Phillip Hughes RIP

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigballs
Club Player

Re: Phillip Hughes RIP

Bloody hell, what an absolute tragedy. Like everyone else I was hoping he'd pull through and get back to enjoying the game he loved so much.

I feel absolutely gutted and so very sad for his family, friends, team mates and for everyone who knew him and for Sean Abbott who delivered the ball, can't imagine what he is going through right now.

Rest in peace Hughesy you'll be sadly missed.

oh when the
Club Player

I am also devastated by the sad news. A guy going to work doing something he loved and never came home.
Just give your loved ones a hug tonight and treasure every minute you have with them.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Tragedy. God what a shock. I know people die from accidents every day. When it's someone like that, with his story and still so much unfulfilled promise, it really hits home.
Very sad about it.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Let's hope he can be an organ donor. That's the only slither of good that could come from this.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Bloody gutted. Just an absolute tragedy, no other word for it.

If you are on Facebook, give Sean Abbott's page a like, just to let him know people are not blaming him for anything. The kid would be hurting real bad. 22yo.

So upsetting seeing the press conference etc.

Just a bloody shocking day.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Yes SEN, poor Sean. Such an incredibly tragedy, and one that will continue to ache for him.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Good needs to come of this. Kids need to grow up wearing helmets.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

Empty ... unbelievable ... stunned.
Vale.
Thank You.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
snoopygirl
SS Life Member

Was looking forward to seeing him get back into the test team. :cry:

One of the guys at work just stood up & said: he died & the whole office of > 200 people just went silent. This has affected not just the cricketing community but everyone.

RIP Phil, you were born on the same day as my daughter. I can't begin to imagine what your family must be going through.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Question: Should the first test next Thursday go ahead?
My initial thoughts was yes as it's a full week after the death, but I didn't factor in the funeral which will I assume be early next week. That, along with a big wake following it will take a significant mental and physical toll on the players - not just the Aussie team but the South African's also.

So given this, I think the test should be cancelled

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Question: Should the first test next Thursday go ahead?
My initial thoughts was yes as it's a full week after the death, but I didn't factor in the funeral which will I assume be early next week. That, along with a big wake following it will take a significant mental and physical toll on the players - not just the Aussie team but the South African's also.

Hard to know. Imagine being an Australian player and having to front up for the rigours of a test match with this tragedy still fresh.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

If the test goes ahead it means the family have decided to have the funeral after the test so that wont be an issue. Their mental state maybe though.

sax
Club Player

Aren't we playing India?

Foundation Social Club Member No. 296
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I reckon he'd want it to go ahead. The show must go on, but any player who is too distraught to play should be allowed to sit it out.

It's an absolute tragedy. So sad for his family.

CarlD
Club Player

Unbelievable and tragic accident. RIP Phil Hughes.

Dave Warner was good mates with Phil and it could go either way whether he plays in the Test or not. If he does, I suspect the Indian bowlers better watch out because he will be on a mission.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

If the test goes ahead it means the family have decided to have the funeral after the test so that wont be an issue. Their mental state maybe though.
Pretty tough on the family to have to wait almost 2 weeks for the funeral. Can't see that as an option TBH.

Sutherland on the wireless said a week is a long time and the standard spin that they hadn't discussed what to do with the test as yet.

Commercial pressure to play would be huge - ratings would be massive for day 1 and it could well be a sellout.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Pretty tough on the family to have to wait almost 2 weeks for the funeral. Can't see that as an option TBH.

Sutherland on the wireless said a week is a long time and the standard spin that they hadn't discussed what to do with the test as yet.

Commercial pressure to play would be huge - ratings would be massive for day 1 and it could well be a sellout.

It would have to be well over a week anyway because of the coroner so it may only be 2 or 3 days later. The family will decide if there is a test or not.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

I don't think cricket is going to have much option other than to ban the bouncer.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:I don't think cricket is going to have much option other than to ban the bouncer.

Rubbish. It shouldn't even be discussed. It would just make it a batsman game and that would wreck the game.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:I don't think cricket is going to have much option other than to ban the bouncer.

Rubbish. It shouldn't even be discussed. It would just make it a batsman game and that would wreck the game.

It was only 2 weeks ago that a bloke had his jaw fractured.

Imagine for a second, if this tragedy happened again?

I mean, a bloke gets concussed or gets a blood nose in the AFL and everyone wants to change the rules to protect the head. Mum's everywhere are apparently ripping their kids out of junior footy all over the country.

Imagine the impact this will have on cricket. And then imagine the impact on the sport if it happened again.

I liken it a bit to the way we all used to laud Brereton and Lockett for being tough 15-20 years ago. Because they were. The game was played that way. We loved it.

But now if a bloke does what they used to do, we cringe a bit and it gets condemned.

I actually can't imagine the general public watching Mitchell Johnson pinging bouncers every second ball at the heads of the Poms in the same light as we all did last summer.

Whilst last year I sat there and loved every second of it, if I saw it now I'd be very uncomfortable and find it pretty unsavoury.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

It was only 2 weeks ago that a bloke had his jaw fractured.

Imagine for a second, if this tragedy happened again?

I mean, a bloke gets concussed or gets a blood nose in the AFL and everyone wants to change the rules to protect the head. Mum's everywhere are apparently ripping their kids out of junior footy all over the country.

Imagine the impact this will have on cricket. And then imagine the impact on the sport if it happened again.

I liken it a bit to the way we all used to laud Brereton and Lockett for being tough 15-20 years ago. Because they were. The game was played that way. We loved it.

But now if a bloke does what they used to do, we cringe a bit and it gets condemned.

I actually can't imagine the general public watching Mitchell Johnson pinging bouncers every second ball at the heads of the Poms in the same light as we all did last summer.

Whilst last year I sat there and loved every second of it, if I saw it now I'd be very uncomfortable and find it pretty unsavoury.
Don't want to get into that on this thread but they cant ban the bouncer because it would wreck cricket. It wont happen. They will just look at better helmets.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

It would have to be well over a week anyway because of the coroner so it may only be 2 or 3 days later. The family will decide if there is a test or not.
Who said it's going to the coroner?

Is that a fact or guess??

Moods
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Who said it's going to the coroner?

Is that a fact or guess??
Fact. All unexpected deaths go to the coroner initially. There will be an inquest as well I reckon, most likely an open hearing. Coroners don't just investigate how ppl died but also why they died. He/she may make recommendations that are often taken up by legislators.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

He was hit in the neck which severed a major artery. He wasn't hit in the head. It was a freak accident. One in a billion. So horribly sad for everyone concerned but cricket must go on and the game shouldn't be changed IMO.

Saintsational Legend

theres no way.
... short pitched bowling at the upper body and head is in the armoury.

Bowled it.
Loved bowln it , 'n i was good at it ... viscious.

Faced it.
Didnt love it all that much.
Wasnt real good at it.

But i was a target coz i bowled it.

Crickets tests and retests ones character.
Boys playing with a rock and a stick.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.