Is Pelchen sticking around?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Re: Is Pelchen sticking around?

SainterK wrote:Potential replacements...

SOS
Harvey
McKenna
Bomber
Bowden
McCartney

just throwing names up...
Maybe
No
No
No
No
No

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Scoop
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:
SainterK wrote:Potential replacements...

SOS
Harvey
McKenna
Bomber
Bowden
McCartney

just throwing names up...
Maybe
No
No
No
No
No
No
No
No
No
No
No

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Balme
Bassett
Worsfold

Any other names?

I haven't heard of no or maybe....

:)

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/p ... 197sc.html
The football department review was overseen by club chief Matt Finnis and involved Pelchen. His departure is understood to have been amicable despite rumours for some weeks that he was searching for a new role in the knowledge he would leave the Saints before the end of the year.

The club is expected to focus its search for a new football boss based more on performance and less on list management and strategy.

Pelchen, who joined St Kilda from Hawthorn three-and-a-half years ago, raised eyebrows internally last week when he outlined the club's long-term strategy in a media report which came so soon before his impending departure and without the club's full knowledge.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saint-stu
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
saint-stu wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Ok so 8 pages in.

Apart from the complex spreadsheet (and the bonus points for left footers) can anyone tell me what this bloke actually did and/or how he got into footy admin in the first place?
To me it seemed like he was the list manager with the "head of football" title.
Ok so what is Bains?
He's the COO or some other fuzzy executive title like that.

1ac46a38
saint-stu
Club Player

Hah we're not the only ones to think it

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-21/wil ... work-again
In Pelchen and soon-to-be chief operating officer Ameet Bains, the Saints were overstocked with list management types, but still lacked that overarching football manager, with a handle on high performance, sports medicine, compliance, coaching, media and the myriad other football matters that are critical to any club.

1ac46a38
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

:roll: :lol: :!: :!:

Poor Chris

caro has him leaving this earthly world..
if you listen through Matt Finnis and the Pstorius news and get to Caro she suggests there were indications for some weeks that Chris was ' not long for this world' ???

http://media.mytalk.com.au/3AW/AUDIO/21 ... stoday.mp3

i

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
stinger
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:
stinger wrote:
tweedaletomanning wrote:Meh!

He came in 2009 when we were unbeatable!

He leaves the club in 2014 when we might be lucky to win 3 games in the coming season.

What the hell has he been doing?

Trading out stars to get draft picks.

What a rocket surgeon...
+1.....yep...f***ed the club...now he has f***ed off.....brilliant........not...
I very rarely agree with you (not that nobody is wrong or right) however this is f***ed.

The bloke presided over two coaches going, a bunch of players going and now he leaves because a bloke that came in after is difficult to work with?

From my experience, the assholes get results. Assholes win.

I win.

so do i mate...so do i .....oh...and i never agree with you.... :wink:.......except for this time.... :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/p ... 197sc.html
The football department review was overseen by club chief Matt Finnis and involved Pelchen. His departure is understood to have been amicable despite rumours for some weeks that he was searching for a new role in the knowledge he would leave the Saints before the end of the year.

The club is expected to focus its search for a new football boss based more on performance and less on list management and strategy.

Pelchen, who joined St Kilda from Hawthorn three-and-a-half years ago, raised eyebrows internally last week when he outlined the club's long-term strategy in a media report which came so soon before his impending departure and without the club's full knowledge.

raised some eyebrows here too from memory....the guy's evidently a turd.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Seems odd that he's leaving after a review that was conducted by Finnis and himself.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Scoop wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:Agents of change rarely get to stay once the changes start flowing through. Often they are better at instigating change, than managing or bedding down that change. Sometimes they get too addicted to making major changes, and don't know when to steady the ship.

Recruiting/drafting wise the Saints had become abysmal....

We needed a kick up the bum, and Pelchen came and gave us our biggest offield kick up the bum since RB and GT arrived at the Saints in their "second coming".

We are clearly in a much better state recruiting wise even if some calls may have been too clever.

We will be a much better team for Pelchen having come to the Saints, but he had reached his use by date.

But make no mistake, if he had not come and shaken us up, we would be in an even sorrier state.
Totally agree sRr.

In my view Pelchen was brought in to make the hard decisions about the composition of the list and to get the TPP sorted - this is what he does. He has done that and laid the foundations for the next phase of the club's redevelopment. Effectively he has done himself out of a job.

I reckon the next bloke the club will be looking for is someone who can oversee all facets of the football department by melding and maximising the coaching, sports science/medical and development aspects into one seamless high performance unit.

I am looking forward to the next phase of the club's redevelopment.
Me too.

If this is the Job Description : Overarching football manager, with a handle on high performance, sports medicine, compliance, coaching, media and the myriad other football matters that are critical to any club. then it will not just be one of the many ex-players like Banger that they are nominating. If an ex-AFL footballer they will need to have added to their experience, and not just be an ex-AFL player that has coached a bit.

Also I think some have forgotten that Luke Beveridge has joined us as Director of Coaching for 2015. So a Football Department rejig was already underway!!

The position is similar to that held by Richardson when he was director of coaching and strategy at Port Adelaide alongside coach Ken Hinkley in 2013.

So look for the new person to have skills, capabilities and experience that Luke does not have.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Tue 21 Oct 2014 11:43pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Balme
Bassett
Worsfold

Any other names?

I haven't heard of no or maybe....

:)
We have recently hired Luke Beveridge as Director of Coaching as part of a new structure. So I would doubt that we need another ex-player with coaching experience. While we may hire a ex player, I would assume it would be for other skills that they would be hired.

We could even look outside the AFL world...remember that football strategy and list management will presumably not be part of the new role.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Scoop
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Me too.

If this is the Job Description : Overarching football manager, with a handle on high performance, sports medicine, compliance, coaching, media and the myriad other football matters that are critical to any club. then it will not just be one of the many ex-players like Banger that they are nominating. If an ex-AFL footballer they will need to have added to their experience, and not just be an ex-AFL player that has coached a bit.

Also I think some have forgotten that Luke Beveridge has joined us as Director of Coaching for 2015. So a Football Department rejig was already underway!!

The position is similar to that held by Richardson when he was director of coaching and strategy at Port Adelaide alongside coach Ken Hinkley in 2013.

So look for the new person to have skills, capabilities and experience that Luke does not have.
Definitely.

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
Austinnn
Club Player

Bunk_Moreland wrote:Mat Finnis on SEN, telling porkies. Amicable parting :rolleyes:

Not pushed - heard that Finnis suprised :D

Corporate speak blah blah blah - not answering the question

Player retention - right environment players will stay

Beveridge - will be poached? Indicated he will stay at Saints - sounds gone.

Bains - elevated over Pelchan's carcass (paraphrased).

Debt - Saints are stuffed. Begging from the AFL (paraphrased).

Constantly kissing AFL's arse (paraphrased)

Petracca - basically Finnis just said he will be at the Saints.

NZ talent - still looking at international schlorships

basically said nothing
This resigned/sacked arguement that a few of you are indulging in is a bit pointless. Let's not be naive. Whatever the heads say in public doesn't really mean much. Here's the general idea...

When an employee is dismissed from employment at a company, the policy of almost every company (including reddit) is not to comment, either publicly or internally. This is because companies have no desire to ruin someone's future employment prospects by broadcasting to the world that they were fired. In return, the polite expectation is that the employee will not go shooting their mouth off about the company especially (as in your case) through irresponsibly unfounded speculation. Signing a non-disparagement indicates that you have no intention to do this, so the company can then say "Ok, if anyone comes asking for a reference on this guy, we needn't say he was fired, just give a mildly positive reference." Even if you don't sign the non-disparagement, the company will give you the benefit of the doubt and not disparage you or make any negative statements first.
Quote from one of the head honchos at Reddit - from vaguely amusing story of a sacked Reddit employee being called out on his critique of former employer.
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/ ... ma/cl1ygat

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

remboy wrote:Seems odd that he's leaving after a review that was conducted by Finnis and himself.
As soemone else stated, Pelch probably wanted to be CEO so he didn't have to take orders from anyone.

Makes sense.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

there are no more players to trade so with the strategy in place Pelchen has gone.
in next couple of years we may be looking for some big free agency trades so hope we have the expertise on board at that time.
glad the club are focusing on high performance (to get the most out of some of the serious talent we will have going into next season).
good luck to The Pelican - good job.
this is a strong move by Finnis.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
spert
Saintsational Legend

I'm tending to think AR might have said to the board, it's him or me.

ace
Saintsational Legend

I just want group of guys that work as a TEAM.

Why?

Because football is won by teams not by individuals.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:I just want group of guys that work as a TEAM.

Why?

Because football is won by teams not by individuals.
Well support another club then, this is part of our cultcha!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Kernal75
Club Player

So now we have no List manager because of a focus on high performance. Every other club has a list manager and a "head of recruitment" yet we decide we don't need a list manager. Personally it smacks of tightening the belt financially by consolidating positions. I really do hope that Finnis (the afl sanctioned CEO) has the commercial boys to broker some deals that will see us win financially. How about we focus on sponsorship and revenue a bit more rather than restructuring a football department that really didn't need changing right at this point in time!

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

spert wrote:I'm tending to think AR might have said to the board, it's him or me.
There may be an element of that, but I am inclined to think that there is a much larger element of what has actually been said by FInnis. AS a club with a tight budget, if we are at the stage where we need to start focussing more heavily on young player development than on list restructuring, then we need to spend what resources we have in the more pertinent areas. If Pelchen was difficult to get along with, he may well have helped them speed up that decision making process. Whilst there are actions that still need to be executed on list development ovwe rthe next twelve months, the plans for them will have been in place for one to two years anyway.

From what I have heard, he would have been heading for the door under his own steam in the medium term anyway, so he himself clearly saw his task as nearly complete anyway.........

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:I am inclined to think that there is a much larger element of what has actually been said by FInnis. AS a club with a tight budget, if we are at the stage where we need to start focussing more heavily on young player development than on list restructuring, then we need to spend what resources we have in the more pertinent areas. If Pelchen was difficult to get along with, he may well have helped them speed up that decision making process. Whilst there are actions that still need to be executed on list development ovwe rthe next twelve months, the plans for them will have been in place for one to two years anyway.

From what I have heard, he would have been heading for the door under his own steam in the medium term anyway, so he himself clearly saw his task as nearly complete anyway.........
Agree, it seems that Finnis has looked at the wage structure and feels that we should be spending some of Pelchen's wage in a different area… Pelchen doesn't want a pay cut so they shake hands and walk away.

There are some fantastic imaginations on here though.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Bains was promoted to COO a month ago and Finnis is a new CEO.

Pelch was marginalised in any case. It makes sense for him to move on from both sides. Remember in the Nettlefold years Pelch was de facto CEO because Nettlefold was CEO in title only. He wasnt smart enough to fully run the joint. That has changed with Finnis on board as he seems much much more capable.

The Pelch was an agent of change. He was the driver during a period of great change. Time to move on.
Whether he did the right thing in his time will not be known for another two years.
The club was on the brink of oblivion and living in a fools paradadise at the end of 2011 when he arrived and needed a kick up the backside anyways.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I heard he had a crack at Plugger's mother-in-law… that was the last straw.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:
spert wrote:I'm tending to think AR might have said to the board, it's him or me.
There may be an element of that, but I am inclined to think that there is a much larger element of what has actually been said by FInnis. AS a club with a tight budget, if we are at the stage where we need to start focussing more heavily on young player development than on list restructuring, then we need to spend what resources we have in the more pertinent areas. If Pelchen was difficult to get along with, he may well have helped them speed up that decision making process. Whilst there are actions that still need to be executed on list development ovwe rthe next twelve months, the plans for them will have been in place for one to two years anyway.

They had the Buzz on SEN and he was suggesting it's cost cutting. He also pointed out it is hard to get better systems in your football department by cutting costs. I'm worried we are getting restructured by the AFL because we were too wasteful under Netters and co. I hope we don't go too frugal to compete. When football department spend has gone nuts we are going on a severe belt tightening blitz. It won't matter if we can develop and recruit well but if we don't get that right we are going to be down a while.