Is Pelchen sticking around?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Is Pelchen sticking around?

No, no, he'll never work again in this industry. It was foretold.
Hope he goes to Hawks again.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
FQF
SS Life Member

This is all part of the 40 page plan. Stage 2 has him crossing enemy lines to land us some stars for cheap.

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

satchmo wrote:
noddy04 wrote:Im not trying to be silly here but can someone please tell me exactly what and how Mr Pelchen helped our club to be a better club. We never won a flag while he was here with our club . Our list hasnt really become a powerhouse has it?. Just wondering what he actually did.
I guess if you take that view then everyone ever associated with the club bar about forty people are a complete waste of space.
Agree!

Ross who?
Club Player

Jaxons?? Like to comment on this?

Blake Acres fan club VIP
spert
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:Let's be clear - Chris Pelchen was head of football.

He was not head of list management - that (was and partly still is) Ameet Bains.

He was not head of recruiting - that's Tony Elshaug.

He was not director of coaching - that's Luke Beveridge.

He was not head of development - that's Simon McPhee.

We still have stability and great people across all those key roles.

Pelchen had a significant role in list strategy in conjunction with Bains, but Bains is across the detail. Bains will retain some list management responsibilities when he takes on more of a commercial role.

We have promoted Bains because of his ability, and at least two other AFL clubs were interested in poaching him. Ameet is rated extremely highly within the industry. He's also very well liked at the club. Would not surprise me if he gets offered a CEO gig in the next two years. For the first time in a long time, we have developed an outstanding performer from within.
I presume if he was the head of football, in a football club, then he had a major role above most others, and has the overriding say on most departments to do with football. Sounds like some power struggles are going on at the club, but what do you expect when a financially struggling club forks out $500k to get rid of senior coach for standing on a few toes, then presents one of the most uncompetitive and worst seasons the club has experienced.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Ross who? wrote:Jaxons?? Like to comment on this?
Cant - he is clearing out his desk

You are garbage - Enough said
paddy
Club Player

Good spin from saints.com.au

It kind of makes sense, they have the strategy document, now they just need people to implement...

good to see that Finnis isn't afraid to lead...

Ross who?
Club Player

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
Therein lies my request for a comment....

Blake Acres fan club VIP
tweedaletomanning
Club Player

Meh!

He came in 2009 when we were unbeatable!

He leaves the club in 2014 when we might be lucky to win 3 games in the coming season.

What the hell has he been doing?

Trading out stars to get draft picks.

What a rocket surgeon...

amusingname
Club Player

tweedaletomanning wrote:Meh!

He leaves the club in 2014 when we might be lucky to win 3 games in the coming season.

What a rocket surgeon...

Ahhh, he started towards the end of 2011.

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

amusingname wrote:

What a rocket surgeon...

Ahhh, he started towards the end of 2011.
Even better job then!! :wink:

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Well thats another one right for the rumour mill.

Not sure how I feel about this. Does someone have a copy of the spreadsheet?

I hope Elshaugh knows what hes doing come the draft. Im still not certain what Pelchen actually does.
If Bevo has taken on a powerful coaching position and Elshaugh does the drafting - what does the Pelch actually really do? Just be the boss at meetings and get the bigger muffins?
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Tue 21 Oct 2014 2:32pm, edited 1 time in total.

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:Well thats another right for the rumour mill.

I hope Elshaugh knows what hes doing come the draft. Im still not certain what Pelchen actually does.
If Bevo has taken on a powerful coaching position and Elshaugh does the drafting - what does the Pelch actually really do? Just be the boss at meetings and get the bigger muffins?
Con, Like your work BTW.

I understand that the spreadsheet should be the intellectual property of the club, seeing as he produced it while under their employ.

But who knows?

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:Well thats another right for the rumour mill.

TONY74, WHERE ARE YOU? WHERE IS THE SPREADSHEET?!?!

Always loyal
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

I just read this bit of Caro's piece.

"Pelchen, who joined St Kilda from Hawthorn three-and-a-half years ago, raised eyebrows internally last week when he outlined the club's long-term strategy in a media report which came so soon before his impending departure and without the club's full knowledge."

Did he go rogue? Was this part of a job campaign?

Bloody hell. In Pelican we now distrust.

Exhale slowly. :shock:

Always loyal
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

I'm going to put the blinkers on here, and say 'what's the big deal?'.

Caroline Wilson does not let this sort of s*** go through to the keeper if there's anything to it. She's like a dog with a bone with this type of stuff.

She's mentioned his 'impending departure', so we can assume he was always leaving at some point in the near future.

She's revealed his 'future was uncertain' recently. So again, I'm assuming it was known internally that he was leaving.

One of either Jacko or Tony74 (can't recall whom) mentioned a while ago that Pelchen wouldn't be in the box this year, as he was only in there to keep an eye on Watters and then to help out as the footy dept. hadn't been settled yet.

So joining the dots, I'd say he doesn't really have much of a role anymore. He's created 'the spreadsheet' and sold it to the board. He's had 2 years to get the wheels in motion which he has done.

So what else would be do now??

I'd resign too.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

A footy club appoints a coupla new higher ups. They decide to have a review. One of the prior appointed higher ups can't locate a seat when the review music stops - the post jam drinks' session gets labelled a "restructure".

I'm afraid it just seems like footy business as usual to me. It's a small industry with a merry go round, people come and go, and few hang about. If a club's successful, they claim their "restructure's" are necessary to 'refresh' the organisation. Not so successful clubs will claim their restructures are necessary because they are moving to the next phase of their return to the top, and those who took them through the earlier phases are not such a good 'fit' for the next phase.

In fact, footy clubs are not much different to any other business. New people get appointed, they get out their stamp, and others move on. It's just bidness.

Meh.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
I just spat coffee all over my screen.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Johnny Member wrote: So joining the dots, I'd say he doesn't really have much of a role anymore. He's created 'the spreadsheet' and sold it to the board. He's had 2 years to get the wheels in motion which he has done.
I read the Saints presser and really couldn't make sense of what the underlying message was, but I reckon Johnny your explanation makes more sense than anything else Ive read on here ...ie that he was effectively a 'consultant', signed on to help with a restructure of the list , clean up a bit of a mess, and setup some underlying policies - then move on once the club was in a position to run with it themselves.

Personally I would have preferred he stayed the journey for the next 2 years , but it does sound there wasn't much left for him to do.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote:
Johnny Member wrote: So joining the dots, I'd say he doesn't really have much of a role anymore. He's created 'the spreadsheet' and sold it to the board. He's had 2 years to get the wheels in motion which he has done.
I read the Saints presser and really couldn't make sense of what the underlying message was, but I reckon Johnny your explanation makes more sense than anything else Ive read on here ...ie that he was effectively a 'consultant', signed on to help with a restructure of the list , clean up a bit of a mess, and setup some underlying policies - then move on once the club was in a position to run with it themselves.

Personally I would have preferred he stayed the journey for the next 2 years , but it does sound there wasn't much left for him to do.
That is the logical conclusion for me as well. I dont think its a huge conspiracy or worth getting knickers on a knot about.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

no big loss guys... more then confident in Ameet and AR.

Since the rules changed with PP I don't think Pelican is that great anymore and TBH he did some ok things but nothing really amazing. Plus the guy sounds like a bit of power tripper so no need for big heads at the club anymore.

All the best in your new swamp Pelican, onwards and upwards Sainters!

Fortius Quo Fidelius
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote:A footy club appoints a coupla new higher ups. They decide to have a review. One of the prior appointed higher ups can't locate a seat when the review music stops - the post jam drinks' session gets labelled a "restructure".

I'm afraid it just seems like footy business as usual to me. It's a small industry with a merry go round, people come and go, and few hang about. If a club's successful, they claim their "restructure's" are necessary to 'refresh' the organisation. Not so successful clubs will claim their restructures are necessary because they are moving to the next phase of their return to the top, and those who took them through the earlier phases are not such a good 'fit' for the next phase.

In fact, footy clubs are not much different to any other business. New people get appointed, they get out their stamp, and others move on. It's just bidness.

Meh.
Couldn't have put it better. A big "meh" from me as well. Roll on 2015.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

What a rocket surgeon...
Trying to fix the shambles that was our total player payments. Blame his predecessors. The place was in free fall, and nothing was going to stop were we are now. At least we didn't top up to stay mid table.

Don't care that he is gone just never trusted him. Was sacked from the Hawks and wouldn't doubt we also sacked him as well but no proof on that. Never trusted the Yabby comment either because he wasn't even employed by us when Yabby died. And Sachmo does it matter if I have a go at him now as we don't employ him. Never trusted him and don't nothing yet to rate him. Hopefully his legacy proves that completely wrong.

jaxons
Club Player

Bunk_Moreland wrote:

Very very funny!
Chris and Matt did not see eye to eye.
Not much more to it than this.