Saints supporter sometimes, it's like a day at Disneyland compared to the mind numbing mediocrity of life as a Footscray fan. Even more small-time than our operation and without much potential of growing barring an unexpected surge of interest in the UK, it's fair to say their lows will never be quite as low as ours, but neither will their highs be as high. They are the only teambesides us to have only won one flag, barring expansion teams of course, and their recent pinnacles of success were all semi final, two of which they lost to us. We can be thankful that our heroes are the likes of Harvey, Leowe, Baldock, Barker and Reiwoldt, rather than the slightly inferior Whitten, Grant, Hawkins, West and Cooney.

I feel sympathy for them but I'm ashamed to say I'm also thankful for them. I hoped I haven't jinxed us!
None of ours are known as Mr Football. You really do disrespect EJ!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
loris
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
Austinnn wrote:As hard as it is to be a Saints supporter sometimes, it's like a day at Disneyland compared to the mind numbing mediocrity of life as a Footscray fan. Even more small-time than our operation and without much potential of growing barring an unexpected surge of interest in the UK, it's fair to say their lows will never be quite as low as ours, but neither will their highs be as high. They are the only teambesides us to have only won one flag, barring expansion teams of course, and their recent pinnacles of success were all semi final, two of which they lost to us. We can be thankful that our heroes are the likes of Harvey, Leowe, Baldock, Barker and Reiwoldt, rather than the slightly inferior Whitten, Grant, Hawkins, West and Cooney.

Agree BS....................... obviously poster never saw EJ play............... a number of our players Austinn mentions I would say are 'slightly inferior' to Ted Whitten.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:

Agree BS....................... obviously poster never saw EJ play............... a number of our players Austinn mentions I would say are 'slightly inferior' to Ted Whitten.
Ah, but, Loris, did you ever see Mr Footy at work off the park? Those who did came to understand just why a telly production company eventually chose "Mythbusters" as a title for a program.

If Mr Foody had been subjected to the scrutiny endured by the modern day practitioners he wouldn't have lasted 2 seasons.

I stopped subscribing to myths when I was 7. The adherence to that belief was only ever challenged once - by a bloke named Darrel Baldock. He was a complete anomaly who was able to completely confirm his exceptionalism when you dealt with him, even 20+ years later. The exception sustains the rule, yet again.

But, Mr Footy? A myth. And, I don't care how many succumbed to that myth - they're wrong.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote:
loris wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:

Ah, but, Loris, did you ever see Mr Footy at work off the park? Those who did came to understand just why a telly production company eventually chose "Mythbusters" as a title for a program.

If Mr Foody had been subjected to the scrutiny endured by the modern day practitioners he wouldn't have lasted 2 seasons.

I stopped subscribing to myths when I was 7. The adherence to that belief was only ever challenged once - by a bloke named Darrel Baldock. He was an utter anomaly who was able to completely confirm his exceptionalism when you dealt with him, even 20+ years later. The exception sustains the rule, yet again.

But, Mr Footy? A myth. And, I don't care how many succumbed to that myth - they're wrong.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Bloody hell, I buggered up that bit of editing.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:Megsie, are you using a Samsung Tablet?
Me too. Don't hit the back button after you submit your post. Problem solved.

SS Hall of Fame

Dear oh me, to think that at times over the last few years I worried about our club.

What a rabble the Bulldogs are, at least we know how to get to the big dance. I am also confident we have learned where we were deficient in our quest and have some idea about what it takes to win a premiership. The Bulldogs have no idea whatsoever.

The Bulldogs have played a tough accountable brand of contested footy under McCartney, what they lack is good talls. Last year they should have traded Griffen (who would never have been there at the time of their next tilt) and pick 4 to GWS in exchange for pick 1 (Boyd). They just were not bold enough, as bold as we have been.

They should now seize on this opportunity to enhance their list for the future, instead they are crying about losing a 28yo player and have moved on the Coach.

Losers and chokers, always will be.

loris
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote:
The OtherThommo wrote:
loris wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:

I stopped subscribing to myths when I was 7. The adherence to that belief was only ever challenged once - by a bloke named Darrel Baldock. He was an utter anomaly who was able to completely confirm his exceptionalism when you dealt with him, even 20+ years later. The exception sustains the rule, yet again.

I really can't understand what you are talking about ToT................ I'm not certain what scrutiny of modern day practitioners has to do with the Whitten era.

If you read my comment.... I did say a number of our players that Austinn mentions are 'slightly inferior' to Ted Whitten..... I did not say all the players Austinn mentions are inferior.

Actually I find it very difficult to compare players, who didn't play in similar positions. Hence the only Saints I can c/f Whitten with are Baldock, Loewe & Riewoldt.

I saw live every game that Darrel Baldock played for St. Kilda. Up until his final 2 seasons I saw live every game Stewie Loewe played in Melbourne, and many games he played in other states (tho not every). Sadly I haven't seen Reiwoldt play live as much as those other two, because I moved to WA, and apart from finals, the odd trip to Melbourne or other states and the games Roo plays in WA........ so I have to assess his abilities through watching telecasts..... and that IMO is limiting ('tho I know Big Mart would disagree)

I saw Ted Whitten play (live) every match he played against St Kilda.......... and I hate to admit it, he was rather inspirational.

If I was rating them, Baldock, IMO would be the superior player of them all. The skills that portly Saint displayed on the football field beggared belief. Next I would rank Ted Whitten in the CHF position ahead of Loewe & Riewoldt. However, truthfull I find it difficult to rate players of one era with those of another. The game has changed, the conditions of the grounds have changed immensely.

Ofcourse, there is bias in my opinion..... I am a Saint supporter, I saw Baldock play more than I saw Whitten play. I have to admit I was mesmerised by Baldock the first time he played a match for the Saints. It was his first practise match at the Junction Oval. We had heard so much about Baldoock, the star from Tassie who was to have his first try out. There was a largish crowd at a ground for a practise match. When he ran out on the field, this shortish (for a CHF), dumpy, balding bloke with legs that were tending to be bandy, supporters drew their breath.... he didn't look like a footballer at all. Then he promptly put on a footy masterclass.

Going home on the tram that afternoon, Dad said... "I think you kids may be in luck............ this Baldock bloke looks like he's got the skills and footy nouse to carry the Saints on his back to better things".

Now if you are implying other things about Whitten ToT............ as, I assume you are, with your comment - did I ever see Mr Footy at work off the park.

No I didn't, and, quite frankly possibly wouldn't even have been interested in what he did off the park in those days.....that's possibly the stuff of myth and rumour!!

I was solely focussed in them there days, I followed the Saints and their happenings, that was enough for me. I only took note of opposition players/teams when the Saints actually played against them. And sadly :( :( :( :( I can assure you Ted Whitten played many a blinder against the Saints, so it wasn't hard to notice how good a player he was. Just like I noticed other champion players from other teams, Skilton, Clarke, Barassi, Nichols, etc etc. Whether Whitten had 'blinders' or whatever off the field............... not interested. Football for me was watching the game day match, then sometimes, watching the Sat night replays or World of Sport on Sunday morning. My life had more to it than footy during the Whitten era, than to be interested 24/7 on rumours or myths about opposing players.

So my response to the original post related to my opinion of the players football abilities as whether they were 'inferior' or not....... and I don't think Whitten was inferior to some Saints players mentioned. But maybe I should have considered each player Austinn mentioned, then again one would be having so many qualifications as it would be comparing apples/oranges.

Actually a re-read of Austinn's post, he mentions the word 'heros'............ so maybe he wasn't referring to football skills, and it the moral compass of these various players he was alluding to :? :? :? :? :? :? and I have interpreted the post incorrectly. And your response to me was all about the moral standing of Whitten?????? Is that the reason for your hissy fit re myths????

Then again I haven't heard that any of the players mentioned Saints or Bulldogs have been awarded medals of bravery, valour awards, or some outstanding community award (not related to their football prowess) that would put them in the hero category for me. IMO, they are all just skillful footballers, some superior in footy skills than the others maybe :? :? :? :? :? :?

PS............ You'll notice ToT I didn't call Whitten - Mr Football - that was another poster............... I just thought some Saints mentioned were slightly inferior to EJ. I did find the rest of Austinn's post v. good......... Austinn's posts I find, are always interesting and informative. :P :P

Really not into myths and legends.......... wasn't my fav topic in Literature at Uni............. too grounded this ole girl :wink: :wink: