Picks 21 and 22 options

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Re: Picks 21 and 22 options

Con Gorozidis wrote:
stinger wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:How would he get to Port? Even if uncontracted he has no chance of getting to port.

port or adelaide...take your pick...he is a croweater and wants to go home.....in fact he never wanted to leave sa....
But how in terms of mechanics of a trade?
Wouldnt be easy unless Crows finish bottom 2.
Port wont have a top 10 pick and the Lions would need an absolute gun in return. So what he wants doesnt help him get anywhere.
I'm sure at least one of the SA teams can put together a 3-way deal to get a gun young kid back home to SA.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Megamaguire
Club Player

PICK WELL @ 21 & 22

Given that our club has worked hard to secure picks 20 & 21 I think we should be exercising some caution.
Last year I believe the club did some good homework and were ready to pounce on Dunstan when he suddenly became available to us. We saw how those skills and experience were so well developed that he could get himself regularly involved in the thick of things during his 1st. AFL season.
Billings at an earlier pick also demonstrated undeniable skill when given the chance. Acers could continue the theme I just haven't seen as much of him to date.
My gut reaction is to simply try and emulate what we generally believe was a solid recruiting year from the National Draft in 2013. It might be hard passing up on a big fwd. like Reece McKenzie or deciding against Oscar McDonald as a potentially vital link in our future spine for a more mid-sized player who the club actually rates as more skilled but I think it is the wiser path.

Every pick is a gamble of coarse but some are less gambles when you know the range of the skill set individual players demonstrate already.
If we can avoid desperate and hopeful picks just to fill needy spots I think it is the best approach at present.

I think we would go well with Petra as our 1st. pick this year but imagine the impact if we somehow drafted a Billings and a Dunstan (for arguments' sake) that ended up available @ picks 20 and 21 as well ?
If we stick with Petra it gives us more of a chance of a clean sweep - 3 players with the real potential of being A-Graders.

That would generate some momentum I believe towards a resurgent St.Kilda.

G O S A I N T S ! :D

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
Die Hard 7
Club Player

[quote="Megamaguire"]

I think we would go well with Petra as our 1st. pick this year but imagine the impact if we somehow drafted a Billings and a Dunstan (for arguments' sake) that ended up available @ picks 20 and 21 as well ?
If we stick with Petra it gives us more of a chance of a clean sweep - 3 players with the real potential of being A-Graders.

I reckon that the billings may come in the form of Nakia (class) at 21 and Dunstan may come in the form of Bampton (grunt) 41, then we could grab someone else (would love to see Lamb fall to 21) or the next best option.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
stinger wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:How would he get to Port? Even if uncontracted he has no chance of getting to port.

port or adelaide...take your pick...he is a croweater and wants to go home.....in fact he never wanted to leave sa....
But how in terms of mechanics of a trade?
Wouldnt be easy unless Crows finish bottom 2.
Port wont have a top 10 pick and the Lions would need an absolute gun in return. So what he wants doesnt help him get anywhere.
I'm sure at least one of the SA teams can put together a 3-way deal to get a gun young kid back home to SA.
without a top 2 pick it becomes exremely difficult.
They would have to lose players of the ilk of a sloane or gray to get it done.
but I guess for aish they would do that.

I could imagine something like Dangerfield to Saints/Demons/Dogs. Pick 1 or 2 to Brisbane. Aish to Crows.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Wed 29 Oct 2014 1:27pm, edited 1 time in total.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Megamaguire I hope you are right it would kill me to see us go past Oscar McDonald particularly at 21 or 22. I see him as the best big key defender in the draft and would be our future key to build our defence around!

The highlights package doesn't do Reece McKenzie any favours as he is playing against much smaller opponents, but what he does show for a huge lad he is able to get separation on a lead and has a huge leap. I read on BF that a poster believed Adelaide may take him early - time will tell?

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Hemi Baxter
Club Player

stinger wrote:

I'm not sure that's right. It's Collingwood that are making the running for him.

Scoop
Club Player

At 21/22, I am hoping for two of Cockatoo, Menadue, Garlett, McDonald, McKenzie....in that order. McDonald may slip to 41, but I doubt it. Lamb and DeGoey may slip to 21/22...but once again, I doubt it.

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
Jimmy O'Dea
Club Player

Lamb is a concern and he will be available. We don't have enough quality ball users by foot as it is. We can't afford another who is not a good disposer of the ball by foot.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Jimmy O'Dea wrote:Lamb is a concern and he will be available. We don't have enough quality ball users by foot as it is. We can't afford another who is not a good disposer of the ball by foot.
and one that is noted for not bringing effort at times with disciplinary issues

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Word is McKenzie will be taken at 14, means someone drops down a rung. Weller and Cockatoo would be incredible!

Weller could be considered the AFLs first 'drive risk' for Vic clubs if he cant play with Mav. Cockatoo just looks crazy good, if he makes it to us he is easily the 'Acres' pick of this draft.

I think heaps of clubs are in DeGoey, so maybe a Maynard type will slip a few spots to 21 for us.

Lamb could be anything at an elite level, I think we rate him and think we can get the best out of him, just a hunch no inside word.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:Word is McKenzie will be taken at 14, means someone drops down a rung. Weller and Cockatoo would be incredible!

Weller could be considered the AFLs first 'drive risk' for Vic clubs if he cant play with Mav. Cockatoo just looks crazy good, if he makes it to us he is easily the 'Acres' pick of this draft.

I think heaps of clubs are in DeGoey, so maybe a Maynard type will slip a few spots to 21 for us.

Lamb could be anything at an elite level, I think we rate him and think we can get the best out of him, just a hunch no inside word.

Crows taking McKenzie?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
Jimmy O'Dea wrote:Lamb is a concern and he will be available. We don't have enough quality ball users by foot as it is. We can't afford another who is not a good disposer of the ball by foot.
yeah....a certain club spread the same sort of rubbish around about darling too....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Devilhead wrote:
yeah....a certain club spread the same sort of rubbish around about darling too....
Ahhhh of course ..... a brilliantly designed ruse by us to stop other teams from drafting him ..... How did I not see this :shock: :shock:

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

So 21 & 22 are going to be Weller and Lamb, both having tanked to be recruited by us. What are we Essendon? :shock:

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:So 21 & 22 are going to be Weller and Lamb, both having tanked to be recruited by us. What are we Essendon? :shock:
I heard that Petracca has been tanking in order to get to us :twisted:

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Lambikins seems to have as much 'up-side/x-factor/could-be-anything to him as pretty much anyone in the draft.

'Attitude' seems to be the universal question mark.

I do wonder however, looking at the combine testing results, he's damn good in the endurance trials.

Unless one is an absolute freakin' freak, I can't see how one could have great endurance without... knuckling down and training hard... :idea:

Get hold of him Saintas!

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Beekay
SS Life Member

I wish I hadn't of watched Cockatoo's highlights....

He couldn't last to our picks, but what a ill feeling; thinking he could have slid if not for his performance on GF day....

TAKE HIM PICK 1!

But seriously...

Two of Cockatoo, De Goey, Lamb... you'd be walking on sunshine.

Realistically, 1 of those & Neal-Bullen..

Who the hell knows though. It should be a very interesting first round for Saints fans who've been keeping an eye on prospects.

Daniels will be interesting, no matter where he's taken.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Beekay wrote:I wish I hadn't of watched Cockatoo's highlights....

He couldn't last to our picks, but what a ill feeling; thinking he could have slid if not for his performance on GF day....

TAKE HIM PICK 1!

But seriously...

Who the hell knows though. It should be a very interesting first round for Saints fans who've been keeping an eye on prospects.

Neal Bullen is okay to me but nothing outstanding. Has a bit of ability to get that ball and work through traffic but I really hope we go for some x factor and run. Cockatoo has it. Lamb is a very iffy proposition. I like the good bits but he could be a bust also. That said I was all over Bontempelli last year then couldn't work out how he'd transition to AFL. I thought he'd be another Andreas Everitt in the end and jumped off.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
Beekay wrote:I wish I hadn't of watched Cockatoo's highlights....

TAKE HIM PICK 1!

But seriously...

Neal Bullen is okay to me but nothing outstanding. Has a bit of ability to get that ball and work through traffic but I really hope we go for some x factor and run. Cockatoo has it. Lamb is a very iffy proposition. I like the good bits but he could be a bust also. That said I was all over Bontempelli last year then couldn't work out how he'd transition to AFL. I thought he'd be another Andreas Everitt in the end and jumped off.

nothing wrong with andreas mate...he'd get a game with us...everything that ryce wasn't....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

I agree with BK above... if Petracca wasn't in the draft I'd be taking Cockatoo. This guy will be a star. I'd even put him ahead of Brayshaw as being the second best player in the draft.

Be wonderful if he made it though to pick 21... but probably unlikely.

He'll be a player that people come to watch... incredible balance, but also seems to display 360 degrees awareness of what's around him... and sure has some tricks.

McKenzie is interesting... how can McCartin be rated above him? Ok, (non straight line) agility seems an issue, but the main thing that would concern me is his poor record against better defenders... big worry that one, but he could have a real upside.

Lambikins also looks a natural... we just gotta' motivate him.

James Rose also looked a natural, but can he beef up enough(?)

Touk also looked good... a pretentious wanky name given by wanky parents... except... it really works. 8-) We should get him just to have a Touk on our list.

Be great if young Caleb made it through to either pick 41, or if we're being greedy, the Rookie Draft. I'd really like us to get hold of him.

The other Delaney... unless his foot is totally shot, and since they said it's a hallux problem, I'd be surprised if that's the case... would be a real steal to land him. As another Saintsationalist pointed out, the Delaney brothers could hold down our key defensive posts till into the next decade.

Finally... I really hope that we do not pick-up any of the three 'permission to train with us' blokes.

As for Schnieds... what's going on there? If his body is still up to it then he's one of our very best, but the last few years strongly suggest that his body isn't up to it anymore... if so, why would we rookie him???

Lambikins and Cockatoo... we gotta spread the Darling-esque rumours about how both blokes are KKK members and supporters of ISIS. :twisted:

Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:I agree with BK above... if Petracca wasn't in the draft I'd be taking Cockatoo. This guy will be a star. I'd even put him ahead of Brayshaw as being the second best player in the draft.

He'll be a player that people come to watch... incredible balance, but also seems to display 360 degrees awareness of what's around him... and sure has some tricks.

McKenzie is interesting... how can McCartin be rated above him? Ok, (non straight line) agility seems an issue, but the main thing that would concern me is his poor record against better defenders... big worry that one, but he could have a real upside.

Touk also looked good... a pretentious wanky name given by wanky parents... except... it really works. 8-) We should get him just to have a Touk on our list.

Be great if young Caleb made it through to either pick 41, or if we're being greedy, the Rookie Draft. I'd really like us to get hold of him.

The other Delaney... unless his foot is totally shot, and since they said it's a hallux problem, I'd be surprised if that's the case... would be a real steal to land him. As another Saintsationalist pointed out, the Delaney brothers could hold down our key defensive posts till into the next decade.

Finally... I really hope that we do not pick-up any of the three 'permission to train with us' blokes.

As for Schnieds... what's going on there? If his body is still up to it then he's one of our very best, but the last few years strongly suggest that his body isn't up to it anymore... if so, why would we rookie him???

Lambikins and Cockatoo... we gotta spread the Darling-esque rumours about how both blokes are KKK members and supporters of ISIS. :twisted:

Who is lambikins?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:I agree with BK above... if Petracca wasn't in the draft I'd be taking Cockatoo. This guy will be a star. I'd even put him ahead of Brayshaw as being the second best player in the draft.

Was it Touk or Bohdi Walker that was a relative of Robbie Muir? One of them with an out there christian name. We could get the Roast and the Toucan with a Saints family link.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

The ultimate fantasy outcome is we nail both 21 and 22 and the bombers and blues stuff up 17, 20 and 19.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: Who is lambikins?
Didn't anyone read any books to you when you were a kid, Pluggs? :wink:

Except, seems that our boy may have some tendencies more akin to this guy... and IMHO our club needs to push that line before the draft... :lol:

ace
Saintsational Legend

Re: PICK WELL @ 21 & 22

Megamaguire wrote:Given that our club has worked hard to secure picks 20 & 21 I think we should be exercising some caution.
Last year I believe the club did some good homework and were ready to pounce on Dunstan when he suddenly became available to us. We saw how those skills and experience were so well developed that he could get himself regularly involved in the thick of things during his 1st. AFL season.
Billings at an earlier pick also demonstrated undeniable skill when given the chance. Acers could continue the theme I just haven't seen as much of him to date.
My gut reaction is to simply try and emulate what we generally believe was a solid recruiting year from the National Draft in 2013. It might be hard passing up on a big fwd. like Reece McKenzie or deciding against Oscar McDonald as a potentially vital link in our future spine for a more mid-sized player who the club actually rates as more skilled but I think it is the wiser path.

Every pick is a gamble of coarse but some are less gambles when you know the range of the skill set individual players demonstrate already.
If we can avoid desperate and hopeful picks just to fill needy spots I think it is the best approach at present.

That would generate some momentum I believe towards a resurgent St.Kilda.

G O S A I N T S ! :D

Melbourne had three picks inside 22 in 2008
They took
No1 Jack Watts - still there (Ouch)
(priority pick) No 17 Sam Blease - delisted at end of 2014
No 19 James Strauss - delisted at end of 2014

We have No 1, 21 and 22
We have to get them all right.
We can't afford to do a Melbourne.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA