Picks 21 and 22 options

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Picks 21 and 22 options

Dave McNamara wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:I only want blokes who relish scrapping for the footy when necessary. That's my non-negotiable.
Every single player in the AFL can win their own ball but we want players who receive it more than win their own ball.
- I can't agree with re "every single player in the AFL can win their own ball".
And what a silly comment about if players could win their own ball then ranking would come to disposal and work ethic. That's plainly wrong because not every players wins the same own ball.
What do you mean by "not every players wins the same own ball", Pluggs?

If every player could win his own footy, then none of them would be struggling to get a kick. By definition that'd have to be a given.

Hence, players would then be ranked on 'hunger' (how often they could be bothered to go and win a kick) and 'disposal efficiency'.

Because Dave some dont read the game as well and some also have other attributes to their game. Some players win 60% of contested ball and others like Billings win about 25% of their own ball. Watts is just higher than that so even he wins his own ball. If everyone won 60% of their own ball as you seem to want then it wouldn't be given out to the runners like Smith and Stratton at the Hawks. We need more outside running players especially like the 2 I just mentioned. We have enough inside players especially when we get Petracca. Surely it isn't that hard to understand Dave. I don't even get what you want. Do you want all our recruits to play like Armo. I want 3 out of our next 4 mids recruited to play like Billings who is clearly an outside player. And there is nothing wrong with that.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

That is right P66. We need outside players that are damaging by foot and that can run.

older saint
SS Life Member

Best thing for us is that a couple smokey's picked in the first 20 and everyone falls down the chain. That is the only way i see Lamb or Garlett being available there.

History shows does happen though

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Very skeptical on Lamb would prefer other options if possible!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Very skeptical on Lamb would prefer other options if possible!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:Very skeptical on Lamb would prefer other options if possible!
Try the beef. ;)

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Hi Pluggs and Rols, I've never said that I don't want, nor that we don't need, blokes who can get the ball on the outside and run n' deliver.

What I remain adamant on is that I don't want blokes who can't win their own footy.

And these blokes definitely exist. Like Wattshegoodfor or that snipe-then-fall-over Guerra. :evil: Wattshegoodfor in particular, is proof that some blokes in the competition can't win their own footy. If he could actually win his own contested footy, combined with his skill set, then he would actually be a champion! So why is he a dud? Not coz of any lack of skill or pace. Because he can't actually win the footy! :idea:

Definitely however, the likes of Billings and Dal Santo do not fit that can't-earn-a-kick category.)

Every player must be able to win his own hotly contested footy as required... and relish doing so. :twisted:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Geez I hope we find some decent tall defenders along the way. Not much mileage left in fisher and Gilbo me thinks, and Dempster though he's not a tall as such.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:Hi Pluggs and Rols, I've never said that I don't want, nor that we don't need, blokes who can get the ball on the outside and run n' deliver.

What I remain adamant on is that I don't want blokes who can't win their own footy.

And these blokes definitely exist. Like Wattshegoodfor or that snipe-then-fall-over Guerra. :evil: Wattshegoodfor in particular, is proof that some blokes in the competition can't win their own footy. If he could actually win his own contested footy, combined with his skill set, then he would actually be a champion! So why is he a dud? Not coz of any lack of skill or pace. Because he can't actually win the footy! :idea:

Definitely however, the likes of Billings and Dal Santo do not fit that can't-earn-a-kick category.)

Every player must be able to win his own hotly contested footy as required... and relish doing so. :twisted:

Every single player in the AFL wins their own ball. Some like Billings and Watts receive more than they get and that is exactly how we want Billings to play. We need more receivers or outside players. Dal won nearly half his ball contested where as Billings is on 20%. That will increase but we certainly don't want him to go get the ball to much at all. He is a finisher and we need at least 3 more of them with hopefully some pace. The Hawks have shown how you need outside players as well as inside.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

plugger66 wrote:Every single player in the AFL wins their own ball.
Really? :shock:

If so, then why isn't Wattshegoodfor a champion?

Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Watts is no good because he doesn't run and carry and hit up targets when he does receive the ball.
He can't do what Suckling can.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

Goose is king wrote:Watts is no good because he doesn't run and carry and hit up targets when he does receive the ball.
He can't do what Suckling can.
Fair point Goose is, but the guy went at draft pick number one coz he was meant to be an elite centre half forward.

And what stops him being the champion CHF that he was touted to be? I don't think it's an inability to hit targets...

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

Nakia looks damn good in the tri-panel. 8-)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:

What sort of question is that. Firstly the name is very childish and secondly I don't even get your point but lately that has been very consistent. Every single AFL player wins their own ball. How anyone could argue differently is very confusing. Some win it more often than others.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:Image

Nakia looks damn good in the tri-panel. 8-)

Reminds me of Gilbert McAdam a bit.

Siposstar#2
Club Player

Wow I'd love to get Cockatoo, his body looks ready for round one :)
Please slide to us

Formerly posted as magnifisaint 35
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:

What sort of question is that. Firstly the name is very childish and secondly I don't even get your point but lately that has been very consistent. Every single AFL player wins their own ball. How anyone could argue differently is very confusing. Some win it more often than others.
If a bloke is six foot six, fast, agile, skillful... and not injured... why isn't he the champion CHF that he was touted to be...?

Pluggs, do you think that just maybe, it could have something to do with the fact that he can't actually get a kick...? :idea:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:

If a bloke is six foot six, fast, agile, skillful... and not injured... why isn't he the champion CHF that he was touted to be...?

Pluggs, do you think that just maybe, it could have something to do with the fact that he can't actually get a kick...? :idea:

Because he isn't good enough to be a champion. Why isn't Kruezer a champion? And yes it maybe to do with him not getting a kick but he does get a kick. He gets 15 possessions per game and just over 5 are contested. Fractionally more than Billings. By the way he isn't 6 foot 6, he is closer to 6 foot 4 what ever that means. And you can use emoticons all you like but it still makes you argument ridiculous.

Club Player

I'm with Dave on this one, watts can't win the hard ball - he skirts the pack looking for the easy possie. if Melbourne put him up for trade they would get no takers. he is one who shows that statistics tell us nothing.
the comparison with Billings is laughable.

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

How is Watts relevant to the price of fish in Siberia?

I actually agree with plugger that a young Birchall or Isaac Smith style player would be a very handy addition at the Saints to compliment our 'grunters' (Ross, Weller, Armo, Dunstan, Petracca).

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

6621104 wrote:I'm with Dave on this one, watts can't win the hard ball - he skirts the pack looking for the easy possie. if Melbourne put him up for trade they would get no takers. he is one who shows that statistics tell us nothing.
the comparison with Billings is laughable.

Hilarious. Who cares about Watts apart from Dave? The point which you have completely missed is every AFL player gets their own ball. Some like Watts and Billing get it less than others. Stats show Watts gets slightly more contested ball than Billings but who cares. All I know is we need more outside run and carry. The contested part takes care of itself

Club Player

I suspect you are deliberately obtuse, if we put Billings up for trade most teams would jump, WHO would take Watts???

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

6621104 wrote:I suspect you are deliberately obtuse, if we put Billings up for trade most teams would jump, WHO would take Watts???

I have no idea what that has to do with the topic. I was comparing them as similar outside players. Armo and Lenny are both inside but one is much better than the other. Billings looks like he will be better than Watts. Doesn't change the fact they both get their own ball but are better as outside players.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I think every single club would take Watts. The question is what would they give up for him? Probably a pick 20 or so would be about right.

Similar to a Rhys Stanly imo. (So I guess Watts is relevant to this discussion after all).