Picks 21 and 22 options

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ace
Saintsational Legend

Re: Picks 21 and 22 options

Dave McNamara wrote:
plugger66 wrote: Who is lambikins?
Didn't anyone read any books to you when you were a kid, Pluggs? :wink:
They don't read them stories in kid's detention, they sexually assault them instead.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

We need to pick Garlett. Like the last indigenous lad we got from South Fremantle, one N. Winmar. The kid will be a gun and has the right attitude. Has already distanced himself from his cousin and negative influences in W.A. Impressive. Watch his highlights reel on the draft machine. Hope he lasts to pick 21.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:We need to pick Garlett. Like the last indigenous lad we got from South Fremantle, one N. Winmar. The kid will be a gun and has the right attitude. Has already distanced himself from his cousin and negative influences in W.A. Impressive. Watch his highlights reel on the draft machine. Hope he lasts to pick 21.

Id love to have him at the Saints.
We all have a dodgy cousin. Chances are Jarrod will be good. Hopefully his cousin has put other clubs off.

Armagizmo
Club Player

Re: PICK WELL @ 21 & 22

ace wrote: Melbourne had three picks inside 22 in 2008
They took
No1 Jack Watts - still there (Ouch)
(priority pick) No 17 Sam Blease - delisted at end of 2014
No 19 James Strauss - delisted at end of 2014

We have No 1, 21 and 22
We have to get them all right.
We can't afford to do a Melbourne.
that is flipping terrifying. I'll struggle to get to sleep tonight thinking about the possibilities of how bad it could seriously get.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Yep. Doing a Melbourne is pretty scary.
People harp on about them cutting old players like James McDonald but what has really hurt them is losing young guys and atrocious recruiting.

We need to get 3/5 right from 1,21,22,41,Membrey.

5/5 - basically not possible/miraculous
4/5 - pop the champagne - here we come!
3/5 is very good to excellent
2/5 is barely a pass
1/5 will be a disaster (hello Melbourne).
0/5 and we might as well shut up shop and just go back to the VFL.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Yep. Doing a Melbourne is pretty scary.
People harp on about them cutting old players like James McDonald but what has really hurt them is losing young guys and atrocious recruiting.

2/5 is barely a pass

:D

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saint6709
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:Yep. Doing a Melbourne is pretty scary.

2/5 is barely a pass
sorry but for me 2/5 is not a pass

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

My ideal scenario goes something like this

1. Petracca
21. Cockatoo
22. Gartlett
41 (or whatever) - Caleb Daniel

Pretty much build our midfield right there
When you throw in Dunstan, Billings, Acres...

you've got the makings of an elite midfield

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Knightmare's latest Draft: 5 Nov
Has WC nabbing cockatoo early

#21 St Kilda (via Brisbane from Brisbane from GWS) (end of first round compensation) - Corey Ellis (VIC – Util)
Height: 185cm, Weight: 76kg, DOB: 09/10/1996
Recruited from: Western Jets
Range: 8-25
Profile: Skillful type.

#22 St Kilda – Connor Blakely (WA – Mid)
Height: 186cm, Weight: 81kg, DOB: 03/02/1996
Recruited from: Swan Districts
Range: 10-30
Profile: Well-rounded midfielder.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Knightmare's latest Draft: 5 Nov
Has WC nabbing cockatoo early

#21 St Kilda (via Brisbane from Brisbane from GWS) (end of first round compensation) - Corey Ellis (VIC – Util)
Height: 185cm, Weight: 76kg, DOB: 09/10/1996
Recruited from: Western Jets
Range: 8-25
Profile: Skillful type.

#22 St Kilda – Connor Blakely (WA – Mid)
Height: 186cm, Weight: 81kg, DOB: 03/02/1996
Recruited from: Swan Districts
Range: 10-30
Profile: Well-rounded midfielder.
76 kegs and 185cm - needs to fill out for a good year or two!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Saints94
SS Life Member

Would be stoked with this combo:

1. Christian Petracca

21. Corey Ellis/Brayden Maynard/Alex Neal Bullen

22. Connor Menadue/Jarrod Garlett/Oscar McDonald

41. Ed Vickers Willis/Touk Miller/Harrison Wigg/Jackson Nelson

Rookie Draft:

1. Caleb Daniel

22. Cam Delaney

41. Shaun Mckernan

78. Adam Schneider

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Last night I was thinking about the issue of whether we recruit Reece McKenzie at picks # 21 or 22 ?

Allan Richardson and Aaron Hamill have both shown every indication that they were happy with Josh Bruce playing forward! They both think he can contribute and make it as a key forward as he has shown he can take of solid mark, is a reasonable set shot and most importantly provides good defensive pressure. We have to remember at the same age and with much less exposure to AFL as a kid BRUCE made the All Australian U18 side as a Full Forward.

Josh Bruce is an elite rower and has developed into a tall athletic defender and forward and was the first player signed to GWS from their 2010 Under”18 TAC Cup team.

He played one match for NSW/ACT at the 2009 NAB Under”18 Championships and in 2010 represented his state in each of their five matches, averaging 16 disposals, ranking number one with 53 contested possessions and 35 marks as well as scoring 15 goals ” ranked second.

He was one of only three bottom”aged players to be selected in the 2010 NAB AFL U18 All”Australian team.

He also played 11 matches at TAC Cup level where he averaged 14 disposals and took equal team”high 55 marks including 21 contested. He also scored 16 goals for the season.

Hence to recruit Reece McKenzie he would have to displace Bruce at FF as he doesn't have the flexibility of other talls and to be honest I think the coaches have decided on who they want as the full forward in the immediate future.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

With the above post in my mind I believe our recruiting at picks # 21 & 22 will include the best midfielder available eg Cockatoo, Blakely, Neale-Bullen and the best key defender available eg Marchbank, McDonald or Keitel.

If we take two midfielders at # 21 & 22 it will be because we have other plans in selecting a key defender at #41 or via the rookie draft.

If we are to take both McKernan and Petranka as rookies it will give us one live pick in the rookie draft. Given the success of our and other clubs rookie development I hope we are not cutting things too fine - some tough decisions still to made me thinks?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:Last night I was thinking about the issue of whether we recruit Reece McKenzie at picks # 21 or 22 ?

Allan Richardson and Aaron Hamill have both shown every indication that they were happy with Josh Bruce playing forward! They both think he can contribute and make it as a key forward as he has shown he can take of solid mark, is a reasonable set shot and most importantly provides good defensive pressure. We have to remember at the same age and with much less exposure to AFL as a kid BRUCE made the All Australian U18 side as a Full Forward.

Josh Bruce is an elite rower and has developed into a tall athletic defender and forward and was the first player signed to GWS from their 2010 Under”18 TAC Cup team.

He played one match for NSW/ACT at the 2009 NAB Under”18 Championships and in 2010 represented his state in each of their five matches, averaging 16 disposals, ranking number one with 53 contested possessions and 35 marks as well as scoring 15 goals ” ranked second.

He was one of only three bottom”aged players to be selected in the 2010 NAB AFL U18 All”Australian team.

He also played 11 matches at TAC Cup level where he averaged 14 disposals and took equal team”high 55 marks including 21 contested. He also scored 16 goals for the season.

Hence to recruit Reece McKenzie he would have to displace Bruce at FF as he doesn't have the flexibility of other talls and to be honest I think the coaches have decided on who they want as the full forward in the immediate future.
yep........white.. :wink:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:Hence to recruit Reece McKenzie he would have to displace Bruce at FF as he doesn't have the flexibility of other talls and to be honest I think the coaches have decided on who they want as the full forward in the immediate future.
I don't think Bruce will ever be a full forward. If playing forward, I think he's more of an oversized third target - not quite good enough to be the main man against the number one defender, but he can either run a big defender ragged or use his height to beat a smaller defender. He's hard working and agile so he can provide plenty of defensive pressure. McKenzie would be more of a stay-at-home FF who busts packs and demands the strongest defender - he's a bit of a liability once the ball hits the ground which is when we'd be hoping Billings, Petracca, Templeton etc can swoop. With all that said, I think we should mainly use Bruce in defence next year and give our other forwards a real shot.

My dream draft is Petracca, Cockatoo, McKenzie and Miller. All capable of playing senior footy in 2015 and would all slot into the senior side brilliantly. A team like this lining up early in the year would be very exciting:

B: Dempster, Delaney, Webster
HB: Savage, Bruce, Fisher
C: Acres, Armitage, Newnes
HF: Billings, Riewoldt, Petracca
F: Templeton, White, Lee

Foll: Hickey, Steven, Dunstan
Int: Cockatoo, Montagna, Wright, Gilbert

Emg: Membrey, Geary, Longer

avid
Club Player

that would be a very exciting team indeed.
and that's without Ray, Weller, Shenton, and several others
watching this team grow should be good viewing.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

mad saint guy wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:Hence to recruit Reece McKenzie he would have to displace Bruce at FF as he doesn't have the flexibility of other talls and to be honest I think the coaches have decided on who they want as the full forward in the immediate future.
I don't think Bruce will ever be a full forward. If playing forward, I think he's more of an oversized third target - not quite good enough to be the main man against the number one defender, but he can either run a big defender ragged or use his height to beat a smaller defender. He's hard working and agile so he can provide plenty of defensive pressure. McKenzie would be more of a stay-at-home FF who busts packs and demands the strongest defender - he's a bit of a liability once the ball hits the ground which is when we'd be hoping Billings, Petracca, Templeton etc can swoop. With all that said, I think we should mainly use Bruce in defence next year and give our other forwards a real shot.

My dream draft is Petracca, Cockatoo, McKenzie and Miller. All capable of playing senior footy in 2015 and would all slot into the senior side brilliantly. A team like this lining up early in the year would be very exciting:

B: Dempster, Delaney, Webster
HB: Savage, Bruce, Fisher
C: Acres, Armitage, Newnes
HF: Billings, Riewoldt, Petracca
F: Templeton, White, Lee

Foll: Hickey, Steven, Dunstan
Int: Cockatoo, Montagna, Wright, Gilbert

Emg: Membrey, Geary, Longer
MSG he (Bruce) has played what 2-3 games in the position, I'll back Richo and Hammers opinions and they think he will make it!

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Bruce to the forward line and Reiwoldt to the wing

Nee!
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

I also really like Bruce up forward.

Strong, aggressive, tackles hard, agile... and quick! :twisted:

That injury was bad timing. :( He was also just starting to hold those contested marks, and he seemed to be getting settled and more confident with his shots on goal. 'Settling' in I guess you could call it. :D

Was becoming a very dangerous proposition for opposition backs to think about.

And he can still be swung back at times if needed. However, allowing for the very small sample size re games played, I reckon that Bruce looked better up forward. Seemed to lose his man at times in defense(?)

So I reckon we still need a CHB. I agree with our Pluggster that McKernan ain't up to AFL standard.

If fit (or possible to get him fit), then I'd love to get hold of Cam Delaney. And just think of the footy romance of having two bros' holding down our key defensive posts. 8-)

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:I also really like Bruce up forward.

That injury was bad timing. :( He was also just starting to hold those contested marks, and he seemed to be getting settled and more confident with his shots on goal. 'Settling' in I guess you could call it. :D

And he can still be swung back at times if needed. However, allowing for the very small sample size re games played, I reckon that Bruce looked better up forward. Seemed to lose his man at times in defense(?)

So I reckon we still need a CHB. I agree with our Pluggster that McKernan ain't up to AFL standard.

If fit (or possible to get him fit), then I'd love to get hold of Cam Delaney. And just think of the footy romance of having two bros' holding down our key defensive posts. 8-)

You don't mess with the Delaney boys!

Nee!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:I also really like Bruce up forward.

Whats this our pluggster rubbish? Anyway forget all these ordinary non proven AFL footballers. They aren't going to help the side get up the ladder but they will ensure we stay down the ladder.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Update time

21 - Weller (Blakely, Ellis)
22 - Lamb (Marchbank, Maynard)
41 - Touk Miller

78 -> Rookie upgrades - Weller, Templeton, Shenton, Minchington

DFA - Membrey

PSD 1 xxxxx

Rookies (from) Schneider, McKernan, Petrenko, Jeremy Taylor, Caleb Daniel,
Keenan Ramsey, Taylor Grace, Josh De Luca, Ryan Lim, Nick Mellington, Garrett McDonagh
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Tue 18 Nov 2014 8:28pm, edited 6 times in total.

Hold your ground :shock:
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

MCG-Unit wrote:Update time

21 - Weller
22 - Lamb
41 - Touk Miller

Next
78 -> Rookie upgrades - Weller, Templeton, Shenton, Minchington

DFA - Membrey

PSD 1 xxxxx

Rookies (from) - Schneider, McKernan, Petrenko, Jeremy Taylor, Caleb Daniel, Keenan Ramsey,
Ryan Lim, Nick Mellington,
:shock:

That's going backwards MCGU.

- Weller is too small and is an outside only player - no receivers is my mantra.
- Lamb I've totally gone off. Too many major (quite possibly fatal) flaws if that Knightmare assessment is even partially accurate.
- The Toukster at 41 however would be very good value.
- Ditto for Caleb D as a rookie pick. Would he really last till then...?

Which way in the pecking order is my man the Cockatoo moving?

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave we need at least 2 or 3 outside running receivers. Our problem is we have to many who go and get the ball where as we need more Billings types.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Dave McNamara wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:
21 - Weller
22 - Lamb
41 - Touk Miller

Rookies (from) - Schneider, McKernan, Petrenko, Jeremy Taylor, Caleb Daniel, Keenan Ramsey,
Ryan Lim, Nick Mellington,
:shock:

That's going backwards MCGU.

- Weller is too small and is an outside only player - no receivers is my mantra.
- Lamb I've totally gone off. Too many major (quite possibly fatal) flaws if that Knightmare assessment is even partially accurate.
- The Toukster at 41 however would be very good value.
- Ditto for Caleb D as a rookie pick. Would he really last till then...?

Which way in the pecking order is my man the Cockatoo moving?
Weller - 181/71 - he's not that small. Knightmare's mock draft has him at 16 - and a draft range of 5-15. In KM's profile on Weller he states ...."not a soft outside player..." Of the better mock drafts on BF, Weller is rated at going around 5 -- 8. Paige C says he can play inside. I always prefer inside types if possible, but Saints have a slowish midfield and need more runners - and he is a deadly kick.

Maybe he didn't interview all that well (esp with GC) as he wants to play with Mav - perhaps get the best out of both? Also due to injury don't think he tested at the Combine. - so he might slide. The best players could be gone by 21-22, process of elimation, who's going to left at the Saints picks.

Lamb - Knightmare has listed some faults - yet he still has him going at 17 - with a draft range of 6--25. Can't be that flawed.
What I like, he is versatile, very athletic & major upside I reckon. 192/83. Very good draft Combine. Also as part of the AIS program, he trained with the Saints, so they had more chance to see him.

Cockatoo - Reckon he goes to WCE at 11, NM at 16 or Ess at 17. Won't be there for the Saints IMO
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Sat 08 Nov 2014 3:21pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hold your ground :shock: